The Official DSLR/DRF Threadⓥ

Guest erure

well..i like photography but more as a hobby. Debated between Canon XTi and Nikon D40...got the D40 when it first few days it came out on December because of the lower cost. Great camera and all and i actually took lots of great photos with just the len kit tat came with it. My first Nikon...i been a Canon person since both my old non-DSLR cameras were Canon.

Heres one pic i took from my trip =)

Egg-Yolk--Orangey-and-Yummy.jpg

~Wilson

Love this shot. Maybe straighten that horizon a little though. ;) Or maybe my eyes are crooked. :wacko::lol:

it's beautiful there. i'd go there more often if i lived closer. but im up in LA, and it's a long drive to and back!

Definitely a beautiful place and yeah, quite far from LA. Sometimes it's nice just to go once in awhile. Occasionally I'll drive out to SM Pier or Venice Beach just to soak up some new stuff, but Laguna's only 20min away. :w00t:

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It'll depend on your level of experience with photography, how deep you plan on getting into it, how much can you afford, and how much power and versatility you need. If you can help answer those questions for us, we can help you answer that question for you. :)

would you guys recommend a Nikon D40 or D80? Which one would be better?

Of course the D80 is better but I have no clue as to which one will be better for you with the 2 sentences you gave us ^^;;

Guest EYJAYJAY

chaosii i reallly like that pic!! no bruce your eyes arent messed up haha it is a bit crooked, but it's really nice overall. i like the mood it sets

[edit] oh and you used tripod in that picture right?

hey sup everyone. aj introduced me to this thread, and though i rarely even go into the tech section, i thought i'd introduce myself anyway. name's bruce but most know me as brusky. i shoot with an xt with the kit lens as well as the 28-135 is usm. i've got that canon bag up there ^^ and though it can be a bit cumbersome to lug around, i don't mind. provides ample protection and has plenty of room for two bodies along with a few lenses. lots of little pockets for your lens wipes, extra batteries and cards, and whatever else you might carry. mm..photography's just a hobby (i'm a graphic designer) and i can't say i've taken any classes to teach me anything. you can check out my work in the links in my sig or visit www.flickr.com/photos/brusky :)

I checked out a lot of your photo threads and your pictures are really great! I also felt that we took photos of similar things [except yours are better by far >////<] -- I recently went to a few beaches around San Diego with photo buddies ^^ Anyway nice to meet you ^0^

Guest miranduh

thanks alot guys!

and yeah i know i won't bring that to a rock concert unless i was a official photographer ^^''

but i used that as an example since they do alot of fast movements under weird lighting ^^'

chaosii i reallly like that pic!! no bruce your eyes arent messed up haha it is a bit crooked, but it's really nice overall. i like the mood it sets

that's good to know haha..except i've got permanent wide-screen vision :D

I checked out a lot of your photo threads and your pictures are really great! I also felt that we took photos of similar things [except yours are better by far >////<] -- I recently went to a few beaches around San Diego with photo buddies ^^ Anyway nice to meet you ^0^

hehe thanks minji.v :) i took most of them with a cybershot w1, but i'm glad i've upgraded to the flexibility of an slr with interchangeable lenses and selective focus. <3 you should share some of your shots too :)

Guest chaosiii

@Brusky:

haha thanks for the input...ill change it when i can since im a Photoshop noob xD. Yes, i like this shot too...i took shots of the sun going down the mountain haha...but i like this one the best i guess. Ur shots on ur thread is awesome...ur a professional photographer or u got some nice gear i bet xD.

im wilson btw..u?

@One.SHot:

thanks =)...and no i didnt use a tripod, unless my hand counts xD.

I never used tripods...too much of a hassle to carry around

I dont even own a tripod lmao xD

I am a amateur photographer hehe.

im wilson btw..u?

@Minji:

ohh cool..ur from SD...im from LAish area.

Bleh i want some photo buddies to go take pics.

Gosh whos in LA and up for it i wonder lmao.

Is there nice place for pictures down at SD?

im wilson btw

Guest malevolent.

I was reading through reviews and found out that the D40 is a better choice than the D50. Only drawbacks are no autofocus and the limited lens avaliablity for the D40. :\

Guest chaosiii

I was reading through reviews and found out that the D40 is a better choice than the D50. Only drawbacks are no autofocus and the limited lens avaliablity for the D40. :\

yes i got the D40 when it first came out...like the 2nd day it came out

it is better than the D50 according to reviews since its like a replacement of it in a sense.

the price is way cheaper too and i absolutely love mines

it does have autofocus...but only on specific lens

drawback is no viewfinder but i hate using it anyways

ask me if u got more questions or anythin about the D40 (:

@Minji:

ohh cool..ur from SD...im from LAish area.

Bleh i want some photo buddies to go take pics.

Gosh whos in LA and up for it i wonder lmao.

Is there nice place for pictures down at SD?

im wilson btw

Nice to meet you too! I'm a freshman at UCSD so I live in SD right now but my real home is in the bay area ^^ I found Oceanside to be a good place for some pictures -- I took a lot of decent ones the other day... Plus the sunset at Del Mar is decent too... ^^

Guest watcher

Nice to meet you too! I'm a freshman at UCSD so I live in SD right now but my real home is in the bay area ^^ I found Oceanside to be a good place for some pictures -- I took a lot of decent ones the other day... Plus the sunset at Del Mar is decent too... ^^

la jolla has beautiful sunsets as well. can also take some interesting shots at the cove.

and when you have time, head towards downtown. you'll have a field day at horton plaza, and when it gets dark, gaslamp district!!!! heck, go there even without your camera... it's great!!!

chaosiii: i'd go out to shootouts with you, but i havent had much time lately to explore the city. :( LA's full of places to shoot... i just wish i had the time... argh!!!

I FINALLY TOOK THE TIME TO DO THE CLONE SHOT!!

IMG_1101aa5611.jpg

It only took an hour, taking the pictures and the photoshopping... I'm embarrassed though because I'm totally revealing my chunky butt and body and everything =____= Time for that diet and exercise... X_x

@Brusky:

haha thanks for the input...ill change it when i can since im a Photoshop noob xD. Yes, i like this shot too...i took shots of the sun going down the mountain haha...but i like this one the best i guess. Ur shots on ur thread is awesome...ur a professional photographer or u got some nice gear i bet xD.

im wilson btw..u?

yeah, that was a great shot you got :jealous: and no, i'm far from being any kind of professional haha. it's just a hobby for me, learning as i go. i'm not shooting with anything 'wow' either. xt with a 28-135 is usm. wish i could've gotten at least a 20D, but it's beyond my budget. :( oh, and i'm bruce btw. nice to meetcha wilson. :)

Mm..i'm just the opposite. i'm from down here in socal, but my new home'll be the bay area come august. quite excited to shoot SF :w00t:

la jolla has beautiful sunsets as well. can also take some interesting shots at the cove.

and when you have time, head towards downtown. you'll have a field day at horton plaza, and when it gets dark, gaslamp district!!!! heck, go there even without your camera... it's great!!!

amen.

I FINALLY TOOK THE TIME TO DO THE CLONE SHOT!!

IMG_1101aa5611.jpg

It only took an hour, taking the pictures and the photoshopping... I'm embarrassed though because I'm totally revealing my chunky butt and body and everything =____= Time for that diet and exercise... X_x

haha that's cool. i've always wanted to do it, but ughh, so lazyyy. looks cool though. :)

Guest malevolent.

yes i got the D40 when it first came out...like the 2nd day it came out

it is better than the D50 according to reviews since its like a replacement of it in a sense.

the price is way cheaper too and i absolutely love mines

it does have autofocus...but only on specific lens

drawback is no viewfinder but i hate using it anyways

ask me if u got more questions or anythin about the D40 (:

Which lens do you recommend that'll have autofocus? I heard the lens avaliablity is VERY limited for the D40.

Guest EYJAYJAY

ive been wanting to do the clone shot as well.. grr minji teach me!

one question too. when taking the pic, if there's an area that's bright to the point where it diminishes the details it's supposed to have while the remaining of the picture are perfectly fine, how would you fix it? mess with aperture/shutter/iso? and also, what can you do in PS? (happened to some of the pics ive taken recently (subject wearing white shirt) and i couldn't fix it and get much of the detail to show when i worked on it with curves and level. *is the ineffective post-modification due to not shooting it in raw format? i couldnt shoot it in raw at that time... my 2 gig mem chip wasnt enough at that time as it was already filled with some old pics and i left the other one back in my room)

Guest watcher

ive been wanting to do the clone shot as well.. grr minji teach me!

one question too. when taking the pic, if there's an area that's bright to the point where it diminishes the details it's supposed to have while the remaining of the picture are perfectly fine, how would you fix it? mess with aperture/shutter/iso? and also, what can you do in PS? (happened to some of the pics ive taken recently (subject wearing white shirt) and i couldn't fix it and get much of the detail to show when i worked on it with curves and level. *is the ineffective post-modification due to not shooting it in raw format? i couldnt shoot it in raw at that time... my 2 gig mem chip wasnt enough at that time as it was already filled with some old pics and i left the other one back in my room)

im not too sure about post-processing, since i dont hve much experience in that area, but if you have spot metering, you can meter against the brightest point in the picture and properly expose the bright area. it will underexpose the other areas though.

another technique you can try is bracketing, and then merging the images together. it's a little more work, but may get you the results you desire.

im not too sure about post-processing, since i dont hve much experience in that area, but if you have spot metering, you can meter against the brightest point in the picture and properly expose the bright area. it will underexpose the other areas though.

another technique you can try is bracketing, and then merging the images together. it's a little more work, but may get you the results you desire.

what did i tell you aj? you should listen to me :P

Archived