[HanCinema's Drama Review] "Oh Hae-Young Again" Episode 15

photo737136.jpg

Right away "Oh Hae-Young Again" gets on my good side by reminding me just what makes all its characters so charming. There's Hae-young with her optimism, Hoon and Anna with their exuberance, Soo-kyeong with her garbled French, Jin-sang with his paralyzed indecision, and Do-kyeong with his power to surprise the surpriser. I really do love the cast in "Oh Hae-Young Again". They all bring genuine charm to their characters, and this works to elevate roles that in the hands of a lesser performer would have been forgettable.

But one point is a major worry- the pacing. While "Oh Hae-Young Again" has been extended to eighteen episodes, I honestly have trouble seeing how there's even enough material left for one. We're given the final crucial piece of context that behind Do-kyeong's life-threatening vision, and it's distressing to think that of all Do-kyeong's personality traits, his inability to leave a situation alone may be what ends up getting him killed. He really just does not have much sense in that department.

Admittedly, if Do-kyeong did have sense in that department, he may not even be with Hae-young at all right now. Alas their relationship is threatened here by a dynamic which does make sense but which ultimately does not impress me. A decent romance can only be threatened by so many factors before it descends into self-parody, although I suppose this episode does at least explain why Hae-young could not be bothered to make a simple phone call last episode.

Elsewhere "Oh Hae-Young Again" definitely improves on itself. Soo-kyeong's attitude is much more nuanced. We see more of that self-hating depressive bite that gives her character energy. I think Soo-kyeong realizes, on some level, that simply giving up on Jin-sang is a bad idea, yet at the same time she needs to be realistic with her options. A pregnant woman in her forties really doesn't have the luxury of being romantic.

Unfortunately the preview gives an indication that this subplot, almost perfectly described in its big climactic moment where Jin-sang struggles to see if he can complete Soo-kyeong's request, will be stretched out in the extra episodes just like everything else is going to have to be. It's all rather disappointing. So much of "Oh Hae-Young Again" is so very funny- Jin-sang's imagination sequence is absolutely fantastic. But without proper context, it's easy to see how the drama can wear out its welcome sooner rather than later.

Review by William Schwartz

"Oh Hae-Young Again" is directed by Song Hyeon-wook, written by Park Hae-yeong and features Eric Moon, Seo Hyeon-jin, Jeon Hye-bin, Ye Ji-won, Kim Ji-seok-I, and Heo Jeong-min

Watch on DramaFever

Episode 15

Watch on DramaFever

source : Hancinema

• Like 1

@icemaid Eric is very calm and quiet person. I saw him when filming Running Man in my university. He didn't say much words even though that time among all the guests, his name was the one people shout/ scream a lot. But like many Shinhwa fans said, he actually quite talkative with his Shinhwa brothers or someone he really close with.

Love Letter season 1 and X Man was the shows that makes me like Eric a lot. Because he was so cool. I never seen a cool guy like him in real life. While everyone try hard to get attention, he just being there, silent and all but still he got all the girls and grab people attention. He's kinda neighborhood oppa that you adore secretly.

• Like 2

Shinhwa′s Eric and Seo Hyun Jin are Lovey Dovey on ′Another Oh Hae Young′

Shinhwa′s Eric and Seo Hyun Jin, the best crazy-couple of Another Oh Hae Young, will boast their lovable on-screen chemistry.

Appearing in the 15th episode of cable channel tvN drama Another Oh Hae Young, which airs on the June 20, Do Kyung and Hae Young will satisfy their sweet romance to the fullest.

Shinhwa′s Eric and Seo Hyun Jin are Lovey Dovey on ′Another Oh Hae Young′

On this episode, Hae Young waits for Do Kyung to return home after work with an apron tied around her waist with a loving heart while Do Kyung endearingly gazes at Hae Young and expresses his love.

However, the audience′s worries grow as Do Kyung and Hae Young′s happiness is being fulfilled because the future of his fatal car accident nears.

Do Kyung gradually becomes aware of his future death approaching and the hearts of the audience are crushed. Eventually, Do-kyung′s anxiety is heightened when he foresees an image of someone in the vehicle that will be barreling towards him.

Also, in the preview, Do Kyung heartbreakingly narrates "Even if I die, wouldn′t I be able to die without fear if someone would hold my hand at my side?"

Additionally, Do Kyung reveals to Hae Young′s mother, Duk Lee, "I love Hae Young," but Duk Lee′s refusal to accept Do Kyung raises the curiousity of the audience as to whether Do Kyung and Hae Young love can be fulfilled.

Meanwhile, it is worth anticipating the possible romantic relationship between Soo Kyung and Jin Sang after their secret is exposed in this episode. Seo Ye Ji, Woo Hyun, and Seo Jun Young is scheduled to make a cameo appearance on Another Oh Hae Young.
Another Oh Hae Young episode 15 airs on the June 20 at 11PM KST.

Photo credit: tvN / enews

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, PutriSalju said:

@icemaid Eric is very calm and quiet person. I saw him when filming Running Man in my university. He didn't say much words even though that time among all the guests, his name was the one people shout/ scream a lot. But like many Shinhwa fans said, he actually quite talkative with his Shinhwa brothers or someone he really close with.

Love Letter season 1 and X Man was the shows that makes me like Eric a lot. Because he was so cool. I never seen a cool guy like him in real life. While everyone try hard to get attention, he just being there, silent and all but still he got all the girls and grab people attention. He's kinda neighborhood oppa that you adore secretly.

Thanks for the insight.

Glad to know he is only talkative to people who are really close to him. So still the strong silent type overall! :D Chatty guys are a put off.:lol:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, icemaid said:

Hahaha perhaps its just me, I always have a soft spot for the strong silent type! Talkative guy don't get me.:lol:

That's why I like him best as PDK (he talks little in his acting and yet "says" so much:wub:) compared to his other characters even though he was good in those as well. :)

And its so cool that as the leader of Shinhwa he lets the others do the talking, basking in the limelight while he quietly stands aside.....B) 

hahaha Eric isn't the talkative type.  He's more on the quiet/reserve/introvert side if I have to pick.  Of course when he's with Shinhwa members for those he knows well, he becomes playful person :)  I guess he doesn't want to scare those those he doesn't know well yet with his 4Dness? :) 

But yeah, when he's on shows, he's not the type that keep on talking or cutting people off.  More of a listener than talker :) 

• Like 2

I saw those instagram that posted Eric pictures and they all said Eric looks more handsome in real and some said looks younger. Not sure about younger looking, because I always see Eric looks older when wearing make-up in concert or dramas but he looks so much younger without make up on his face. Take example while practice with Shinhwa, in shinhwa broadcast or in his vapp.

Believe me, Eric is much more handsome in real life. PD OHYA said it's challenging to capture Eric in the camera because each angles of him will produce different feelings. Now I understand why the cameraman in OHYA always zoom in to his face from different sides not like other actors in this drama. Eric is one of beautiful man. The pictures of him not doing him justice. The more close up of his face, the more handsome we'll see him which is rare case since mostly when the camera too much zoom, the face of actors will turn out not too good. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, PutriSalju said:

I saw those instagram that posted Eric pictures and they all said Eric looks more handsome in real and some said looks younger. Not sure about younger looking, because I always see Eric looks older when wearing make-up in concert or dramas but he looks so much younger without make up on his face. Take example while practice with Shinhwa, in shinhwa broadcast or in his vapp.

Believe me, Eric is much more handsome in real life. PD OHYA said it's challenging to capture Eric in the camera because each angles of him will produce different feelings. Now I understand why the cameraman in OHYA always zoom in to his face from different sides not like other actors in this drama. Eric is one of beautiful man. The pictures of him not doing him justice. The more close up of his face, the more handsome we'll see him which is rare case since mostly when the camera too much zoom, the face of actors will turn out not too good. 

Hi Putri Eric looks so manly & handsome because of his masculine color. He's not as white skin as other Koreans are.  Together, these in some sense - color and built, I could say have been used as markers to portray and set standards for the perfect looking male to the audience. So, I guess as you said we need to see him in real life without the glare of lights on his face and touch ups of makeup.  Moreover we need to get out of movie/drama world, everything is not real there. Actors get paid to look good. They look different in movies/drama than in real life. Well, as they say : Beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder. :P

[HanCinema's Drama Review] "Oh Hae-Young Again" Episode 16

photo737523.jpg

To my great surprise, "Oh Hae-Young Again" actually does a really good job putting on the brakes and going "whoa now, looks like we need more episodes". Rumination is the order of the day, as characters ponder over whether or not they can really get a happy ending just by thinking happy thoughts. As it turns out Hae-young and Do-kyeong still have a lot of wreckage from past experiences floating around, and it's going to take more than a gentle push to solve these problems.

The good news? Hae-young and Do-kyeong have a genuinely strong bond. If one of them has a tough day, they can get reassurance from the other. The other Hae-young has largely disappeared as a factor in the story mainly because Hae-young and Do-kyeong aren't letting symbolic issues bother them anymore. Even bearing in mind that more tangible threats exist, the other Hae-young has been such a huge stumbling block for both of them that this qualifies as a serious accomplishment.

One such threat is Tae-jin, whose eye-for-an-eye mentality is technically no different from Do-kyeong's earlier in the drama. But Tae-jin is going into vengeance mode with his eyes wide open whereas Do-kyeong was blinded by drunken grief. Hae-young's take-down of Tae-jin as a character is brutal, unreleting, and well-deserved. And in tough contrast to her takedowns of Do-kyeong, there's no real exit path for Tae-jin except to admit that Hae-young is right. There's precious little evidence he ever really cared about her.

Ji-an also returns, mainly as a destructive force against Hae-young and Do-kyeong, but more subtly as a thematic obstacle for Soo-kyeong, whose storyline with Jin-sang is legitimately heart-pounding. I think it bears repeating- her "raise the child overseas" idea is really stupid, and I'm going to be upset if there's a timeskip indicating that she did that and it worked. Soo-kyeong's only model for a maternal figure is Ji-an and time and again we see that Ji-an is pretty much the worst possible person for this role.

Yet at the same time, Soo-kyeong is completely correct in her assessment of Jin-sang's shortcomings. What's more, Kim Ji-seok-I is excellent as a guy who is legitimately terrified of making huge life changes, especially when they involve a woman as intimidating as Soo-kyeong. This makes for a much more poignant and realistic personal struggle when it comes to modern relationships. Although really, across the board that's always been the main big strength of "Oh Hae-Young Again".

Review by William Schwartz

"Oh Hae-Young Again" is directed by Song Hyeon-wook, written by Park Hae-yeong and features Eric Moon, Seo Hyeon-jin, Jeon Hye-bin, Ye Ji-won, Kim Ji-seok-I, and Heo Jeong-min

Episode 16

Watch on DramaFever

source : Hancinema

• Like 2

IN OHYA thread I saw comments about how tired Eric looks these days. And I totally agree with that. This is not the first time we see him like this. I noticed from his QSS days, last episodes made him look deadly tired. Same as Spy Myung Wol and DoR. Somehow I think Eric should not take any dramas filming anymore except for pre-produced one, or he can take movies instead. But again, we don't know much why he didn't choose those. In DoR, SMW and QSS BTS, PDs seem like to hear his opinions and he also like to give his input and not just act according to what they said. I guess, this is why his energy more use up. I mean, instead of taking rest on set, he likes to discuss the best way of how the act could be carried out. Take exapmle of how the kisses or hug should be done in OHYA. Seo Hyun Jin just simply can ask "how we can do it?" But Eric was discussing it with PD perhaps he concerns about both party (himself and Hyun Jin) for doing those scenes. But I guess, that's part of the responsibility being male lead. 

Isn't it strange that most of casts in OHYA  from Seo hyun Jin, Kim Ji Seok, Yeh Ji Won even Ho Jong Min did interviews but none from Eric? Or maybe we'll get after drama finish? Anyway, I hope he have long rest before another activity started. Interviews, photoshoots, etc are the bonus for us but more importatnt is someone's health need to be maintained first. 

@willenette Nice to see OHYA can maintain their high ratings. I hope it will get more in the next episodes.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, PutriSalju said:

IN OHYA thread I saw comments about how tired Eric looks these days. And I totally agree with that. This is not the first time we see him like this. I noticed from his QSS days, last episodes made him look deadly tired. Same as Spy Myung Wol and DoR. Somehow I think Eric should not take any dramas filming anymore except for pre-produced one, or he can take movies instead. But again, we don't know much why he didn't choose those. In DoR, SMW and QSS BTS, PDs seem like to hear his opinions and he also like to give his input and not just act according to what they said. I guess, this is why his energy more use up. I mean, instead of taking rest on set, he likes to discuss the best way of how the act could be carried out. Take exapmle of how the kisses or hug should be done in OHYA. Seo Hyun Jin just simply can ask "how we can do it?" But Eric was discussing it with PD perhaps he concerns about both party (himself and Hyun Jin) for doing those scenes. But I guess, that's part of the responsibility being male lead. 

Isn't it strange that most of casts in OHYA  from Seo hyun Jin, Kim Ji Seok, Yeh Ji Won even Ho Jong Min did interviews but none from Eric? Or maybe we'll get after drama finish? Anyway, I hope he have long rest before another activity started. Interviews, photoshoots, etc are the bonus for us but more importatnt is someone's health need to be maintained first. 

@willenette Nice to see OHYA can maintain their high ratings. I hope it will get more in the next episodes.

I personally don't see him looking so tired these days of course there're are some bad days but in general he looks fine.  I see he's a bit slimmer than he at the beginning but other than that, he does well.  Eric has this little eye bag that would be more visible if he loose weight.  Some times it's more prominent because of weight loss that it become more noticeble than being tired.  :D  He doesn't seem to be the type that goes to dermatologist on a regular basis neither, except when he has a drama. XD

As for not taking drama filming any more other than pre-produce that means we'll probably not going to seeing him for years.... as pre-produce dramas are not that many. 

Just like any one, makeup under certain lighting may come out not as favorable but in general, his photo during drama / concerts are good.  I don't think he looks older because of makeup.  haha I mean like every one, there're time you look crappy make up on or not... and with a lot of filter apps one can do a lot of correction for the selfie that makes the pics/selfies look much better :)  Eric's style in real life is very simple and more on the casual side.  He loves t-shirts & shorts/cargo pants & flip flops in summer.  Hoodies and baggy pants in the Summer. 

This person spotted Eric filming Another Miss Oh and she said Eric is handsome in real life just like he does on TV.  :)

It's Eric's style that he often doesn't do interview during drama it seems.  It was the same during Discovery of Romance.  Only interviews done at the end when the drama finished.  He's definitely a quiet one :) 

Any way, I'm dreading the end of Another Miss Oh... can't believe it'll end next week.  I'm going to miss seeing him on screen as well as all those filming sightings.   Though I'm glad he gets to have that 3 nights trip in Phuket after the drama ends

• Like 3

2016.06.22 ‘Oh Hae-young Again’ staff finalizes script

(tvN)

The script for the finale of tvN rom-com “Oh Hae-young Again” has been completed on Wednesday, according to a news report by OSEN Wednesday.

Cast members including actor Eric Mun and actress Seo Hyun-jin are currently on location for the series’ 17th episode, while the finale will be the 18th.

“The staff of the drama is taking the utmost care to avoid a leak (of the draft),” a series staffer told OSEN Wednesday.

The staff initially set the deadline for the finale script by last weekend but last-minute fine-tuning was needed for the final scene, the news report said.

In Monday’s episode, Do-kyung (Eric Mun), who has the ability to foresee his future, predicted his death after a car accident caused by his love rival Tae-jin (Lee Jae-yoon), leaving viewers of the series questioning whether the series will have a happy ending or not.

Buoyed by the drama’s growing local popularity, tvN determined to air the initially 16-episode series for an extra week. The final episode will be aired on June 28.

By Son Ji-hyoung (json@heraldcorp.com)

Source: Korean Herald

• Like 1

I will miss OHYA casts... I like all of them equally. They seem really nice person. Very good team work. And the PD seems very nice person too. He really like joking around. Eric is lucky to have work with this kinda team production and actors. Hopefully next time, he'll get the same environment or even better one.

I'm happy all of casts get more recognition from public. Especially Hyun Jin. I heard she got lot of CF offers. Good for her. And of course I hope they'll enjoy their Phuket trip. Then after that, Eric will be busy for the Shinhwa upcoming album and those CEO stuff again. Such a hard working guy. Hopefullly, he stays healthy. Then...we need to deal with how difficult to see Eric since he so this low key person. Sighhhh... Lastly, my wish for him every year, hope he'll get married soon. Especially when he looks like hungry for having babies (everytime there are babies, he can't hold himself to not take pictures with them LoL).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PutriSalju said:

Hi Putri,  I do agree with you - especially in the finale'..... Based from the photos I've seen here it seems that they're still filming. I just hope this will be a happy-ending. I heard filming will be until the end of this week. As what I've read that the ending is still unknown - I guess this is true since I heard that the cast have yet to receive the script for the final episode. They're really working hard for this production. :P

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, PutriSalju said:

I will miss OHYA casts... I like all of them equally. They seem really nice person. Very good team work. And the PD seems very nice person too. He really like joking around. Eric is lucky to have work with this kinda team production and actors. Hopefully next time, he'll get the same environment or even better one.

I'm happy all of casts get more recognition from public. Especially Hyun Jin. I heard she got lot of CF offers. Good for her. And of course I hope they'll enjoy their Phuket trip. Then after that, Eric will be busy for the Shinhwa upcoming album and those CEO stuff again. Such a hard working guy. Hopefullly, he stays healthy. Then...we need to deal with how difficult to see Eric since he so this low key person. Sighhhh... Lastly, my wish for him every year, hope he'll get married soon. Especially when he looks like hungry for having babies (everytime there are babies, he can't hold himself to not take pictures with them LoL).

Putri, but Eric needs to have a GF first - hahaha. :P

• Like 2

Hahaha...@willenette....Yup, uri oppa needs to have girl first. I hope it's Seo Hyun Jin :P Kidding, whoever she is I'll support 100%. I heard rumour of him having girl friend and it's circulated among fans (and become secret society since k-fans keep talking about that), but again as long as 'not official' and we don't know it's true or not, it means he's free ;)

Random talks, I was lurking in ktown4u site which one of the site selling Shinhwa stuff and I'm so happy that Eric photobook selling in increased than last time. For A+B cover (74.59 USD) = 975 sold, cover A or B only (37.30 USD) = 1,505 sold out and poster (11.30 USD) = 674 sold out. And this is just from one site only. Remember there are like 5 international sites + more than 5 korean sites selling this before and all of them already sold out. Wow!!!! Eric actually already got huge money just by doing this photobook alone. I'm sure OHYA drama significantly increase the selling. Congrats to uri oppa. But I hope he won't release another photobook again. I prefer collaboration song or mini album :)

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, PutriSalju said:

Hahaha...@willenette....Yup, uri oppa needs to have girl first. I hope it's Seo Hyun Jin :P Kidding, whoever she is I'll support 100%. I heard rumour of him having girl friend and it's circulated among fans (and become secret society since k-fans keep talking about that), but again as long as 'not official' and we don't know it's true or not, it means he's free ;)

Random talks, I was lurking in ktown4u site which one of the site selling Shinhwa stuff and I'm so happy that Eric photobook selling in increased than last time. For A+B cover (74.59 USD) = 975 sold, cover A or B only (37.30 USD) = 1,505 sold out and poster (11.30 USD) = 674 sold out. And this is just from one site only. Remember there are like 5 international sites + more than 5 korean sites selling this before and all of them already sold out. Wow!!!! Eric actually already got huge money just by doing this photobook alone. I'm sure OHYA drama significantly increase the selling. Congrats to uri oppa. But I hope he won't release another photobook again. I prefer collaboration song or mini album :)

Putri, I'm curious who is that lucky girl in case it's true, huh? :P

QUIZ: Can You Guess Which Of These Celebrities Are Older?

Do you ever look at a celebrity and wonder if they’ve found the elusive fountain of youth? I sure do. Some of these people just don’t age at the same pace that we earthly commoners do. It’s so unfair. *cries*

Test your knowledge and see if you can guess who’s older among these celebrities that all age like fine wine.

(skipped unrelated.....)

Which of these charming actors is older?
Which of these charming actors is older?

LINK here : http://www.soompi.com/2016/06/22/quiz-can-guess-celebrity-older/

• Like 2