NBA

Guest Chioster

Guest DOVAHKIIN

I don't think any team's going to want an injury prone Arenas, his fat contract, and his baggage full of guns.

And yet people still take/took in similar players like the old Jail Blazers, Latrell Sprewell, Stephen Jackson, Ron Artest, and Jermaine O'Neal...

Arenas' contract isn't even a max salary, so he's tradeable for some teams out there in desperate need. Say what you want, Arenas' statistical and skill resume is still impressive enough to keep him a job somewhere in the NBA once he returns from suspension.

Besides, everyone is already assuming the worst of Arenas when the locker-room incident itself hasn't been clarified yet. The only indisputable fact is that Arenas brought unloaded guns to his locker and he didn't take it seriously enough. What happened exactly between him and Crittenton is still up for grabs.

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest j_and_d_show

i live by gilbert arenas (sick house) and he's gonna get shipped outta town pretty soon.

living in the DC area, we all know that guns are outlawed in the city... he can get a maximum sentence of 5 years per unloaded gun in prison... there were 4 guns. 20 yearS?? no way, not a rich baller like arenas but still, his days in DC are over.

we did a podcast a few hours ago on this topic http://janddshow.com/?p=678 so we'll summarize whats going on if you are interested.

Arenas' contract isn't even a max salary, so he's tradeable for some teams out there in desperate need. Say what you want, Arenas' statistical and skill resume is still impressive enough to keep him a job somewhere in the NBA once he returns from suspension.

He might still be impressive for teams to look at him, but not at the rate he's going at right now. 4 years left with a hefty contract, no team is going to touch that with his injuries and his baggage and with the current economic conditions. If his contract is voided in the future, I'm sure many teams will want him for a much lower price, but not at this moment.

Guest DOVAHKIIN

He might still be impressive for teams to look at him, but not at the rate he's going at right now. 4 years left with a hefty contract, no team is going to touch that with his injuries and his baggage and with the current economic conditions. If his contract is voided in the future, I'm sure many teams will want him for a much lower price, but not at this moment.

If any team does, my money is on the teams with recent bad free agent signings like the Pistons and Sixers.

Kind of the tired of the whole Arenas story, but here's an update from The Washington Post:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...ml?hpid=topnews

The most interesting points I took from the article:

Wizards guard Gilbert Arenas was charged Thursday with felony gun possession, a crime that carries a maximum five years in jail and a fine, authorities said.

Arenas's attorney and prosecutors had been negotiating a plea deal during the day and it was not immediately clear whether the filing of charges was a part of the deal. Court officials said they had been told to prepare to have Arenas in Superior Court on Friday.

The guns became an issue after Arenas and Wizards teammate Javaris Crittenton got into an argument after a card game and Crittenton allegedly said he should shoot Arenas in his surgically repaired left knee, sources have said. Days later on Dec. 21, at Verizon Center, Arenas placed the guns on a chair next to Crittenton's locker with a note that said "pick one."

The Wizards, who endorsed the suspension, have in the past week removed a banner with Arenas's image on it that covered part of the Sixth Street facade of Verizon Center, stopped displaying Arenas's No. 0 jersey and removed all references to him in the introductory video played before home games.

Arenas met Wednesday with Billy Hunter, the head of the NBA players union, to discuss his situation. Hunter said Tuesday he wanted to ensure that Arenas receives due process and doesn't want the punishment to exceed the transgression.

"You don't use a sledgehammer to drive a tack," Hunter said. "Right now, we're just waiting for the investigation to conclude and then we'll see what level or degree of discipline the commissioner is talking about imposing. And once the commissioner makes his decision, that will determine what extent we get involved and don't get involved."

Gilbert can say goodbye to his contract.

I doubt he'll get 5 years. I'm guessing he'll get 1 year of house arrest and another year of community service if it's just 1 count of felony gun possession.

Is there still a hearing or is that it regarding the 1 count of felony gun possession? I thought he had about 5 guns with him....

Is there still a hearing or is that it regarding the 1 count of felony gun possession?

There's a trial set for tomorrow, but negotiations regarding a possible plea deal took place earlier today. More details on the plea deal discussions can be found here: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...0011304260.html

The points of interest I took from it:

The sources said it was unclear whether the plea agreement would set Arenas's punishment as probation, community service, a fine or some combination. But the negotiations would ensure that Arenas would not go to jail, one of the sources said.

If the grand jury were to charge Arenas, he likely would face charges of carrying a handgun without a license, which is a felony and punishable by up to five years behind bars. Because he has said he had four guns in the Verizon Center locker room, he could face up to 20 years in jail.

Prosecutors could bring their own charge of possessing an unregistered firearm, a misdemeanor that carries a 12-month sentence.

The grand jury began hearing testimony in the case on Jan. 5. Since Arenas met with law enforcement authorities, Wizards Coach Flip Saunders, team President Ernie Grunfeld and players Fabricio Oberto, Randy Foye, Caron Butler, Brendan Haywood, DeShawn Stevenson, JaVale McGee, Mike Miller and Andray Blatche have also spoken to authorities or the grand jury. Players Antawn Jamison, Mike James, Dominic McGuire, Earl Boykins and Nick Young say they have not been asked to be interviewed.

An NBA official, on condition of anonymity, said league investigators met with many of the team's players this week. Union attorneys, including Billy Hunter, the head of the players' union, sat in on the interviews. The official added the NBA wants to conclude its investigation, which could result in further penalties to Arenas and some of his teammates, in the next week.

While at least three players testified to league officials they witnessed Crittenton chamber a round in his own gun, there are differences in their accounts. That, plus lack of proof that Crittenton took a weapon to the locker room, make it difficult for the NBA to severely punish the reserve guard, the official said.

I thought he had about 5 guns with him....

To re-quote the article:

If the grand jury were to charge Arenas, he likely would face charges of carrying a handgun without a license, which is a felony and punishable by up to five years behind bars. Because he has said he had four guns in the Verizon Center locker room, he could face up to 20 years in jail.

Guest DOVAHKIIN

He had four guns, but they're only charging him on one.

He's already entered the plea agreement, which will be little or no jail time at all.

I doubt house arrest is necessary; a huge fine, community service and few years of probation should slap enough on Gil if he doesn't get jail time.

Sad but athletes/celebs buy/fame their way out of jail.

Am I the only one who thinks the Dunk-In is a stupid gimmick?

DeRozan should be a guarantee. Him vs.... Eric Gordon? Err...

Guest PB&Banana

^

Dunk contest is the only thing worth watching...if any player creates something good.

If Bynum and Pao can play together like they did in the clippers game consistently I would be one happy fan.

it would just be a lot more glamorous if all stars participated.

and i don't like how lebron hyped it up by saying he would do it.

nate robinson again? at least it's not rudy gay. youtube suggestions my richard simmons.

bring back rudy fernandez. he deserves another shot.

Guest DOVAHKIIN

Rudy was robbed last year. But he picked a poor chose in a Spaniard partner in the contest. Should've asked Calderon or Rodriguez to lob up the pass.. 'cause you know, they're POINT guards, something Pau Gasol isn't..

Most stars decline to do it because they don't want to get injured.

DeRozan vs. Eric Gordon isn't even fair for the latter.

I'm pegging for GWallace and DeRozan finals

Guest PB&Banana

^

SB bring it home, I am rooting for him!

I don't know about the others but Ill make sure to look them up. It's time Nate to stop I would rather see derrick rose. The only thing I remember from Nate Robinson was when he messed up like 10 times and had to change to another dunk.

Jordan Farmar, Lamar Odom, and Shannon brown saved the game last night for sure.

Archived