Lee Joon Gi 이준기 | [Drama 2023] "Arthdal Chronicles: The Sword of Aramoon"

Admin

On 9/27/2016 at 10:03 AM, willenette said:

Hi cesar, in Korea, it has become a habit to continually edit the script to optimize ratings. Despite the lack of sleep and last-minute script deliveries, the cast are able to keep going for the sake of ratings. Ratings bring along recognition, and recognition is directly associated with CF contracts. For some, this could be a sufficiently sweet reward for lost sleep. In the ratings war producers tend to watch the audience’s reactions. If needed, the script will be modified, or even completely re-written. This places actors into a tough situation, as more often than not they would receive pages from a script a couple of hours or even minutes before shooting, while their hair or make-up is being done. South Korea is certainly not alone in the extremes that it will go to for ratings. The rating contributes to the sponsor. That's the entertainment industry for you. When dramas play the ratings game they win or they die. Death can mean simply losing money or being quickly forgotten. A badly performing drama can have its EP count reduced or dropped entirely. Currently, the motto going around the drama industry is “3-EPs.” If a drama doesn’t get good ratings within three episodes it’s unlikely to have a good run later on. Therefore, the lead to the pilot EP is as important as the broadcast itself. Despite all the tricks in the industry, in the end a drama’s job is to entertain its audience. :P

Hi @willenette wooowww you really are look like an expert while explained about the importance of the ratings. I really appreciated :) i think for now i hope that the MLSHR rating will increase so then it will give a good impact for the actors especially LJG :D

• Like 4

2 hours ago, willenette said:

[HanCinema's Drama Review] "Scarlet Heart: Ryeo" Episode 11

photo767417.jpg

Prince So's solution to the assassination plot against his brother was, as we see recapped at the beginning of this episode, rather needlessly dangerous. It was only through sheer force of will that Prince So was able to prevent an immediate crisis from breaking out. The actions of the other actors in the carnival of Goryeo politics render that sacrifice meaningless anyway, even if for another day, Prince So is able to save his brother. But is this really a sustainable plan?

The answer to that question is, of course, obviously not. Freaked out as Soo is by the supposedly inevitable royal massacre, time and again it's hard to see any other plausible outcome to the constant plotting in "Scarlet Heart: Ryeo". As usual the historical perspective is fairly interesting. The drama actually presents a pretty good political argument against polygamy- the surfeit of available princes provides some fairly perverse backstabbing incentives for just about everyone.

But on the more emotional level, the character contrast has more emphasis. Prince So knows that he lives in a genuinely vicious time period, and his generally desperate efforts to rise above that are reasonably inspiring. It is unfortunate that most of the time the only plan Prince So can come up with to solve problems is mass murder, but he's a man of limited skill sets, all of them related to being a tough guy.

Elsewhere, Prince Wook is more of a sweet, affectionate smart prince, who is obviously more in tune with Soo's modern sensibilities. Unfortunately, when faced with a similar ethical dilemma as what Prince So deals with on a regular basis, Prince Wook is forced to make a similarly bad choice. The issue is not intent. Whether Prince So or Prince Wook want to be a nice guy is besides the point. There's simply too many members of the royal family hanging around and no good way to get rid of them except through murder.

I'm perhaps being a bit overdramatic, since no royal family members actually die here. But other people do, and this is an intriguing ethical issue. Soo, too, is forced to realize that the only way to save the royal family is by sacrificing lesser palace staff as scapegoats. This is no more morally tenable, because even if Soo herself can expect a rescue, no one else can. That's a big helping of reality that can't be ignored by anyone going forward.

Review by William Schwartz

"Scarlet Heart: Ryeo" is directed by Kim Kyoo-tae, written by Jo Yoon-yeong and features Lee Joon-ki, IU, Kang Ha-neul, Hong Jong-hyeon, Nam Joo-hyeok, Baekhyun and Ji Soo.

Episode 11

Watch on DramaFever

source : Hancinema

I watched this episode last night and it was really a hearth breaking episode, especially when Lady Oh surrendered herself to save Hae Soo. I almost cry if my sister doesn't sit next to me. hehehehe. The touching moment is when Wang So protect Hae Soo from the rain while Wang Wook walk away and do nothing for her.

The story is become more interesting especially for the next episode. In the preview seems like Wang So and Wang Wook have a battle (but i am not sure what is the reason behind it).

• Like 8

15 hours ago, vyshiva said:

Shot from 11ep. Such sight oo!

Hide contents

c4785f936eef8b5e2d29.jpg

Oh my GOD! He is so......(i can't find the best word to describe how good he is in those picture). He can express his feeling (or i can say Wang So's feeling) through his eyes and expression. This scene is one of my favorite scene in yesterday episode.

• Like 12

Spoiler

TV

September 27, 2016

‘Scarlet Heart: Ryeo’ And ‘Moonlight Drawn By Clouds’ Viewerships Contrasts K-Drama Preferences Of Koreans To International Fans

For more than a decade, Korean dramas — better known shorthand as K-dramas — often has their directions decided for them in accordance to its core audience, the Korean K-drama fans. However, times are changing and the Korean audience, though considered the core audience, is no longer the majority. Because of South Korea’s movement to increase Korean culture internationally known as Hallyu or the Korean Wave, there are more fans living in international or foreign countries than those living domestically in South Korea. As a result, there is now a great divide among K-drama fans: the Koreans and the international viewers.

To truly see the affect of the great divide among K-drama fans, all one has to do is compare and contrast the popularity of two period dramas currently airing. They are Scarlet Heart Ryeo on the Seoul Broadcasting System (SBS) and Moonlight Drawn by Clouds on the Korean Broadcasting System (KBS).

Scarlet Heart Ryeo “Scarlet Heart: Ryeo” is a period K-drama airing on SBS. It stars Lee Joon Gi and IU. It is very popular among international K-drama fans. [Image by Seoul Broadcasting System (SBS)]

Scarlet Heart: Ryeo, also known by its other numerous titles including Scarlet Heart, Scarlet Heart: Goryeo, Moon Lovers, and Time Slip: Ryeo, is the period K-drama adaptation of the popular Chinese drama or C-drama Scarlet Heart which aired back in 2011. Starring Lee Joon Gi and IU, it is about a modern woman named Ko Ha Jin (IU) who is transported back in time to the Goryeo Dynasty in Korea. She wakes up in the body of Hae Soo encountering many important figures of the time including those living in the palace. She starts somewhat of a relationship with Eighth Prince Wang Wook but later falls in love with Fourth Prince Wang So (Joon Gi) while rivalries and politics ensue among the other princes for the throne.

Moonlight Drawn by Clouds, KBS, K-dramas “Moonlight Drawn by Clouds” is a period K-drama airing on KBS starring Park Bo Gum and Kim Yoo Jung. It is popular among Koreans as it dominates the viewership ratings. [Image by Korean Broadcasting System (KBS)]

Moonlight Drawn by Clouds, also known as Love in the Moonlight, is another period K-drama currently airing based on the story of the same name authored by Yoon Yi Soo. Starring Kim Yoo Jung and Park Bo Gum, it is a coming-of-age story about the Crown Prince Lee Yeong (Bo Gum) growing from a boy to a revered monarch. It also details his unique and peculiar relationship with Hong Sam Nom (Yoo Jung) a eunuch serving the in the palace who happens to be a woman in disguise.

Both K-dramas are very popular, but that depends on which group of K-drama fans we are talking about. Starting with the domestic fan base, the Koreans, Moonlight Drawn by Clouds is by far one of the most popular K-dramas currently airing. As of the airing of the 11th episode, the viewership ratings both in the Seoul National Capital Area and nationwide are about 20 percent average among AGB Nielsen Korea and TNS Media Korea. Unfortunately for Scarlet Heart: Ryeo, it has passed the double-digit ceiling only once with its second episode. In short, Moonlight Drawn by Clouds is popular among Koreans while Scarlet Heart: Ryeo is not.

Though Scarlet Heart: Ryeo is unpopular among Koreans, it is dominating the viewership internationally. According to a report by DramaFever News, the period K-drama recorded a record-breaking 300 million viewers in China over the course of three days starting on the day of its debut on Youku. It surpassed the initial debuts of both Descendants of the Sun and Uncontrollably Fond. Eventually, Scarlet Heart: Ryeo surpassed one billion views as of September 21, made known by Lee Joon Gi on his official Instagram in a “thank you” post. These numbers are favorable for the Chinese streaming site because it is the most expensive K-drama Youku has bought, with a total of $8 million USD. That is about $400,000 paid per episode.

Thank you 1 billion angel's !! ???? ❤Love You all ❤????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

A photo posted by 배우 이준기 a.k.a Actor JG !李準基 (@actor_jg) on Sep 21, 2016 at 12:14am PDT

It should also be noted that Scarlet Heart: Ryeo is the second most watched K-drama in North and South America exclusively through DramaFever. According to Raven Tait, a representative for DramaFever through The Lippin Group, Scarlet Heart: Ryeo has been the No. 2 show on the popular streaming site with over two million views since its premiere. The only K-drama surpassing it is Cinderella and Four Knights.

The question that needs to be asked is why is Scarlet Heart: Ryeo more popular among one certain group of K-drama fans while Moonlight Drawn by Clouds is more popular with another? The answers lie in the content. Without really spoiling either show, the former is melodramatic showing more suspense and action. There is more a sense of seriousness with the series. The latter is more light-hearted, in which dialogue and situations between characters can be very comedic. This does not mean Scarlet Heart: Ryeo is wholly serious, and Moonlight Drawn by Clouds is wholly light-hearted. There are parts in both K-dramas that deviate from their primary genres.

Ultimately, the fact there are K-dramas that cater specifically to Korean K-drama fans while others do the same to internationally K-drama fans shows that South Korean television is taking into account not all of their viewers are domestic. Their willingness to incorporate international fans’ preferences shows their willing to expand. To be frank, such a move is smart because the last thing Korean television, or Hallyu in general, wants to do is implode on itself, similar to what happened to Japan with J-pop and anime.

Scarlet Heart: Ryeo airs on Mondays and Tuesdays at 10 p.m. KST on SBS. For those who do not have access to it, the series can be viewed for free, with ads, exclusively on DramaFever. Take note the latest episodes, starting with the third episode, are exclusive to premium members for one week. Moonlight Drawn by Clouds airs the same as the aforementioned on KBS. For those who do not have access to it, the series can be viewed for free, with ads, exclusively on Viki.

[Featured Images by Seoul Broadcasting System (SBS) and Korean Broadcasting System (KBS)]

http://www.inquisitr.com/3536974/scarlet-heart-ryeo-and-moonlight-drawn-by-clouds-viewerships-contrasts-k-drama-preferences-of-koreans-to-international-fans/

Edited by LyraYoo
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, cesar33 said:

I watched this episode last night and it was really a hearth breaking episode, especially when Lady Oh surrendered herself to save Hae Soo. I almost cry if my sister doesn't sit next to me. hehehehe. The touching moment is when Wang So protect Hae Soo from the rain while Wang Wook walk away and do nothing for her.

The story is become more interesting especially for the next episode. In the preview seems like Wang So and Wang Wook have a battle (but i am not sure what is the reason behind it).

It was a perfect episode. The editing, cinematography, directing, music and acting are perfect. It was a heartbreaking episode that executed well. 

This scene was beautifully shot and meaningful. 

CtXb6a9VYAAWDsA.jpg

@cesar33  Interesting article but for me it doesn't answer the WHY question. Why do Korean audiences (at least on the basis of TV ratings) favor a coming of age or teenage story while an international audience favors a more mature subject?  Does it perhaps suggest to anyone else that it confirms who controls the remote in Korean homes? And more importantly but only hinted at in the article... which content is better for the future of Korean Entertainment? Which will carry more importance to advertisers?  Does Korea want to limit its advertising power only to those inside Korea? 

I think in looking at this objectively it also explains why MLSHR was sabotaged online and by whom..  Korean teenagers not only control the remote but tend to spend more time online in chat rooms and blogs.  They are the ones most often behind cruel online bullying and the ones most likely to be influenced by peers. They are also the ones most likely to grasp at any supposed weakness and exploit it. They are the ones who used the bad editing, bad directing, bad actor, bad music complaints to support a weak argument against MLSHR as a way to support their bias.   What some of us did was follow the lead of teenagers by guessing the reason for the low ratings based on cliche excuses.

• Like 5

Scarlet Heart Ryeo Lee Joon Gi Reveals Details Of Chemistry Between Wang So And Hae Soo

Scarlet Heart Ryeo Lee Joon Gi Reveals Details Of Chemistry Between Wang So And Hae Soo

Scarlet Heart Ryeo has been doing really well amongst the international audience. Though the show cannot boast of making it big in the home audience, it sure is making waves for the Korean television industry in the international market. Right in the centre of the wave is male lead of the show Lee Joon Gi

Lee Joon Gi gave an interview in which he revealed what goes behind making his character in Scarlet Heart Ryeo believable. He also talked about his chemistry with other co-stars like I.U. and Kang Ha-neul. In the interview, the star was seen full of gratitude for the love he has received from fans across the world.

Lee Joon Gi plays the character of the fourth crown prince Wang So who is seen falling in love with Hae Soo (Lee Ji-eun/I.U.). Lee mentioned that his character Wang So is the most comfortable around Soo. He says that the prince feels truly comfortable around Hae Soo and he believes she is the only one who has treated him kindly, reported Drama Fever.

Lee Joon Gi also talks about his co-star Kang Ha-neul who plays the role of Wang Wook in Scarlet Heart Ryeo. Wook and So’s relationship which is otherwise good gets conflicted due to their growing fondness for Hae Soo. Wook even declares in front of So that Hae Soo is all hers, and that the fourth prince should have nothing to do with her.

The look of Wang So was something that was marketed heavily by the network. It started off by showing Wang So in a veiled avatar with half of his face hidden. But as the plot progressed, he was seen removing his mask to reveal the scar on his face. When asked about the transformation in his look, Lee Joon Gi said that he was apprehensive of viewers being turned off by the scar but he was elated to know that looks hardly mattered to the viewers.

Lee Joon Gi is grateful to fans of Scarlet Heart Ryeo spread across Korea, China, Middle East and North America. The actor says he feels really encouraged when he reads nice comments on social media. The Korean charmer has asked fans to be prepared to see Wang So becoming stronger and more assertive in Scarlet Heart Ryeo in the coming few episodes.

http://www.movienewsguide.com/scarlet-heart-ryeo-lee-joon-gi-reveals-details-chemistry-wang-hae-soo/286895

LETS GIVE A LOT OF SUPPORT AND LOVE TO OUR LEE JOON GI :)

• Like 12

@minmar, there's no explanation really. It's just like that. Sometimes crappy shows get sky high ratings they don't necessarily deserve (not talking about MDBC though, I haven't watched it), and good shows are underrated. MLSHR is not a perfect drama but the low low ratings sure does not reflect the quality. Despite editing flows - that have now almost completely disappeared yeay - and off-putting OST - they took care of it too in the re-edited SBS version - the story and characters are highly entertaining. 

And once again, MLSHR might nit get recognized rating wise domestically, but thankfully it is a great success everywhere else ! :) And also, always trending on naver (most researched in the drama category ~). So, it's far from being under the radar.

The good thing with this drama, is that although it started slow, the story goes crescendo, and there are plenty of things left to anticipate. The most thrilling things even :) I'm totally a useless person those days, always waiting for monday and tuesday to come :P 
To compare, although Joseon Gunman was a good, quality drama - I loved it, and might also be one of the few who really enjoyed the main couple -, it went on in circle a little bit in the middle. I don't see it happening with Moon Lovers. 

So, in the end, I'm really glad LJG stared in Moon Lovers - it's an exciting drama despite the flaws, and Wang So is such a great character, brillantly portrayed and I can't wait to see his transition to Gwangjong - as painful as it might be.

• Like 13

@leesopark16 I agree with you! It puzzled me why MLSHR has more than 10K upvotes in the Naver comments for episode 11 but dismal and unproportional TV ratings. Even one of the commenters who have 1K upvotes said the same thing. I think more and more people especially the younger ones are watching online instead of on the TV. Also the first 3 episodes aren't really great to capture the audience coupled with the great idol acting backlashes. Many just choose not to watch the drama anymore. What a pity. 

Yes, the drama is written in the way that it progresses slowly, then it pick up with more and more things happening (more and more death in the drama) then it reach it's climax and then the ending. (I think Lee Joon Gi will be the King but will not be with Haesoo. Ko Ha Jin will return to the modern world.) 

Despite the low ratings in Lee Joon Gi's recent dramas, I always think that he pick fresh and good storyline. Like from sword fighting to gun fighting in Joseon, vampire in SWWTN and Chinese remake in Scarlet Heart. Noticed however, his low ratings dramas are SWWTN and Scarlet Heart and they both have idols or less popular actors/actresses. A good drama also needs a good and known casts especially if the drama has the current trend actor/actress, they probably will have high ratings. 

Overall, like you I am happy that Lee Joon Gi took this drama. Lee Joon Gi is Wang So and I can't imagine any other actor play that character as well as Lee Joon Gi. And I remember a few years back that he really wants to play the role of the King and he got it. It is a smart way to end the years of playing Saeguk dramas with he being the King. People will remember him as truly the king of Saeguk (Haha!). Such a terrible waste and pity that Korean audience don't watch the drama. However, I believe Lee Joon Gi gain so much more fans worldwide. He will reach 1million followers in Instagram soon. With that, he maintain his popularity (both domestic an international) even with the increasing young and very popular actors. 

Edited by buryly
  • Like 12

I don`t care about ratings when I watch a show or not. I want good ratings for the actors and people who work hard for us to have a good product but I will not concentrate on that at all. But I am glad that at least Joon Gi`s drama is doing well with International audience.

I start watching Scarlet Heart: Ryeo when it has reached episode 6. I wanted to wait a little until I start to watch but all the discussions about the female protagonists and other production flaws made me start earlier to form an opinion myself. I am not a fan of any idols (au contraire, I avoid dramas with them as leads) but IU is OK. I felt sorry that there were such negative comments about the show and about her and other young actors that even the PD wanted to jump on her aid. She is doing fine with the role they gave her. Saying that... I really enjoy the show. Since Two Weeks, this drama is the first that grabbed my interest. I think Joon Gi made a good role with Joseon Gunman and Scholar Who Walks at Night but I lost interest in both shows in the end. I think his selection of dramas is good (I see why he chose the roles) but he can`t know how is going to be the final product or if it is going to be a success. I am waiting for his future dramas and maybe he will expend his horizon as an actor a little bit. Good luck.

I read that Joon Gi will shoot for an advertisement on October 10. Or maybe it is a new pictorial.

• Like 10

It's a 900K followers... Yahoo....

C: IG

Even though the ML ratings is low and on 3rd spot, it's climbing slowly and the views are growing. At least with a little changes we can see that ML have spot in Knet's heart, maybe ML is not their first preference, they still watch it online. There is no particular answer for low ratings, the best thing to have is we enjoy the drama and let's spread the positive things about it. 

48 minutes ago, Putri Dewi said:

anyone knows lee joon gi next drama / upcoming project ?

this year c-drama never said goodbye & scarlet heart was released

and february 2017 next year he participated in resident evil

so, what's next ?

No words about it yet. LJK is very certainly looking for a modern drama or movie but we don't know much yet.

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, minmar said:

@Diana Blanche Yep, I watched Hero in my "OMG who is this guy" marathon and really liked it.  I wondered why the ratings for it were low as well. Why did Korean fans walk away from Joon after he had been so popular? Why is this being ignored?  I hate mysteries.

I don't know which drama were competitors against it, but although it's entertaining it's rather lacking - or maybe not to my taste. A little bit too much old school and I had a hard time with the senior actor :P But it was a choice made to diverse LJK's dramas genre I think and it was nice to see him in something more "normal". But since it got bad ratings that's maybe why he hasn't taken up roles like that again. Also there has been a mess with the leading lady - several changes, including one who started filming but has to step down due to an injury if I remember. So bad publicity before even starting. Gosh, the guy doesn't have it easy ^^ 

Remind me of what he said during his guerilla date in 2014, something along the line as "my fans describe me as an actor who suffers a lot and is hardworking". Yup, totally. Sharing it again for new fans or rewatching pleasure :) LJK's part starts at 35:50. 

And yes, people do get paid to post good/bad comments, like for products on the internet for example. In the case of MLSHR, top comments on naver now are mainly positive though, so I don't think it goes that far. Or at least it's not noticeable on a major plateform like naver.

• Like 9

Here is an interesting article about the difference in ratings for inside and outside Kdrama world.

Ultimately, the fact there are K-dramas that cater specifically to Korean K-drama fans while others do the same to internationally K-drama fans shows that South Korean television is taking into account not all of their viewers are domestic. Their willingness to incorporate international fans’ preferences shows their willing to expand. To be frank, such a move is smart because the last thing Korean television, or Hallyu in general, wants to do is implode on itself, similar to what happened to Japan with J-pop and anime.

http://www.inquisitr.com/3536974/scarlet-heart-ryeo-and-moonlight-drawn-by-clouds-viewerships-contrasts-k-drama-preferences-of-koreans-to-international-fans/

• Like 5

On 26.09.2016 at 4:25 AM, cesar33 said:

hahaha thank youuuu and sorry for being too excited :D

Don't be sorry - you can't be too excited over our man! :)

On 26.09.2016 at 5:01 PM, sukbin said:

He looks like the perfect guy who stepped straight out of a Japanese manga. The sharp jaw line, rosebud lips, killer cheekbones and appropriately slant monolid eyes and his face is like a perfectly cut porcelain. Ok, enough gushing. 

No no no don't stop! You started it so well... :wub:

On 27.09.2016 at 0:21 PM, buryly said:

I am new to this forum and I have been lurking and liking peoples' for a while. It's time to delurk because Lee Joon Gis current drama is so interesting and it's more fun to interact with all of you.

Hello @buryly! Welcome to the thread. Join us in constant appreciation of Joon Gi's talent. :)

(And hotness. :D)

11 hours ago, proudme said:

This scene was beautifully shot and meaningful. 

I prefer k-drama version of this scene than c-drama. In c-drama the prince came, hide Ruoxi from the rain for a while... then he leaves. In k-drama 4th prince stay there untill the end as if he was showing to the king that he doesn't care what the king will do (we remember that he said he'll punish anyone who stands behind Hae Soo). And the moment is so touching, so beautiful... :wub:

11 hours ago, minmar said:

Why do Korean audiences (at least on the basis of TV ratings) favor a coming of age or teenage story while an international audience favors a more mature subject? 

I've noticed that in Korea youth (like teen or 20-something) ppl are more favourite than those more mature. I think they just love being young, too young for serious problems but so the audience won't feel bad - those ppl have serious problems anyway.

As I noticed in Korea ppl fight with time so they keep beauty as long as possible. No wrinkles, nothing like that. Being young = being pretty. To us it's strange 'cause if we like someone we like him / her no matter the aging. Not only actors but also our partners in real life.

Maybe that's the answer?

3 hours ago, minmar said:

I wondered why the ratings for it were low as well. Why did Korean fans walk away from Joon after he had been so popular? Why is this being ignored?  I hate mysteries.

I might be wrong but I believe Joon Gi himself said once that he dislike the drama. I heart it was the only time he chose drama that had unfinished script before the filming and that he regreted taking part in it. But I can't show you the source so it may be only a gossip.

• Like 6