[Drama 2024] The Atypical Family/Although I Am Not a Hero, 히어로는 아닙니다만-Chun Woo Hee & Jang Ki Yong

larus

The Atypical Family: Episodes 9-10

by Unit

TAF10-00009.jpg

Our penultimate week explores all the parent-child and familial relationships that exist in the show. Our lead couple’s romance also progresses, but it’s really the younger ones who catch our eyes with their limited screen time. And just when we think everything is settled, we’re hit with a plot twist. Oops! Then again, how else will Show reel us in for the finale?

EPISODES 9-10

TAF9-00011.jpg

Our lottery ticket continues its journey from Soon-goo to the blackmailer, and it eventually ends up with Sauna Mom — who orchestrated the whole thing! You’d think she’d be satisfied with the money, but no. Sauna Mom still sends pictures of Soon-goo and his lady friend to Man-heum — who feels betrayed that her husband started clubbing after she stopped dreaming. I understand Soon-goo’s relief at finally being able to have hobbies without walking on eggshells around his all-seeing wife; unfortunately, this hobby gets him kicked out of the house.

Da-hae informs Gwi-ju that Man-heum has played in Sauna Mom’s hands by getting rid of the family’s supportive pillar (Soon-goo), and that everything falls back on Gwi-ju because he put his family in danger by trying to save her. They get into their usual “I’m going to save you,” and “You’re not the one who saved me” back and forth, but at least this time, we learn that the person who saved Da-hae had a red spot at the back of his neck — which Gwi-ju doesn’t have. Yet.

In other news, we also learn that Dong-hee’s marriage plans have little to do with love and inheriting the gym building, and plenty to do with Man-heum drumming it into her head that she has to get married to have a grandchild to pass down their legacy. This is probably why Dong-hee had to leave a successful modelling career — and end up stress eating. Smh. Not Man-heum being the real villain to her family.

TAF10-00007.jpg

Speaking of grandchildren, Yi-na goes missing after being bullied at school, and the resulting search for her highlights how little Gwi-ju knows about his daughter. (PS: I was going to praise how natural the Kopiko PPL was integrated into the convenience store scene with Sauna Uncle, but he had to ruin it with the “I need a pick-me-up” line. *Rolls eyes*)

Da-hae heads to the sauna to see if Yi-na dropped by, but Sauna Mom insinuates that she betrayed her by giving the lottery ticket to the Boks. Da-hae replies that she could have easily cashed the ticket and paid off her debt, but she didn’t because she wanted to remain in the sauna family. Over time, Da-hae felt that Sauna Mom cared about her like a real daughter, but now she sees that it was just her assumption. As a result, she disowns Sauna Mom and warns her to stay away from the Boks, or else. (PS: Sauna Mom’s real daughter is late.)

Thanks to his future self, Gwi-ju and Da-hae finally locate Yi-na — who was locked up in the school gym’s storage room — but Gwi-ju’s dad manual is outdated and he doesn’t know how to properly react to the situation. Da-hae steps in using her own experience with bullies, and she helps Yi-na make sense of her mind-reading power by pointing out that people’s thoughts are fleeting, and what Yi-na sees is just a tiny piece of their minds.

TAF9-00003.jpg

Taking Da-hae’s advice, Gwi-ju stops bombarding Yi-na with questions and he looks into her eyes instead. It’s an emotional moment for father and daughter, and her replies to his “I’m sorry for leaving you on your own” thoughts make him realize that she can read minds. Yi-na tells Gwi-ju that she kept it a secret because she wished the power would go away, and a flashback to the car accident reveals her mom’s last thoughts: Mom blamed Yi-na’s birth for kickstarting Gwi-ju’s obsession with the fire incident.

Yi-na’s innocent “Should I never have been born?” reply shocked — and distracted — Mom, and that’s how they got into the accident. OMG! When I said I was curious about what Yi-na read in her mom’s mind, this is NOT what I was picturing. It’s bad enough that Yi-na blames herself for being born, but she also blames herself for the accident? This is too much guilt for a child to be carrying around, and I want to reach into the screen to hug her.

In the present, Yi-na calls herself a monster, but Gwi-ju comforts her and assures her that she’s not at fault. Father and daughter cry it out and reconcile, but I refuse to cry. *Sniffs into tissues* Now that this reconciliation and offloading of guilt is out of the way, Yi-na’s confidence level spikes. She confesses to Joon-woo that she likes him too, and they become an official couple. Awwww. Yi-na also refuses to fall for Ms. Popular’s emotional blackmail when the latter is exposed at school for locking her in the storage, and I like how she pointed out that Ms. Popular’s fall from grace is solely a consequence of her actions. Yi-na is no longer blaming her mind-reading abilities anymore, and I love it for her!

more

https://www.dramabeans.com/2024/06/the-atypical-family-episodes-9-10/

• Like 1

Spoiler

20240606061423_The-Atypical-Family-1.jpg

"The Atypical Family" Stars Tease What To Look Forward To In Final 2 Episodes

The stars of “The Atypical Family” have shared their thoughts ahead of the show’s final week!

With just two episodes left to go, the drama’s leads took a fond look back at the series—and also hinted at what viewers should keep an eye out for in the remaining episodes.

Jang Ki Yong started out by humbly remarking, “Thank you to everyone who loved ‘The Atypical Family’ and Bok Gwi Joo. I worried a lot over how to portray the charming character that is Bok Gwi Joo. Thanks to the great director, writer, production team, and cast, I was able to make it to the end and successfully wrap up the drama.”

As for what to pay attention to in the drama’s final week, Jang Ki Yong said, “If you follow each character’s emotions, you’ll be able to immerse yourself more deeply in the story and enjoy watching the drama more.” He added, “I hope you’ll stay with us through the final episode.”

Jang-Ki-Yong.jpg

Chun Woo Hee teased, “I think you’ll be able to enjoy what’s left of our journey if you focus on whether all of the characters will be able to make their respective wishes come true. Will Do Da Hae be able to create a true family? Will Bok Gwi Joo go back to the past and rescue Do Da Hae? Will the Bok family and the sauna fraud ring be able to achieve their individual goals and find happiness? What kind of changes will all of these characters undergo as they face reality? Please tune in to find out.”

The actress also expressed her gratitude to the show’s viewers, saying, “Thank you for joining us and loving ‘The Atypical Family.’ I hope that it resonates with you and that you’ll remember it for a long time.”

Chun Woo Hee continued, “We’re always regretting the past and getting anxious over the future, so we wind up missing the moment that is ‘right now.’ I hope you’ll always be happy and healthy while enjoying the present moment.”

Chun-Woo-Hee.jpg

Meanwhile, Claudia Kim confessed, “I was curious and also a bit worried about how viewers would react to the character of Bok Dong Hee, so I’m grateful that you saw her as lovable and enjoyed watching her.”

She went on to add, “On the previous episode, Bok Dong Hee returned to her past appearance. I think it’d be good to keep an eye on whether Bok Dong Hee will be able to recover both her lost ability to fly and her self-esteem. I hope you’ll focus on Bok Dong Hee’s emotions while watching.”

Claudia-Kim.jpg

The final two episodes of “The Atypical Family” will air on June 8 and 9 at 10:30 p.m. KST.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1666423wpp/the-atypical-family-stars-tease-what-to-look-forward-to-in-final-2-episodes

• Like 1

Spoiler

Jang Ki Yong Reunites With Chun Woo Hee In

Jang Ki Yong Reunites With Chun Woo Hee In "The Atypical Family"

Will Jang Ki Yong and Chun Woo Hee get their happy ending on JTBC’s “The Atypical Family”?

“The Atypical Family” is a fantasy romance drama about a family that once had supernatural powers, but lost them after suffering from realistic modern-day problems.

Spoilers

On the previous episode of “The Atypical Family,” Bok Gwi Joo (Jang Ki Yong) learned that Do Da Hae (Chun Woo Hee) had faked her death in a desperate attempt to save him. After finding out the truth, Bok Gwi Joo tracked her down, and they shared a tearful kiss at the beach town where she was hiding.

Newly released stills from the drama’s next episode offer a glimpse of the happy moments Do Da Hae and Bok Gwi Joo spend together after their reunion. Whether cuddling under a blanket or happily cheering on Bok Yi Na (Park So Yi) during her dance club’s performance, the two make a picture-perfect couple. As Do Da Hae films Yi Na dancing, proud dad Bok Gwi Joo seems visibly moved while sporting a headband that reads “My daughter is the best.”

Park-So-Yi.jpgChun-Woo-Hee-Jang-Ki-Yong-1.jpgJang-Ki-Yong-Chun-Woo-Hee-2.jpg

In another set of photos, the Bok family sits down for a heartwarming meal together. Bok Gwi Joo is wearing an apron and a cheerful smile after cooking for his family, while Bok Dong Hee (Claudia Kim) reacts to the meal with adorable glee.

Thanks to Do Da Hae, the Bok family has clearly regained more than just their superpowers—but it remains to be seen whether they will be able to hold on to this joy.

Spoiler

The-Atypical-Family-2.jpgClaudia-Kim-1.jpgChun-Woo-Hee-Jang-Ki-Yong-2-1.jpg

The drama’s production team commented, “Bok Gwi Joo will finally return to that day from 13 years ago, and both Bok Gwi Joo and Do Da Hae will make their final choices.”

“To find out whether Bok Gwi Joo will be able to save Do Da Hae and also change his own destiny, please stay tuned up until the very end,” they continued.

The next episode of “The Atypical Family” will air on June 8 at 10:30 p.m. KST.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1666591wpp/jang-ki-yong-reunites-with-chun-woo-hee-in-the-atypical-family

• Like 1

20240608041832_Jang-KI-Yong-Park-So-Yi-1Jang Ki Yong And His Daughter Go On A Heartbreaking Date In "The Atypical Family"

Jun 08, 2024
by E Cha

Will Jang Ki Yong succeed in changing his destiny on JTBC’s “The Atypical Family”?

“The Atypical Family” is a fantasy romance drama about a family that once had supernatural powers, but lost them after suffering from realistic modern-day problems.

Spoilers

Previously on “The Atypical Family,” Bok Man Heum (Go Doo Shim) had a dream foretelling her son Bok Gwi Joo (Jang Ki Yong)’s death, revealing that Bok Gwi Joo would not be able to return after saving Do Da Hae (Chun Woo Hee)’s life in the past of 13 years ago. Hoping to save him from this fate, Do Da Hae faked her own death and went into hiding—but Bok Gwi Joo learned the truth and tracked her down, leading to a tearful reunion with an emotional kiss.

In newly released stills from the drama’s upcoming episode, Do Da Hae and the Bok family hold an emergency meeting to discuss Bok Gwi Joo’s fate. Bok Man Heum looks half-worried and half-hopeful as she listens to what Do Da Hae has to say, while Bok Dong Hee (Claudia Kim) and Eom Soon Gu (Oh Man Seok) react with determined expressions.

The-Atypical-Family-3.jpg

Meanwhile, Bok Gwi Joo and Bok Yi Na (Park So Yi) go on a heartbreaking father-daughter date.

Fulfilling the promise that he wasn’t able to keep on her birthday seven years ago, Bok Gwi Joo takes Bok Yi Na to the zoo—but because Bok Yi Na knows about her father’s impending death, she is unable to enjoy the outing. When she eventually bursts into tears, Bok Gwi Joo holds her tight in a comforting hug, but his face is also etched with sorrow.

more

• Like 2

Here are the ratings for Episode 11! :).

20240609011413_Connection-Missing-Crown-

"Connection" And "Missing Crown Prince" Ratings Rise To New All-Time Highs

JTBC’s “The Atypical Family,” which has just one episode left in its run, earned an average nationwide rating of 3.8 percent ahead of its series finale.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1666751wpp/connection-and-missing-crown-prince-ratings-rise-to-new-all-time-highs

• Like 1

Team Dramabeans: What we’re watching (June 8, 2024)

by DB Staff

So, what are we all watching this week?

What kept you reaching for more (or agonizing when there was no more), and what made you want to throw your remote through the screen? Time to weigh in…

DaebakGrits

The Atypical Family: I started watching The Atypical Family because I love stories about people with superpowers. It had a slow beginning, but it became a drama I looked forward to each week. Maybe not with the same intensity as Lovely Runner (that’s a high bar to surpass), but the time travel element really piqued my curiosity. I’m eager to see how it plays out this weekend even if I think it’s fairly obvious that Gwi-ju won’t die in the past. Is it too much to hope something bad happens to Sauna Mom, though?

https://www.dramabeans.com/2024/06/team-dramabeans-what-were-watching-june-8-2024/

• Like 2

Here are the ratings for Episode 12 *Last Episode*! :).

20240610002221_Chun-Woo-Hee-Jang-Ki-Yong

"The Atypical Family" Ends On Highest Ratings Of Its Entire Run

JTBC’s “The Atypical Family” went out on a high note!

On June 9, the fantasy romance drama achieved the highest viewership ratings of its entire run with its series finale. According to Nielsen Korea, the final episode of “The Atypical Family” scored an average nationwide rating of 4.9 percent, marking a new personal record for the show.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1666865wpp/the-atypical-family-ends-on-highest-ratings-of-its-entire-run

• Like 1

by Lily Alice, June 9, 2024

JTBC's fantasy drama The Atypical Family scored a nationwide rating of 3.83% for episode 11, a slight improvement from 3.61% (episode 9) and 3.73% (episode 10). Despite the so-so ratings back home, the K-drama continues to rise on Netflix rankings chart. 

The K-drama went from ranking sixth (May 20 - May 26) to ranking fourth (May 27 - June 2) on Netflix's Top 10 list (non-English). The Atypical Family will now air its finale.

rN5PBg_2f.png

When and where to watch the K-drama The Atypical Family?

Episode 12 of The Atypical Family will air on June 9 (Sunday). The K-drama is available to stream on Netflix.

https://mydramalist.com/article/the-atypical-family-rises-in-netflix-rankings-connection-scores-its-first-double-digit-rating

• Like 2

The Atypical Family: Episodes 11-12 (Final)

by Unit

TAF11-00003.jpg

Our atypical show wraps up its 13-year-old arc on a happy — or on a less than satisfying — note, depending on which side you stand on the divided opinion about the drama’s conclusion. But the show had a good run, albeit confusing at times, and we watched our characters grow and become better versions of themselves. Most importantly, they seemed satisfied with the ending they got, and maybe that’s all that matters.

EPISODES 11-12

Gwi-ju and Da-hae make up after last week’s noble idiocy, and he promises that he’ll spend a long, long time with her in the present before returning to the past to save her. But when they return home, Yi-na can barely face her dad because the news about his impending death rocks her to the core. And though Da-hae promises that she will save Gwi-ju, Yi-na remains scared and unconvinced.

In a rare moment of sibling bonding, Dong-hee recalls her modelling days and how Man-heum’s “I had a dream the lead model got hurt” made her bail out on an opportunity of a lifetime. Unfortunately, the heels for the show were custom-made for Dong-hee, so the replacement model got hurt on the ramp. Dong-hee tells Gwi-ju that the accident wouldn’t have happened if she had ignored the dream and attended the show, and long story short: “Don’t let mom’s dreams stop you [from saving Da-hae].”

Dong-hee began to stress eat soon after the accident, but even now that she has lost all that weight, she still can’t fly. Gwi-ju reminds her that she used to be chubby back in elementary school, and she flew much better then. Long story short: Dong-hee’s weight is not the problem. The missing ingredient is her happiness.

Man-heum dreams about Dong-hee and another woman crying with their hair all messed up, and she assumes that they fought over Dong-hee’s fiancé. But since she has realized — and now regrets — that her dreams end up cursing her children, Man-heum refuses to tell Dong-hee so as not to ruin her wedding plans. Da-hae, on the other hand, is not about to allow her sister-in-law-to-be marry a cheat, so she blackmails Fiancé to cough up 200 million won or else. Da-hae expects him to call off the wedding, but when he surprises her with the money, it’s time for plan B: she and Grace arrange for Dong-hee to catch him and his girlfriend red-handed. Oops!

The wedding is off and Dong-hee gets to keep the 200 million won as payback for the money she lent him to open his clinic. But in an attempt to retrieve the bag of cash, Fiancé accidentally pushes Grace out of the window. Again, oops! Left with no other choice, Dong-hee steels herself — banishing self doubts and Man-heum’s voice in her head that she can’t fly — and takes off. Yaay! She catches Grace and the two ladies go for a ride in the air. All it took was a near-death experience for Grace to experience flying with Dong-hee as she always wanted. The universe really works in mysterious ways. Lol.

When Dong-hee and Grace eventually land, their hair has been tousled in the wind, and they’re crying in joy — like Man-heum dreamed. It dawns on Da-hae that there’s always more to Man-heum’s dreams, and she informs the family that Gwi-ju can still be saved. Phew! Yi-na overhears the conversation, and a subsequent heart to heart conversation with her dad finally puts her mind at rest.

more https://www.dramabeans.com/2024/06/the-atypical-family-episodes-11-12-final/

• Like 2

20240610164542_the-atypical-family1.png?Watch: Jang Ki Yong, Chun Woo Hee, And More Share Thoughts As They Wrap Up Filming For "The Atypical Family"

Jun 11, 2024
by J Lee

JTBC’s “The Atypical Family” has released a new making-of video that offers a glimpse into their final day of filming!

In the latest making-of video, the cast members share their thoughts on the drama as they bid farewell to months of filming.

Jang Ki Yong, who played the role of Bok Gwi Joo, says, “[At first,] I felt nervous because this was my first project in a long time, and it feels different and sentimental knowing that today marks the end of filming. Although I came to the set with nervousness, self-doubts, and a lot of worries, the filming was always filled with laughter, and I did my best for every scene.”

When asked to choose the most memorable moment from filming, he answers, “There was a scene where Gwi Joo raced fervently to Sunjae Girls’ High School to revert everything. I spent the entire day running for that scene, and when I saw it air, I thought it encapsulated all of Gwi Joo’s emotions throughout the drama.”

Meanwhile, Chun Woo Hee says in a separate interview, “Time especially flew by during this project. Every day was a joy thanks to the staff, directors, and fellow actors.” She adds, “This was the most comfortable I’ve ever felt on set.”

She also talks about a funny anecdote, recalling, “There was a scene where Gwi Joo had to carry the unconscious Da Hae to bed. To enhance the realism of my acting, I completely relaxed in his arms. However, when Gwi Joo placed me on the bed, my neck ended up bending backward. Gwi Joo tried hard to hide his laughter, but it was evident on screen. It became a fun story for us, and I teased him about it afterward.”

https://www.soompi.com/article/1667172wpp/watch-jang-ki-yong-chun-woo-hee-and-more-share-thoughts-as-they-wrap-up-filming-for-the-atypical-family

• Like 2

A very nice ending for the drama and a nice twist to the superpower of the newest member of the family. I would have wanted Gwi Ju and Da Hae to hug then hug their son together. But Da Hae's tears of joy are enough.

Still can't believe Chun Woo Hee is the same actress as the one in The 8 Show.

• partyon changed the title to [Drama 2024] The Atypical Family/Although I Am Not a Hero, 히어로는 아닙니다만-Chun Woo Hee & Jang Ki Yong
by Lily Alice, June 14, 2024
13 6

After being three years away from the spotlight, Jang Ki Yong returned to the screen with The Atypical Family, playing the role of a depressed single father Bok Gwi Ju.

On June 13, the actor held an interview at a cafe in Mapo, Seoul, during which he shared his thoughts about the drama and his character.

The Atypical Family tells the story of a family of superpowered individuals who have lost their abilities due to chronic diseases common to modern-day people and a woman who becomes involved with them.   

Jang Ki Yong played the male lead, Bok Gwi Ju. Bok Gwi Ju is a character who can travel back to a happy moment in the past. However, after losing his wife in an accident, he suffers from severe depression and loses his ability. He meets Do Da Hae (Chun Woo Hee) and regains his happiness and superpowers.

Sharing his thoughts on The Atypical Family, Jang Ki Yong said, "It was my first project in three years. I felt awkward seeing my face on TV, but I think I did well and the drama was wrapped up nicely." 

RBXj4r_2f.png

When asked if he felt pressure for his comeback, he responded, "There was a lot of pressure since it had been a while, but I focused on the project and the character in front of me. I concentrated on how to better portray Bok Gwi Ju and express his emotions."

On playing a father for the first time, he said with a laugh, "I ended up playing a father sooner than I expected," adding, "But I liked it. I think demonstrating the potential to play such a character is important for showing the possibilities of what I can do as an actor and a person." He added, "Fatherhood [on screen] was really awkward for me. I acted with Park So Yi for quite a while, and the last scene of the last shoot was with her. I don't know if it was because it was the last scene, but when I looked into her eyes, I truly felt like a father. So Yi really felt like my daughter. I felt like I had gotten a preview of being a father." 

jQxqJr_2f.png

Jang Ki Yong appeared quite frail and sickly in the drama. Talking about his physical transformation, he said, "I lost about 12kg after being discharged from the military. ... I also grew my hair, which made me feel like I was getting into the role of Bok Gwi Ju."

Talking about playing a depressed character, he said, "At first, my mother was worried, because of the term 'depression' itself. But when I approached the character of Bok Gwi Ju, I saw so many possibilities on how to express it [depression]. Whether it was through hairstyle or weight loss or a style of acting that I hadn't tried before, I focused on how to bring out the aspects from within myself and express them." Regarding the long hair of his character, he said, "Initially, I didn't plan to grow it that long. But as I grew it, I thought it suited me more than I expected."

Z8dR2O_2f.png

Jang Ki Yong returned to the small screen after a three-year hiatus. When asked about what has changed, the actor said, "I thought a lot about trying to take it easy." He continued, "Looking back on my 20s, I think I lived a very intense life. For the first time, I had 1 year and 6 months of rest through military service, and over the next 6 months I prepared for The Atypical Family." "After returning from the military, I felt like I had some peace of mind. I thought a lot about doing my best no matter what, but [at the same time] also try to be comfortable and relaxed." 

He added, "There's a kind of ambiance on set, right? I tried to get into it slowly and not rush. Even if things around me were hectic, I made a conscious effort to immerse myself slowly."

The biggest change the actor experienced after his military service, he said, is "peace of mind." "Before that, I worked so intensely that I couldn't even catch a break between projects. I think I will live fiercely in my 30s too, but despite that, I want to relax a little." He added, "Through the [time in the] military, I realized that my mind needs to be healthy so that I can work well."

On working with actress Chun Woo Hee, he said, "It was an honor to work with her. She is a senior actress whom I really wanted to work with, at least once. I was curious how it would feel to stand together, even just when our names 'Chun Woo Hee, Jang Ki Yong' were called. There was a lot of excitement. Since it was after a long time I got to work on set, I really wanted to do well. I sincerely appreciate noona (referring to Chun Woo Hee) for giving her best efforts just as much as I did on set." 

more https://mydramalist.com/article/the-atypical-family-jang-ki-yong-says-he-felt-awkward-playing-a-father

by Lily Alice, June 14, 2024
39 28

Recently, child actress Park So Yi had an interview, during which she shared her experience acting alongside Jang Ki Yong and Chun Woo Hee in The Atypical Family.

It is reported that in her first-ever interview, Park So Yi, despite being quite nervous, smartly expressed her thoughts.

Park So Yi, who played Bok I Na, the youngest member of the Bok family, was also the youngest person on set. She said, "In the drama, my character is distant from her family, but during breaks, the senior actors were very considerate. They even used to ask about little things like what kind of bread I liked."

AD_4nXcCWTzqrNL85Ikos3Fdy35mHU36HWfCATNz

Speaking about her on-screen father, Jang Ki Yong, she said, "Dad Ki Yong was very considerate from the first to the last shoot. He gave me a letter and a gift on the last day. It was a pair of shoes, and I still wear them," she said with a smile. Recalling a photo shoot with him, she added, "He felt very different from dad Gwi Ju (laughs). When he cut his hair, he felt unfamiliar at first, but he always treated me like his real daughter and took good care of me."

Regarding Chun Woo Hee, she said, "I had many scenes with aunt Woo Hee, so we talked a lot and became close." 

Among her most memorable scenes, she mentioned the one in which she acted with Jang Ki Yong and Chun Woo Hee. Park So Yi said, "The scene was in episode 9, where I spent time with aunt and dad. Aunt comforted I Na by saying she had gone through the same, helping I Na find her emotional footing. Also, I liked the scene where misunderstandings with her dad were resolved, and they got to know each other better."

She continued, "I also find the scene where she delivered a message to her dad on stage quite memorable. In the past, I Na couldn't even talk to her dad and she used to maintain a distance, but now she can understand him just by looking at his eyes. I think it showed I Na's wanting to relieve her dad of his worries."

When asked about her satisfaction with the ending, she said, "I'm 100% satisfied. It was more new, amazing, and fun than I imagined. When I first read the ending, I wondered how such a story could come about," she said with a smile.

When asked who is her role model, she named Chun Woo Hee, Kim Su Hyun, Choi Hee Seo, Shim Dal Gi, and Kim Tae Ri

Talking about her future dreams, Park So Yi said, "I used to have so many dreams, but now I've narrowed them down a lot." She added, "I want to become a doctor. It seems like a challenging job that requires a lot of handwork and brains, but I still want to try." "I've been watching a lot of medical dramas and reading books about it since last year." 

The young actress is currently in elementary school. When asked if she would like to attend an art school for her middle school education, she said, "I want to go to a regular middle school and study a little more." About her plans for this year, she said, "First of all, I want to study a lot. Also, I want to achieve master's level in swimming, and properly memorize one piano piece."

AD_4nXeg7wSQKWC2ZgvrvsHapF45Xd0EhxDewuEL

https://mydramalist.com/article/i-want-to-study-a-little-more-the-atypical-family-park-so-yi

by Lily Alice, June 13, 2024
3 0

Actress Kim Su Hyun, aka Claudia Kim, had an interview at a café in Mapo, Seoul, during which she talked about the challenges she faced playing Bok Dong Hee in The Atypical Family, the kind of projects she wants to do next, and more.  

Last year, Kim played Maeda Yukiko in the Netflix series Gyeongseong Creature, a role for which the actress learned Japanese. Now, for the JTBC drama The Atypical Family, she wore special makeup and put on a suit to transform into an overweight character. 

Talking about trying new things with each project, the actress said, "I enjoy the thrill of doing things that people around me think I can't do," adding, "I guess I'm a bit rebellious to begin with."

She also said, "Going through casting interviews abroad has broken many of my preconceived notions. Confronting things head-on has helped me a lot in both my acting and mindset."

"I was always offered roles of characters that were intellectual and wealthy, and I hated it. I was wondering, 'Why can't I get a role that breaks away from this image?' when a director told me, 'You don't look like someone who'd be working a part-time job.' It didn't make me feel good. I was born with height and looks, but I didn't want to be limited by these factors."

pdz2en_2f.png

Claudia Kim had a physically demanding role in The Atypical Family, for which she had to sit for 5-8 hours for special makeup before each shoot.  

Despite the challenges, the actress decided to turn down a leading role in a Hollywood film to play Dong Hee. She said, "Dong Hee was such a charming character. It was so enjoyable to perform an unexpected role. Despite the hardships, I always went to the set with a light and happy heart."

Kim also talked about the project she had to let go of, stating, "It was difficult, timewise. The Atypical Family was a project I chose to do first, and because it's important to do well and with perfection (I gave up on a Hollywood film)." She revealed, "It was a project featuring a famous actor, and [I was offered] to play the female lead." "I don't regret (rejecting the film)," and, "I think this was meant to be." 

The actress also talked extensively about the hardships she faced with the special makeup. Kim expressed, "It was really tough. If I had known, I wouldn’t have been able to do it." She revealed, "There were many people, including the makeup team and my managers, who suffered alongside me."

"If I had a shoot in the morning, I would come during the night and stay up all night getting makeup done. I wore a suit inside, then a cotton suit made to look like muscles on top, another suit on the outside, and then silicone, followed by clothes. There were no vents, so I would be drenched in sweat all day because I couldn't take the makeup off once we started shooting. It felt like hell sometimes because it was so hot."

She further elaborated, "The character was set to weigh plus or minus 30kg, so I anticipated special makeup. But for actors, nothing is really known until you see the setup. I focused on showing the character's emotional changes and her growth as a woman. This part really appealed to me, so I took on the challenge. ... Everyone gave their all, and I felt a sense of duty to do well for them."

She continued, "It took a maximum of 8 hours. 4 and a half hours was when the character's weight was at its lightest. I had to sit still for at least 4 and a half to 8 hours." "Four people would work on me at once. I didn't move or make any facial expressions. After sitting still for 8 hours, there were continuous touch-ups. Even talking slightly would cause the makeup around my mouth to lift. During cuts, the team would rush in for fixes. I did my makeup myself because If I got my makeup done at a studio I would have to put in extra 2 hours, so I just did it at home and started with special makeup."

She added, "They dissolved silicone in acetone and applied it to my face. I ingested a lot of acetone. Unfortunately, I got a little allergy on my skin once, but faced no major issues, thanks to the special makeup team. The makeup was heavy [2kg], and my face would sag after it was removed."

She continued, "Yawning was prohibited. I couldn't eat much. I didn't drink much water also. But despite eating and drinking little, my weight didn't drop."

kAxygO_2f.png

During the interview, the actress also revealed that she is a pescatarian. Pescatarians don't eat meat but do eat seafood and can eat eggs and dairy products.

Kim said, "During filming, I couldn't go to the bathroom or eat because silicone was attached to my body. However, since I had many eating scenes, I thought about how to eat deliciously. What was amazing during acting was that when I ate meat while playing Dong Hee, it made me dance. When I ate something, I just naturally started dancing."

She continued, "Actually, I've been a pescatarian since I was very young, so I couldn't eat meat in real life and acted it out with my imagination. I can eat seafood though," she said. When all the reporters at the interview were surprised, she confessed, "I've never eaten meat at all, so I don't have the desire to eat it." "My mother is also a vegetarian. I think it's genetic."

Z8d5Eq_2f.png

Talking about her character Dong Hee, the actress said, "She binge eats as if she is punishing herself and exercises excessively as if she's punishing herself also. She's a character with low self-esteem but a strong desire to return to a healthy state both physically and mentally."

Kim also related to Dong Hee's low self-esteem and inability to be kind to herself. "I also had low self-esteem at many points [in my life]. When I was young, I was not good at English or Korean and felt like I didn't belong anywhere, so I was very timid. Even after becoming an actor, I struggled with confidence for a long time."

Claudia Kim debuted as a model and gradually built her filmography with minor and supporting roles in K-dramas. She made headlines in South Korea for getting cast in Avengers: Age of Ultron and becoming the first Korean actor to land a role in the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU). 

Through The Atypical Family, Kim wanted to be recognized for her acting skills in her home country. She said, "I plan to continue to look for challenging roles in the future," and smiled, adding, "I think I will gladly do special effects makeup again if I have to."

"Recently, I received a call from India asking if I would consider working in Bollywood. I don't think there's anything I can't do. I can learn Hindi and dance (laughs)."

https://mydramalist.com/article/claudia-kim-talks-about-her-struggles-playing-bok-dong-hee-in-the-atypical-family