[Drama 2024] The Atypical Family/Although I Am Not a Hero, 히어로는 아닙니다만-Chun Woo Hee & Jang Ki Yong

larus

Meet the superpowered Atypical Family in new teaser

by Jenzy

AF-3.jpg

In the latest teaser for JTBC’s upcoming rom-com The Atypical Family, we’re introduced to Jang Ki-yong (Now, We Are Breaking Up) and the rest of his not-so-heroic family.

We open the teaser on our heroine Do Da-hae, played by Chun Woo-hee (Delightfully Deceitful), as she moves into the eccentric Bok house. While she gets a warm greeting from the matriarch Go Du-shim (Twinkling Watermelon), the rest of the family give her an icy staredown at the family lunch.

So why is this complete stranger moving in? It all goes back to the Bok clan’s big secret: everyone in their family was born with superpowers. However, modern life with its smartphones and first-world woes has caused them to lose their abilities. And Mom has a feeling that somehow Da-hae moving in will fix their problem.

We see Da-hae taking inventory of the family’s powers vs. their current state. We start with Mom, a future-seer who can’t get a read on the stock market. We then move on to eldest daughter Dong Hee, played by Kim Su-hyun (Gyeongseong Creature), a flyer who can’t catch herself falling off the second floor. Then there’s Bok Gwi-joo (Jang Ki-yong), a time-traveler to happier moments who is currently deeply depressed. Finally we have the teenage Yi-na, played by Park So-yi (See You in My 19th Life), who Da-hae writes off as without powers, but we’re left to wonder if that assumption is correct. And while he’s not in the teaser, we also have Dad Oh Man-seok (Wonderful World), who actually has no powers, but is pretty supernatural in the way he handles housekeeping.

The teaser ends with scenes of Da-hae freaked out by the family’s antics and running away, but while she might not love her living setup, Mom is determined to keep her with them: “I’m sure. This is the girl who’s going to save our powers.”

Having seen the new teaser, I’m intrigued about this drama’s premise, but I am a little concerned on how it’s going to portray these “modern problems,” especially as it relates to the plus-sized Dong-hee and her powers. Some of the articles I’ve come across connect Dong-hee’s struggles to body dysmorphia and her inability to trust her powers; others outright describe her as someone who can’t fly because gained weight. It’s too early to tell what angle the actual show is going to take, but I’m really hoping her character arc is nuanced and not reduced to a diet-solves-all-your-problems transformation story. We can leave the bodyshaming at the front door where it belongs, in my opinion.

Directed by Jo Hyun-taek (Snowdrop) with screenplay written by Joo Hwa-mi (Welcome), The Atypical Family will premiere on May 4 on JTBC.

https://www.dramabeans.com/2024/04/meet-the-superpowered-atypical-family-in-new-teaser/

20240422174320_atypical-family.jpg?s=900Jang Ki Yong, Chun Woo Hee, Claudia Kim, And More Create Pleasant Synergy On Set Of “The Atypical Family”

Apr 23, 2024
by J Lee

On April 22, JTBC’s new weekend drama “The Atypical Family” shared some behind-the-scenes photos, raising anticipation for the upcoming story!

“The Atypical Family” tells the story of a supernatural family who lost their powers after suffering from very realistic problems. The drama is directed by Cho Hyun Tak of “SKY Castle” and penned by Joo Hwa Mi of “Marriage, Not Dating” and Kang Eun Kyung of “Dr. Romantic.”

In the newly released photos, Jang Ki Yong perfectly embodies Bok Gwi Joo, a depressed time traveler trapped in past happiness as he grapples with current despair. Jang Ki Yong commented on his character, saying, “Bok Gwi Joo may seem lethargic and indifferent to everything, but he’s the one who strives harder than anyone to retrieve happiness.” He added, “It was difficult to portray contrasting emotions—from the current miserable state to past happiness—at the same time. I tried to convey even the smallest details beyond his external vibes.”

Spoiler

the-atypical-family7.jpg

the-atypical-family1.jpg

A mysterious intruder, Do Da Hae (Chun Woo Hee), who brings depressed Bok Gwi Joo out to the world, intrigues viewers as her identity gradually unfolds. The actress stated, “Do Da Hae is a character who hides behind layers of persona.” She further expressed affection for the character, saying, “If you follow along Do Da Hae’s perception and mind, you will uncover her multidimensional charms.” As Chun Woo Hee is seen reading through her script even during breaks, anticipation is high as to what changes Do Da Hae will bring to the supernatural family.

the-atypical-family8.jpg

Spoiler

the-atypical-family2.jpg

the-atypical-family6.jpg

The released photos also capture Go Doo Shim and Oh Man Seok rehearsing their scenes. Go Doo Shim portrays Bok Man Heum, a key figure in the Bok family who lost her ability of foresight after struggling with insomnia, while Oh Man Seok plays Bok Man Heum’s husband, Eom Soon Gu, who is the only member of the family without supernatural power. In the behind-the-scenes still image, both burst into laughter as Oh Man Seok piggybacks Go Doo Shim, offering a glimpse of a pleasant atmosphere on the set.

Spoiler

the-atypical-family3.jpg

The photos also depict the filming scenes of Claudia Kim as Bok Dong Hee, who lost her flying ability after gaining weight. Claudia Kim underwent special makeup to fully embody the character, which she felt ambitious about due to the rare opportunity to portray such a character. Her visual transformation already generated buzz online upon the release of the character poster. Claudia Kim shared, “Since Bok Dong Hee has a distinctive character, I tried to portray her as freely as possible.”

Spoiler

the-atypical-family4.jpg

the-atypical-family9.jpg

the-atypical-family5.jpg

Meanwhile, Park So Yi posed in front of the camera adorably, contrasting with her sensitive and volatile teenage character Bok Yi Na. As a member of the secretive Bok family, viewers are left curious to know the story behind Yi Na.

Spoiler

the-atypical-family-5.jpg

Director Cho Hyun Tak expressed his trust in the actors, remarking, “All actors gave their best. Jang Ki Yong delivered careful and profound acting in every scene, while Chun Woo Hee portrayed the ever-changing character with sincere and unique charm. Go Doo Shim enhanced the character’s completeness by personally preparing the clothing, and Claudia Kim’s acting transcended physical and emotional limits.”

“The Atypical Family” is set to premiere on May 4. 

https://www.soompi.com/article/1656526wpp/jang-ki-yong-chun-woo-hee-claudia-kim-and-more-create-pleasant-synergy-on-set-of-the-atypical-family

Spoiler

Jang Ki Yong And Chun Woo Hee Praise Each Other And Reflect On Their Upcoming Drama

Jang Ki Yong And Chun Woo Hee Praise Each Other And Reflect On Their Upcoming Drama "The Atypical Family"

Jang Ki Yong and Chun Woo Hee has joined Elle Korea for a stunning photo shoot!

On April 24, Elle Korea unveiled a pictorial starring “The Atypical Family” stars Jang Ki Yong and Chun Woo Hee.

“The Atypical Family” is a fantasy romance drama about a family that once had supernatural powers, but lost them after suffering from realistic modern-day problems. Jang Ki Yong plays the “depressed time traveler” Bok Gwi Joo, who was once a firefighter with positive energy and a strong sense of calling. Chun Woo Hee stars as Do Da Hae, a mysterious woman who appears in front of Bok Gwi Joo’s family.

Following the photo shoot, Chun Woo Hee shared, “Bok Gwi Joo of ‘The Atypical Family’ was really cool, but today’s Ki Yong really looked like a model,” while Jang Ki Yong praised, “Noona said that she has a difficult time with photo shoots, but I was shocked because she did such a good job.”

jang-ki-yong-chun-woo-hee-2.jpeg

On “The Atypical Family” being Jang Ki Yong’s first drama since his discharge from the military, the actor shared, “I’m filled with anticipation, worry, and curiosity. While in the military, I watched the dramas I starred in with my peers, but it was a really strange feeling. I think I’ll feel differently this time.”

Spoiler

jang-ki-yong-2.jpeg

When asked how “The Atypical Family” is different from other supernatural dramas, Chun Woo Hee shared, “I think in our drama, supernatural powers aren’t ‘fantasy’ but ‘metaphors.’ The setup of a supernatural family that has lost their supernaturals—couldn’t this be a story about the potential power that everyone has?  I hope this delivers comfort and healing vibes to those who aren’t able to perform to their full capabilities in modern society.”

chun-woo-hee-.jpeg

On the question of what is most important in romantic acting, Chun Woo Hee shared, “I believe romance acting should both satisfy [viewers’] fantasy and be realistic. I don’t tend to agree that normally having lots of experience helps with acting, but I think for romance, you need to have experience. For certain, you need to have a lot of emotions.”

Jang Ki Yong answered, “Rather than words, I tend to be the type to express with actions. That’s why I’m shy when it comes to expressing affection, and this is definitely a difficult aspect when acting. Overcoming that is my assignment.”

jang-ki-yong-chun-woo-hee.jpeg

Jang Ki Yong and Chun Woo Hee’s full pictorial and interview will be available through the May issue of Elle.

“The Atypical Family” is set to premiere on May 4 at 10:30 p.m. KST.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1656878wpp/jang-ki-yong-and-chun-woo-hee-praise-each-other-and-reflect-on-their-upcoming-drama-the-atypical-family

• Like 1

by Lily Alice, April 24, 2024
3 0

The Atypical Family dropped stills of Kim Geum SoonRyu Abel, and Choi Kwang Rok

The Atypical Family tells the story of a family of superpowered individuals who have lost their abilities due to chronic diseases common to modern-day people and a woman who becomes involved with them. 

The newly released stills raise curiosity about Do Da Hae's connection to the "jjimjilbang (bathhouse) family". 

WPBB5O_2f.png

qYwwkQ_2f.png

Kim Geum Soon plays Baek Il Hong, the leader of the jjimjilbang family. She is a person with connections and information. 

RBJJeP_2f.png

Ryu Abel portrays Grace. Despite the name, she can't speak a word of English. One wonders what circumstances led her to join the family.  

Spoiler

jQ44W8_2f.png

E5DDYp_2f.png

The production team of The Atypical Family shared, "The interesting relationship between Do Da Hee and the jjimjilbang family is something to look forward to," adding, "The performances of acting masters Kim Geum Soon, Ryu Abel, and Roy Choi will add fun to the drama."

https://mydramalist.com/article/chun-woo-hee-is-acquainted-with-mysterious-people-in-the-atypical-family

by Lily Alice, April 25, 2024
5 0

The OTT giant Netflix has released a trailer for the upcoming JTBC drama The Atypical Family, starring Jang Ki YongChun Woo HeeKim Su HyunGo Doo ShimPark So Yi, and Oh Man Seokthereby confirming the K-drama will be available for international viewers on the streaming service. 

The Atypical Family tells the story of a family of superpowered individuals who have lost their abilities due to chronic diseases common to modern-day people and a woman who becomes involved with them.  

The trailer begins with showing Do Da Hae (Chun Woo Hee) coming to a gathering of the Bok family.  

Bok Dong Hee (Kim Su Hyun, aka Claudia Kim) says, "My family wasn't always like this. We're all just a little broken."

Do Da Hae is fascinated by the Bok family mansion. She sums up Bok family's superpowers: Bok Man Heum (Go Doo Shim) can see the future, Bok Dong Hee (Claudia Kim) can fly, and Bok Gwi Joo (Jang Ki Yong) can travel to the past. But Bok Yi Na (Park So Yi) doesn't have any powers. However, all the family members have lost their abilities due to chronic diseases. 

Bok Man Heum (Go Doo Shim) reveals the reason for bringing Do Da Hae into the family mansion, "I'm sure of it. She's the savior who's come to restore all our powers."

The Atypical Family will premiere on May 4. The K-drama will be available for streaming on Netflix. Watch the teaser here

https://mydramalist.com/article/netflix-brings-the-atypical-family-to-global-audience

On 4/22/2024 at 4:29 PM, larus said:

In the latest teaser for JTBC’s upcoming rom-com The Atypical Family, we’re introduced to Jang Ki-yong (Now, We Are Breaking Up) and the rest of his not-so-heroic family.

Wait a second, this is a rom-com?!?!?!? :scream:

The plot sounds super interesting even WITHOUT romance? @4evrkdrama are you planning on watching this? It's your oppa. I barely recognized him - with the new hairstyle. :flushed:

• Like 2

5 hours ago, partyon said:

The plot sounds super interesting even WITHOUT romance? @4evrkdrama are you planning on watching this? It's your oppa. I barely recognized him - with the new hairstyle. :flushed:

Eonni He is not my Oppa,

I liked him in My Roommate is Gumiho though (their chem was awesome)

But am looking forward to this drama, plot seems interesting and i like the lead actress

• Blob 1

20240428111103_chun-woo-hee-jang-ki-yongWatch: Chun Woo Hee And Jang Ki Yong Are Linked In Mysterious Ways In "The Atypical Family" Teasers

Apr 28, 2024
by S Nam

JTBC’s “The Atypical Family” has unveiled new teasers ahead of the premiere!

“The Atypical Family” is a fantasy romance drama about a family that once had supernatural powers, but lost them after suffering from realistic modern-day problems. Jang Ki Yong plays the “depressed time traveler” Bok Gwi Joo, who was once a firefighter with positive energy and a strong sense of calling. Chun Woo Hee stars as Do Da Hae, a mysterious woman who appears in front of Bok Gwi Joo’s family.

The newly released teasers depict the perspectives of Bok Gwi Joo and Do Da Hae. Time traveler Bok Gwi Joo is desperately searching through the past to reach someone. However, the time that has stopped for him seems to flow again once he reaches Do Da Hae. As he grabs Do Da Hae’s hand, Bok Gwi Joo narrates, “Will I be able to love again? Is it okay to love?”

The teaser that depicts Do Da Hae’s perspective also raises curiosity with the depiction of their first encounter. Do Da Hae doesn’t hesitate to jump into the sea after seeing Bok Gwi Joo in the water. Her words, “Someone saved me a long time ago. Maybe it was you from the future who grabbed my hand,” shakes up Bok Gwi Joo’s heart. Furthermore, Do Da Hae’s remark to Gwi Joo, “From the beginning, I saw that person in you,” raises questions about the upcoming story.

“The Atypical Family” is set to premiere on May 4 at 10:30 p.m.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1657788wpp/watch-chun-woo-hee-and-jang-ki-yong-are-linked-in-mysterious-ways-in-the-atypical-family-teasers

• Like 1

Jang Ki-yong and Chun Woo-hee find each other through time

by Jenzy

AF04.jpg

If the last teaser took us on a detour and acquainted us with our Atypical Family, this week’s two character teasers reroute us back toward our main couple Jang Ki-yong (Now, We Are Breaking Up) and Chun Woo-hee (Delightfully Deceitful) as they heal each other from their respective scars.

The first teaser gives us the perspective of our no-longer-time-travelling hero, Bok Gwi-joo (Jang Ki-yong). While he’s depressed and generally apathetic to life, we see him start to melt as he meets his house’s newcomer Do Da-hae (Chun Woo-hee). His voiceover tells us how much he longs for human connection: “There’s no way you would know how much I wished and prayed for someone, from any time, to reach me.”

It looks like his wish is starting to come true as he tenderly reaches out for Da-hae’s hand and asks, “Can I love someone again? Is that allowed?” But even this step forward comes with a giant leap backward in the form of Gwi-joo’s traumatic past involving a fire and a collapsed building. An accident he’s never been able to shake since.

Thankfully, Da-hae isn’t about to let Gwi-joo drown in his sorrows — literally — as her teaser starts with her running into the ocean Gwi-joo is floating in. She tells him frankly, “I was once saved by someone too, a long time ago.” We then see her terrified in a crowded mall during a fire alarm, and Gwi-joo taking her hand and running outside. “Didn’t you come from the future to grab my hand? I recognized you the first moment we met.”

Looks like the two go way back. Is Da-hae connected to the day of Gwi-joo’s accident? Will the two be able to overcome their pain and be together? Will Jang Ki-yong ever get a glow-up haircut? Tune in next week for the premiere to find out!

Directed by Jo Hyun-taek (Snowdrop) with screenplay written by Joo Hwa-mi (Welcome), The Atypical Family will premiere on May 4 on JTBC.

https://www.dramabeans.com/2024/04/jang-ki-yong-and-chun-woo-hee-find-each-other-through-time/

• Like 1

Chun Woo Hee And Jang Ki Yong Reunite Again After Their First Encounter In “The Atypical Family”

Apr 30, 2024
by E Ezeji

JTBC’s “The Atypical Family” has shared brand new stills!

“The Atypical Family” tells the story of a supernatural family who lost their powers after suffering from very realistic issues. The drama is directed by Cho Hyun Tak of “SKY Castle” and penned by writer Joo Hwa Mi of “Marriage, Not Dating” and writer Kang Eun Kyung of “Dr. Romantic.”

Jang Ki Yong will play the “depressed time traveler” Bok Gwi Joo, who was once a firefighter with positive energy and a strong sense of calling, but is now having trouble getting through each day. Although Bok Gwi Joo has the ability to time-travel to when he was happy, he loses both his happiness and his special power due to an unexpected accident. Chun Woo Hee stars as Do Da Hae, a mysterious woman who appears in front of Bok Gwi Joo’s family.

The following stills depict the first encounter between Bok Gwi Joo and Do Da Hae. In the first photo, a depressed Bok Gwi Joo, who is still trapped in the time when he desperately wanted to save someone but couldn’t, is captured with a facial expression that reflects the struggles he is passing through.the-atypical-family-1_5db721.jpg

While staring blankly into space, Bok Gwi Joo walks into the sea. Do Da Hae, who is watching him from behind, has an urgent expression on her face as if she’s about to jump in at any moment.

Spoiler

the-atypical-family-2_de5f09.jpg

the-atypical-family-3_7b22d4.jpg

The next stills depict a reunion between Bok Gwi Joo and Do Da Hae following their first encounter. Do Da Hae grabs Bok Gwi Joo as if she has something to say to him, while he stares at her with a cold expression on his face.

Spoiler

the-atypical-family-5_dcdbd0.jpg

the-atypical-family-4_790f2b.jpg

In the following photos, the shock on Bok Gwi Joo’s face upon seeing Do Da Hae on the ground piques viewers’ curiosity about what might have transpired between them.

the-atypical-family-7_19b37d.jpg

Spoiler

the-atypical-family-6_f1aadf.jpg

Commenting on the relationship between Bok Gwi Joo and Do Da Hae, Jang Ki Yong shared, “’The Atypical Family’ is a unique time-slip drama about redemption. As you follow Bok Gwi Joo’s emotions, you’ll find yourself engrossed in Bok Gwi Joo and Do Da Hae’s story.”

Chun Woo Hae commented, “The romance between Bok Gwi Joo and Do Da Hae is portrayed attractively. It will be interesting to watch the story of Bok Gwi Joo and Do Da Hae, the relationship between the characters, and the acting synergy between the actors.”

“The Atypical Family” is set to premiere on May 4 at 10:30 p.m. KST.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1658088wpp/chun-woo-hee-and-jang-ki-yong-reunite-again-after-their-first-encounter-in-the-atypical-family

• Like 1

Jang Ki Yong and Chun Woo Hee find each other amid chaos in The Atypical Family highlight teaser

The Atypical Family has released an elaborate trailer highlighting the plot of the story for the upcoming K-drama. Read to know more details.

Updated on May 02, 2024 

1666450320_the-atypical-family_202405.jp

The Atypical Family is an upcoming K-drama series that will be released in the coming days. Starring Jang Ki Yong and Chun Woo Hee, the elaborate highlight trailer has been released, which reveals a glimpse of the characters’ past. Moreover, the teaser also showcases what we can expect from the story, creating anticipation among fans.

On May 1, 2024, the production team of the upcoming K-drama titled The Atypical Family has released the highlight trailer, revealing Jang Ki Yong’s past. The actor plays the lead character, named Bok Gwi Joo, who falls into depression following an unfortunate accident. A glimpse of his past is shown, where he had a wife and a newborn baby. However, he loses both of the precious people in his life after a gruesome crash. Adter that incident, his life falls apart, and he ends up losing his supernatural power. 

However, Bok Gwi Joo’s mother sees Chun Woo Hee’s character, Do Da Hae, in her dreams, which makes her believe that she is the key to solving all their problems. All the other members of the family constantly struggle to revive their powers, which they end up losing due to various factors. Moreover, Bok Gwi Joo and Do Da Hee eventually grow closer to each other, leading to the development of romantic feelings. It will be interesting to witness how the story evolves. 

more https://www.pinkvilla.com/entertainment/jang-ki-yong-and-chun-woo-hee-find-each-other-amid-chaos-in-the-atypical-family-highlight-teaser-1301348

• Like 2

Jang Ki Yong shares his thoughts on his first drama in three years

Posted by Sophie-Ha

1714678260-header-photo.jpg

Actor Jang Ki Yong will be making a long-awaited return to the small screen after three years.

On April 2, the production presentation of JTBC's new weekend drama 'I'm Not a Hero' was held at the Stanford Hotel in Sangam-dong, Seoul. Among those present were Jang Ki Yong, Chun Woo Hee, Suhyun, Park So Yi, and director Jo Hyun Tak.

'I'm Not a Hero' tells the story of a man with extraordinary abilities who finally saves the woman of his destiny, a feat no one else could accomplish. Based on a webtoon, the series casts Jang Ki Yong as Bok Gyu, a man who loses his superpowers due to depression.

This project has garnered significant attention as Jang Ki Yong's comeback after completing his military service and a three-year hiatus. Having enlisted on active duty in the army in August 2021, he returned to civilian life in February of last year. His previous project was SBS's 'Now, We Are Breaking Up,' which concluded in January 2022, where he starred alongside Song Hye Kyo.

Reflecting on his return, Jang Ki Yong shared, "Looking back on my 20s, I was incredibly busy. Taking a break for the first time during the one-and-a-half-year hiatus felt necessary. After completing my military service and immersing myself in this project, I felt a newfound sense of peace."

Speaking about the changes after his discharge, he remarked, "In the past, if I was chasing something and feeling anxious, preparing for 'I'm Not a Hero' as my comeback work allowed me to find peace of mind slowly and sometimes leisurely. This experience has shown me what it truly means to have peace of mind."

As for why he chose 'I'm Not a Hero' as his comeback project, Jang Ki Yong explained, "The script intrigued me, and I found the dynamics of the family members with heroes particularly captivating. Additionally, there was the excitement of delivering unexpected performances, even for myself, upon returning to the screen."

JTBC's highly-anticipated weekend drama 'I'm Not a Hero' is set to premiere on the 4th at 10:30 PM.

https://www.allkpop.com/article/2024/05/jang-ki-yong-shares-his-thoughts-on-his-first-drama-in-three-years

• Like 2

Premiere Watch: The Atypical Family

by missvictrix

675797_1035406_5632.jpg

Time slot: Saturday-Sunday
Broadcaster: JTBC
Genre: Fantasy, romance
Episode count: 12
Global streamer: Netflix

Reasons to watch: I didn’t know how much I a) missed Jang Ki-yong and b) needed this pairing until I saw the press conference shots for The Atypical Family. Tagged squarely as a fantasy romance, I am going to hold them to that genre designation, because more than superpowered main characters, I want to see a darn good love story play out here. With a bit of magical superpowers thrown in to shake things up. While our talent behind the camera — having brought us projects like Welcome and Snowdrop — doesn’t exactly fill me with glee, there’s something about this premise that might just harness the perfect amounts of ennui, healing vibes, family dynamics, and romance.

• Like 1

• larus changed the title to [Current Drama 2024] The Atypical Family/Although I Am Not a Hero, 히어로는 아닙니다만-Chun Woo Hee & Jang Ki Yong- Sat&Sun@10:30 p.m. KST

Here are the ratings for Episode 1! :).

20240505014922_Chief-Detective-1958-The-

"Chief Detective 1958" Earns Its Highest Saturday Ratings Yet + "The Atypical Family" Premieres

A star-studded new drama has joined the battle for weekend viewership ratings!

On May 4, JTBC’s “The Atypical Family”—a new fantasy romance starring Jang Ki Yong, Chun Woo Hee, and Claudia Kim—aired its first episode. According to Nielsen Korea, the drama premiered to an average nationwide rating of 3.3 percent.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1659152wpp/chief-detective-1958-earns-its-highest-saturday-ratings-yet-the-atypical-family-premieres

• Like 1