[Current Drama 2022 & 2024] Pachinko, 파친코 - Lee Min Ho, Youn Yuh Jung, Jin Ha, Anna Sawai, Minha Kim, Soji Arai, Kaho Minami - Streaming on Apple TV+ | Season 1 & 2

syntyche

January nominations: 7 books you need to know to add to your wishlist

Deep and reflective narratives to add to your bookcase

Nothing better than book recommendations for discovering new readings, isn't it? To get to know new narratives that may become your favorites, check out the list below for this month of January. 

1. Pachinko
In this novel driven by the battles faced by immigrants, the pachinko halls, the slot game ubiquitous throughout Japan, are the focal point of the central concerns of history: identity, homeland and belonging. For the Korean population in Japan, discriminated against and excluded, salons are the main means of getting work and trying to accumulate some money.

spacer.png

https://contigo.uol.com.br/noticias/ultimas/indicacoes-de-janeiro-7-livros-que-voce-precisa-conhecer-para-adicionar-a-sua-wishlist.phtml

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

https://entertain.naver.com/read?oid=640&aid=0000007841

Jung Woong-in reportedly set to join star-studded cast for 'Pachinko' series

Reports on Tuesday say actor Jung Woong-in will join the star-studded cast for the highly anticipated drama series “Pachinko,” which will be produced by Apple TV+.

The confirmed cast includes Korean heartthrob Lee Min-ho, who has gained international fame after appearing in “Boys Over Flowers,” and Youn Yuh-jung, who is currently sweeping awards from U.S. film associations for her role in “Minari,” as well as Japanese actors Soji Arai and Kaho Minami.

Based on the book by Lee Min-jin, “Pachinko” revolves around four generations of a Korean family that journeys between Korea, Japan and America, telling stories of war and peace, love and loss.

The script was penned by Korean-American Soo Hugh, who will also serve as creator and showrunner, with Korean director Kogonada and actor Justin Chon set to direct multiple episodes of the series.

It will be filmed across multiple continents, and the story is to be told in Korean, Japanese and English.

• Like 5

The perception of being "an Asian actor =an action actor" breaks down.

The world is rapidly being reorganized into a single living zone with YouTube, streaming, and Instagram. In particular, as barriers between countries of content are rapidly breaking down on the OTT platform, actors are also being introduced to the global market in a different way than before. For example, "Alive" ranked fourth in foreign films most watched by Netflix subscribers in the U.S. in 2020, through which Yoo Ah-in and Park Shin-hye naturally entered into the awareness of global viewers.

Apple in the U.S. is speeding up the production of the drama of Korean writer Lee Min-jin's novel "Pachinko," and Lee Min-ho, Yoon Yeo-jung, and Jung Eun-chae have been cast in this global project, which is made in three languages.

In the past, when asked about his intention to enter Hollywood, Jung Woo-sung said, "In Hollywood, you have to be a master of martial arts such as Jackie Chan and Lee Yeon-gul to continue to be the main characters. Hollywood is not the final destination. I want to be a major actor in a society where Asians are mainstream." The works starring him are now being distributed around the world through OTT. It is an era where you can show your ability in Hollywood even if you are not a master of martial arts, and an era has opened where you can send a message to the world with Korean emotions.

http://www.sisajournal.com/news/articleView.html?idxno=210630

• Like 5
  • Blob 2

9 Recommended Korean Dramas for 2021: Park Shin Hye in Sisyphus Myth, Lee Min Ho in Pachinko

Friday, 15 January 2021

lee-min-ho-main-drama-korea-terbaru-tahu

6. Pachinko

2d2f72a2-d0db-400e-89ea-fc871a8dca27_lee

Starring Lee Min Ho and his first Apple TV + debut.

Lee Min Ho is playing the latest Korean drama of 2021 called "Pachinko."
In addition to Lee Min Ho, the drama also stars Jin Ha, a Korean-American actor.

This drama is based on the bestselling novel of the same name by Korean-American writer Min Jin Lee.

Family history is set in the 20th century, when four generations of Korean families move to Japan amid the Korean occupation and other major political and cultural changes.

Lee Min Ho plays Hansu, a mysterious outsider and merchant with ties to organized crime.

Meanwhile, Jin Ha plays Solomon, an ambitious and charming young man who is forced to deal with his family's past. Pachinko is slated to launch on Apple TV + in 2021.

Translated from Indonesian google

https://bogor.tribunnews.com/2021/01/15/9-drama-korea-rekomendasi-tahun-2021-park-shin-hye-di-sisyphus-the-myth-lee-min-ho-di-pachinko?page=4

• Like 3

Pachinko: The book combines family travel with the history of Korea and Japan.

In this beautiful novel, author Min Jin Lee describes the historical panorama that divided Korea in two from the perspective of Korean immigrants in Japan.

Author: Raquel Carneiro
January 15, 2021

min-jin-lee.jpg?quality=70&strip=info&re

Min Jin Lee, author of the Korean novel Pachinko, pictured for Harvard University by Stephanie Mitchell / Harvard /

In the early 20th century, when Korea was a single state, Sunja and her mother lived in relative peace, despite the fact that there were few people in the family boarding house. The situation is interrupted when a teenage girl becomes pregnant by a married man. When her future is at stake, Sunja joins a young pastor as he drives through the city.

The saga unfolds over four generations in this compelling novel, in which, narrating the trajectory of Sunji and her heirs, from the point of view of ordinary people, he observes the colonization of the country by neighboring Japan, the aftermath of World War II and the clashes that she will share, until today Korea is halved.

CAPA-LIVRO-PACHINKO-MIN-JIN-LEE.jpg.jpg?

Translation from Portuguese google

https://veja.abril.com.br/blog/veja-recomenda/pachinko-livro-mescla-jornada-familiar-a-historia-da-coreia-e-japao/

• Like 4

Touched by a few good reads

SEARCHING for her next read on the Goodreads app, Tammy was presented with a nice summary of her literary journey in 2020. Here, she shares the books that 'spoke' to her!

spacer.png

PACHINKO

Author: Min Jin Lee

Pages: 490

AT one point, I elected this one my pick of "Book of the Year" for its gripping storyline that got me hungrily flipping the pages. Pachinko is Korean American writer, Min Jin Lee's sophomore novel following Free Food For Millionaires. In it, Lee narrates the lives of four generations of a Korean family who migrated to Japan, beginning with Sunja's father and ending with Sunja's grandson, Solomon.

As I followed the family's trials and tribulations, I learnt so much more about the history and settings of one of my favourite cities in the world, Korea. I thoroughly enjoyed getting to know every character in the book spanning across 1883 to 1989, although some, unfortunately, I wasn't able to spend more time with.

The book highlights the contrasting lifestyles between the old and the young and their struggles as they attempt to survive in a discriminatory world. Despite the fact that the current generation has more privileges and better access to education, they're still unable to escape societal prejudices.

The historical and cultural offerings in the book also opened my eyes to the intricate and sensitive relationship between the Japanese and the Koreans. The underlining theme is that of one of Man's biggest flaws — our "blanket mindset" — casting judgements, stereotyping and generalising people based on race, occupation and past.

The book articulates that no one, or no one thing in life is all bad; and that more often than not, many things in life are superficial. The beauty of it all is when someone finds the will and ways to overcome the challenges of unfairness and thus discovers the simple joys in life.

In conclusion, Lee has beautifully woven together a powerful and poignant piece of historical fiction — about heritage, family, discrimination, and stereotypes. Don't let the title fool you for the story of Pachinko has way more depth than the popular gambling machine!

https://www.nst.com.my/lifestyle/sunday-vibes/2021/01/658021/touched-few-good-reads

• Like 4

The famous Harry Dantulori coffee shop, "Drama, Pachinko" Busan

o0966054314883654936.jpg?caw=800

This time around, the support site is the filming location for the drama Pachinko, due out on Apple TV in 2021.

The protagonist of this coffee machine was Soo Hugh, the main scriptwriter of Pachinko. Harry Dantulori went to Busan Kageshima for a coffee machine gift. Arriving at the place, I began to carefully put the muffin in front of the coffee machine!

Before opening, many staff visited us. After finishing preparations for the opening, I started making ordered drinks, but I ordered many cold drinks, probably because it was a peaceful day in Busan. There were many foreign staff in this drama. I thought it would be inconvenient for foreigners, so I prepared a special English menu. It was really easier for foreigners on the spot !!

o0966072514883655085.jpg

Yoon Yoo Jung and many of the cast members tried Harry Dantulori's drink. I was able to end the support happily by saying, "Thank you for your hard work." It was a fun support site under sunny and warm skies.

https://m.blog.naver.com/PostView.nhn?blogId=mywoals123&logNo=222210747635&navType=tl

https://ameblo.jp/minochoiyoung/entry-12651161596.html

• Like 4

spacer.png

Lee Min-ho said, "It's been a while since 'Boys Over Flowers' audition; Happy to pass the 'Pachinko' Audition

Actor Lee Min-ho has been selected as a cover model for the February issue of "GQ Korea." In this photo shoot with Fendi, Lee Min-ho showed off the spring-summer collection of Fendi 2021.

Lee Min-ho also told stories about the recently launched YouTube channel "Lee Min-ho Film" and his new film "Pachinko" in an interview with "GQ Korea." "Lee Min-ho Film" not only sets the theme of plum blossoms, but also directly selects 70 to 80 percent of the background music selection, and through this, he said, "I feel joy when I work." 

The drama "Pachinko," in which Lee Min-ho plays the lead role of Hansu, is an original series produced by Apple TV+ and is drawing global attention. Lee Min-ho, who joined the audition after reviewing the script at the suggestion of the U.S. production company, also expressed his thoughts on the audition he experienced for the first time in a long time.

When asked whether it was a ceremonial audition or whether he expected the result, Lee Min-ho said, "Not at all. It's my first audition in ten years, and the situation has changed. If I fail the audition, it's embarrassing. I've been preparing for this. I've been preparing for it very hard. It's been a long time since Boys over Flowers (2009). But I was really happy to pass."

spacer.png

He has shown an unrivaled presence and synchronicity in works depicting the prince with white horse image in "Boys Over Flowers," "The Heirs," and "The King." He may stay at that peak, but Lee doesn't seem hesitant to make a difference.

"If a prince on a white horse is my representative image, I should go to the end as an emperor on a white horse. I reached the peak and the image. I thought the image was over with The King, and then I was thinking about change. In the meantime, I came across Pachinko, and the idea became stronger, so I started Lee Min-ho film," Lee Min-ho said, simply expressing his new path and thoughts.

spacer.png

Lee Min-ho's pictorial and interview, which attracted a lot of attention from multinational fans just with the pre-released cover image, can be seen through the February issue of "GQ Korea" and the website.  A pictorial sketch video will also be released on GQ Korea's Instagram.

http://www.xportsnews.com/?ac=article_view&entry_id=1379990

• Like 3

Lee Min Ho Talks About Auditioning For “Pachinko,” Opening YouTube Channel, And More

spacer.png

Lee Min Ho recently participated in a pictorial and interview for the latest issue of GQ Korea!

The actor sat down to talk about his global project Apple TV+’s “Pachinko” and his YouTube channel “leeminho film.”

First off, Lee Min Ho mentioned “leeminho film” and revealed he decides the theme and background music and does 70 to 80 percent of the editing. He commented, “I feel the joy of working independently.”

spacer.png

The actor also talked about auditioning for the role of Hansu in “Panchinko.”

The drama is based on Min Jin Lee’s best-selling novel of the same name, which follows four generations of a Korean immigrant family, telling their saga that unfolds across Korea, Japan, and the United States. Lee Min Ho’s character Hansu is described as “a rich and powerful merchant with ties to organized crime.”

When asked if this was an audition that guaranteed him the role, he explained, “Not at all. It’s been about a decade since I auditioned, but the situation has changed from then. I thought it would be so embarrassing if I failed the audition, and I was determined to get the role, so I worked really hard to prepare for it.”

He added, “I felt very pressured about having to do well. I was really nervous and excited, and I was really happy when I got the part.”

spacer.png

Lee Min Ho has shown unrivaled presence and synchronization in works like “Boys Over Flowers,” “Heirs,” and “The King: Eternal Monarch.” He impressed fans with his roles as the “knight in shining armor,” and he could continue to stay at the top with familiar characters, but the actor isn’t hesitant about making changes.

He said, “If the knight in shining armor is my representative image, (then actually) I should keep going until I become the emperor in shining armor. I should stop pursing that image after reaching the peak, so I thought it was over after ‘The King: Eternal Monarch,’ and I wanted to make a change after that.”

He continued, “That’s when I met ‘Pachinko,’ and that determination became stronger, so that’s why I started ‘leeminho film.'”

https://www.soompi.com/article/1449658wpp/lee-min-ho-talks-about-auditioning-for-pachinko-opening-youtube-channel-and-more

• Like 4
  • Blob 1

Lee Min Ho on auditioning for the role of Hansu in Pachinko: I felt very pressured about having to do well

Lee Min-ho, whose next project is Pachinko, spoke candidly in an interview about his nervous and exciting audition to bag the role of Hansu, a rich and powerful merchant with ties to organised crime.

Written By Pinkvilla Desk  18711 reads  Mumbai  Updated: January 20, 2021

spacer.png

After leaving us completely besotted with his royal avatar in The King: Eternal Monarch, the past few months have seen Lee Min-ho shift gears to his next exciting project, Pachinko. The upcoming Apple TV+ series is based on Min Jin-lee's best-selling novel going by the same name and tells the story of four generations of a Korean immigrant family.

The storyline spreads across Korea, Japan and the United States. If you're curious to know about Min-ho's Pachinko character, in particular, Hansu is "a rich and powerful merchant with ties to organised crime." In a recent interview with GQ Korea via Soompi, Min-ho shared his honest thoughts about auditioning for Pachinko. When asked if this was an audition which guaranteed him the role of Hansu, the 33-year-old actor stated that it wasn't the case at all. Min-ho revealed that it's been about a decade since he auditioned and that the situation has changed from back then.

Min-ho also confessed to GQ Korea that he thought it would be "so embarrassing" if he failed the audition and hence, was determined to bag the role for which he worked really hard to prepare for. The talented actor felt very pressured about having to audition well and was also really nervous and excited. Eventually, as we already know, Min-ho got the part and he was really happy when he did.

Are you excited to watch Lee Min-ho in Pachinko? Share your excitement with Pinkvilla in the comments section below.

Meanwhile, along with Min-ho, Pachinko also stars Jin Ha, Anna Sawai, Minha Kim, Soji Arai, Kaho Minami and Jung Eun-chae.

https://www.pinkvilla.com/entertainment/lee-min-ho-auditioning-role-hansu-pachinko-i-felt-very-pressured-about-having-do-well-597208

• Like 4

Lee Min Ho, unwilling to exploit his popularity, turns out to be doing it to get a role in "Pachinko"

00348698.jpg

During a recent interview, Lee Min Ho talked about his attempts to get a role in Pachinko. Curious? Check out the Full Description Below.

Team WowKeren Jan 20, 2021

WowKeren.com - Handsome actor Lee Min Ho recently did a photo shoot and interview with GQ Korea magazine. He discussed many interesting things, including about his new drama "Pachinko".

The drama itself is based on Min Ji Lee's bestseller of the same name. The story follows four generations of Korean immigrant families living in Korea, Japan and the United States. Lee Min Ho will play Hansu, a wealthy and influential merchant with ties to organized crime.

Despite his big name and the ability to easily choose the project he wanted, Lee Min Ho agreed to audition to get a role in "Pachinko." “It's been about ten years since I auditioned (for the role), but things have changed since then. I thought it would be embarrassing if I failed the audition, and I was determined to get the part. So I worked very hard to prepare for it, ”Lee said. Min Ho.

Lee Min Ho's extensive acting experience doesn't necessarily make Lee Min Ho relax while auditioning. He said, “I really felt the pressure to play well. I was nervous and worried and I was very happy when I got the part. "

Lee Min Ho also admitted that he did not hesitate to make the change, even though he called his name one of the best actors in South Korea. He even wanted to raise his image from a knight in shining armor to an emperor in armor.

“If a knight in armor is my image, then I must continue to advance until I become an emperor in armor. I have to stop pursuing this image after reaching the peak. So I thought it was over after King: Eternal Monarch, and I wanted to make changes after that, "he explained.

“It was then that I met Pachinko, and this determination became stronger. That's why I finally started (YouTube channel) "leeminho film," Lee Min Ho concluded.

Meanwhile, "Pachinko" will be a serial of only 8 episodes. This is a global project that Appel TV + will be working on. For those of you interested in the development of the news, be sure to stay tuned to WowKeren.

Translated from Indonesian google

https://www.wowkeren.com/berita/tampil/00348698.html

Other articles on this topic:

https://news.sbs.co.kr/sbsstar/endPage.do?news_id=N1006178777

https://cianjurpedia.pikiran-rakyat.com/showbiz/pr-1031302191/lee-min-hoo-bicara-tentang-audisi-pachinko-dan-film-leeminho-di-channel-youtube

http://en.koreaportal.com/articles/47786/20210120/lee-min-ho-revelation-suzy-baes-ex-felt-pressured-nervous-when-he-auditioned-for-pachinko.htm

https://juegodedragones.xyz/lee-min-ho-habla-sobre-la-audicion-para-pachinko-la-apertura-del-canal-de-youtube-y-mas/

https://bts-kpop.fr/lee-min-ho-parle-de-laudition-de-pachinko-de-louverture-de-la-chaine-youtube-etc/

https://zero-lite.com/2021/01/20/lee-min-ho-bahas-audisi-untuk-pachinko-hingga-membuka-channel-youtube/

https://lifestyle.kontan.co.id/news/lee-min-ho-bahas-drama-korea-terbaru-pachinko-begini-cerita-proses-audisi-perannya

https://koreanindo.net/2021/01/20/berpose-di-majalah-gq-korea-lee-min-ho-cerita-soal-audisi-pachinko-hingga-channel-youtube-miliknya/

• Like 5

KOFIC to Promote Korean Acting Talent on Global Stage

VARIETY ENTERTAINMENT NEWS SERVICE JANUARY 20, 2021

The Korean Film Council (KOFIC) is launching an initiative to promote the country’s acting talent on the world stage. It will roll out from March, ahead of the year’s major film festivals.

The Korean Actors 200 campaign, akin to the Shooting Stars operation backed by the European Film Promotion program, is described as a “methodical project” that sees the selection of 100 men and 100 women who represent the present and the future of Korean film.

KOFIC says that the selection process takes into consideration the performers’ box office power over the last decade, awards earned at festivals in Korea and abroad, their contribution to independent cinema, and their participation in international projects.

A dedicated website will contain filmographies, new portrait photography, show reels, biographies and a list of particular characteristics and strengths for each. Portrait images will be supplied by two leading photographers Kim Jung-man and Ahn Sung-jin.

“We plan on providing the same content in a brochure that we will send to people in charge of the world’s most prestigious festivals such as Cannes, Berlin, and Venice, international VOD service providers like Netflix, international talent agencies, and leading media outlets,” KOFIC explained on its website.

The move comes at the end of a year in which “Parasite” won multiple Oscars, and Korean acting talent has achieved new levels of recognition in overseas media and at festivals. Youn Yuh-jung and Steven Yeun are currently being lauded for their performances in “Minari,” Kim Min-hee won plaudits in 2020 for her performance in “The Woman Who Ran,” and Lee Joo-young was named Asian rising star at the New York Asian Film Festival.

Additionally, Lee Min-ho secured a prominent role in “Pachinko” for Apple Plus, while Song Kang-ho (“Parasite” “Memories of Murder”), Bae Doo-na (“Cloud Atlas,” “The Host”) and Gang Dong-won (“Parasite,” “The Priests”) will head the cast of “Baby, Box, Broker,” the next film to be directed by acclaimed Japanese auteur Kore-eda Hirokazu (“Shoplifters”).

https://tribunecontentagency.com/article/kofic-to-promote-korean-acting-talent-on-global-stage/

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Lee Min Ho reveals how he landed the role of Hansu in drama Pachinko

spacer.png

Apple TV + drama is Lee Min Ho's return to acting following his 2020 starring role in The king: Eternal monarch.

After becoming King Lee Gon for The king: Eternal monarch , Lee Min Ho won the chance to star in the ambitious Apple TV + series Pachinko. In a recent interview, the Korean actor shared details about the casting in said project and the expectations he has with this new character.

Pachinko began filming in October 2020, and since the cast's official announcement, he highlighted Lee Min Ho's name as the one responsible for bringing Hansu to life. As the story is based on the best-selling book by Min Jin Lee about the migration of a Korean family in the time of the Japanese occupation, it is known that his role will be far from the image of 'romantic heartthrob' that the actor has adopted in his previous jobs.

Hansu is described as a rich and powerful merchant, with connections to organized crime. His role in the plot will be key when he appears in the life of Sunja (Kim Min Ha) and with the outbreak of an illicit romance between them.

spacer.png

Lee Min Ho received the offer to audition for the American production just after The King: Eternal monarch had ended . “The production team made the suggestion and I thought, 'oh, an audition? It sounds like fun, '"recalls the actor in his story to GQ magazine .

Understandably, for his 14 years in the Korean industry , Lee Min Ho is no longer used to competing for characters. At this point in your career, you have the privilege of choosing deals. However, Pachinko presented a different challenge as an international project.

“I read the script and it was so different from what I had seen before; and I think there is a sense of duty when it comes to in-depth Korean stories (...). Hansu's character shone and I was drawn to reviewing the script ”.

Lee Min Ho notes that he diligently prepared to land the role. “It has been more than a decade since I last auditioned, but the situation is different. I thought it would be embarrassing if I failed, and I was determined to take the role so I worked hard to prepare. "

“I was really nervous and I remembered the old days. I ran into colleagues who had also auditioned for the character and they all felt the same way. It was a good experience, full of emotion, ”said the 33-year-old actor. "I was very happy to get the role."

https://larepublica.pe/cultura-asiatica/2021/01/20/lee-min-ho-revela-como-consiguio-el-papel-de-hansu-en-drama-pachinko/?ref=lre

• Like 4

If Asians go there, they won't, will they?

211240_330573_348.jpg?type=w800

Netflix's work is a success. You can easily watch Korean dramas in the United States. One problem, however, is that security measures such as profit sharing and incentives are needed in order for Korea to properly profit from cultural content.

One such result, but it is expected that the book "Pachinko" by Lee Min Jin will be released on Apple TV with the support of Apple in Hollywood. It's really so good that I even like it.

More surprisingly, Lee Min Ho, who does not speak Korean and lives in the US, has been confirmed as the main character. Usually when I watch American films, it was weird that Koreans with really weird pronunciation were portrayed as speaking Korean, but I'm so happy that a Korean actor is taking on this role.

I don't know if it's sub-contracted like Netflix's method on Apple TV, or if it's made in Hollywood at all, but once it's produced it seems like it should be done fairly, like profit sharing. Korea is so shy about getting in touch with the United States right now, which is giving more than expected. If not, hopefully the legal part is worth taking care of.

newscj_%EC%B2%9C%EC%A7%80%EC%9D%BC%EB%B3

Lee Min Ho is not my favorite actor, but I am very lucky that the United States has learned that Korean films and content are popular, so it looks like a good thing has happened. I look forward to seeing more Korean on American TV next time, as the work has become exciting.

This drama is Korean. It is said that he will mainly use Japanese and English.

There is no official language in the USA. I only borrow and use English, so I look forward to seeing more Koreans and wonderful Asians come out naturally and wonderfully to make a big difference in people's perceptions.

Of course, I'm not the type to promote a book called Pachinko, and I'm not the type to promote Netflix, but personally I'm very happy.

If there is time later, I will definitely read the book.

https://www.donga.com/news/Culture/article/all/20181030/92643204/1

Translation from Korean google

https://m.blog.naver.com/o2cool/222214442912

• Like 2
  • Confused 1