Han Hyo Joo 한효주 - [FIN: Happiness (2021) || NEXT: ThePirates: Goblin Flag (Jan 2022)]

bimini

class="post-title"Han Hyo Joo’s Super Awkward Subway Ride By Joanne+

On KBS 2TV’s Entertainment Weekly: Guerrilla Date, Han Hyo Joo stated that someone tried to get her number on the subway while filming in Japan.

She explained:

A man approached me and asked for my contact information thought, ‘He recognizes me’ and looked back. When the man said, ‘Phone number please…’ I asked ‘My contact information?’ He left by saying ‘I’m sorry,’”

When reporter Kim Tae Jin asked, “What if that man was really good looking and was your ideal type?” After thinking for a bit, the actress replied, “I probably could have given it (contact information),” revealing her honest charm.

Netizens who came across Han Hyo Joo’s subway hunting incident commented, “Han Hyo Joo’s appearance shines overseas as well,” “There’s no choice but to ask for contact information if it’s Han Hyo Joo,” “Han Hyo Joo is so pretty,” “Strive pretty and easy-going Han Hyo Joo,” “’Cold Eyes’ hit the jackpot.”

Also on this episode of Guerrilla Date, photos of Han Hyo Joo’s school days were shown, with her looking even more beautiful than now. Additionally, funny photos taken with actor Jung Woo Sung were revealed.

(source: nate news)

cr: blog.dramafever

class="post-title"Han Hyo Joo Promises A Gift For Viewers Of ‘Cold Eyes’ By Joanne+

Last Tuesday, Han Hyo Joo made a promised, via a live stream interview, that if her new film “exceeds five million viewers,” she’ll provide “a gift.”

She elaborated, “I will present the t-shirt I wore on SBS Good Sunday – Running Man, with my name tag on it.”

Cold Eyes follows police officers as they attempt to track down a hidden, traceless crime organization. It stars Han Hyo Joo, as well as Sul Kyung Gu, Jung Woo Sung, and Lee Joon Ho, and will be coming to theaters July 3

(source: nate news, naver)

cr: blog.dramafever

Hyo Joo helped to give out fans and beef bone soup to the elderly via the event held by Beautiful Foundation. (NB: On June 21, she donated $30,000 to Beautiful Foundation) Such a sweet angel~ :x she looks so cute with spectacles! :))
971142_518993431506462_1093481544_n.jpg1011935_518993471506458_1247636953_n.jpg1045170_518993474839791_972408999_n.jpg1000146_518993541506451_707354037_n.jpg1044375_518993524839786_404021045_n.jpgCr: Beautiful Founation facebook

Guest kaz11

An article by film critic Darcy Paquet on Cold Eyes~

Cold Eyes, and the art of casting 

Quite often our first impression of a film, before we watch it or know anything about the story, is of the cast. We see 2-4 names on a film poster, or in the title of a news article, and we form an initial impression. Some names, or combinations of names, fill us with anticipation, while others do not. 

At its most basic level, casting is the process of choosing which names will go on the poster. But good casting is a more complex art than it first appears to be. Both from an artistic point of view, and from a commercial point of view, effective casting is not just about convincing popular actors to appear in your film. It requires creativity, and a willingness to go against commonly accepted opinion. 

The new crime procedural Cold Eyes 감시자들 is a good example of effective casting. By this I don’t mean that the names on the poster are the only reason behind the film’s commercial success. I mean that the images that these actors project in the film make for an interesting contrast with their previously established star images. In other words, Cold Eyes brings out something new in the stars.
2438124751DE68CC2F725C

Up until now, Seol Gyeong-gu has been a leading actor in 24 films, Jung Woo-sung has been the lead in 19, and Han Hyo-joo has been the lead in 7 films. Moviegoers have become quite familiar with seeing them up on the big screen, not to mention in television and advertisements. Then why is it that their appearance in this film feels so fresh? 

Seol Gyung-gu is an actor who is known for his intensity. There is a fierce quality to his expression that has helped bring life to characters like the psychologically disturbed Yong-ho in Peppermint Candy, and the likable but flawed everyman Man-shik in Haeundae. But one also senses an emotional coldness in his acting, even in romantic roles like I Wish I Had a Wife and Lost in Love. This brings an interesting complexity to his characters. The role of Chief Hwang in Cold Eyes has a different quality. On the outside, he is highly professional and calculating, but in his interactions with Han Hyo-joo’s character an inner warmth and sympathy is revealed. Ultimately, this warmth is the heart of his character, which is why it’s so much more interesting to have a ‘cold’ actor like Seol Gyeong-gu play this role.
0148994951DE687821E57D

As for Jung Woo-sung, this is an actor who throughout his career has been cast in ‘good’ roles. This is not simply because he is good looking, but because he exudes warmth in his performances. It was no surprise to see him cast as ‘The Good’ in Kim Jee-woon’s The Good, the Bad, the Weird, and he was also well suited to play the caring and supportive partner in A Moment to Remember. But the character of James in Cold Eyes has ice in his heart. There is not a hint of warmth about him, and never once does Jung Woo-sung flash the smile which made him into a star. In the end, his acting skills proved to be up to the challenge of playing a very different sort of character, and the role has given new depth to his star image.
2515CF4F51DE68A3328A9F

Good casting, of course, is also about the combination of different actors in a film. In this case, it makes for a nice symmetry to have a ‘cold’ actor playing a warm character, and a ‘warm’ actor playing a cold character. And then there is Han Hyo-joo, who in some ways is the most interesting casting choice of all. 

It’s not that it was a big surprise to see her take on the role of a police detective. Less than a year ago, she played another highly trained professional (a paramedic) in Love 911. Nonetheless, there is a world of difference between the characters she played in those two films. Han Hyo-joo has almost always been cast in romantic roles, and the primary focus of those roles has been her charm and engaging personality. In Always, and also in Love 911, her characters ultimately pursue happiness and fulfillment through romantic relationships. 

But in Cold Eyes there is never even a hint of romance, even with 2PM’s Junho. Her character’s strengths are her abilities: her concentration, her phenomenal memory, her ability to remain calm under pressure, and also her fighting skills. Furthermore, her character’s personality is not projected outward, as in her previous films. Instead, she is slightly reserved and self-contained. The ironic thing is that she ends up being much more charming playing this kind of reserved personality, than she does in films where the screenplay is designed to make her as charming as possible. (This is one of the timeless truths about star power: stars are much more attractive when they are not trying to be attractive) 

At 119 minutes Cold Eyes is not short, but it kept me fascinated all the way to the end credits. This was partly because of the well structured plot (based on the Hong Kong film Eye In the Sky) and the overall quality of the direction, but it was mostly because the characters were so engaging. After watching the film, it may seem like the casting choices would be obvious. But when it was at the screenplay stage, the choices wouldn’t have been so clear. Fortunately, the filmmakers exhibited some creativity in casting, and the result is a very entertaining film. 

Darcy Paquet

http://magazine.movie.daum.net/w/magazine/read/detail.daum?thecutId=5103

~yep, i quite agree about the part on hyo joo. that's probably the reason why i still love ad-lib night(for film) and spring waltz(for drama) out of everything she's done because i think she does these introspective roles the best. eun young is your typical candy of course, however i think that there was something reserved about her grittiness lol hyo joo actually suits indie films more, i think.

Guest kaz11

Comments of Mr. Darcy Paquet on twitter:

"I finally saw 감시자들 COLD EYES, and quite enjoyed it. It's very well assembled and executed, with great casting."
"In Korean commercial cinema, there are only a few powerful producers left, but their films stand out. You feel the difference in quality."

@darcypaquet

감시자들
<감시자들> 개봉 11일만에 315만 관객 돌파!

쟁쟁한 할리우드 대작의 공세에도 불구, 뜨거운 입소문과 함께 높은 좌석점유율을 기록, <감시자들>이 315만 관객을 돌파했습니다! 여름 극장가 한국영화의 자존심 <감시자들>!! 계속해서 많은 '감시사랑' 부탁드립니다^^<감시자들>Released 11 days surpassed the 315 million viewers!

Beat Hollywood in spite of a barrage of courtiers, with high seats share a hot word of mouth, <감시자들>this was in the summer of 315 million viewers surpassed the pride of the movie theater in South Korea! <감시자들>?!?!, continue to ask for a lot of ' surveillance ' love ^ ^</감시자들> </감시자들></감시자들> (Translated by Bing)
1003144_490624264345354_875535417_n.jpg
cr to 감시자들

another review by Word from the ROK. May contain some spoilers. :) class="postitle" style="font-family: ff-market-web-1, ff-market-web-2, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-weight: 400; text-transform: uppercase; line-height: 19px;"COLD EYES (감시자들) FILM REVIEWBy chocoshrek | Word from the ROK
han-hyo-joo.jpg?w=620Left to Right: JUNG Woo-sung and Han Hyo-joo in COLD EYES

Cold Eyes (감시자들) is a South Korean remake of the 2007 Honk Kong Film Eye in The Sky. To be more precise, I should say, that it’s a slick remake. The movie really is a slick piece of film making, with great camera angles, movements and well executed editing. Much of the look of the film can be attributed to the two directors, JO Ui-seok 조의석 who directed Make It Big 일단 뛰어 and The World of Silence 조용한 세상, and KIM Byeong-seo (in his first outing in the directors seat) who was the director of photography for The Aggresives 태풍태양 and A Good Rain Knows 호우시절. If you’ve seen those films, no matter what you thought of them over all, you know they reflect the same attributes previously mentioned.

The film tells the story of a Korean Police Force surveillance team, hunting a criminal organization and it’s cold, calculating and deadly mastermind who leads a gang of roughneck thieves. In the film, the mastermind is never referred to by name but is credited at the end of the film as James (JUNG Woo-sung).

The film starts quickly, introducing the audience via a subway ride to detective HA Yoon-Joo who’s being tested on her ability to observe and memorize by her soon to be mentor, and surveillance team leader, detective Hwang. At the very same time we meet James, who’s crime organization is about to carry out a robbery under his calculated gaze and instructions. And so begins the game of cat and mouse. It’s a great opening sequence to the film, introducing all the important roles and sets the tone for the film, with detective Ha observing everything and tracking people. A key part of the story throughout is the use of CCTV. This is well established in the opening and signifies ‘thought’ behind the making of the film.

When I said the movie was slick, I mean it in the way that one would describe a ‘look’. Eye in The Sky had a roughness to it, which added to the grittiness of the story. This is kind of important when you have a cold hearted killer as your antagonist.  Cold Eyes however taps more into technology than the original ever did (though not to the extent of the world of Mission Impossible films) and with this slicker technology comes a whole new wardrobe for the cast members of Cold Eyes. I’ve never seen cops dressed so well and the same can be said of opposing characters. Outside of JUNG Woo-sung’s character, I never knew criminals had such bad dress sense or looked so damn dirty. Part of what made Eye In The Sky believable was its rougher edge. In fact I’ve never seen Seoul look so good. I know what you’re thinking, “Many films do it!”. This is true, but for me, when it’s over done, you end up taking a good chuck of believability in a film, especially when everything is too beautiful or people are too dirty. In your mind you know, the dirts “too perfect”. It affects your senses and if it doesn’t match the grit or the grime of a crime story, whats the point?

The film has a star studded cast including SOL Kyung-gu 설경구, JUNG Woo-sung 정우성, HAN Hyo-joo 한효주, LEE Joon-ho 이준호 (of 2PM), KIM Byung-ok 김병옥 and JIN Gyeong 진경. There’s also a cameo from Simon Yam who starred in 2012′s hit film The Thieves 도둑들. There are solid performances by all but I really enjoyed watching JUNG Woo-sung playing a bad guy. Being cold and heartless seems simple but there are moments where his character shows signs of cracking and its there you get to see his acting ability shine.

It’s an entertaining ride but where the film falls short is where the characters are exactly how you predict them to be. Sequences happen as you expect and much like its predecessor (Eye In The Sky) it’s far too contrived. In saying that, there are still just enough surprises and spectacular visuals to keep you entertained.

3 out of 5 ROKs 

class="tit_detail"‘Cold Eyes’ shows the movie behind scenes..”Great team play”

20130712000719_0_59_20130712145904.jpg

Movie ‘Cold Eyes’ showed their team play site by presenting the behind scenes.

In July 12th, the photos of ‘Cold Eyes’ included Seol Kyung Goo, Jeong Woo Seong, Han Hyo Joo, and Lee Jun Ho. They displayed different personalities other than their movie characters, which caught people’s eyes.

Firstly, Han Hyo Joo and Seol Kyung Goo in reality showed friendly atmosphere even though the movie showed some mere conflicts of the two.

201307120823591110_1.jpg

Also, rather than the serious realtionship of police Han Hyo Joo and criminal Jeong Woo Seong, they always joked with each other. This showed the strong connection, and the cooperation between the actors.

Rookie 2PM Lee Jun Ho sometimes was very delightful but other times was very serious with the movie which made the people in movie site feel his enthousiasm.

Meanwhile, ‘Cold Eyes’ is having successful run as they are continuing their box office hit even though the Hollywood Blockbuster movie was released.

cr : kofan