Lee Jung Jin 이정진

Admin

img_565051_23968736_0.jpg

JJ gave a signed to fan at Venice.

img_565051_23952582_0.jpg

img_565051_23948082_2.jpg

5 Oct 2012 at BIFF Village, Haeundae Busan, Lee Jung Jin and Cho Min Soo protagonist of the "Pieta" movie to visit (BIFF) 'APAN Star Road' 17th Pusan ​​International Film Festival. As a world star, Lee Jung Jin and Cho Min Soo, who appeared in the "Pieta" Golden Lion award-winning film Venice International Film Festival has received treatment in the Pusan ​​International Film Festival this time. Moreover, it is also preparing a special event for the director Kim Ki Duk "Pieta" Busan International Film Festival Executive Committee.
(google translated)

img_565051_23952582_1.jpg

all photo via : takajungjin

----

Lee Jung Jin Reveals Bae Yong Jun Is The Champion of the Ani Pang Mobile Phone Game

He’s a major hallyu star, actor, entrepreneur and CEO, but it seems Bae Yong Jun also holds the title of ‘champion’ for a certain mobile phone game.

During an open talk on October 12 at the Busan International Film Festival (BIFF) for his prize-winning movie, Pieta, actor Lee Jung Jin was asked by one of the reporters if he also partakes in the currently mega-popular mobile online game, Ani Pang- a puzzle-like online game connected to the smartphone message service, Kakao Talk.

48398365.jpg

Lee Jung Jin then revealed he didn’t play the game but he was able to see the scores of others. He then shared, “Among my friends, Bae Yong Jun is first. He has a score of over 200,000.”

53721014.jpg

Netizens commented, “I can’t imagine the Bae Yong Jun playing Ani Pang”, “What an interesting hobby” and “I could have never guessed.”

Photo Credit: Online community / enewsworld

class="h1_content_viewTitle"Project K brings Korean films to Frankfurt

This past weekend saw Korean films break new ground in the heart of Germany.

Films by major directors like Kim Ki-duk (Pieta), Bong Joon-ho (Mother), and Park Chan-wook (Oldboy), were the main event at the first ever Project K Korean Film Festival held in Frankfurt from October 12 to 14.

Organized jointly by the Department of Korean Studies at the Goethe University Frankfurt, the Consulate General of the Republic of Korea in Germany, and members of the Korean-German Network (KGN), a cultural society for second-generation Koreans in Germany and other local youths interested in Korean culture, Project K screened a total of 19 films at Goethe University’s Bockenheim campus.

Korean films Architecture 101 (left) and Always (right) had their first German premieres during the Project K Korean Film Festival, which took place in Frankfurt from October 12 to 14 (photos: Newswire).Korean films Architecture 101 (left) and Always (right) had their first German premieres during the Project K Korean Film Festival, which took place in Frankfurt from October 12 to 14 (photos: Newswire).

Among the selections were several films that had never before been screened in Germany, including this year’s popular nostalgic romance film Architecture 101, 2011 Busan International Film Festival opener Always, and the internationally acclaimed 2009 drama Breathless.

Also, in celebration of director Kim Ki-duk’s having received the Douglas Sirk Award for lifetime achievement at the Hamburg Film Festival earlier this month, in addition to his earlier win at the Venice Film Festival, his film Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter… and Spring was screened for free on Project K’s opening night. Multiple showings of Kim’s lauded Pieta were also held throughout the festival.

Internationally acclaimed 2009 drama Breathless and 2012 Venice Film Festival prizewinner Pieta (right), were among the Korean films featured at the Project K Korean Film Festival in Frankfurt, Germany (photos: Newswire).Internationally acclaimed 2009 drama Breathless and 2012 Venice Film Festival prizewinner Pieta (right), were among the Korean films featured at the Project K Korean Film Festival in Frankfurt, Germany (photos: Newswire).

As Project K was designed as a platform to not only promote Korean movies but also raise greater awareness of Korean culture, this year’s festival also provided visitors with opportunities to try on Hanbok (traditional Korean dress), make Hanji (traditional Korean paper) crafts, participate in a traditional Korean tea ceremony, and learn simple Hangeul calligraphy. A Hansik (Korean food) stand offered dishes such as bibimbap (rice mixed with vegetables, meat, and pepper paste) and bulgogi (marinated beef) for curious gourmands.

The first annual Project K Korean Film Festival screened a total of 19 films in Frankfurt, Germany from October 12 to 14 (photo courtesy of the Consulate General of the Republic of Korea in Germany).

The first annual Project K Korean Film Festival screened a total of 19 films in Frankfurt, Germany from October 12 to 14 (photo courtesy of the Consulate General of the Republic of Korea in Germany).

Additional programs included an underground Korean noraebang (karaoke lounge) set up in the basement of the festival venue, where fans of Korean music were free to try their hand at everything from PSY’s “Gangnam Style” to older K-pop classics. With K-pop enjoying growing popularity among German youths, Frankfurt’s first “K-Pop Party” was held in conjunction with the film festival on Saturday, October 13 at Student’s House, a two-floor student activities center on the Bockenheim Campus. DJ Seiji from Paris provided the night’s beats with a unique mix of K-pop and urban club music.

“Project K was made possible through an active partnership with a growing network of young people in Germany who are interested in Korean culture,” said a spokesman for the Consulate General of the Republic of Korea in Germany. “We look forward to seeing Project K bring about more opportunities for Korean-German cultural exchange.”

In addition to being one of Europe’s main financial centers, the city of Frankfurt has been receiving attention in recent years as a site for lively cultural exchange. Nippon Connection, a Japanese Film Festival, has attracted tens of thousands of visitors annually since being held in Frankfurt for the first time in 2000. This year saw Frankfurt host its first China-in-Motion Chinese Film Festival. With the successful run of the first annual Project K, festival organizers anticipate that Korean films will find a greater following in Germany as well as the greater European region.

All proceeds from this year’s festival, including sales from admission, will go to financing future festivals. More information can be found at the official website of Project K: http://www.project-k-frankfurt.de/index.php (German only).

By Kwon Jungyun
Korea.net Staff Writer

credit : korea.net

PIETA Wins a Triple CrownKAFC Announces winners of KAFC Awards
by Jang Sung-ran KOFIC
Kim Ki-duk’s Pieta, the winner of the Golden Lion at the Venice Film Festival once again enjoyed the top position by receiving 3 awards at the 32nd Korean Association of Film Critics awards (KAFC Awards) hosted by the Korean Association of Film Critics (KAFC). The association decided to give the Best Picture award to Pieta, the Best Director award to KIM and the Best Actress award to Cho Min-su. The Best Actor award went to Ahn Sung-ki of Unbowed and Kim Sung-kyun of The Neighbor and Kim Go-eun of Eungyo were chosen as the Best New Actor and the Best New Actress respectively. The Best New Directors of the year are Shin Aha-ka and Lee Sang-cheol, who directed Jesus Hospital together. Yoon Jong-bin, who wrote and directed Nameless Gangster : Rules of the Time, took the Best Screenplay award home.
The Thieves, the best Korean box office hit in 2012, won the Best Cinematography award (Choi Yeong-hwan) and Masquerade won the Best Technique award (Oh Heung-seok). The owner of the Best Music award was Lee Ji-su, the music director of Architecture 101, the biggest hit among Korean melodrama films of all time. The awards presentation of the KAFC Awards will be emceed by Ahn Sung-ki as the MC at the international conference hall of the Korean Press Center at Gwanghwamun on November 7th.
October 18, 2012
'Pieta', this year's best movie by film critics
Source: Innolife Korea
‘Pieta’ of director Kim Ki-Deok was chosen as the best movie of this year by Korean film critics.
According to an announcement of Korean Film Critics Association on 17th, the movie ‘Pieta’ was rewarded with Best Actress, Best Director and Best Film awards at the 32nd Yeong-Pyeong Awards. The movie got the honor of being the best movie by local film critics after being rewarded ‘Leone d'Oro’ at Venice Film Festival.
Best Actor Award was given to Ahn Seong-Gi of ‘Unbowed’ and Cho Min-Su of ‘Pieta’, and New Actor Award was given to Kim Seong-Kyun of ‘Neighbors’ and Kim Ko-Eun of ‘Eun-Gyo’. Director Shin Ah-Ga and Lee Sang-Cheol of ‘Jesus Hospital’ were rewarded together of New Director Award. 
The 32nd Yeong-Pyeong Awards is going to be proceed by Ahn Seong-Gi’s moderation at International Conference Hall at Press Center in Seoul on November 17.

via : rubie soompi

------

2012.10.30: The 49th Daejong (Grand Bell) Film Awards 2012

Source: Official 49th Daejong Website l Nate ++ l Movist.com l wikipedia
Related soompi thread HERE
List credited to Asianwiki.com
Event: Daejong Film Awards (Grand Bell Awards)Korean: 대종상영화제Edition: 49thPresented By: Ministry of Culture and InformationDate: October 30, 2012Location: Seoul, South Korea
Best Film Nominees:"Pieta""Eungyo""Silenced""Masquerade""Unbowed"
Best Director Nominees:Lee Yong-Ju ("Architecture 101")Kim Ki-Duk ("Pieta")Choi Dong-Hun ("The Thieves")Choo Chang-Min ("Masquerade")Chung Ji-Young ("Unbowed")
Best Actor Nominees:Choi Min-Sik ("Nameless Gangster")Kim Myung-Min ("Pacemaker")Hwang Jung-Min ("Dancing Queen")Lee Byung-Hun ("Masquerade")Ahn Sung-Ki ("Unbowed")
Best Actress Nominees:Jo Min-Su ("Pieta")Kim Ko-Eun ("Eungyo")Uhm Jung-Hwa ("Dancing Queen")Hwang Jung-Min ("Jesus Hospital")Lim Soo-Jung ("All About My Wife")
Best Supporting Actor Nominees:Jo Jung-Suk ("Architecture 101")Kim Sung-Kyun ("Nameless Gangster")Ryoo Seung-Ryong ("All About My Wife")Yu Jun-Sang ("In Another Country")Ryoo Seung-Ryong ("Masquerade")
Best Supporting Actress Nominees:Kang Eun-Jin ("Pieta")Kim Hyun-Soo ("Silenced")Ra Mi-Ran ("Dancing Queen")Moon Jung-Hee ("Deranged")Kim Hae-Suk ("The Thieves")
Best New Actor Nominees:Jo Jung-Suk ("Architecture 101")Kim Sung-Kyun ("Nameless Gangster")Kim Sung-Kyun ("The Neighbors")Woo Ki-Hong ("Pieta")Daniel Choi ("Traffickers")
Best New Actress Nominees:Bae Suzy ("Architecture 101")Go Ara ("Pacemaker")Yoo Hae-Jung ("Lovable")Kang Eun-Jin ("Pieta")Kim Ko-Eun ("Eungyo")
Best New Director Nominees:Kim Dal-Jung ("Pacemaker")Shin A-Ga & Lee Sang-Cheol ("Jesus Hospital")Kim Joo-Ho ("The Grand Heist")Kim Hong-Sun ("Traffickers")Choi Jong-Tae ("Hand in Hand")

via : rubie soompi

[interview] Lee Jung Jin on the Golden Lion Award and ′Pieta′

"It feels great. It′s a film with a small budget, but it′s won the Golden Lion Award and it′s also really successful. It′s like a dream come true."

Lee Jung Jin′s face shone with happiness. His most recent film, director Kim Ki Duk′s Pieta, won the Golden Lion Award at the 69th Venice Film Festival. The award is the highest honor given a Korean film out of the many awards Korean films have received in the world′s three biggest film festivals, the Cannes, Berlin and Venice Festivals. No other Korean film has won the grand prize at these film festivals, but this one low-budget film, produced with just 150 million won in just one month with just 12 shoots, won the Golden Lion Award at the Venice Film Festival.

In the middle of all that was Lee Jung Jin.

17812002.jpg

"I still feel numb. When I walk the streets these days I′m congratulated a lot. It especially feels weird when people acknowledge my hard work. It sounds like something you would tell a national athlete. I′m happy that more people recognize that I′ve been to Venice with the Korean film Pieta. The Master, a big rival, scored with many awards, but we got the winning trophy. It′s great."

Lee Jung Jin first started off on his career with the drama Bloody Beach. It seems he would′ve won many awards in his 10 year career, but he′s actually never received even one. His first award was the grand slam, the Golden Lion Award.

"I was never even nominated for an award at movie award ceremonies. That′s why it feels more like a dream. I never knew a day like this would come."

Because he had never received any awards, he never thought he would be getting one in Venice either. Of course he thought again and again inside that it would be great to win one, but he didn′t think Europeans would cast their votes for a little film from Asia. The Master was also pretty popular among the locals. One of the reasons he went to Paris after the official screenings wrapped up was because he was afraid the film wouldn′t make it in the giant international ceremony. He wasn′t able to be there when his movie won the award.

"I knew it′s not easy to receive an award, so that′s why I went to Paris. I hoped we would win, but it was hard for me to answer when I was asked whether I thought they would pick us. It was also impossible for me to stay in Venice any longer even if I wanted to. I had to check out of the hotel the festival coordinators had provided us, and even though I wanted to move to another hotel, there were no rooms free. Since my plane stopped in Paris, I just stayed there. It was my first time in Italy, and it was also my first time in Paris. On the day of the ceremony I received a call telling me I should be there. I looked far and wide for ways to go back to Venice, but there were none. I would′ve asked for help if I knew anyone in Paris or Venice, but there was no one."

He was sorry not only because he couldn′t be at the ceremony, but also because he couldn′t meet the many big actors there. Because they had all set up their schedules for their own film screenings, Lee Jung Jin never got to meet a single one.

"At the Busan International Film Festival, actors get together and drink together, and they also meet while they′re moving around. I thought there would be a gathering or a party, but there was nothing. Everyone just came and went, so I didn′t get to meet anyone. I had people who asked for my autograph, though. I was wearing a training suit but they still recognized me."

17812004.jpg

It was his first award for a movie in his life, and on top of that it was the Golden Lion Award. Of course he felt sad he couldn′t be there.

He said, "I was especially sad because director Kim Ki Duk, Cho Min Soo sunbaenim (senior) and I had completed the film through a difficult process."

For Lee Jung Jin, his appearing in a piece by director Kim Ki Duk was an adventure in itself. In the biggest moment when that adventure and the challenge he had taken up bloomed, he wasn′t able to be there.

"Since I′m an actor, I always felt I wanted to be in a piece by director Kim Ki Duk, like an unrequited love. The opportunity came so unexpectedly. I starred in the romantic comedy Wonderful Radio before Pieta, and after that film, I got many scenarios similar to that piece. A lot of people became curious why I chose to work with director Kim Ki Duk after that. On top of that, my role was an evil bond collector. Still, I just didn′t want to miss the chance. In the film No Doubt I appeared as a pedophile. Films like No Doubt and Pieta are films that are needed in the Korean Box Office. I had to choose it as a filmmaker living this age."

Lee Jung Jin was brought up like any other boy in a normal family in Seoul. This normal man chose to star in a Kim Ki Duk piece, which are usually called hurricanes of films, as an evil bond collector.

"There was dialogue I had never even imagined of saying. Of course I didn′t understand it all. I received the completed scenario ten days before shooting commenced, and started preparing eight days before my first shoot. I lost weight, too, and I met the director two times before filming. It took us just 12 shoots and one month to finish shooting; how do you think I would′ve understood the main character in full?"

The shoots were short, the budget was small with 150 million won and the actors participated on a running guarantee. The film produced in this manner was the one that became an important piece that rewrote Korean film history.

The press, which had been quiet when the film left for Venice, suddenly boiled over when it returned. As soon as he returned from the film festival, director Kim Ki Duk complained at the press roundtable about the oligopoly in the film market and how the interest of the press was swayed toward that oligopoly.

"There were about four reporters at the airport when we left for Venice, but when we returned, there were dozens. We held an interview with the newsroom, too. I do understand the problems the director pointed out, but I believe they′re like growth pains that lead us toward something better. I don′t want to criticize everyone, but I do hope things get better after Pieta. The film The Weight won the Queer Lion Award, but no one talks about that one; they all talk about Pieta. I know it′s because it′s received such a great award, but I hope everyone will show interest in the other films too."

17812006.jpg

Lee Jung Jin said about his future plans, "I plan to meet my fans through another good piece. I have one I′ll start shooting next year."

There are no plans yet to go overseas. "It′s not something that happens just because I want it to," he said with a smile.

"I will when I get the chance. I want to appear in a piece from overseas if it has a good scenario. The problem is the language. I can speak some English, so I don′t know how it′ll be."

After a record of no awards, Lee Jung Jin finally topped his 12 year career with the Golden Lion Award. He teaches us that like his drama 9 End 2 Outs, people need to view life in the long run. Who would′ve known that an actor who had never won any awards at all would star in a film that will be down in the books forever?

Photo credit: Hea Jung Min / enewsworld

Posted Image

Posted Image

On Monday, October 22, at Ireland Golf Yard in Deboo Island, Ansan,
there held a 'Y.E.yang Green Concert for Africa LEE&CHARD school' 

between Y.E.Yang, a pro-golfer 
and his friend Lee Soon Chul who is a singer. 
In this charity competition Lee Jung Jin participated 
and smiled viewing green before his tee shot.

via : http://sports.news.n.../20121022n23457
& takajungjin blog 

noknok said:

On Monday, October 22, at Ireland Golf Yard in Deboo Island, Ansan,
there held a 'Y.E.yang Green Concert for Africa LEE&CHARD school' 

between Y.E.Yang, a pro-golfer 
and his friend Lee Soon Chul who is a singer. 
In this charity competition Lee Jung Jin participated 
and smiled viewing green before his tee shot.

via : http://sports.news.n.../20121022n23457
& takajungjin blog 

'Pieta' will get a look from the AFI

In a bid to make it onto the short list at the next Academy Awards, Kim Ki-duk has taken to promoting his Golden Lion prize-winning film “Pieta” in the United States. The renowned Korean flick that won the coveted prize at this year’s Venice Film Festival will be screened at the American Film Institute’s annual festival, which will start tomorrow.

Placed under the World Cinema category, “Pieta” will be screened three times during the week-long event taking place in Hollywood.

According to the Korean Film Council, by increasing awareness through the film fest, Kim is hoping to land on the nomination list for next year’s Academy Awards.

During the red carpet event, Kim will spend time talking with American audiences about his movie.

On Saturday, Kim will also attend a special screening of his works to be held at The Cinefamily Theater in Los Angeles.

As well as showing three of his most-loved films from Saturday to Monday, he will take part in an interview session.

By Carla Sunwoo

credit : JoongAngDaily

Kim Ki-duk's "Pieta" Launches U.S. Promotion

2012103017230088419_4.jpg
Actor Lee Jung-jin (left) and actress Cho Min-soo (right) receive warm welcome during the 17th Busan International Film Festival opening ceremony at the Busan Cinema Center in Busan, South Korea, on October 4, 2012. [Lee Jin-hyuk/10Asia]

Korean auteur Kim Ki-duk’s bleak morality pic is hitting the U.S. theaters soon.0

“Pieta,” Kim’s 18th movie following a heartless man played by Lee Jung-jin, is opening in North American theaters starting with the Grauman's Chinese Theatre in Los Angeles on November 2, according to Korean Film Council [KOFIC].

The film's U.S. debut is being made during the AFI FEST 2012, and Kim will attend several sub-events including red carpet ceremony and a talk session where he can share thoughts about “Pieta” with the audiences, the officials explained.

On November 5, the director will take the controversial movie to Oscar nominations screening at an event to be hosted by TheWrap.com at the Landmark Theater in Westwood.

Set to vie for the Oscar nomination at the 85th Academy Awards, "Pieta" goes around the story of a cruel loan shark [played by Lee Jung-jin] changing gradually after running into a mysterious woman who claims to be his mother [played by Cho Min-soo].

The movie won the Golden Lion award for the best picture at the 69th Venice International Film Festival awards ceremony held in Venice, Italy on September 8.

credit : 10Asia

class="title"Wonderful Radio and Why I Dislike K-dramas

20121104_seoulbeats_wonderful_radio-210x

Wonderful Radio is a 2012 romantic movie starring Lee Min-jung and Lee Jung-jin about an ex-girl group member and her radio show. Due to low ratings, female lead Shin Jin-ah’s show needs a boost and Lee Jae-hyeok is sent there to help her figure things out. Jae-hyeok’s grumpy, ice-cold personality and Jin-ah’s bad temper clash in the studio; which, needless to say, means that they’ll grow fond of each other. In so many ways, Wonderful Radio attempts to be a 2-hour long K-drama, compressing multiple plotlines into one single movie.

Spoilers ahead.

Wonderful Radio features the crazy princess with a big heart and a complicated family background. Jin-ah was a former member of Purple, the it-group of its time, which disbanded because of her. Later though, we find out she sacrificed her career for the sake of her best friend. Her love interest is a cold guy who acts like a cool, know-it-all dude from the beginning, but shows a more sensitive side. There’s also a secondary character, her manager, Dae-geun, who’s in love with her, and the arrogant lady, Mi-ra, who tries to take away everything she has. Sound familiar?

As a non-avid drama watcher and someone who bonds deeply with the fast-forward button when she happens to become interested in one, Wonderful Radio was a confirmation of all the aspects that prevent me from enjoying K-dramas. So to get things out of my system, here is a list of my problems with dramas and this movie:

1. No matter what Pantene ads tell you, full and thick is not always the best formula.

The movie has a handful of plots that entwine and ultimately lead nowhere. You have the manager, who was a fan of Purple, being too afraid to show his feelings for Jin-ah, but then he pairs up with Nan-sol. This story, though, never reaches a real conclusion. Two people come to sing for the radio show and we get to know their story — which again, leads nowhere. Another story line — one that is perhaps more worthy of attention — is the disbandment of Purple. In-seok finds her father beating his wife and tries to stop him, but accidentally kills him in the process. This topic had a lot of potential, but it patters out very quickly.

Most of K-dramas suffer from the same syndrome, with the exception that they have more time to thoroughly develop otherwise useless plots: a pretext to make the characters come together, some other people to buzz around them and enough pitiful events to fill the episodes. In this case, all these plots prevent the movie from evolving. The main stories are terribly constructed and it leaves you with no impression whatsoever. I can’t say I felt for Jin-ah and all her conflicting emotions. To compensate for the lacking sub-plots, the situations were over-dramatized and the characters tried so hard to convince us of their feelings, 20121104_seoulbeats_lee_min_jung-e135205but the effect was the reverse: I didn’t feel a thing. Which leads me to my next point:

2. Shake things up a bit!

Stereotypes and repetitiveness are, to me, the core of all problems in K-dramas. What proves bothersome is not necessarily a type of character, a situation or a set of moral values that irritate the watcher, but the fact they have very little variations. The apparent richard simmons with a soft heart? The innocent, self-sacrificing girl? Criticizing vanity or conceit by vilifying the second female lead? The friendzoned guy who never stood a chance? Purity, naivety, selflessness and pity as values? How many times can you use these things?

3. “Tearjerker” is not a legitimate movie genre

I don’t consider pity to be a value. Compassion or empathy, perhaps, but not pity. So when Jin-ah came with her unresolved father issue, I was almost prepared to roll my eyes. These movies or dramas need to stop relying so much on the audience pitying the characters. Flashbacks from past tragedies don’t justify one’s diva-esque behavior in the present. It adds the illusion of depth, but it ultimately fails to be as complex or as profound as the producers want it to be. I feel like neither this movie nor dramas play enough with the actual personality of a character, or with the quality rather than the quantity of events they have gone through. Plus, making a scene with Titanic-type music where the characters cry rivers cheapens the overall quality of the drama and it’s that type of second-hand sentimentalism that’s just too hard to digest.

4. How exactly do people build relationships without communication?

Girl likes boy and boy likes girl — one shows it and one doesn’t. Then, fast forward five episodes and they’ve already established this deep connection where they have each other’s backs, though they haven’t spoken much all throughout. They have some weird unspoken policies where breathing the same air is enough for the two to become infatuated with each other. Getting locked in a room in various situations or at the workplace somehow ends up in them talking about their dysfunctional families or about that car accident. A minute after, they’d be willing to sell their souls to the devil for the sake of the other.

Granted, some of the dramas make this process more believable than others, with funny situations or more time spent with one another. But there’s no real scene or episode that smooths things from “I barely know you” to “I should leave my job and family because of you.”

It’s not to be said all K-dramas are the same, but there’s a huge chunk of them that follow the above rules. Likewise, the target audience of Wonderful Radio are K-drama fans. You can see clearly how they follow the exact structure, the cliche plots and even the same characters. However, it has some redeeming qualities: Mi-ra is not as bad as other second female characters, wrist-grabbing is almost absent, there seems to be more bonding between female characters, the relationship is somewhat sweet and Jae-hyeok is a normal guy. Plus, Boohwal‘s Kim Tae-won has a cameo, which is enough to make the movie worth watching. As for myself, I give it a rating of 1.5/5.

So what do you think? What do you think of movies like this and K-dramas? What have been your K-drama pet peeves?

(tistory, Nate) / seoulbeats

Government Honors Celebrities, Artists

120910_kw_03.jpg

Noted personalities in the arts and entertainment industry will be honored for their contributions to the advancement of Korean popular culture.

President Lee Myung-bak chaired a Cabinet meeting Tuesday and decided to award Orders of Cultural Merits to film director Kim Ki-duk, screenwriter Kim Su-hyeon, actress Jo Min-su, actor Lee Jeong-jin and singer PSY.

The film "Pietà," directed by Kim and starring Jo and Lee, won the top prize at this year's Venice International Film Festival, the Golden Lion award.

PSY's runaway hit single "Gangnam Style" has stirred up a global sensation, and writer Kim Su-hyeon has been the force behind numerous hit TV drama series.

credit : KBS Global

“Pieta” Honored with 4 Trophies from Korean Association of Film Critics

2012110810183463193_2.jpg
Official poster of Kim Ki-duk's film "Pieta" featuring actress Cho Min-soo (center), donned in a white gown and a veil, and actor Lee Jung-jin lying on her knee. [NEW]

Korean director Kim Ki-duk is cementing its world-wide fame earned after receiving the Golden Lion award at the 69th Venice International Film Festival. 0

Kim's 18th film “Pieta” has received four honors from the Korean Association of Film Critics [KAFC] at the 32nd awards ceremony held at the Korea Press Center in Seoul last evening.

The cruel morality film was chosen for Best Film, Best Director, Best Actress and FIPRESCI Korea Award, a prize given to the International film critics.

Korean heartthrob Lee Byung-hun’s first historic pic “Masquerade,” which scored 15 awards at the 49th Daejong Film Awards last week, received only one at the ceremony after being recognized as Best Art.

Veteran actor Ahn Seong-gi, the host of the ceremony, won Best Actor trophy for “Unbowed” and just like the Daejong, the honor of Rookie Actor and Rookie Actress went to “My Neighbor” star Kim Sun-Kyun and “Eungyo” starlet Kim Go-eun.

Established in 1980, 87 KAFC members of the Korean Association of Film Critics Awards select the best film and actors every year.

• 2 weeks later...

November 19, 2012

The Best Picture and Stars to be Unveiled

33th Blue Dragon Awards nominees announced

HEyqELOlBoMzkqkThVos.jpg

33th Blue Dragon Awards being held on Nov.30 at Sejon Cultural Center announced this year’s nominees. The executives of Blue Dragon Awards said “we have chosen top 21 nominees and they were selected by renowned film experts through a number of surveys and on-line votes from the netizens.”   The films to be focused on are Masquerade and Nameless Gangster: Rules of the Time. Masquerade is nominated for the best picture award, best director award(CHOO Chang-min), best actor (LEE Byung-hun), supporting role (JANG Gwang) award, marked as the most nominated film. Nameless Gangster: Rules of the Time is also nominated for the best picture, director (YOON Jong-bin), actor (CHOI Min-shik) supporting role (KWAK Do-won), a tie record with Masquerade.   The Thieves which was the biggest hit this year, got nominated for 8 sections, including best film, and director (CHOI Dong-hoon), Architecture 101 got 8 nominations including Rookie of the year awards for both actor (CHO Jung-suk) and actress (BAE Suji). All About My wife got 6 in including Leading actress (LIM Soo-jung) and Eungyo for 5 nominations including Rookie of the year for the actress (KIM Go-eun). Meanwhile KIM Ki-duk’s Pieta gets nominated for 3 awards including best picture, director and leading actress (CHO Min-soo). With very competitive nominees this year, the results are to draw people’s attention.

credit : kobiz

[PHOTO] Venice-winning Film "Pieta" Director, Stars Receive Cultural Merit Honor from Korea Government

2012111914380763315_1.jpg
Auteur Kim Ki-duk (left), actress Cho Min-soo (center) and actor Lee Jung-jin (right) pose together during the red carpet at the 2012 Popular Culture & Art Awards in Seoul, South Korea, on November 19, 2012. [brandon Chae/10Asia]

2012111914380763315_2.jpg
Director Kim Ki-duk poses as he arrives at the 2012 Popular Culture & Art Awards in Seoul, South Korea, on November 19, 2012. [brandon Chae/10Asia]

2012111914380763315_3.jpg
Actor Lee Jung-jin poses as he arrives at the 2012 Popular Culture & Art Awards in Seoul, South Korea, on November 19, 2012. [brandon Chae/10Asia]

2012111914380763315_4.jpg
Actress Cho Min-soo poses as she arrives at the 2012 Popular Culture & Art Awards in Seoul, South Korea, on November 19, 2012. [brandon Chae/10Asia]

2012111914380763315_5.jpg
Director Kim Ki-duk (left), actress Cho Min-soo (center) and actor Lee Jung-jin (right) each receive the cultural merit honor from Korea Government at the 2012 Popular Culture & Art Awards in Seoul, South Korea, on November 19, 2012. [brandon Chae/10Asia]