Lee Jung Jin 이정진

Admin

Kim Ki-duk's Pieta sees strong overseas sales

SEOUL, Sept. 20 (Yonhap) -- South Korean director Kim Ki-duk's new film "Pieta" has achieved many significant sales deals since its Golden Lion win at the Venice International Film Festival early this month, according to the film's sales agency.

Pieta's sales agency Finecut said on Thursday that it signed four deals to distribute the movie to foreign countries after receiving multiple bids for the rights during the recently closed Toronto International Film Festival.

AEN20120920007900315_01_i.jpg

The deals are in addition to previously announced sales to some 20 locations, including Russia, Norway, Turkey, Hong Kong and Greece, according to the agency.

After a heated competition, France's Pretty Pictures won the rights to distribute Pieta in French-speaking European regions, the agency said.

Pretty Pictures was the local distributor of Kim's previous films "Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring," and "3-Iron."

Other post-Toronto deals included one with King Records for Japan, with Aerofilms for the Czech and Slovak republics and with California Filmes for Brazil. This year's Toronto festival was held from Sept. 6-16.

More contracts will follow since negotiations with buyers from the United States, Britain, Australia, Israel, Poland, Portugal, Singapore, Taiwan, Sweden and several other countries are under way, the sales agency said.

Released on Sept. 6 in local theaters, Pieta has attracted more than 400,000 moviegoers as of Wednesday, after passing the break-even point on its 10th day after opening.

sshim@yna.co.kr
(END)

credit : Yonhap News

September 24, 2012

class="art_title"'Pieta' Gains Momentum at Box Office After Venice Award

Director Kim Ki-duk's "Pieta," which won the best film award at this year's Venice Film Festival, is about to hit the 500,000 mark in terms of the number of viewers it has attracted.

Due to its relatively low production cost of W850 million (US$1=W1,119), the movie's producers already broke even when the audience hit 300,000.

According to the Korean Film Council, since its release on Sept. 6, the movie had attracted 483,123 people as of Saturday. It also drew 27,371 viewers that day alone to rank fifth in the daily box office charts, despite it only having a limited release at local theaters.

On the daily chart, "Masquerade" starring Lee Byung-hun took the No. 1 spot on Saturday, followed by "The Spy," which hit the theaters on Thursday. "Masquerade" has drawn some 2.8 million viewers in just over a week since its release.

englishnews@chosun.com / Sep. 24, 2012 10:57 KST

credit : Chosun Ilbo

September 24, 2012

Kim Ki-duk to close screening of 'Pieta' as audience tops 500,000

SEOUL, Sept. 24 (Yonhap) -- South Korean director Kim Ki-duk said on Monday he will finish screening his internationally acclaimed film "Pieta" in South Korea by early next month to give more opportunities to other low-budget films as it has already drawn a large audience.

"My infinitely dismal film 'Pieta' topped the 500,000 mark in audience members last weekend," Kim said in an open letter sent through the film's local promotion company to his fans.

"For me, the movie is as successful as a movie that obtained more than 5 million viewers," he said, expressing thanks to those who came to see his latest work.

The break-even point of the low-budget art house film about a ruthless young debt collector who is visited by a mysterious woman who claims to be his long-lost mother was 250,000, according to the director. For commercial films, a movie with ticket sales of 4 million is considered a box office success in the country.

The audience figure for "Pieta" jumped by more than three times after it won the Golden Lion Award for best film at the Venice International Film Festival early this month.

Kim said the fact that so many people from different age groups watched his movie even though it is not a commercial film means a lot.

The director-writer then vowed to finish screening the movie at all movie theaters in the country on Oct. 3, the fourth week since opening, through discussions with its distributor, to allow other low-budget films to be shown.

"I sincerely hope other small films will get chances to be screened in place of mine," Kim added.

sshim@yna.co.kr
(END)

credit : Yonhap News

September 25, 2012

Kim Ki-duk to cut ‘Pieta’ run short

As his award-winning movie “Pieta” reaches 500,000 in ticket sales, director Kim Ki-duk has vowed to pull the movie from cinemas on Oct. 3.

Kim said that as a staunch promoter of independent, homegrown talent, he will forego any more profit generated by his movie.

“Foremost, thank you so much to the Korean public for watching a movie that is neither a blockbuster nor an entertaining comedy,” said Kim through his movie’s distributor.

“One thing I always envied about the film scene abroad was that movie patrons aged from their 20s to 70s could watch the same genre and then discuss it together, and it seems like ‘Pieta’ has achieved just that.”

The winner of this year’s Golden Lion at the Venice Film Festival said that 500,000 “felt the same as hitting the five-million mark.”

“There are countless films out there that won’t get a chance to screen due to politics at multiplex theater chains,” explained Kim. “In a bid to give other visionaries a chance, ‘Pieta’ will no longer be at theaters.”

By Carla Sunwoo

credit : JoongAngDaily

Now showing

Brave

King Fergus’s (Billy Connolly) red-haired daughter is determined to find her own way in life, but ends up bringing chaos to the kingdom. She must discover true bravery in order to undo a curse. Directed by Brenda Chapman. Runs 102 minutes. In English with Korean subtitles.

09281302.jpgTaken 2

Bryan Mills (Liam Neeson), a former CIA agent, and his wife are taken hostage by the father of a kidnapper Mills killed while rescuing his daughter. Directed by Olivier Megaton. Runs 92 minutes. In English with Korean subtitles.

09281303.jpgMasquerade

A film based on the popular fable, “The Prince and The Pauper,” when King Gwanghae (Lee Byung-hun) realizes that people are trying to take his life, he searches for a replacement who is similar to himself, in order to survive. Directed by Choo Chang-min. Runs 131 minutes. In Korean.

09281304.jpgTed

A teddy bear comes to life as a result of John Bennet’s (Mark Wahlberg) childhood wish. The bear refuses to leave John alone. Directed by Seth MacFarlane. Runs 106 minutes. In English with Korean subtitles.

09281305.jpgPieta

An evil man (Lee Jeong-jin) was raised as an orphan and works for a violent loan shark. With the appearance of a mysterious woman (Cho Min-soo) claiming to be his mother, cruel secrets about their relationship are disclosed. Directed by Kim Ki-duk. Runs 104 minutes. In Korean.

09281306.jpgResident Evil: Retribution

Alice (Mila Jovovich) lives an ordinary life until she finds out that all her memories are implanted. Alice is called again, as the human race is put to danger due to deadly T-virus that creates the undead. Directed by Paul W.S Anderson. Runs 95 minutes. In English with Korean subtitles.

09281307.jpgThe Bourne Legacy

In the fourth installment of the Bourne series, “The Bourne Legacy,” another special agent (Jeremy Renner) is chased by the same agency that created Jason Bourne. Directed by Tony Gilroy. Runs 135 minutes. Rated 15 and over. In English with Korean subtitles.

credit : Korea Times

Box Office Rankings

Domestic

1. Masquerade

2. Spy

3. Resident Evil: Retribution (U.S.A)

4. Ted (U.S.A)

5. Pieta

United States

1. End of Watch

2. House at the End of the Street

3. Trouble with the Curve

4. Finding Nemo 3D

5. Resident Evil: Retribution

credit : Korea Times

view_bottom.gif

[PHOTO]BIFF: Movie Stars Bring Red Hot Alert to Busan

(skipped unrelated.....)

2012100511071915194_3.jpg
"Pieta" actor Lee Jung-jin (left) and actress Cho Min-soo show big smiles in a light grey tux and a chiffon dress at the 17th Busan International Film Festival's red carpet ceremony held at the Busan Cinema Center in Busan, South Korea, on October 4, 2012. [Lee Jin-hyuk/10Asia]

credit : 10Asia

Hi Guys! I saw Lee Jung Jin yesterday in the guest visit of the BIFF 2012 in Sohyang Theater here in Busan! I only have this iphone pic but I can better pictures from my digital camera when I get home. He is with Cho Min Soo... The movie Pieta by far is Kim Ki Duk's best!!! I love it!!!

leejungjin.jpg

Pieta to compete in Moscow independent film festival:

Director Kim Ki-duk looks to add to his international acclaim

Filmmaker Kim Ki-duk and his most recent film Pieta has been invited to the International Festival of Independent Films “2morrow/Zavtra” that will begin on Tuesday in Moscow.

This festival presents a number of selected feature films, documentaries and video, art and experimental works by prominent directors. This year marks the sixth year of the independent film festival and ten films from all over the world including as Russia, France, Italy, Sweden, the Netherlands, Hungary and Turkey have been selected to compete for the festival’s main prize. A sponsor of the film festival stated in a news report that, “It is a great honor to have the world renowned artist Director Kim participating in the festival in Moscow.”

Three days ahead of the festival, the director conducted a master class with around 200 small-time filmmakers titled, “No Budget, No Problem.” Kim said, “Despite having a small budget, the most important thing is to make films that express one’s thoughts.”

The film festival’s creative director Olga Dykhovichnaya, who believes that Kim’s films touch at people’s state of mind through conventional language, said that he is the perfect candidate for this film festival because, “He creates his films through talent, not through large budgets and big studios.”

Pieta was the Golden Lion recipient at the 2012 Venice International Film Festival and is the first Korean film to have ever won the top prize at one of the three major film festivals - Cannes, Berlin and Venice.

The Pieta is originally a renaissance sculpture by Michelangelo that depicts the body of Jesus, after the crucifixion, lying on the lap of his mother Mary. Kim’s film is a dramatically violent and grim film about the disturbing mother-son relationship of loan shark Kang-do, played by Lee Jung-jin, and Mi-sun, played by Jo Min-soo, a woman claiming to be his mother who abandoned him at birth. 

Kang-do makes a living as the muscle that cripples those clients who cannot pay off their loans. Then one day, he is confronted by a woman who claims to be his long lost mother. At first, Kang-do brushes her off, but the two eventually come to live together and ensue in controversial acts of intense violence and sexuality, and in their attempts to form a relationship with one another, Kang-do is forced to reconsider the life that he has chosen.

“An intense and, for the first hour, sickeningly violent film that unexpectedly segues into a moving psychological study,” said Deborah Young of the Hollywood Reporter. “Viewers will keep their eyes closed for most of this violent but ultimately moving Korean film.”

This director’s films are no stranger to controversy and criticism and are known for their often times gruesome acts of violence and sexual explicitly. According to news compilations, many local critics were unimpressed with his films and feminist critics in particular called him a “monster,” “psycho” and even a “useless filmmaker.” These remarks caused a lot of tension between Kim and his critics to the point where he vowed that he would no longer participate in interviews with the local press members.

Nevertheless, he has continued to make internationally acclaimed films. In 2004, he received the best director awards, one at the Berlin International Film Festival for the “Samaritan Girl” and one for “3-Iron” at the Venice Film Festival. “Throughout his career, Korean auteur Kim Ki-duk has been a director known to explore the extreme poles of human experience,” said Todd Brown of Twitch Film. “He is a master provocateur playing out his own neuroses and obsessions on the big screen.”

By Julie Jackson (juliejackson@heraldcorp.com)

credit : Korea Herald

database said: Hi Guys! I saw Lee Jung Jin yesterday in the guest visit of the BIFF 2012 in Sohyang Theater here in Busan! I only have this iphone pic but I can better pictures from my digital camera when I get home. He is with Cho Min Soo... The movie Pieta by far is Kim Ki Duk's best!!! I love it!!!