Virus when using Soompi on phone

V

Question

Hello, I am having a problem using Soompi on my cell phone. I always get a virus! This is beyond annoying and prevents me from surfing Soompi. It also makes me want to install all the adblockers that where ever created. Is there a work around? I want to support Soompi so I don't want to use adblockers on this site, but these pop up ad viruses are driving me crazy.

3 answers to this question

@V At Soompi, we do our utmost to prevent virusses. We don't like them and I'm pretty sure neither do you guys :)

There are a few options that could cause this problem:

1) A virus is being served to our community via the adprogram we're using. In that case, to combat the problem, I would need to know which ad is causing this. Can you tell me what you see, possibly even screenshot it?

2) The pages you visit on Soompi are corrupted with virusses. That would mean that content on our own server is infected and we need to get rid of it asap. So I would also like to know which pages you visit frequently.

3) Your phone is already infected by malware/adware and is serving these ads/virusses to you to increase the damage already inflicted on your phone. 

1) and 2) are problems we need to take care of, but we need your help so any info you can spare will help us immensely.

3) is a problem on your phone and although unfortunate, not something we could fix for you. I'm not saying the problem is 3) but just to be sure, I'd advise you to install an antivirusscanner on your phone just the same. Better safe than sorry :)

7 hours ago, CamelKnight said:

@V At Soompi, we do our utmost to prevent virusses. We don't like them and I'm pretty sure neither do you guys :)

There are a few options that could cause this problem:

1) A virus is being served to our community via the adprogram we're using. In that case, to combat the problem, I would need to know which ad is causing this. Can you tell me what you see, possibly even screenshot it?

2) The pages you visit on Soompi are corrupted with virusses. That would mean that content on our own server is infected and we need to get rid of it asap. So I would also like to know which pages you visit frequently.

3) Your phone is already infected by malware/adware and is serving these ads/virusses to you to increase the damage already inflicted on your phone. 

1) and 2) are problems we need to take care of, but we need your help so any info you can spare will help us immensely.

3) is a problem on your phone and although unfortunate, not something we could fix for you. I'm not saying the problem is 3) but just to be sure, I'd advise you to install an antivirusscanner on your phone just the same. Better safe than sorry :)

I don't think it could be #3 because I can surf other websites fine. But it even happened when I used someone else's phone (eep!). This has happened on Dramabeans though and they told me that it is a rogue ad that they are trying to find.  I visit Dramabeans and Soompi regularly, so it might be a Dramabeans rogue ad that was just delayed while I was surfing Soompi? i don't think that is the case though because I haven't surfed Dramabeans recently due to that issue.

The sites I visit on Soompi are all the forum section in the Korean drama forums. I never (very very rarely) surf the actual front page of Soompi, so I think the rogue ads (if that is it) might be in the forums somewhere.

The ad is an Amazon or Facebook ad that tells you you have won something and to click on the link. I think the Facebook one is a spinning wheel and keeps you on Facebook. You cannot use the back arrow to back out, you have to clear your cache to get rid of it.

Thank you so much for following up! This only happens on my phone, it doesn't happen on my computer so my guess is that it may be a cell phone rogue ad.

UPDATE:

I also want to add that this rogue ad is able to cut through ad blockers and virus blockers because my friends phone had all of that on it. They had to download a special Samsung ad blocker/malware blocker that is only available on their type of phone (one of the new Samsung Notes) in order to remove it.

On 16-2-2018 at 11:26 PM, V said:

I don't think it could be #3 because I can surf other websites fine. But it even happened when I used someone else's phone (eep!). This has happened on Dramabeans though and they told me that it is a rogue ad that they are trying to find.  I visit Dramabeans and Soompi regularly, so it might be a Dramabeans rogue ad that was just delayed while I was surfing Soompi? i don't think that is the case though because I haven't surfed Dramabeans recently due to that issue.

The sites I visit on Soompi are all the forum section in the Korean drama forums. I never (very very rarely) surf the actual front page of Soompi, so I think the rogue ads (if that is it) might be in the forums somewhere.

The ad is an Amazon or Facebook ad that tells you you have won something and to click on the link. I think the Facebook one is a spinning wheel and keeps you on Facebook. You cannot use the back arrow to back out, you have to clear your cache to get rid of it.

Thank you so much for following up! This only happens on my phone, it doesn't happen on my computer so my guess is that it may be a cell phone rogue ad.

UPDATE:

I also want to add that this rogue ad is able to cut through ad blockers and virus blockers because my friends phone had all of that on it. They had to download a special Samsung ad blocker/malware blocker that is only available on their type of phone (one of the new Samsung Notes) in order to remove it.

Thanks for all the info! I'm sure we can get the culprit with all of this!!

Archived