[Drama 2017] The Ruler: Master of the Mask /The Emperor: Owner of the Mask 군주:가면의 주인

Go Seung Ji

our competition looks tough. Especially 7 day queen since it has a great PD. All of his dramas seem to be hits or have good ratings. He directed Healer which I loved! (although it didn't do well rating wise).

• Replies 11.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I heard its our Ga Eun's turn next week to released her video. They starting to promote ruler now, more and more.. They should be, since it will be a tough competition between the three stations. Though Park Min Young will be in KBS, I will probably still more like to support Ruler because of the two leads :D  

Spoiler

@maryofbethany It is indeed from another drama, probably Moon Embracing the Sun or Rooftop prince. She's really young there. So adorable as always :D I think you shouldn't delete it chingu cause it will still count as a post either way right? 

@lintaki They announced that it will be on May 10. But because of the heavy weather in korea and change in actor, there might be some changes or postponement in the future. 

Edit: L shot, commoner mode.

Han Ga Eun in first photo (or still cut?) was so pure, graceful yet at the same time determined. Lee Seon prince was freaking adorable as he became shy at the end of the video. I was most confused with L character? He is supposed to become a fake Crown Prince or a fake King?

Now an official Instagram was set up, I hope us will get a lot more photos and BTS and everything to make up for that long 5 months we endured until now. I feel like So Hyun is eager to post BTS, selcas and photos too but she just can't yet, and today right after the official posted one photo of Han Ga Eun, she posted on her Insta right away too. 

Talk about rating competitions, Im worried because Ruler's precedent aka Radiant Office is doing poorly rating wise, and Ruler will have to face Mystery Queen 3 last weeks and I somehow think that Mystery Queen will be the one with good rating. About direct opponents, Be careful of this woman can be another Do Bong Soon and romcoms seem to be Korean taste recently? not to mention Ji Chang Wook and possible Han Ji Min too. I havent heard much about "7 days queen" yet but this is also a sageuk drama? I hope that ep 1 of Ruler will be a strong one that premiere like a BANG and draws viewers in since ep 1 onward. Please don't make a messy and boring ep 1.

This waiting game like a roller-coaster to me. Last few days, I am happy with our leads updates. now I'm worried about the rating wise. but truthfully, what most important is the storyline (includes directing, the chemistry between actors, etc like the WHOLE thing). I hope that we will have a great storyline and that eventually will draw more audiences and of course I will have ease mind while watching Ruler.

How I missed the old days without worry about ratings at all because nowadays, it's all about RATING. it is such a MANDATORY to have GOOD ratings in order to define how good those dramas but actually it was overrated (this is so general, I do not specify and generalize because many dramas deserved to have high ratings)  while there are also good dramas that have poor ratings and underrated. 

So for the millionth time, good luck Ruler. 

I just saw the 2nd teaser! what a pleasant surprise:) I was worried about the mask but it looks really good on YSH. I guess it just came out weird in the pictures. From this teaser it seems like the story will be very male centric? I think there will be many scenes between YSH and his father. I'm happy to see that KSH looks like a strong willed girl. I'm just hoping that they don't try to make her into a plot device for the sake of the male character. I wanna see her fight too! I do have to say that I'm not very happy with the cinematography and overall directing... I shouldn't judge from the teaser but it didn't look high quality:/

THIS TEASER JUST RAISE UP MY EXPECTATION!!!!!
this saeguk will be very diff from those shown last yr 2016 until now... saluting the PD and hope the writer meet up to the job of writing an indepth story behind. by the looks of its, its does hav heart-trending moments.
i guess by this Ruler, MBC goes back to the traditional style of saeguk-production, will be very diff from the fantasy-manhwa-hero-cheery-romantic kind of saeguk... at least it wont be like those who graced your small screen last year.
may lost some rating by going to the 'old traditonal' way but i liked it.

can anyone see clearly the assassin stab who (someone, royal in white robe)... Yoo? or the king?

goosh, YSH looks so nice in that mask.. glad that they change the cuttle-fish look mask into this awesome steel (or silver) mask.. definitely Yoo looks nice in it..
i really hope they write both YSH and KSH has some back story, where they meet in the street market or else where, become friends and even fall in love as young adults, (not really for that kind of two kid meet as 7 yrs old and 'fall in love' and declare that as 'first love stuff"... haha , i never buy that kind of fall in love as childhood stuff. ) but i want to see YSH and KSH meet when both do NOT know each other identity, and they talked alot, or even escape some dangers together, found each other being sync in understand to each other and fall in love.
oosp, KSH's eyes of hurts... who is she hugging and protecting while stared anger in 'someone'?

cr.rulermasterofthemask_mbc

Yey for a strong-willed KSH! I wanna see her in a sword fight or do some epic archery skills. Also, I want to see her forehead! It's Joseon and she has fringes. Lol. I want to see her hair pulled up. 

Also, I hope they don't make this drama serious all throughout. I'm all for politics as the main conflict but in the end, who cares about any of that? This is coming from a perspective of a non-sageuk loving kdrama viewer. I'm not saying they sacrifice the plot for the sake of comedy or romance or other things really, I just want something to draw me in at first glance. And serious politics is not the way to do it -- unless you're a hardcore sageuk lover or an ajussi or halmeoni just randomly switching tv stations and decided to settle with Ruler just because it's sageuk. From the looks of it, this would be a male-centric drama, and it's sad. It would be a waste of KSH's talent to just be a plot device for all the men in this story.

Anyway, it's just a teaser. I hope that Ruler is more than what I saw in those measly seconds.

Spoiler

cr.rulermasterofthemask.official
i guess this is the bodyguard. the one standing on the roof at the IG some weeks ago.
he should be one of the royal's loyal subject.
yah, checked, yes, it is posted at Kim seo kyung's IG>
 6 days ago he posted this.

cr.kimsohyun_jungjaehyun

cr. ksh_fanforever. kimsohyun_jungjaeh

cr. ayabloomington

fans are really fast.

@berou I agree I want this drama to be more of a traditional sageuk... a well written one of course. I do want the romance in there but I don't want it to be the overall focus on the drama. It should be about his rise as a ruler for his people and how his love helps him to grow. With that being said I do understand where non sageuk viewers are coming from. There should be something to draw in all types of viewers, that's a formula for a good drama.

I also don't mind if the drama is male-centric because I figured it would be from the beginning, but I'm over Kdramas giving female actresses damsel in distress roles all the time as a plot device. I will be throughly disappointed if this happens with KSH's character. I hope they keep her as someone strong willed and very wise. I love that scene where KSH pulled out the sword though. Hopefully she can do some action scenes. 

I can also feel that this is going to be really a male-centric, serious to melo sageuk drama.

As a KSH fan, I do understand why she would chose this role, she's transitioning to an adult actress and this is going to help her a lot to establish that image. Ga Eun is such a strong character, can stand on her own and will protect someone if needed, that's very wise and mature image indeed. I believe she'll do rom-com once she's at the right age already, not now.

For the romantic side, I'm having this vision that it is not going to be flowery in Ruler, more on the martyrdom/fight together side, haha I don't know how to describe it. But I have a scene in mind that YSH and KSH will be facing a lot of enemies, they're inside a cave to take cover with all those blood and sweats and then they will be looking onto each other eyes, no words exchange, being able to understand one another thru eye contact. Hahaha! Pls excuse me of my delusionsss, I'm just so happy of the surprise teaser today. Been keep on repeating again and again even though I'm still at work! Hahaha

Thanks,Ruler team! :)

46 minutes ago, Berou said:

If it ain't got politics , i'm not in.  I don't like flowery stuffs, rom com etc. It's not my style. I don't want the plot to be sacrified for the sake of eye candies, romances , silly/funny scenes. Ruler is exactly how i expected to be since i've been a long time a yoopie(ysh's fan).  I know YSH's taste.It's a BANG drama, with serious issues depicted, dark , gritty, meaty, serious. YSH doesn't do rom com. Above all, he doesn't like romance and prefers melo and serious dramas. We're going to get a LOT of things to talk about.  I'm a sageuk lover and ruler will certainly be one of my fave sageuks. I haven't watched a good sageuk for a long time, the last time was in 2014 , empress ki.  I think my intuition was right, sorry to disapoint KSH's but it looks like ruler is a male centric drama. The main hero is lee seon, the story revolves around him . In the trailer we see a glimpse of lee ga eun  and we only hear the voice of YSH, not KSH's. So,there will be only little part for the romance.

@Berou well said. you exactly speak my mind.
you see, i always read of how people rant against this actress or that actress's role being useless, to be put there mainly for sake of providing loveline for the story... some goes extra step into damning the actresses acting when the role is written such.. we really want this drama to stand different from the many High Rating (and wonderful of cause) dramas like MoonLover SH, MoonLight, Hwarang, the King Loves... Ruler got to be different to stand out, stand apart.

but i should say, just like some among here, who discovered YSH thru Remember or Warrior, both of which are Male Centric drama... yet you see, in Kdrama world, its always male centric alot of the time. But a good writer can make a male centric drama written with good character and plot for the female lead, so much that even if given that lesser amount of screen time, we still can find challenging role for the female lead to shine... its not as some would say, the female cast danced around the male and run after him all the time.. (i saw in Remember's Park MinYoung being damned to such an image... when they didnt see what a strong and independent brave character her female cast role was.)
like wise, don't worry, even if it is male centric , with a skillful writernim's stroke of pen, and the Shinning SoHyun's acting skill, and the PD's ability to advise and generate mood and emotions on screen, this role may well be KSH's best role in portraying herself as a young adult. we also want to see SoHyun stand out as diff from the rest of the acting cute and lovely actresses around her right?

she just cannot do those "comic-princess-angel-muse-damsel"  role. how to stand out in a male centric world, i think among actresses of her age to 23+, she's might just be the only one that challenge it.
saeguk's world, is a cruel male centric world. no choice.
our history is cruel too. no choice. if ruler follow history, it shall be cruel and heavy and melo, but you will loved it to pieces, and don't regret follow such a 'boring' story.

6 minutes ago, an05 said:

I hope they keep her as someone strong willed and very wise. I love that scene where KSH pulled out the sword though. Hopefully she can do some action scenes. 

I love that scene as well, and looking forward for her fight scenes since last few months her schedule is giving time to prepare so much for this. I'm also looking forward to her horseback riding on screen!

Overall, I just so love the new teaser! Really grateful to the production team!

Ruler, fighting! :)

41 minutes ago, Berou said:

If it ain't got politics , i'm not in.  I don't like flowery stuffs, rom com etc. It's not my style. I don't want the plot to be sacrified for the sake of eye candies, romances , silly/funny scenes. Ruler is exactly how i expected to be since i've been a long time a yoopie(ysh's fan).  I know YSH's taste.It's a BANG drama, with serious issues depicted, dark , gritty, meaty, serious. YSH doesn't do rom com. Above all, he doesn't like romance and prefers melo and serious dramas. We're going to get a LOT of things to talk about.  I'm a sageuk lover and ruler will certainly be one of my fave sageuks. I haven't watched a good sageuk for a long time, the last time was in 2014 , empress ki.  I think my intuition was right, sorry to disapoint KSH's but it looks like ruler is a male centric drama. The main hero is lee seon, the story revolves around him . In the trailer we see a glimpse of lee ga eun  and we only hear the voice of YSH, not KSH's. So,there will be only little part for the romance.

Ruler was stated as a youth melodrama from the beginning. I don't understand how some can think it is MDBC 2.0  . In korean drama terms either it's melo ( aka serious) or romcom ( with little plot). You don't mix both, there are hardly few serious dramas focused more on the romance part.  I guess there'll be few kdrama viewers who are going to be disappointed about ruler, they expect it to be more romance-style, manhwa-style. 

I fail to understand why you needed to mention MBDC because for one, I wasn't expecting Ruler to be like it. Yes, I mentioned romance or comedy, but I also mentioned "other things" which could anything (suspense, thriller). I'm not expecting it to be romance-manhwa style because I don't like to much cheese either. My point is, as a casual kdrama viewer, I want it to be a good balance of everything, not just serious politics. I'm not saying they need to get rid of the politics, I just hope they make it as interesting as possible because not everyone wants to watch a drama that is all about politics all throughout. I am a person who tends to drop dramas that don't attract my attention at the get-go, even if everybody says that the story gets good as you go on and even if that drama has my favorite actor. Also, if this is going to be male-centric the least I can hope for is they don't make the females be wallflowers or stereotypical Joseon candies--not just KSH, but all of them. Because I'm so done with kdramas that make the heroines whiny and annoying and just straight-up damsel in distress that needs the hero to save her every freaking time.

btw it seems like we know why Han Ga Eun's father was executed... I bet it's because he saw YSH's face without the mask on or caused him to take it off. In the trailer YSH keeps pondering why people are killed if he takes off his mask.

7 minutes ago, aineofcebu said:

I can also feel that this is going to be really a male-centric, serious to melo sageuk drama.

As a KSH fan, I do understand why she would chose this role, she's transitioning to an adult actress and this is going to help her a lot to establish that image. Ga Eun is such a strong character, can stand on her own and will protect someone if needed, that's very wise and mature image indeed. I believe she'll do rom-com once she's at the right age already, not now.

For the romantic side, I'm having this vision that it is not going to be flowery in Ruler, more on the martyrdom/fight together side, haha I don't know how to describe it. But I have a scene in mind that YSH and KSH will be facing a lot of enemies, they're inside a cave to take cover with all those blood and sweats and then they will be looking onto each other eyes, no words exchange, being able to understand one another thru eye contact. Hahaha! Pls excuse me of my delusionsss, I'm just so happy of the surprise teaser today. Been keep on repeating again and again even though I'm still at work! Hahaha

Thanks,Ruler team! :)

@aineofcebu talking about romancing. we (YSH fans) also dying to see him in a OTP role, love till the world's end kinda role.
but i think you can envision his way of romancing is tilted towards the subtle, the shy, the silent gaze... the stealing glance... the hidden love-message... the embrace, the hand-hold accidentally. .... they won't be giving up a kiss by ep6 or ep8, haha. like many of the nowadays dramas, by ep4 or ep8, OTP are kissing like nobody business....
i guess, YSH and KSH will make you scratch your face to demand, to theaten, to plea, to pray ..... for a kiss scene.. until when they bestow, it will be like a blessing...
sometimes silent and pending and yearning, is a torture, but a pleasing torture.

haha. aineofcebu can work towards becoming a script-writer in future. yahaha

Full article as in Drama beans

http://www.dramabeans.com/2017/03/yoo-seung-ho-becomes-the-prince-behind-the-mask-in-new-ruler-master-of-the-mask-teaser/

A Second teaser has been released for MBC’s sageuk romance Ruler–Master of the Mask, starring Yoo Seung-ho (Remember–Son’s War) as a lonely crown prince forced to hide his face behind a mask. But… why on earth would anybody hide that face? It’s a crime against humanity, I say. Apparently it’s a mystery to the prince himself, and he begins to question the reason he must remain hidden from the world in the drama’s latest teaser.

The story set in Joseon is about a shadow organization that’s out to privatize the water supply to line their greedy pockets and make the rich richer, and a lonely righteous crown prince who is determined to protect his people. Kim So-hyun (Bring It On, Ghost) co-stars as a young woman determined to get revenge on the prince for ordering the execution of her father, but that revenge will take a big turn when she falls in love with the prince instead.

Yoon So-hee (Memory) plays a tragic figure who will betray her family for love—she’s the granddaughter of the shadow organization’s leader, played by Heo Joon-ho (Beautiful Mind), and she’ll forsake her corrupt family in order to love the prince. Infinite’s L (She’s So Lovable) is the poor son of a butcher with a brilliant mind who becomes a stand-in for the prince. Now that we know the mask is literal, this explains how someone else could act as a double for the prince.

The show’s second teaser opens with Yoo Seung-ho asking his father, “If I take off this mask, will more people die?” As Kim So-hyun brandishes a sword in the street and is overtaken by soldiers, Yoo Seung-ho fights the shadow organization with his mask on. He continues in voiceover, “Why are you killing them all? What is the real reason I must wear this mask? Please tell me!”

I’m interested to see if this drama will pull off the prince’s hidden identity storyline in a cool way, because there’s a lot of potential in the mask, the faceless prince, and the stand-in pauper. It’s something that Hwarang explored recently, though not with enough depth to be completely satisfying, and I’d love a meaty version with complex twists and turns and mixed-up lovelines.

Ruler–Master of the Mask is directed by PD Noh Do-chul (Mom’s Garden, Soulmate) and comes from newbie writers Park Hye-jin and Jung Hae-ri. It follows Radiant Office on Wednesdays and Thursdays beginning May 10.

Archived