[Drama 2017] The Ruler: Master of the Mask /The Emperor: Owner of the Mask 군주:가면의 주인

Go Seung Ji

• Replies 11.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just finished watching the episodes and really loved Kim So Hyun's performance as Ga Eun. Her acting is so mature even though she's only 17/18 and I like that she's not trying to be too cute like other actresses.

However, I think the second leads in the drama are not really compelling. Kim Hwa Goon is kind of creepy lol, but since this is a 40 episode drama we'll see what happens next. The plot is really interesting with how the Water Bureau has so much power and I'm looking forward to seeing the love story unfold between the Crown Prince and Ga Eun. 

Love this scene (he's the girl here:tongue:)

tumblr_ooikllLo851vqfmslo1_540.gif

Team Dramabeans: What we’re watching

(Ruler–Master of the Mask)

javabeans :: It’s not the perfectly seamless and gorgeously packaged sageuk experience that, for example, Moonlight Drawn By Clouds was for me, but it’s got a lot of appealing things going for it and I was glad to have had the chance to weigh in on the first episode recap. Yoo Seung-ho is for sure hard-carrying this show, and whenever he’s onscreen I find myself getting sucked deep into the scenes without even realizing it consciously. Kim So-hyun is promising so far, and even L isn’t terrible! (I mean, he’s not great, but he doesn’t stick out like a sore thumb or make me angry for being cast. Which is more than I can say for Yoon So-hee, who is legit terrible and whose casting I cannot comprehend.)

girlfriday :: I remember being so disappointed in Hwarang’s execution of Jinheung’s story as the faceless king, because it was such a compelling setup with so much dramatic potential. I see hope in Ruler getting the faceless king motif right (fingers crossed), because from the start I see why the prince should wear the mask, and why he finds it suffocating, and I find his loneliness palpable. Obviously Yoo Seung-ho has everything to do with this. I’m skeptical of all this poison business, but as soon as Yoo Seung-ho and Kim So-hyun were onscreen together, I found my happy place and realized that I didn’t want to leave.

cr

I need to share this. I like how straightforward our Crown Prince is. haha (sorry If already posted) :tongue::wub:

Spoiler

x3cNVRb.jpg

QsbWk5i.jpg

iwVIEct.jpg

Qg5Tjwr.jpg

I think one of the reasons why the Crown Prince fall for her is her mindset in life.

3OscOQb.jpg

LtqRwTv.jpg

Look how fascinated he is. :wub: look at those eyes.

Spoiler

sPo4Ofy.jpg

Finally got around to watching this one two and I am not sure yet where this is going. So far I like all the main characters but feel like the plot is somewhat childish (again) for such a serious and political theme.

Kim Sohyeon doesn't look as pretty as she did in her cameo in goblin, it's such a pity! She looked so beautiful and elegant as the queen there, I wish she would always be so pretty.

The second female lead reminds me, interestingly, of a females character from a famous Chinese novel (with 100 movie and drama adaptations): Duan Zi. To those who don't know her, she was a young girl raised to think nothing of killing maiming and torturing innocent ppl, intelligent but cruel. She fell in love with a righteous man who cared for her but never in a romantic way. Her cruelty and lack of morals or empathy was depicted many times throughout the novel, but in the end, when he died a heroic death, she threw herself off the cliff with his corpse.

Of course I'm not saying that our prince will die, but that it would be very interesting to have an evil (not petty, not jealous, not power hungry but not helpless either) female second lead. I'm looking forward to her character development.

Our prince is still innocent and a bit stupid in some aspects, but also has quite bad luck. I can't believe that his father has not told him anything and let him grow up to this age ignorant of what is really dangerous. Had he known how powerful the water ministry really was he might not have tried to save the male second lead's father in such a way that lead to his death, but giving his jade to the poor boy with the same name as him as a token and being caught in the next moment is really just bad luck. BTW I just realized that this is the prince again who died in the rice container (historically), I happened to watch yeo Jingoo acting as his dad last year and just watched baek Dong su a few months ago where yoo seungho's character killed the person he is playing now lol

We haven't seen much of the communer yee sun yet, I really like L but his acting is slightly... not good, hope he will improve over time and not have too many emotional scenes...

And last but least I am very surprised that the water problem seems to be a historical thing, I have never heard of anything like that and wonder how it really was historically?

15 hours ago, sakura2016 said:

you mean the crazy girl who caused the death of Lee Sun's father only to find our Crown Prince?!! soor but I HATE HER!! :rage: she's a big delusional!! she can be of use to him (she can make her grandfather believe that communer Lee Sun is the real Crown Prince) but she's to be feared at every step!!

My apologies chingu sakura2016, please forgive me.  hahaha I changed my mind.  I rewatched the episodes lastnight and I just realized how Yandere the second lead girl is. (I watched the episode 3&4 without subtitles that's why I don't understand some of the scenes) lol I guess I taken to like her at first because her character seems unique to me. I ship the OTP. lol

I hope she won't hurt Ga Eun.

18 hours ago, cecentre said:

I'm so sad when there is so much negativity against HG. Like sure, she's mean, manipulative, downright using people to get to her goals, but I feel like she could have so much potential later on in the story! I think that the face she made when she realized that the CP is with someone else is not necessarily a vicious one (I don't remember but my memory is bad). And she still expressed concern for him when she was summoned by Dak Mok. So no, I don't think she will cause him trouble and be the psycho that ruins his life and try to kill him because she can't get him or something like that.

Personally I don't think that she did it with an intention of marking him so she knows for sure if he is the CP. I think in that moment her *logical* decision is to prick him so he could let go of her (she obviously didn't know she could be killed if she was found). She then pricked herself later as a way to match with him, and honestly it's creepy but judging on how she was brought up I will be understanding of that behavior. 

I'm not saying she is not evil; right now she is evil, but she is also an interesting one that can have a lottt of character development. I remember reading one of the posters and it said that she would betray her family and stuff for "love" so hopefully she would be redeemed? 

Really? that's interesting. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I actually like her character at first and had a feeling that she'll become an ally of the crown prince someday. She is quite possessive right now and follows the crown prince like a puppy. lol but I believe all of the characters will develop along the series and the bad guy might become the good guy and the good guy might become the bad guy. Something like that. Noticed how fast paced the story is, because it will be needing a lot of characters development. 

Now I can't wait until our Crown Prince mature and how Ga Eun (from being kind & soft-hearted will become vengeful) because of her father's death. :wink:

I actually enjoy seeing how characters might develop from being a doormat/timid to a badass.

11 minutes ago, paperboat04 said:

My apologies chingu sakura2016, please forgive me.  hahaha I changed my mind.  I rewatched the episodes lastnight and I just realized how Yandere the second lead girl is. (I watched the episode 3&4 without subtitles that's why I don't understand some of the scenes) lol I guess I taken to like her at first because her character seems unique to me. I ship the OTP. lol

I hope she won't hurt Ga Eun.

I also really hope they don't make him marry her. That would be really predictable because the hero never marries the heroine first in drama land. But since his father mentioned a crown princess selection we'll see what will happen next.

2 hours ago, paperboat04 said:

and the bad guy might become the good guy and the good guy might become the bad guy.

I actually find it interesting that you said the good guy might become the bad guy because I think thats going to apply to the poor Lee Sun, I feel like after he becomes the subsititue fo4 the prince the power might get to his head and corrupt him as a person. I like his personality so far, he is strong and omg his crush on Ga Eun is the sweetest.

Can't wait for next weeks episode and hope the ratings continue to increase.

4 hours ago, paperboat04 said:

Really? that's interesting. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I actually like her character at first and had a feeling that she'll become an ally of the crown prince someday. She is quite possessive right now and follows the crown prince like a puppy. lol but I believe all of the characters will develop along the series and the bad guy might become the good guy and the good guy might become the bad guy. Something like that. Noticed how fast paced the story is, because it will be needing a lot of characters development. 

Now I can't wait until our Crown Prince mature and how Ga Eun (from being kind & soft-hearted will become vengeful) because of her father's death. :wink:

I actually enjoy seeing how characters might develop from being a doormat/timid to a badass.

True though! I feel like there are going to be a lot of character development for the main four, as specially with Lee Sun from all the previews TT_TT But yes I can't wait for Ga Eun to change from a sweet and soft girl to a strong and badass lady with a long knife and all, although I probably would be swimming in tears at that point -_-.

7 hours ago, paperboat04 said:

I need to share this. I like how straightforward our Crown Prince is. haha (sorry If already posted) :tongue::wub:

Reveal hidden contents

I think one of the reasons why the Crown Prince fall for her is her mindset in life.

Look how fascinated he is. :wub: look at those eyes.

Reveal hidden contents

Yoo Seung Ho has such expressive eyes during his acting and I always feel like bursting into flower petals when he does that, especially in romantic scenes

Look at that worried face I would fall in love too

Such a sweetie pie with captivating eyesss :wub:

Archived