[Drama 2017] The Ruler: Master of the Mask /The Emperor: Owner of the Mask 군주:가면의 주인

Go Seung Ji

@maryofbethany well chingu it wasn't 100% confirmed either if it is really sado's story :D So maybe it's a different Prince after all? Oh my ..

With @gerrytan8063 comment it made me think if they maybe took inspiration with Phantom of the Opera? hahaha, except the phantom was a possessive maniac. Who am I kidding :D  Anyway i'll just enjoy this update even if Yoo Seung ho's handsome face is covered with a mask..

• Replies 11.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, gerrytan8063 said:

@maryofbethany

" there are no records of a covered face, masked Sado right? weird! "

No....phantom of the opera wannabes

@gerrytan8063 hahah u do have humors!!!:glasses:yah, even the respected 'The Rebel' or Saimdong (i expected this dramas to be honest compared to the tons of fancy saeguks) also goes into a kind of "supernatural' with HongGiDong has super power and Saimdong reincarnated... ahha. not hard to imagine if Ruler not Writer by a veteran writer, it may add fancies n dramatic plots... anyway, let's not judge until we see the plot (telling myself). haha. they may just goes the Lee JoonGi style, LJG very good in gaeguk-masks: Iljimae, Gunman in Joseon, MoonLovers Sacred Heart...

@akausagi haha to u also. it will be YSH's first kind of image as a Masked hero. for me, i am kinda 90% believed it is Sado, like you, i want an official announcement that he is Sado. if it is Sado, think the freaky King Yeongjo might be out of some fear, made Sado wear mask to cover his face (some superdious belief, or some securities measures). the funny things if the issue is securities then as well hide the Crown prince completely no allowed him to appear in public (just like in Hwarang, the King was hid from public, not allowed to show his face to anyone, no one in whole palace know who is the king in Hwarang except the very rare few, his personal assistant and Queen). for Sado, the only reason i guess for wearing mask, might be King Dad freaking out, out of some superstition , or just suppressing the Crown Prince for fear of loosing throne too soon. 
just for romantic feels, it will be a nice plot to find KSH character meet the crown prince in mask and bicker with him, or fought with him, fall in love without knowing he is Prince,... hahah. that kind of Iljimae plot.. (i used to love Iljimae like crazy, Iljimae was acted by my beloved Han Hyojoo.)

7 hours ago, faye406 said:

7 hours ago, faye406 said:

She is really pretty with or without (less) makeup... I'm not sure about YSH's heart but for sure KSH has stole many  male fans hearts.. :D

She is really beautiful even without makeup !  Moreover, KSH has also stolen a no. of male actors / oppas  (like CN Blue Kang Min hyuk and Kwok Dong Hyun)    hearts too :blush:

8 hours ago, maryofbethany said:

i wonder why introduce the "mask", a literal Mask? the history in fact never record such mask?

I think the drama is not totally base on history events. We all know there are many secrets around Sado and his life.

I think the Writer-nim build "a mask" as a "cause" to tell us how Sado is before he become mad at the end of his life. Maybe they will meet a conscious and intelligent ver of Sado, who fight for  his critizen and justice .I read that you had seen the movie "The Throne" already. As you can see in that movie, Sado seems doesnt want to become a Crown Prince, but he also "talent" to become a Crown Prince, a King. Look at the way he struggle the  officials , his objection to the individual power and privatization, he was born to be a King. In a comparision with the Prince Sado in "Worrior Baek Dong Soo", the Prince was also fight and dead because of the officials. I'm nearly surprised that these are so linking and logical between films and history! His fight maybe one of the reason why he slandered and die young. Who knows.

I hope this drama will be "Sado and the unknown things", we will see another side of Sado, the story how he fought, the people who fought and died with him in that year.

ps1: about the mask, i'm very disapointed with it. I've hope for this, - things that will show amazing Yoo Seung Ho's facial expressions. But, gosh! It's too big and rough. Why can they give him that mask?? I'm really want to see another one for Yoo :((

ps2: I've wonder are the girls in hanbok above acting in the drama. I hope not. Why? I don't know whether they are actor or not, but their hanbok and hairstyle is too modern! They're pretty but ARE NOT SUIT TO A SAGEUK DRAMA! I'm really want to see such a beautiful hanbok like ones in Joseon Magician, the Throne or other drama like Dae Jang Geum, Dong Yi, The Moon Embracing The Sun,.... Please!!

21 hours ago, kimsohyun1201 said:

Do you know how myungsoos character is later going to portray the prince, wouldnt the mask help him cover up the fact that he is not the prince? Maybe thats why he wears it??? Not sure all i know is i need more updates

I'm backing you up on this one chingu, hahaha.. I'm itching for more updates :heart:

Need more updates! Must have updates! *waiting intensifies* :crazy:

3 hours ago, Berou said:

The pink one is pretty tho :

They got one of the best hanbok designers in.korea and still.couldnt design pretty,simple,authentic hanboks. What's  with the golden ribbons? The figurants arent gisaengs either. Their hairstyle doesnt suit the joseon era. As you've said too modern ! Moreover,the hanbok still looks big on YSH. They didnt adjust to.his size.

Im disappponted over the fact he wears a mask,too LJKish. We've already seen a sageuk masked hero in some popular dramas. No need for.comparisons. it ll be even harder for YSH to act, he is going to rely on his eyes a 100% and all the time to show expressions and emotions. This drama will.not narrate historical events truthfully. At this point im even doubting he's sado. If historically there's no phantom of opera  wannabes, why not create a fictional crown prince?

@Berou yes, agreed. no need to compare with other dramas, we wont try... but worry the vast Knetizens who are less merciless will... since we already have lots of Masked saeguk hero ( Bridal mask, Iljimae, Gunman in Joseon, MoonLovers Sacred Heart) that has the Male Lead as a masked hero fighting for the poor robbing the baddies. not trying to stir anything. just saying the different usage of the mask does play a important part in the story.  that i at first hope the mask be used not as a cover up for heroic act., eg, hero wear mask to fight.... , but simply as wearing mask to mixed into the group of poor people to see how they live... instead of wear mask and stand out as hero.... but wear mask to become invisible and observe his subjects' livelihood.  i was really in zeal & happy for YSH to finally landed a role that can test his acting skill beyond his present limits. i want his Sado to rise the Bar so high that all the past Sados cannot hold a candle to his portrayal of Sado. want in future to comes, when people talked about Sado, they will say, "Oh, remember Yoo Seung Ho acted in that Drama, that Prince was Sado.... " this is the first time i started and stay in a thread even before the drama aired. yes, i never do that, i only go to that drama thread when it aired. Even during Healer and W, it was like aired during the First week, then i watch and go to lurk in the soompi thread. Ruler is my best drama, talking about it before it aired. i have huge worries now over the liberties in design the hanboks... too kpop style hanboks... too modern!

@akausagi agreed. while i can yak so much about Sado... if they took liberty in changing the whole prince into something total fictional.. then it a huge joke... . but all these will fail to happen, if they withhold informations, and finallly say THIS IS NO SADO, then whatever gerrytan and me and the rest said and happy about will be one big joke. agree, i need confirmation this is Sado! while i am 90% sure, just like gerrytan.

@Jelly Filan Safi Master of the Mask, must then means the Prince is the real Master/Owner of the Mask / the real Identity behind the Mask / the Real Future "Ruler-to-be, the Real Master behind the Mask". yes, i watched all those saeguk dramas on Sado that i mentioned. i actually did forget about Warrior Baek DongSuk has a Sado. the Deepest feels of Sado is still from The Secret Door. and i hope they justify Sado, i actually pity YAI's Sado in The Throne, good acting. but i cannot identity with his Sado, it just flow according to the standard understand of Sado. YSH's strength indeed is his facial expressions, hope it is only initial that they hide him behind the mask. just hope they don't deviate too far from main sources about Sado, just the original story line is already very intriguing enough to serve as a traditional "main course", need no further dressings of 'spices' to make it a fushion-mixed of new 'Sado'. because like you said, the mysteries behind what is the truth, is he innocent and framed, or just mad and murderously guilty.. this alone is enough to spin a 40 eps drama.

@kimsohyun1201 i was thinking that the fake Prince "L" character should be the one wearing mask most of the time, because L is no way looking like YSH.. .if he wear mask as a decoy, and occasional when YSH come along back to his usual duties, he also wear mask... then i can explain away why there is a need for mask to be introduce...

@rossy5 your cuttlefish mask is hilarous!:thumbsup:hahha. about the mask, how i wish, they actually make him wear a full-color black, or a full-red / or a full-golden mask.... if King need to wear gold, and prince dark blue... at least better than those Europeon's masquerade ball kind of fancy mask. unless it is because the King purposely make the son wear such a ugly mask out of his own jealousy over the rising power of the son.  i also don't like the mask.

@gerrytan8063 i think i never asked you this: which of the drama's portrayal of Sado is closest to Sado, in your opinion? infact i am still bug over that such a heavy material of Sado is given to a new-nugu writer, all castings is daebak in the castings, but the writernim alone is relatively not known and not proven. which sado you like?

@maryofbethany

"  i think i never asked you this: which of the drama's portrayal of Sado is closest to Sado, in your opinion? infact i am still bug over that such a heavy material of Sado is given to a new-nugu writer, all castings is daebak in the castings, but the writernim alone is relatively not known and not proven. which sado you like? "

If you can get hold of the 1998 MBC drama Path of a New Dynasty (대왕의길), this is my choice. This was my first drama about Crown Prince Sado as I had already posted on this thread in page 10. I have also seen 1988 MBC Memoirs of Lady Hyegyeong ( 한중록 one of Arirang channel reruns) where Choi Su Jong played Crown Prince Sado & director by the famous Lee Byeong Heon (Dae Jang Geum fame) 

19 minutes ago, gerrytan8063 said:

@maryofbethany

"  i think i never asked you this: which of the drama's portrayal of Sado is closest to Sado, in your opinion? infact i am still bug over that such a heavy material of Sado is given to a new-nugu writer, all castings is daebak in the castings, but the writernim alone is relatively not known and not proven. which sado you like? "

If you can get hold of the 1998 MBC drama Path of a New Dynasty (대왕의길), this is my choice. This was my first drama about Crown Prince Sado as I had already posted on this thread in page 10. I have also seen 1988 MBC Memoirs of Lady Hyegyeong ( 한중록 one of Arirang channel reruns) where Choi Su Jong played Crown Prince Sado & director by the famous Lee Byeong Heon (Dae Jang Geum fame) 

@gerrytan8063 thanks for speedy reply. will try to find out more about it. hopefully it is not long. yes, anything by Lee Byeong Heon is worth seeing, have seen and admired his work in 'Dae Jang Geum', 'Ballad of Seodong', 'Yi San', 'Dong Yi', the 'King’s Doctor', (only 'the Flower in Prison' i gave up half way....). how i wish Lee Byeong Heon should hem Ruler. will try to find Memoirs of Lady Hyegyeong, but that Memoirs are going along the common understanding that Sado was gone mad and kill people, at least this is what Lady Hyegyeong need to do to survive isn't it?

@maryofbethany

how i wish Lee Byeong Heon should hem Ruler.  "

At 73 years old, it is most unlikely. For the 50 episode Flower in Prison, he had 2 assistant PD to assist him.

33043473036_d2c1dd7d81_n.jpg

PD Lee Byeong Heon's autograph, he visit this restaurant Ka Hwe Ri Hoes Jib (카훼리 횟집) Hoes Jin (횟집) is a sashimi centred restaurant in Jeju-do August 2008 while I did it in June 2011 for Da Geum Ba Ri (다금바리, Saw Edged Perch, in Japanese Ara) Hoe ( 회 or 활어회, Sashimi)

2236734C5453140C047FA9

Spoiler

32958712331_efe89d4789_n.jpg

My Da Geum Ba Ri (다금바리, Saw Edged perch) platter

5 hours ago, gerrytan8063 said:

@maryofbethany

how i wish Lee Byeong Heon should hem Ruler.  "

At 73 years old, it is most unlikely. For the 50 episode Flower in Prison, he had 2 assistant PD to assist him.

PD Lee Byeong Heon's autograph, he visit this restaurant Ka Hwe Ri Hoes Jib (카훼리 횟집) Hoes Jin (횟집) is a sashimi centred restaurant in Jeju-do August 2008 while I did it in June 2011 for Da Geum Ba Ri (다금바리, Saw Edged Perch, in Japanese Ara) Hoe ( 회 or 활어회, Sashimi)

Reveal hidden contents

My Da Geum Ba Ri (다금바리, Saw Edged perch) platter

@gerrytan8063 no wonder 'Flower' pale in comparison to the first few dramas, since it is likely not fully by him running the engine...... eg. DaeJG., Dongyi. YiSan....etc. even the Horse Doctor not so good, but still better. again, i am still worry about Ruler. unknown writer, plus Son Hyeong Seok did Shine or be Crazy (seriously? he hem Ruler?) but Two Weeks was fine, and his Personal Taste wasn't my Son Yejin's best either. So, we must PRAY!

btw, gerrytan, you must be starstruck? hahah. he's a Legend in Kdrama - Producer/Director realm....

18 hours ago, maryofbethany said:

@gerrytan8063 no wonder 'Flower' pale in comparison to the first few dramas, since it is likely not fully by him running the engine...... eg. DaeJG., Dongyi. YiSan....etc. even the Horse Doctor not so good, but still better. again, i am still worry about Ruler. unknown writer, plus Son Hyeong Seok did Shine or be Crazy (seriously? he hem Ruler?) but Two Weeks was fine, and his Personal Taste wasn't my Son Yejin's best either. So, we must PRAY!

I thought Son hyeong seok wasn't the director anymore, but replaced by two directors as a collaborative work. That's why I thought MBC really is preparing for Ruler, I think they are planning Ruler as one of their "to be greatest" work.. I cannot remember where I read it. But I'm sure the director was replaced.

3 hours ago, akausagi said:

I thought Son hyeong seok wasn't the director anymore, but replaced by two directors as a collaborative work. That's why I thought MBC really is preparing for Ruler, I think they are planning Ruler as one of their "to be greatest" work.. I cannot remember where I read it. But I'm sure the director was replaced.

@akausagi according to wiki.. it is still written by Park Hye Jin, and directed by Son Hyeong Seok.  anyway i went to the 'Eng site of MBC and sent an email .. asking for info from MBC.. nothing beat info from the horse's mouth... hopefully they get a real veteran in sensible serious saeguk ...

22 hours ago, Jelly Filan Safi said:

ps2: I've wonder are the girls in hanbok above acting in the drama. I hope not. Why? I don't know whether they are actor or not, but their hanbok and hairstyle is too modern! They're pretty but ARE NOT SUIT TO A SAGEUK DRAMA! I'm really want to see such a beautiful hanbok like ones in Joseon Magician, the Throne or other drama like Dae Jang Geum, Dong Yi, The Moon Embracing The Sun,.... Please!!

those girls are not actors in Ruler, they just travel there for fun. As they see the notice board and know that the place they visit is the  shooting site of Ruler, they wander around  wishing to see Yoo Seung Ho but doesn't see him in the end.

23 hours ago, maryofbethany said:

@akausagi according to wiki.. it is still written by Park Hye Jin, and directed by Son Hyeong Seok.  anyway i went to the 'Eng site of MBC and sent an email .. asking for info from MBC.. nothing beat info from the horse's mouth... hopefully they get a real veteran in sensible serious saeguk ...

This according to wiki.d-addicts, Oh and two screepwriters as well :D I remember reading this news on instagram mentioning that it was annonce on Ruler's Naver page :rolleyes:

Production Credits

@Berou I noticed it too, sometimes they are late in updating their infos, so I rely on different comparisons between my researches and of course to more knowledgeable people like yourself :lol: hahaha. Anyways, I just saw that update of Yoo Seung Ho, and I thought it is from an old photoshoot because it is written in korean.. haha, i'm impressed it is really hard to find updates of YSH. Thanks for sharing chingu :tongue: 

Archived