I guess, we haven't had a thread like this before. I also hope that a placed it on the right forum.

Anyway, this thread is dedicated for those who are interested in the broader aspect of Korean media. Its sole purpose is to update people about the latest in Korean media, including analysis, market insights, etc. 

Last week, I read about an article about the status of the four General Cable channels (a.k.a Jongpyeon Channels).

http://www.mediatoday.co.kr/?mod=news&act=articleView&idxno=128829

MBN came first among all the jongpyeon channels, followed by Channel A, then TV Chosun. The first three channels outrated JTBC by a huge margin, sometimes, MBN gets twice the ratings of JTBC. 

The overall ratings might be good on these three. However, according to the article, the three stations are lagging behind in terms of the 20~49 group. The age group that is important for advertisers. JTBC came first in this age group, sometimes even beating the ratings of the other three Jongpyeon channels combined. 

It was also revealed in this article that although the three Jongpyeon channel get high overall ratings, it didn't actually helped in terms of their ad sales. And despite the fact the JTBC is the last among all jongpyeon channels in overall ratings, they got huge ad sales in 2014, with the help of their huge ratings in the demo group. (Though it stated that JTBC also has the highest deficit among all jongpyeon channels because of their investment in Drama and entertainment programs)

I only understand a few about the article.   I hope someone can translate the full article for us.

Archived