[Thai BL Series 2016-2018] SOTUS The Series S1 & S2 พี่ว้ากตัวร้ายกับนายปีหนึ่ง

WeLoveSoompi

I'm in the middle of rewatching episode 2 right now. I just reached the name tag part. It's interesting watching it again now that I've read chapter 4. I always end up getting confused between the book and the series with a lot of shows about the varying timelines and details :P (as in I can't always remember if it happened that way in the book or in the series :sweatingbullets:),but with Sotus I'll probably reread these chapters multiple times and go back and watch old episodes again so maybe that won't happen as much :lol: Actually that also didn't happen with Love Sick for me, but I was very obsessed with that series/novel too so... 

Anyways, I'm really curious to find out about which parts of the series that I've seen so far is different from the book. I think it'll be interesting to see which scenes were added in or take place at different points in the story. So far we've just had Arthit's perspective so I'm excited to see what Kong thinks! Oh yeah does the "wai scene" with Prem and Wad happen in the book? I just watched that scene in ep 2 where it occurs before the name tag scene. Btw I loved how Arthit reacted to Kongpob's eyes and the way Kong decided to handle the nametag situation in chapter 4. I'm about to watch that part now again in the series!! Arthit's thoughts are definitely gonna be running through my mind as I watch Krist ^^

Sorry this post ended up being longer than intended :sweatingbullets: ...I ramble too much :blink:

• Like 6

Guest delightful
2 hours ago, sing2krist said:

Sadly, i get to be where you're at.  And more unfortunately, Krist is really actually closer to TopTap that even their colleagues teased Krist of them 'fooling around'  - as it seemed that they're familiar with the one asking that question during the GMMA live chat, per @delightful's sub.  So, that's one part of SOTUS fantasy that I had to deal and let go the soonest - i.e. the thrill of the progression of Arthit and Kongpob's relationship did not really transcend into Krist and Singto's. If anything, Krist+Singto was still a complementary fan-service, but as far as friendship goes, Krist had it more with TopTap than with Singto. Just the reality of things.

Again, this incidentally spoiled any thrills on that aspect looking forward to next episodes.  Hoping to reinforce some excitement though by the time E9 gets to air, all for Singto's Kongpob.  But definitely, any SOTUS-related fan-fictions and even the novel translations (sorry @delightful) already lost their appeal to me, cause I can not satisfactorily dissociate Krist with his shadow/clone from the Arthit character whenever I attempted to read them. :(

Hide contents

O0aRjNu.png

and these sealed it. :(

Hide contents

z7ZvQGE.png

Hide contents

mdcuLZd.png

Let it go, let it go, let it go...

Oh don't be sorry towards me, I have no gain or loss. Just because I enjoy seeing Krist and Singto doesn't mean anyone else needs to see it that way. And I really do like Toptap too, he's such a sweet looking guy. I can't wait for him to show up in SOTUS, I'm sure his chemistry with Krist will be awesome as best friends. I'm also looking forward to him being in Secret Love : My Lil Boy, don't know who he'll play as, but I hope he ends up with someone.

2 hours ago, dreadaeleonkvothe said:

That's good that you've gotten a lot better! :) 

Haha I'm trying to imagine Phun as Arthit but it's not working! He really is too soft spoken! And the other problem is that every time he looks at Noh his expression is so sweet that I can't picture a grumpy/scowly face (at least not to the extent of Krist's cute grumpy Arthit face lol). It's fun though trying to imagine them in that type of senior/junior or hazer/freshman type situation :lol: But I just can't take the situation seriously with them because they won't stick to their roles (Arthit/Kong) in my imagination! White keeps being too Phun and Captain too Noh LOL (does that even make sense?). 

I know what you mean! Trust me, I really do! But I think White could pull it off if he can learn to shout. He has the mean and annoyed face down, I watched a bit of his acting in War of High School... the only problem is.. he doesn't talk in there. LOL!!!!

Translation update: Chapter 5 is seriously VERY long!!!!!!!!!!! But I'm so happy because they're starting to feel weird towards each other. Almost done!!!

Guest delightful
2 hours ago, tailor314 said:

I do know guys who exclusively top or bottom so it's not like that's just a media dramatization of BL relationships...Sure, plenty of guys are vers but maybe that's not true in this case. And who's to say straight-themed entertainment doesn't have "top/bottom" roles implied (aka: personalities of dom!woman with sub!man, etc.) anyway, no need to scoff at it.

I think there are lots of different types of people in this world, what we see now, 'straight' and LGBT communities might not cover all the gender identities that people feel. So to me, it's how an individual perceives the material/story handed to them. I think that's what Bittersweet's intentions were by not saying who is top or who is bottom or vice versa, it's however we want to take it. I think that's where most of our 'somewhat' serious topics come from on this forum. We all come from different backgrounds and were raised by different social settings, so of course we wouldn't all see eye to eye on everything. To me, I repeat this is only to me, SOTUS was written and filmed targeting the 'sao Y/girl Y' audience which I identify myself with. Now, this doesn't make my views any better than any other members here, but at least I hope this shows where my view point is from. I am always glad to read comments like yours and any other people's comments, if they are given with no malicious intentions like yours. ;)

Ok, it's driving me nuts seeing these scenes from upcoming episodes that haven't aired yet. I understand the hiatus, and can only take solace in the knowledge that when the show resumes it'll be such a good feeling!

Specifically, I'm talking about the video that @cloudacha81 shared... Such a great video - thanks for sharing! :D

Spoiler

• Like 9

10 hours ago, shintutmiut said:

bad boy in the flesh lmao :D

if I catch a guy staring at me like that, i'd be dead already :phew:

You took the words right out of my mouth - if I turned and saw him looking at me like that - I'd be putty in his hands. This is so unlike me... what is going on???  :wub:

• Like 4

10 hours ago, delightful said:

. And the most important thing, I know Bittersweet never confirmed, but from all the materials we have we know Kongpope is the 'seme' in the relationship...

I thought Bittersweet and the novel made it clear that there isn't a seme/uke relationship, it's a 'real life' like relationship rather than one forced to fit a heteronormative idea of same-sex relationships. I realise that the characteristics of the couple 'fit' the idea of 'seme/uke' but since the author didn't make that explicit connection I feel like we should probably respect that. Just my two cents though. :) 

Edited: Not trying to start another heated discussion though, I just admired the author's decision not to make it explicit. I do have issues with the way some Yaoi fans seem to think about 'uke's' (and sometimes how they are portrayed) - as if they are somehow not manly. I think this particularly evident when people talk about semes and say they don't want them to bottom (Why is that the case, exactly?). As much as I love BL, the disregard bothers me (as does the rape = love trope that we see too often). 

• Like 9

25 minutes ago, baw74 said:

Ok, it's driving me nuts seeing these scenes from upcoming episodes that haven't aired yet. I understand the hiatus, and can only take solace in the knowledge that when the show resumes it'll be such a good feeling!

Specifically, I'm talking about the video that @cloudacha81 shared... Such a great video - thanks for sharing! :D

Hide contents

video geo blocked damn :(

• Like 3

Guest delightful
18 minutes ago, lolalarue said:

I thought Bittersweet and the novel made it clear that there isn't a seme/uke relationship, it's a 'real life' like relationship rather than one forced to fit a heteronormative idea of same-sex relationships. I realise that the characteristics of the couple 'fit' the idea of 'seme/uke' but since the author didn't make that explicit connection I feel like we should probably respect that. Just my two cents though. :) 

Edited: Not trying to start another heated discussion though, I just admired the author's decision not to make it explicit. I do have issues with the way some Yaoi fans seem to think about 'uke's' (and sometimes how they are portrayed) - as if they are somehow not manly. I think this particularly evident when people talk about semes and say they don't want them to bottom (Why is that the case, exactly?). As much as I love BL, the disregard bothers me (as does the rape = love trope that we see too often). 

I will try my best to remember that too, if you read my earlier posts about this topic I was always on the 'no seme/uke' side, but translating the GMM live chat kind of changed my mind. I understand your frustration now and thank you for pointing it out in this manner. I will seriously try my hardest to remember, but you know that I'm bound to slip, because of my over thinking, I tend to write/say stuff without focus. So if I do slip please kindly remind me again, okay? ;)

Oh, please don't get me started on the 'rape' issues in straight or gay themed movies/dramas. I seriously can't even start to excuse myself for allowing it to be 'normal' in the materials I used to watch. *slaps self*

Translation is done. Now... editing... -_-

8 minutes ago, delightful said:

I will try my best to remember that too, if you read my earlier posts about this topic I was always on the 'no seme/uke' side, but translating the GMM live chat kind of changed my mind. I understand your frustration now and thank you for pointing it out in this manner. I will seriously try my hardest to remember, but you know that I'm bound to slip, because of my over thinking, I tend to write/say stuff without focus. So if I do slip please kindly remind me again, okay? ;)

Oh, please don't get me started on the 'rape' issues in straight or gay themed movies/dramas. I seriously can't even start to excuse myself for allowing it to be 'normal' in the materials I used to watch. *slaps self*

Translation is done. Now... editing... -_-

It's very hard not to buy into the 'seme/uke' set up, especially when the actors are contributing their own opinions! Plus the tsundere male lead and the flirty younger guy dynamic is so adorable its hard not to ascribe those roles because they fit perfectly the 'type'. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I certainly don't want to police anyone's behaviour or make them feel bad. As I said before I just really liked that SOTUS wasn't explicitly  seme/uke because I feel that concept is more reflective of real life gay relationships.

Yaoi/BL is targeted to young straight women (as far as I'm aware anyway) and I can't help but sometimes compare myself to Pang (Lovesick) in my own excitement for BL stuff. I love BL/Yaoi but I do think it applies heteronormative ideas of gender dynamics (where the uke = woman) and I feel like the idea that penetration as somehow making the uke 'lesser' evidences a (probably subconscious) bias against both women and gay men, which I really (obviously) reject. I should also emphasize I don't object to 'Seme/Uke' roles so much as the idea that the bottom is 'less than' the top. In fact I love seeing the pushy bottom played out (I think Mick from OhmMick is a pushy bottom - and he is adorable!). 

Anyway I also want to say @delightful I wasn't intentionally calling you out! I hope it didn't come across that way, it was just something that I wanted to say and your post gave context. I love all your work and your insights so please don't feel pressured by me or my opinion. :) Thank you for your translations and your hard work. 

• Like 4

Guest delightful
23 minutes ago, lolalarue said:

It's very hard not to buy into the 'seme/uke' set up, especially when the actors are contributing their own opinions! Plus the tsundere male lead and the flirty younger guy dynamic is so adorable its hard not to ascribe those roles because they fit perfectly the 'type'. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I certainly don't want to police anyone's behaviour or make them feel bad. As I said before I just really liked that SOTUS wasn't explicitly  seme/uke because I feel that concept is more reflective of real life gay relationships.

Yaoi/BL is targeted to young straight women (as far as I'm aware anyway) and I can't help but sometimes compare myself to Pang (Lovesick) in my own excitement for BL stuff. I love BL/Yaoi but I do think it applies heteronormative ideas of gender dynamics (where the uke = woman) and I feel like the idea that penetration as somehow making the uke 'lesser' evidences a (probably subconscious) bias against both women and gay men, which I really (obviously) reject. I should also emphasize I don't object to 'Seme/Uke' roles so much as the idea that the bottom is 'less than' the top. In fact I love seeing the pushy bottom played out (I think Mick from OhmMick is a pushy bottom - and he is adorable!). 

Anyway I also want to say @delightful I wasn't intentionally calling you out! I hope it didn't come across that way, it was just something that I wanted to say and your post gave context. I love all your work and your insights so please don't feel pressured by me or my opinion. :) Thank you for your translations and your hard work. 

See, that's where I think my perspective is different from a lot of people's. I don't see that being an 'uke' or 'getting penetrated' as being 'lesser', I actually have more fondness/respect for the 'uke' than anyone else. To me.. for a 'man' like Arthit, who claims he wouldn't ever fall for another man besides Kongpope, to let Kongpope do those things to him just shows how great his love is. And to me that's very powerful, there's nothing to be 'ashamed' or feel that it's 'lesser' in any way. Am I weird? Am I the only one that thinks about it this way?

And thank you for your kind words! I don't mind a nice discussion every now and then as long as we respect each other's views. I always feel that there's two sides .. or maybe more to everyone's story. ;)

28 minutes ago, delightful said:

See, that's where I think my perspective is different from a lot of people's. I don't see that being an 'uke' or 'getting penetrated' as being 'lesser', I actually have more fondness/respect for the 'uke' than anyone else. To me.. for a 'man' like Arthit, who claims he wouldn't ever fall for another man besides Kongpope, to let Kongpope do those things to him just shows how great his love is. And to me that's very powerful, there's nothing to be 'ashamed' or feel that it's 'lesser' in any way. Am I weird? Am I the only one that thinks about it this way?

And thank you for your kind words! I don't mind a nice discussion every now and then as long as we respect each other's views. I always feel that there's two sides .. or maybe more to everyone's story. ;)

You're not alone gal! I found my kindred spirit LOL and that's the very reason why i always fall for the 'uke' characters in every BL i read or watch as long as they aren't displayed too timidly and can stand for themselves. As long as they're consentual to it and that's just show how much they love each other :)

• Like 6

Guest delightful
22 minutes ago, ma5querade said:

You're not alone gal! I found my kindred spirit LOL and that's the very reason why i always fall for the 'uke' characters in every BL i read or watch as long as they aren't displayed too timidly and can stand for themselves. As long as they're consentual to it and that's just show how much they love each other :)

I agree, especially with both of them consenting to the love making. I get that one of them can be a little shy at first, but in the end they need to show that they are both willing participants. Like LS, where Phun is usually the one that initiates it and Noh sort of pushes him away, but when it's time Noh is actually more than willing. That little push/pull is kind of like foreplay... Noh knows exactly what he's doing. I'm fine with that kind of playing, but sometimes we get the stronger/more aggressive seme that always pins down the weaker uke, that's where the line needs to be drawn. It's not okay to romanticize rape or anything close to it.

I don't think we'll get anything like that in SOTUS, I am so glad for that. From the little clip of them 'almost' kissing, it looks like both Kongpope and Arthit are MORE THAN WILLING... *wink-wink* :heart:

5 hours ago, sing2krist said:

Sadly, i get to be where you're at.  And more unfortunately, Krist is really actually closer to TopTap that even their colleagues teased Krist of them 'fooling around'  - as it seemed that they're familiar with the one asking that question during the GMMA live chat, per @delightful's sub.  So, that's one part of SOTUS fantasy that I had to deal and let go the soonest - i.e. the thrill of the progression of Arthit and Kongpob's relationship did not really transcend into Krist and Singto's. If anything, Krist+Singto was still a complementary fan-service, but as far as friendship goes, Krist had it more with TopTap than with Singto. Just the reality of things.

Dop1WB3.png

Again, this incidentally spoiled any thrills on that aspect looking forward to next episodes.  Hoping to reinforce some excitement though by the time E9 gets to air, all for Singto's Kongpob.  But definitely, any SOTUS-related fan-fictions and even the novel translations (sorry @delightful) already lost their appeal to me, cause I can not satisfactorily dissociate Krist with his shadow/clone from the Arthit character whenever I attempted to read them. :(

Hide contents

O0aRjNu.png

and these sealed it. :(

Reveal hidden contents

z7ZvQGE.png

Reveal hidden contents

mdcuLZd.png

Let it go, let it go, let it go...

oooooooohhhh your post stabbed my heart - deep! =( =( =(

with Krist's caption on IG "You'll always know when the right person walks into your life" - I don't know what else to think =((

I mean, if it will come down to this, they should've just casted Toptap as Kongpope... I know and I would have to agree with delightful, Toptap doesn't fit the character but seeing all this, I just couldn't help but be sad and disappointed.

I had the same experience with the Bad Romance series when I noticed that Max has a girl. I found out on IG (it has always been IG and Yt as my source of information and I'm happy that I've stumbled upon forums such as this so I can gain more info) and I brought that up as a comment on Youtube. I was accused of being a bad fan because I'm bringing up controversies, I mean, can you blame me?! Max is being paired with Tul so of course, fans/viewers will be curious and will expect more from them. That's when I found out and eventually, some people has mentioned that that is indeed his gf...that's when I stopped watching the series.

But, I know it's they're own lives, we can't dictate on them but just a piece of advice, if they have pair-ups for shows etc. they should've been more discreet in flaunting who they're really going out with. It makes the fans disappointed. It's like were going in a roller coaster of emotions. Just to be clear, I have nothing against Kris, Toptap or Sing. I mean, at this point, I can't help but think Kris and Toptap really are in a relationship but someone here mentioned that Kris has a gf??! I don't know what to think now, I'm confused... this mixture of pair-ups (in the series and in real life) is messing me up.

Like you said, that's a one part (and a big part that is) of the Sotus fantasy that we have to deal with... Sigh (I'm a bit sad now)

Let it go...let it go... =(((((

• Like 4

For me I cant imagine anybody else acting as Arthit and Kongpob. I know that sounds typical but to me personally when I read @delightful's translations the way the characters are talked about fit those two for me. For me it doesn't matter if they are or aren't joint at the hip in real life; in fact if they aren't it just makes it more impressive that they're able to show so much chemistry in Sotus (they are super talented at acting jfc I feel so blessed). BUT we are all entitled to our own opinions and we all have our own different ways of appreciating and viewing dramas which there is nothing wrong with. I just wanted to throw my opinion in there as well.

• Like 12

Guest delightful
47 minutes ago, eliseaplus. said:

For me I cant imagine anybody else acting as Arthit and Kongpob. I know that sounds typical but to me personally when I read @delightful's translations the way the characters are talked about fit those two for me. For me it doesn't matter if they are or aren't joint at the hip in real life; in fact if they aren't it just makes it more impressive that they're able to show so much chemistry in Sotus (they are super talented at acting jfc I feel so blessed). BUT we are all entitled to our own opinions and we all have our own different ways of appreciating and viewing dramas which there is nothing wrong with. I just wanted to throw my opinion in there as well.

*Hugs eliseaplus tightly* It's okay, darling. To me if Krist is Arthit then there can only be one Kongpope and that is Singto. He went through the casting and he was the best choice in the director/producer/author's eyes. And so far I haven't seen any problem with Singto's performance. We all have different opinions, we just have to accept that. We need to know that actors have a private life and a public life. Krist may have a girlfriend that he has been dating for 4-5 years, Singto might also have one. Krist and Toptap may be best friends in real life, Singto may be closer to another friend, but when we watch SOTUS there is only Krist and Singto as Arthit and Kongpope.  ;)

18 minutes ago, ogashev said:

oooooooohhhh your post stabbed my heart - deep! =( =( =(

with Krist's caption on IG "You'll always know when the right person walks into your life" - I don't know what else to think =((

I mean, if it will come down to this, they should've just casted Toptap as Kongpope... I know and I would have to agree with delightful, Toptap doesn't fit the character but seeing all this, I just couldn't help but be sad and disappointed.

I had the same experience with the Bad Romance series when I noticed that Max has a girl. I found out on IG (it has always been IG and Yt as my source of information and I'm happy that I've stumbled upon forums such as this so I can gain more info) and I brought that up as a comment on Youtube. I was accused of being a bad fan because I'm bringing up controversies, I mean, can you blame me?! Max is being paired with Tul so of course, fans/viewers will be curious and will expect more from them. That's when I found out and eventually, some people has mentioned that that is indeed his gf...that's when I stopped watching the series.

But, I know it's they're own lives, we can't dictate on them but just a piece of advice, if they have pair-ups for shows etc. they should've been more discreet in flaunting who they're really going out with. It makes the fans disappointed. It's like were going in a roller coaster of emotions. Just to be clear, I have nothing against Kris, Toptap or Sing. I mean, at this point, I can't help but think Kris and Toptap really are in a relationship but someone here mentioned that Kris has a gf??! I don't know what to think now, I'm confused... this mixture of pair-ups (in the series and in real life) is messing me up.

Like you said, that's a one part (and a big part that is) of the Sotus fantasy that we have to deal with... Sigh (I'm a bit sad now)

Let it go...let it go... =(((((

:tears::wub:  with u - really big, big time!!!  It's an inevitable bittersweet roller-coaster of emotions for us fans to contend with, with what could've been an escapist indulgence. Lot's of other fans might have the tendency to call-out, oftentimes posture as having better-handle-than-thou stance, but it's one reality I personally won't deny.  Not everyone will have an auto-switch or easy way out in handling specially the attendant disappointments in this indulgence.  As consumers, it's still our prerogative to expect, express, hope, hang-on, or just give up or let go within the conditions of what's preferred and what's not. It's a process and continuing exercise to hold on to our sanity and decency, limiting if not balancing our preferred expectations from what's being on offer against out-rightly getting in the way of the lives of our supported personalities.

So it may either seemed cruel or masochistic, at this point of my SOTUS patronage, I command myself to process-through these stages of (non Krist+Singto) grief :lol::lol::(:  => (1) shock and denial;  (2) pain & guilt;  (3) anger and bargaining; (4) depression, reflection, loneliness; (5) the upward turn;  (6) reconstruction and working through; and (7) acceptance and hope.  I guess, I'm easing out now from (3) with bits of the rest thrown in.  :)

Penultimate hope will be for more successes for Singto, and that he'll gonna have a more fulfilling partnership - preferably swinging still on the BL-way, more so with that prospect whom I sort of have him having a very tactile sensual-tension with :vicx:...

• Like 1