Are these good questions to ask when conversing/flirting?

Crunchyrunchy

So for example, lets hypothetically say that I meet a girl who came from a poor financial background and has a lot of siblings. Are these questions good to facilitate a conversation with:

1. How did the struggle with finances and money affect your everyday life? Did you stress a lot about what was going to happen in the future?

2. How did you personally deal with having little to no money available? What do you usually do for fun in that case?

3. With so many siblings living with you, how do you managed to have privacy?

4. Personally, was it hard for you to deal with financial issues that surrounded you?

These are some of the basic questions that I can think of. I know that open-ended questions stimulate conversation, and being interested in the person you are talking to GOES a long way to getting them to like you. Empathy goes a long way from what I have read and I been trying to find ways to apply it.

if these are questions you want answers for, and you feel comfortable asking them, then why not.

personally, id only ask question 3. and i wouldnt phrase it that studiously. its suppose to be a casual conversation. not a personal interview of their lives.

I agree with @zantac_2 that question 3 is probably the only one that I would ask, unless she feels comfortable with talking about it. There are plenty of other things to talk about other than things that related to her financial background, depends on how well you know them; some people might take it the wrong way, I would stay away from that topic unless you know for sure she's comfortable in talking about it. I can't agree on "empathy goes a long way" part either, maybe because I'm just more of a logical type person; some people might confuse empathy with pity and in that case bringing about the topic and "empathizing" with them could make them feel worse than what they began with, you have to look at it from the optimistic point of view. There are billion other questions to ask to keep the conversation going or make it interesting, ask her what she likes to do, her hobbies, her dreams/dream job etc etc and if you guys have any similar interest (liking the same sports or something), try to plan an event together for future meetings. The only reason why I would advise taking precaution when asking too many questions involving her financial background is I don't know how long you've known each other and I don't know anything about the girl either so you can't tell whether or not she would be comfortable or slightly offended if you do ask the question.

To be honest, I wouldn't ask any of those questions, I don't know if it is a British thing, but money is a really taboo subject to talk about here. Also all those questions are so serious! Try talking about something fun, like if she could have any superpower what would it be - very lame question but actually I have seen it work so many times!

Guest severus

Nah, talk to girls the DJ Khaled way. 

"You smart. You smart. You genius. You loyal. I appreciate you. We the best. I take the hinges off the doors and put the hinges in the fuckboys hands."

Wow... if these are the questions you're going to ask, that hypothetical girlfriend will remain just that: hypothetical.

I've been around a bit and I've found no country or home where it's okay to talk about their financial difficulties if you're not really deep into that family. And by then, you already know about those problems so you don't need to ask.

There are SO many things to talk about. The lack of financial wealth isn't one of them.
Talk about music, movies, tv, actors, singers, idols, school, work, what you had for dinner, what you dreamt about, what flowers you like, that time a fly went up your nose and you swallowed but it came back out through your mouth but you didn't notice and bit it. Hell, you can even talk about the color or your poo this morning!
But don't go there. Whatever way you will spin it, it will always come out as "Look at me, I did grow up (fairly) wealthy and I'm caring about poor persons like you but I honestly don't look down on you. No, really! I just want to know what your life was like since I didn't experience that and I'm SOOOOOO curious!". But not in a good way.

I am unsure if you are trolling us or honestly want feedback.

Strictly speaking, I don't think it is polite to ask these questions to someone you have just met or do not know well. Instead I would focus on her, what she like to do, how she likes to spend her time and her interests. If she brings up the topic about her poor financial situation, then you may ask her questions about it. Otherwise anything related to money, politics or religion would be a no go.

Archived