[Drama 2016] Moon Lovers ❤ Scarlet Heart Ryeo, 달의 연인-보보경심 려 \^0^/ Soompi Kdrama 2016 Winner

Admin

7 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

I'm not sure if anyone is interested in reading anymore  analysis of the show now that it's all over. I can see that many of us are suffering withdrawals to some degree or another. I don't know how many times I've watched the entire sequence starting from when So finds out that Su's dead to when he takes her ashes back to the prayer pagoda. The angst.. the sobbing... I just can't get enough of it. Honestly, I wish we had more. I know I'm practically insane... and I must be because I walked into a popular drama blog and 80% of the comments told me that this drama was rubbish. 

Sorry to cut your post but when I saw you write this...I was just so relieved.

I thought I was the only one who was doing this. I don't know if it's just LJG's acting in this entire sequence or if I just like to watch depressing scenes over and over.

But I am very happy I am not alone in doing this.

• Like 18

I know it is posted it here but i want to repost it. Feeling so proud of you guys!  Manse eclipsers! 

Scarlet Heart: Ryeo -> twitted: 

Guys!!! OMG!! The #MoonLovers fan support video message we made was in a Korean news!!!! Can't believe it!!!! m.entertain.naver.com/read?oid=312&a…

• Like 7

1 hour ago, briseis said:

But that whole "CONSUMATION" is illogical and it makes absolutely no narrative sense whatsover. It ruins So's whole character development . THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO REACTION FROM WS AFTERWARDS! WS has had always strong reactions because he feels so much and cares so much, even after he killed those monks he suffered from guilt, after he learned about BA leaving his side,…BUT NOW THERE IS NOTHING. Remember how guilty and unhappy he was WHEN HE MARRIED MOO’S DAUGHTER?! THIS IS A MAN WHO FELT GUILTY AND WAS READY TO LET HS GO BECAUSE HE WAS FORCED TO MARRY A CHILD! And he only sent her to nunnery and now WE ARE SUPPOSED TO BELIEVE THAT AFTER “CHEATING” ON HS HE WOULDN’t SUFFER FROM ANY GUILT?! That he wouldn’t let her go?! After everything we’ve seen in those 18 previous episodes, how are the viewers supposed to believe he would actualy do this to HS when he promised to be only hers, when he promised her she is his only queen?! That’s the reason why I absolutely do not accept that there was any kind of consumation between them. HOW ELSE DO YOU EXPLAIN 4+ years WITHOUT A CHILD (it’s 951 now, and their son was born in November 955). Finally, there have been so many wolf parallels, one of them being that a wold remains loyal to one mate until death (which is what Yo told to So after Moo's death). Actually, the truth is that wolves find new mates after their mates die.The writer had it all set up so why not to exploit this strange occurance. Because if they did consummate the marriage combined with WS’s lack of any reaction - THIS SCENE HAS JUST SINGLEHANDEDLY DESTROYED WS’S CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT. With this scen the writer would undermine everything she undermined herself, losing all credibility.

I am not entirely sure when the scene of the shared image took place. However, there could be two explanations for it.

1. It happened after Hae Soo left the palace to marry Jung. In this case Wang So already felt betrayed by his lover, thinking she actually succumbed to a real marriage with his brother (including sharing a bed). Since he didn’t know her reasoning until after her death it could have been an act of defiance. After all she rejected his proposal, didn’t want to be claimed as his lover in any way anymore and agreed to marry Jung in a way that must have been shockingly cruel to him.

2. It was a longer time after Soo's death. He had to fulfill his duties as the king and he already knew he could never have an official heir to his throne with her.

EDIT: From his later encounter with Yeonhwa we can understand that he indeed has no feelings or whatsoever for his official wife and son. It leads me to believe that he really only saw them as part of his work as a king.

I will say this again. As unromantic as it is, producing an heir was something essential a king had to provide. I personally find it horrible, but that’s just the sad truth. Once you become a person of importance (like a king) life is not about your personal wishes anymore but instead about the welfare of a whole nation. This whole drama should have showed us exactly that. We cannot judge his behaviour by our standards. That just doesn't seem fair to a man who lived in a time 1000 years prior to ours.

Wang So has never been the innocent prince with nothing but perfectly adorable behaviour. But that's what I love about him. To me he's one of the most realistic characters I've ever seen in kdrama. He is rough indeed, but he is also very real and I wouldn't have him any other way. I don’t need him to be Moonlight drawn by clouds 2.0... Just my personal opinion.:sweatingbullets:

• Like 18

29 minutes ago, IAmSoulReader said:

Wang So has never been the innocent prince with nothing but perfectly adorable behaviour. But that's what I love about him. To me he's one of the most realistic characters I've ever seen in kdrama. He is rough indeed, but he is also very real and I wouldn't have him any other way. I don’t need him to be Moonlight drawn by clouds 2.0... Just my personal opinion.:sweatingbullets:

Yeah the most consistent thing about Wang So is his pragmatism when he sees no other option. Doesn't mean he doesn't feel regret when he's had to make the tough calls. Like when he threw away Hae Su after Eun's death, he regretted immensely but knew that's what he had to do to gain General Park. This is a similar thing, now that he's married Yeon Hwa to consolidate his powers, he would of course produce an heir. And we already saw in the finale that producing an heir with Yeon Hwa did absolutely nothing for their relationship. It's what Yeon Hwa wanted, Goryeo for her son. But in the process of gaining Goryeo for her son, she would have to have a husband who absolutely despised her and her son. Again, I wanna emphasize that this is a polygamous world. Sex means something wholly different for Wang So than it does for Hae Su. Faithfulness is not something that's built into his upbringing or culture. I could easily see him having sex with other women but still keeping Hae Su as his one true love. Again, this can be true for all different kinds of relationship. Where as sex CAN BE emotional, it can also be functional. There's no reason for him to be to monogamous after Hae Su presumably married and consummated with his brother (WS's impression, not what actually happened). 

20 minutes ago, ruizaio said:

@ShaiKeun I'm sorry, but I don't think you understand my previous post. What I was saying is that DVD sales aren't profitable in Korea because the cost of production is too high and the margin is too low because of the small market in Korea (and you can't rely on international sales when DVD sets are ~$200 and Blu-ray sets are ~$300 USD plus international shipping). Also, if the producers were really planning on making money off of DVD sales, they would have announced it before MLSHR, because most fans would still be following the show and are likely to pay. Once the drama ends, many people move on to new dramas and the interest dies quickly. This is why Korean fans are getting more and more anxious about this whole project because even if they agree now, if the pre-order sale volume doesn't meet a certain goal, the whole production will be canceled. 

If this project doesn't go through, Ji Soo (Wang Jung) has mentioned that the director may be interested in releasing each character's backstory in the form of web dramas. I would much prefer a coherent DVD/Blu-ray set than that with more BTS and blooper reels and a proper commentary and interviews from the main cast. 

Yeah, since streaming took over, DVD sales seem to be in a slump for the last five years. I remember when blu-ray DVD for movies cost nearly $30. That said, I would be happy if they released the SBS edit on Netflix without any of the chyrons or advertising bugs that seems to be all over the place. 

• Like 17

On 11/1/2016 at 2:01 PM, millie10468 said:

Ironically, Go Ha Jin's devastation at the end of the episode, when she remembers So and her love for him, is what finally convinced me of her feelings for him. That she really did love him. She did. I started tearing up (again) when she cried, saying "I'm sorry. I'm sorry I left you alone." I was like, yeah you are. But what is to be done? It's all too late...:bawling::bawling:

I love So. I feel so horrible about how his entire life was a sea of tragedy with sporadic moments of genuine happiness scattered through. His life began when he met Soo. And his life ended when he lost her

@millie10468 Sorry for butchering your post! Those two paragraphs perfectly describe how I felt after ep.20.

• Like 10

41 minutes ago, IAmSoulReader said:

I am not entirely sure when the scene of the shared image took place. However, there could be two explanations for it.

1. It happened after Hae Soo left the palace to marry Jung. In this case Wang So already felt betrayed by his lover, thinking she actually succumbed to a real marriage with his brother (including sharing a bed). Since he didn’t know her reasoning until after her death it could have been an act of defiance. After all she rejected his proposal, didn’t want to be claimed as his lover in any way anymore and agreed to marry Jung in a way that must have been shockingly cruel to him.

2. It was a longer time after Soo's death. He had to fulfill his duties as the king and he already knew he could never have an official heir to his throne with her.

EDIT: From his later encounter with Yeonhwa we can understand that he indeed has no feelings or whatsoever for his official wife and son. It leads me to believe that he really only saw them as part of his work as a king.

I will say this again. As unromantic as it is, producing an heir was something essential a king had to provide. I personally find it horrible, but that’s just the sad truth. Once you become a person of importance (like a king) life is not about your personal wishes anymore but instead about the welfare of a whole nation. This whole drama should have showed us exactly that. We cannot judge his behaviour by our standards. That just doesn't seem fair to a man who lived in a time 1000 years prior to ours.

@IAmSoulReader Thank you!!!

I agree with everything that is in bold.

• Like 10

2 hours ago, briseis said:

But that whole "CONSUMATION" is illogical and it makes absolutely no narrative sense whatsover. It ruins So's whole character development . THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO REACTION FROM WS AFTERWARDS! WS has had always strong reactions because he feels so much and cares so much, even after he killed those monks he suffered from guilt, after he learned about BA leaving his side,…BUT NOW THERE IS NOTHING.

(I couldn´t agree more with your argument). That the red veil-like curtain  drops, like a theater curtain, when YH accepts WS deal does not mean/signifie consummation. The red veil-curtain was the "leitmotif"´- in the form of an object-  of Queen Yoo, representing her complotting character .Now, YH fills  Queen Yoo´s shoes, so this "leitmotif"  (along with the bathpool) passes  "as inheritage" to her character. In this scene, YH is crossing the line of betrayal/complot (she is betraying her brother and her family plotting against them) so the red veil curtain has to be there and has to drop as a final curtain to  her previous life as sister and daughter. Now, she is totally a "Queen Yoo".

• Like 8

3 hours ago, kdramawriter said:

Yeah the most consistent thing about Wang So is his pragmatism when he sees no other option. Doesn't mean he doesn't feel regret when he's had to make the tough calls. Like when he threw away Hae Su after Eun's death, he regretted immensely but knew that's what he had to do to gain General Park. This is a similar thing, now that he's married Yeon Hwa to consolidate his powers, he would of course produce an heir. And we already saw in the finale that producing an heir with Yeon Hwa did absolutely nothing for their relationship. It's what Yeon Hwa wanted, Goryeo for her son. But in the process of gaining Goryeo for her son, she would have to have a husband who absolutely despised her and her son. Again, I wanna emphasize that this is a polygamous world. Sex means something wholly different for Wang So than it does for Hae Su. Faithfulness is not something that's built into his upbringing or culture. I could easily see him having sex with other women but still keeping Hae Su as his one true love. Again, this can be true for all different kinds of relationship. Where as sex CAN BE emotional, it can also be functional. There's no reason for him to be to monogamous after Hae Su presumably married and consummated with his brother (WS's impression, not what actually happened). 

Yeah, since streaming took over, DVD sales seem to be in a slump for the last five years. I remember when blu-ray DVD for movies cost nearly $30. That said, I would be happy if they released the SBS edit on Netflix without any of the chyrons or advertising bugs that seems to be all over the place. 

I'd just quickly like to add that with only 2 official wives  (and one of them even became a nun right away) he almost can be considered an innocent lamb compared to his father. After all they lived in a world where polygamy was perfectly normal to assure the survival of the bloodline. It's history, we all knew that it was bound to happen...

Hae Soo never stood a chance of becoming the queen. She foolishly hoped for a happy ending with Wang So despite knowing the actual history of her nation. However, at some stage she understood that she had to let him go and be king. After all she was a person from the future and his work as the head of the country was needed in order to pave the way for today's Korea.

Wang So's biggest mistake and regrett would have been to believe he could be married to Hae Soo and still keep the crown. Once you become king though there is no turning back. After all you don't take on the bloody battle to get there if you don't seriously believe that your life's devotion is needed for the job. It's just that he realised the consequences far too late. 

Regarding the heir part, however, he always knew it had to be done either way or the other. He didn’t enjoy any of it but it was his responsibility. There was not really anything he could do about it at the end.

Hae Soo and Wang So only had one hope left, that they were indeed soul mates and would meet each other again in another time under better fate. (Otherwise Hae Soo could only have stopped Wang So from becoming king when she had the chance and elope with him. But this would have completely changed history and she wasn’t committed to that thought.)

• Like 21

Regarding Wang So and Yeon Hwa coitus, since he sorta hated her, he might assault her every time it happened? ----> Does that help to make peace with your mind? Idk *cough* I'm fine if he did, ops. sorry.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Gabi Bros said:

This is a response of Jo Min Ki (King Taejo) to the other fansupport project :) 

He said everybody of the cast watched that support video. To our Soompi video project, he said he was very touched. So I think they have seen ours also. :) 

Hail the king

(´∀`*)
  • Like 15