Are there any K-pop songs with great melodies? Honestly?

Guest antares

Guest antares

Okay, years ago I made a similar thread, but back then, I didn't use YouTube for examples to prove my point.  Nowadays I do.

While some Korean pop singers have wonderful voices, if you listen to the pure melodies in Kpop songs especially in the chorus, in terms of songwriting, the melodies are not that memorable compared to american songs like "Wind Beneath My Wings", "A Whole New World" etc.  Or British songs like some of the Beatles songs or Elton John's songs like "Someone Saved My Life Tonight".  Those are songs that you can hum the melody after hearing the song just once, you may not remember the lyrics, but the melodies are so memorable. The choruses have huge, soaring memorable melodies. I guess the appealling thing for people who listen to Kpop is the beautiful voices (and sometimes looks too, come on guys admit it), a beautiful voice can make just practicing a major or minor scale (going up and down the scale) sound great, but really has no bearing on the quality of the melody itself. And by contrast, Bette Midler made that song Wind Beneath My Wings famous but her voice really sucks in my opinion, but the melody is so strong that it doesn't matter.  Same with a lot of Beatles songs, I really can't stand either John or Paul's voices, but the songwriting is what is great!

One test for the melody--does it sound good without a guitar or piano? Does it sound good all by itself acapella?  With absolutely no instruments in the background.  Many of the Beatles songs do, as well as the songs above. That Beatles song “With a little help from my friends,” I can’t remember all the words most times, but man, after just singing the first line of that song, I can hum the whole melody of the song, and it sticks in my brain for like half and hour at least. Everytime...  And it sounds good without any instruments at all, just like "Wind Beneath My Wings"

So let's compare with your examples of Korean songs in your replies--

here's "Wind Beneath my Wings" in my opinion one of the very best melodies ever written:

Remember we are now talking about melodies only, not lyrics, so focus on the melody and be honest.

Here's the Beatles "With a little help from my friends" the original version not Joe Cocker's lame version:

Some other examples of super catchy/memorable melodies "Killing Me Softly" "A Whole New World" "You Light Up My Life"--soaring melodies with wide range from lowest to highest note.

Off the top of my head, of more recent songs, Jason Mraz's "I'm Yours" --I could hum that melody after just one listen, it's so melodic.

So post some examples of Kpop songs that come close melodically/quality-wise to the songs above.  But before you do that, try this experiment with your favorite Kpop song:  with the song NOT playing in the background on the speaker or headphones, try humming the melody of your song acapella, and then do the same thing with the song "Wind Beneath My Wings" and tell me, honestly, which melody is better?

Archived