[Drama 2016] Jang Yeong-Sil 장영실

larus

• Replies 977
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Feeling sad about JYS not being able to get a proper education. I googled and actually males in slave class could have the chance to get elevated to middle people class if they passed the government technical bureaucrats exam, though most of the slave class most would not be able to receive any education. 

1 hour ago, valsava said:

MY DFear Twin Happy New Years I'm So Behind In Everything And Trying TO Get Caught Up Tell mE Have The First Episode Started Yet.. ?

Anyooong my dear twin sister @valsava...miss you, Merry X'Mas and Happy New Year 2016... :heart::heart:

Ep.1 was already started last Saturday...how i wish you will accompany me to watch it LIVE... :P

While i'll be waiting patiently to watch this drama with subs on KBS World... :grin:

Another great review for Ep. 2

[HanCinema's Drama Review] "Jang Yeong-sil - Drama" Episode 2

2016/01/03

photo670390.jpg

As much as Yeong-sil loves science one fact is unassailable- his cultural background is unimpressive. So while other better pedigreed kids in the family study all day, Yeong-sil has to do hard labor and wait until nighttime to do science, which is fortunate because this episode Yeong-sil decides to learn everything he can about the moon. In this case "Jang Yeong-sil - Drama" takes an unusual approach to the scientific method by using it to explain wrong science- specifically, geocentrism.

This makes for interesting material because while it's all fun and games to talk science up as awesome and amazing, the fact remains that for most of human history scientists have gotten lots of basic aspects of the universe wrong. This isn't because they're incompetent, but rather a symptom of how there's only so much that can be done with limited tools. Most of the time it's easier to try and work within the confines of an old theory rather than try to build up a new one from scratch.

Once again, the parallelism to King Taejong is striking. King Taejong obviously wants to improve the state of science in Joseon, but he's completely locked in by Goryeo thinking. Even though King Taejong understands how Goryeo thinking is flawed, he's too used to the framework to be able to give up on it completely. For all his obvious wisdom King Taejong is a rather clueless sovereign. Observe how King Taejong's very manner and bearing is completely terrifying to anyone aside from his children. King Taejong never catches on to this.

It's from this background that "Jang Yeon-sil - Drama" ends up moving on to the adult portion of the story (featuring Song Il-gook) much more quickly than I was expecting. The reason for this is that, as a kid, Yeon-sil is stuck in a rut. Absent of major political reforms there's not very much Yeon-sil can do for the sake of science except continue making calculations at his hideout in his free time.

By the way, kids, that's the kind of cool stuff you can do if you get into science- build super cool mini-fortresses with moving parts and stargazing. I have to say, by the way, that the set design "Jang Yeon-sil" is quite excellent. Whoever's building this stuff knows exactly what they're doing. The editing's pretty sharp too- I love the diagrams. And as for the music- was it just by imagination, or were there bagpipes in there at one point? Very solid stuff.

Review by William Schwartz

Credit : http://www.hancinema.net/hancinema-s-drama-review-jang-yeong-sil--drama-episode-2-90064.html

Some explanation from Episode 1-2 on why Taejong is making a hoo haa over the solar eclipse

Joseon had always maintained a high level of interest in astronomy. Caution & close attention is exercise by the Joseon Kings when a solar eclipse or a comet (symbolised the imminent occurrence of natural disasteror human calamities)

As we known in modern times that time zone are now determined by longitude & at present in the drama when before mechanical clocks were first invented, the most common practice to mark the time of day with apparent solar time (also called "true" solar time) – in the example, the time on a sundial – which was typically different for every settlement.

Solar eclipse was an uninvited & unwelcome guest in the Joseon kingdom, since the sun is lead to symbolised the power of the King (here we see a very agitated Taejong), an eclipse was perceived as heralding a disaster if great magnitude. Whenever Court astronomers predict a solar eclipse, the King & his official donned white robes (a symbol of regret & repentance) & hold ceremony aimed at bringing the occurrence of this "unnatural" phenomenon to a close as possible

Here are some excerpts from the Annals of Joseon Dynasty

On the first day of the year 1422, King Sejong, wearing white royal robes, was seen to beseech the heavens to put a stop to the solar eclipse. Officials followed the king's example. Eventually, the sun reappeared and the king bowed to the heavens four times in gratitude. 

Interestingly an official named Lee Chon Bong was predicted that the eclipse would occur 15 mins earlier than it actually did was later punished with spanking for his micalculation (depicted in the drama Sejong the Great)

In the annals the solar eclipse which took place on Jan 1st 1413, provides a rare insights into the procedure of the Ritual that was designed to neutralise this ominous phenomenon. Taejong was originally scheduled to take part in a ceremony commemorating New Year's Day but having been informed of the impending solar eclipse, he immediately cancelled all his official appointments. Then each province then had to offered horses in the observance of the ritual relate to the solar eclipse. At noon Taejong positioned himself on a designated spot at the courtyard & implore the heavens for an end to the eclipse, which ultimately lasted from 12:45 -15:30, on this occasion, the Royal Astronomers also miscalculated (bearing in mind that the Joseon Astronomers are using Ming Dynasty Astronomy charts for their predictions) & predicted that the eclipse would last until 15:45, the 15 minute error subsequently disputed in court on who was in the wrong

In the annals, during Joseon Dynasty, astronomers recorded the occurrence of 265 solar eclipse & 344 lunar eclipse which suggest that the astronomy practice during the Joseon Dynasty was relatively advanced. Nonetheless, astronomers who made error prediction were subject to punishment such as flogging or imprisonment, suggesting of rigid & naive notion about eclipse

However Sejong demonstrated the possession of a practical attitude towards the accuracy of predictions. In the mid 1430 ordered his official to predict dates & times more accurately. Sejong had said "The inaccurate calculations of the occurrences of the solar & lunar eclipse & heavenly movements is due to the continued dependence on an outmoded astronomical textbook from China. Therefore, we should based our predictions on the newly published book in which is more accurate, in order to reduce errors. In additions records the dates & times of the eclipses even when they are not in accord with predictions. In the future, these records can be used for future adjustments of our predictions"

In 1432, the astronomers predicted an eclipse & yet nothing happened. Unpredictably, Sejong didn't rush to punished the astronomers, instead he check whether an eclipse had taken in any province & waited for Chinese envoys to return for further confirmation

No King was more eager to promote the advancement of science than Sejong the Great, in order to promote the practice of astronomy based on accepted scientific methods, Sejong sent 2 officials Kim Han & Kim Chan An to China to study advance mathematics

21 hours ago, 000231846597 said:

Feeling sad about JYS not being able to get a proper education. I googled and actually males in slave class could have the chance to get elevated to middle people class if they passed the government technical bureaucrats exam, though most of the slave class most would not be able to receive any education. 

I read somewhere that actually Jang Young Sil was not originally a slave.. that's too bad.. Cause his status now could be inherited to his sons and descendants.. Jang young Sil was not originally a slave.. His father was a government official but refuse to serve Joseon so in the end he stayed loyal to goryeo, and same with the other officials were killed and their families were degenerated into slaves.. Then years later,King taejong was looking for a talented men for the government then a magistrate recommended JYS....

14 hours ago, bexyahmed said:

Hi all, I really like historical drama and I make plan to watch this drama but it is worth to watch now or postpone it??

I suggest you to watch this drama RAW if you have leisure time then re-watch it again with us... :blush:

I like the directing, cinematography and acting from all cast, child and adult even though i'm not fully understand the story lines...LOL :w00t::lol:

JYS's father is badmouthing King taejong... Someone who stole the throne and kill his own brothers.. they should be thankful they have a great king rather than a puppet king...his actions of promoting astronomy and his concerns over the solar eclipse seems to be misunderstood by the people.  JYS's father was a friend of KIng taejong??. I like this drama.. it's more modern and everything seems peaceful...I was expecting King Taejong's ruthless personality... but it's not here.. but still it's made me XD at the end of episode 2 when it is stated that Jang Yeong Sil, a slave who became a brilliant scientist under the support of KIng Taejong.. I'm so excited to see how King taejong supported Jang Yeong sil....

Hiii, just wanna give information for you who still looking for english subtitle of jang yeong sil, just check on subscene.com.  I find someone already uploaded it and I think the subs is good :):)

Edit :sorry @badsmuler I dont read your post before. You already informed it. Thank youuu 

Added episodes 1 and 2 captures for the Korean drama 'Jang Yeong-sil - Drama'

2016/01/05

photo670698.jpg

Added episodes 1 and 2 captures for the Korean drama "Jang Yeong-sil - Drama" (2016)

Directed by Kim Yeong-jo

Written by Lee Myeong-hee, Ma Chang-joon

Network : KBS

With Song Il-gook, Kim Sang-kyeong, Kim Young-cheol, Park Seon-yeong, Kim Do-hyun, Son Byeong-ho,...

24 episodes - Sat, Sun 21:40
Synopsis
Born as the child of a mean concubine, during the time when Confusianism was the only order in the world, Jang Yeong-sil was a brilliant scientist whose scientific skills were considered the world's greatest.

Broadcast starting date in Korea : 2016/01/02

photo670697.jpg

photo670696.jpg

photo670695.jpg

More

Archived