[Drama 2015] The Village: Achiara's Secret 마을- 아치아라의 비밀

larus

1 hour ago, cimut said:

To me there is still unsolved case.  I still wondering why KHJ want to find SY address in Canada. Maybe she find another truth Instead of her biological parent.  Is about their parent accident .its may not pure accident at all.  And I think is something related to Assembly Seo or President Noh.  And SY grandma how she ended up died like that. Is still unclear.

Perhaps they want to make season 2. I hope they will, since  we hooked about this drama.

You can find the answer in episode 15, in a conversation between SY and JH.
Our friend,  @baduy very clearly gives us the translation above.
I think, in episode 15 and 16, is where all of our questions were answered.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hide contents

Thank you the writer-nim, PD and all for an excellent drama.
Anyway, can anyone tell me:
How can KHJ know the lumber owner is her father and Jisook is her mother?

She started her journey in Achiara after meeting So Yoon's aunt - she said their parents adopted her from Achiara. Just like So yoon's way, she was participated in a reality show where she met Baby ghost mother and learn about illegal adoption. Then she found Baengi ahjumma as illegal adoption broker in Achiara (through Oh gab soo). She asked her who was her real mother? At first she believe Baengi ahjumma was her mother, thats why she tried to choke her. How she managed to find Ji sook and Joo hee as Baengi ahjumma's daughter, im also not sure. Then she came to Ji sook beg her to save her life. Ji sook denied her relationship with her by showing hysterectomy document of her mother - impossible to have another younger sister after this surgery, 1980. Unexpectedly, Hye jin had done a DNA test using Yoo Na's - they had mother line relationship. Ji sook now in the corner of her own scenario but still rejected to save Hye jin. She seduced Assemblyman Seo to provoke Ji sook - Collecting blood stain and strand of Ji sook's hair after fighting with her.

How she found Nam ahjussi as her father? Ji sook told her the whole story, altough I think she didnt mention his name or his home (Ji sook maybe didnt know either). Hye jin found out by herself. She attended a forum which belong to fabry disease patients and met Nam ahjussi then realized he came from Achiara. She also found Ga young birthmark and asked her who was her real father? She confronted Ga young's mom to tell her the story but rejected. But one thing for sure, this person (the rapist) come from Achiara. With characteristics (maybe Jisook gave to her) the sour and fishy smell also the sound of whistling, I think she started doubting Nam Ahjussi. And at the end she met him personally and showing herself in front of this person everyday as a threat to him to reveal the truth.

Thank you all very much was great reading your thoughts and especially @baduy thank you  for your very insightful comments...i learned so much from you...this drama was so intense...i'm sad that monster was not punished due to the statute of limitation of his crime ...

Hello everyone! :D:D

I personally love this show. It’s nothing outstanding apparently, but a drama doesn’t need to be outstanding (outstandingly good/bad) to be remembered. It’s something different from kdramaland definitely. No loveline between leads, no standard characters like poor heroine/rich jerk, and there are twists and turns at every corner waiting to make you dizzy and confused. At one point I even become confused of everyone’s relationships but the last few eps clear it all.

I’m happy Moon Geun Young take this drama as her comeback drama after 2 years. So Yoon probably is not her best character to date, but it’s definitely something different than her usual roles (Candy girl/poor heroine). She never let me down and she always doing her best. Ah and in The Village finally she turns into a mature woman, no more childish act, but real mature person. Good job, MGY!

Good job too to everyone involved!

:wub::wub:

2 hours ago, gaixixon said:
  Reveal hidden contents

This is the best image of JiSook, the poor woman! I almost cried when witnessed the meeting between Yoona and her mother devided by the prison curtain.

RPUL0Tr.png

Reveal hidden contents

Her whole life is destroyed by the loathing rapist! She deserves a good childhood memory, a better life if the adult in the village treated her and the other victim more human. Because of such harsh treating in the villages, it resulted in Kim Hye Jin's dead and resulted in a serial killer - the agassi.

Her whole life is destroyed by the loathing rapist! She deserves a good childhood memory, a better life if the adult in the village treated her and the other victim more human. Because of such harsh treating in the villages, it resulted in Kim Hye Jin's dead and resulted in a serial killer - the agassi.

KHJ knew that Nam Ahjussi was her father, when they met at the meeting of Fabry disease patients. On the way home, he saw KHJ was walking, then he stopped his car and greeted her.  He said that he came from the village Achiara.

Given that Fabry disease is a rare disease, so when KHJ knew that there was a man from the village Achiara had Fabry disease, she guessed that it was her father. Fabry disease is hereditary disease inherited from the paternal line.

KHJ knew that JS was her mother, after JS showed a letter that her mother (Bengi Ahjumma) get hysterectomy some time ago. It turned out to be a mistake that JS did.
In addition JH also told the same thing on KHJ.

You can read the translation episode 15 from our friend @baduy above (episode 15), conversations between SY and JH. 

Village: Secret of Achiara: Episode 16 (Final)

by javabeans | December 3, 2015 | 17 Comments | 392 votes, average: 4.26 out of 5392 votes, average: 4.26 out of 5392 votes, average: 4.26 out of 5392 votes, average: 4.26 out of 5392 votes, average: 4.26 out of 5 4.26 out of 5 stars (392 votes)

village16-00672a.jpg

Time to say goodbye to Village: Secret of Achiara, which turns out a pretty satisfactory finale episode that not only answers questions of plot but, more importantly, does a good job of reaching emotional closure with our characters as well.

Given that a main character is still dead, perhaps we can’t have a perfectly happy resolution… But if we can’t prevent that death from happening in the first place, next best is giving that life due respect by acknowledging how it really ended, and what that meant to the people closest to her. And perhaps surprisingly, it turns out to have meant more than we might have guessed for some.

http://www.dramabeans.com/2015/12/village-secret-of-achiara-episode-16-final/

Guest tepchuot

After watching the last episode, I really feel I have waste my time for 16 episodes of this drama. So many question not resolve in the last ep, HJ's death is like a play, not contain a super secret that I always hope.  so boring 

1 hour ago, hrkharis said:

KHJ knew that Nam Ahjussi was her father, when they met at the meeting of Fabry disease patients. On the way home, he saw KHJ was walking, then he stopped his car and greeted her.  He said that he came from the village Achiara.

Just a minor detail, but there was a timelapse, and a change of place, there. Nam tells the detective questioning him

"I'd seen that woman once before some years ago at a gathering of Fabry patients. Such a fine young lady, and the sight stayed in my memory."

Then we see a considerably older Nam driving his SUV and spotting Hye Jin from behind on the sidewalk near the village (there's a parallel to the way Hye Jin's former classmate recognized her on the street in Seoul after only a passing glance).

He pulls over to confirm he's recognized her correctly and she recalls him too, saying "Fancy meeting you in this place!" [이런 곳에서 뵙네요 another instance of those hugely important Korean particles, where the 네 turns the verb into an expression of surprise at something unexpected.] He gets out to greet her, remarking on what a small world it is, and she agrees,  before asking him whether he lives here. At which he makes a fatal error parallel to Ji Suk's showing Hye Jin the hysterectomy document, replying "I do indeed, Achiara's my hometown. I like to come back here from time to time." Hye Jin's expression clouds as she responds "You say Achiara is your hometown?" realising she's found the "monster" or rather, the monster has found her without knowing who she really is, but she soon lets him know that in no uncertain terms.

It look like there still some mystery left that i dont understand, like between seo chang kwon and chairman noh. Are they related to khj death or only about some illegal work they had, so thats why chairman noh fake his death, to prevent police track his illegal action.??

And about the person who come to achiara who wears flower pattern shoes, is it just to show us that he's the killer of the man at the butchery??Because he said he has 2pairs, so one he wear and one he put on the dead body..

2 hours ago, gaixixon said:

Not really. A DNA test will prove KHY and Nam is father and daughter, and her mother till then was only 12 or 14 years old. It's enough to put him into jail for having child sex.

I am very possitive with your speculation about the 2nd season. Why?

Why KHJ knew Nam & JS is her mother & father?
What bring her to Achiara?
Who caused the accident and faked the information?
Why SY's grandmom commited suicide?
Why do Noh faked his death?
The butchers' and the man who enter Achiara police station is father and son? (Same shoes).
and so on.. so forth..

What bring her to Achiara?

At the time the accident occurred just two girls who survived, namely So Joong (aka Kim Hye Jin) and So Yoon. Turns out it was revealed that they were not siblings. So Joong was a child who was adopted by So Yoon' parents. 
After the death of their parents, So Yoon' grandmother took So Yoon to live with her in Canada. Meanwhile, So Joong (aka KHJ) put into an orphanage. 

At the beginning of the episode, described how a friend of So Joong (aka Kim Hye Jin) at the orphanage told So Yoon that So Joong always expect a letter from So Yoon who lived in Canada.

One day So Joon left the orphanage, she wanted to find her real family. She knew that her family came from the village Achiara.
In her wanderings looking for her family, she met a mother who had just lost her daughter. Her daughter died by drowning in the river. These mother felt guilty for not being able to help her daughter. By chance she met So Joong, who was her daughter's age. She raised So Joong became her daughter, and changed her name to Kim Hye Jin, the name of that woman's daughter.

In the village Achiara, So Joong, who had become Kim Hye Jin, worked as a teacher at an art school. That's where the adventure of Kim Hye Jin find her family begins and it ends tragically.
So the purpose of Kim Hye Jin  towards the village Achiara it was clear that she was looking for her real family.

Suddenly this drama turn out to be Melodrama (really really melo). The last 2 episodes, everytime Ji Sook appear on my screen, I can’t hold my tears. Furthermore, when she appeared with Yoo Na, really heartbreaking scene. 

I would to say Achiara ended its story in good way. Every pieces of Hye jin’s life was tied nicely. This is my final thought about this drama :

Nam Ahjussi - The real Monster of Achiara. I do agree with So Yoon – The real culprit will not get punishment properly. Statute of limitation of his crime and Im sure hard to prove his sins since it happened 30 years ago. But I believe, now he will live like in a hell. His miserable life starting now. His wife will rotting on the jail at least for 15 years. His illness will getting worse quickly (because of late diagnose). And he still have Da In who really needs him. 

Yoon Ji Sook - Bravo Bravo Bravo !!!
I hate her, I want to kill her her BUT at the same time I pity her, I want to save her and I want to comfort her. Your personality just amazing. “How did you endure and live until now (for 30 years?” like Joo Hee said, Im curious too. Her motherhood toward Hye Jin still alive. She run to Dae Gwang Lumber quickly after learning her daughter was there – to save her. Misunderstanding between them can’t be avoided. Hye jin want to punish this person who makes her life and her mom life like this (And believe her action wont hurt Ji sook), but Ji sook didnt want to reveal the truth because she want to bury her past forever. She never intended to kill Hye jin – her phychological is the matter. Going back to this place remain her past bad memories. But suddenly Nam’s wife came from nowhere. Leads her to the way with no return – accomplice for murdering. I really love how she manage to smile and nodding while admitted her true feeling toward Hye Jin.

Seo Family - I really love how Gi hyun stand on his stepmom’s side. Whether it was fake or not, for the past 20 years, Ji sook was the one who taking care of him. Or at least he did this because of his dongsaeng. Im still curious how far Yoo Na know about the truth. Up until her mom tried to kill Hye jin or the whole story. Yoo Na must have a hard time, but glad her oppa stands next to her. Everytime I see Assemblyman Seo I get annoying. He didn’t blink an eye after knowing his wife was arrested. How much he hate his wife, did he think about his daughter or his unborn son? And the last scene, he met Chairman Noh (right)? So he was not die? Unresolved story.

Kang Joo Hee – I think she regretted all her action to take down her sister by using Hye Jin. If only she knew the facts a bit earlier, I guess she wont go this far. 
Agasshi – You are a sick person like Ji Sook. Using Hye Jin as an excuse and did killing to make your victims happy. Please do well while you on the jail and later comeback as a good person.
Detective Choi – Now you can sleep comfortably, your nightmare already ended and I like how you lead Woo jae become the real detective.
Woo jae and Sergeant Han – I will miss your bromance. 

Han So Yoon - “I did everything believing that revealing the truth was the right thing but it’s true that there are people who were uncomfortable and hurt by that”. Really love how she admitted what she had done. Its not like I don’t care about her desire to reveal the truth or her will to protect her sister, but now she knows there are people who hurt by her action. At very last scene, I really hope she will say sorry to Yoo Na (and/or Gi Hyun), but she didn’t do this. When she opened the time capsule, it’s another touching scene. Although not related by blood, her bond with Hye Jin is real. And Yoo Na and Ji Sook Picture as Hye Jin’s wish. Oh my... her fate really pitiful. Please rest in peace, Hye Jin-ah. Make a happy life with your parent and your younger sister, Ga Young.

I really have a great time discussing about this drama with you guys. Hope we will meet again on another thread. Achiara casts, PD and Staff thank you for your great work and keep figthing to create a new drama as soon as possible.
Goodbye, Achiara.

The finale left me with a lot of mixed feelings and tears, considering how detached the atmosphere of the overall drama has been. Ultimately, the overriding theme threading through the drama - the vicious cycle of mothers who hurt or abandon their children, and children who yearn for the mothers whom they lost -  was brought to a climax in the finale, resulting in a conclusion that was loaded with emotional payoffs, which more than made up for its sometimes less than satisfying journey and glaring loose ends.

Some thoughts... apologies for being long and rambling:

Spoiler

Throughout the entire drama, we have been so focused on the uncovering of the cause of KHJ's wrongful death... that in many ways, she became dehumanised - relegated to a case to be solved or a ghostly apparition... so much so that we forget that she was a living, breathing person who had her own hopes, dreams, fears and yearnings. Finally, in this last episode, we are reminded once more of who she truly was... not just SY's sister, not just someone dying of the complications from Fabry's disease, not just an unwanted, repulsed product of rape... but a woman who lived her life suffering abandonment and rejection, not once, not twice, but multiple times... by her birth mother, then SY's grandmother, by what she thought to be SY herself, to be viewed as a monster. Hers was a tragic, pitiable life... and her words to JS broke my heart... when she revealed her true reasons for seeking out her mother - her terrible loneliness in a world where her existence meant less than nothing to anyone, her hopes of assuaging it with their reunion, her need to apologise for being born a repulsive monster to her own mother - the aching words of a child who desperately missed her mother and sought her love and embrace in vain. And how ironic and tragic that only Agasshi, despite his twisted madness, recognised and empathised with KHJ's silent cries far earlier than anyone else, because he too, saw in her a kindred spirit, he himself living in the pain of being similarly rejected.

At long last, JS' mask crumbles as the defenses she has set in place behind the rictus grin and defiant words come crashing down. This time, we see the horror of that fateful day so many years back through her young eyes, and we relive that terror with her as she, despite her incredible dread, braved the lumber mill headlong and rushed in to save the child she could not claim. In that moment, we are privy to her humanity, her hope of redemption, one that we thought was long gone, if at all existent in the self-serving, ambitious woman she carved herself out to be... determined never to be vulnerable again. The desperate way she pleaded KHJ to leave, then tried to drag her out from the place that screamed danger to her, even after all this time... that was JS, raw, stripped bare of pretenses, reaching past the prison of her unimaginable trauma to the heart of a mother that had been so deeply buried for her own sanity. However, her trauma was too strong, her defences too ingrained, that even then, she could not bring herself to let KHJ know her true intentions... and ultimately this was the misstep that cost her daughter her life. Towards the end, her conversation with SY about why she finally decided to donate her kidney:

JS: Even though I could not embrace her [as my child], I was able to save her life. At that time, I felt that I could do that.
SY: Then why didn't you tell my sister before she went to find her birth father?
JS: I was afraid she would think that I saw her as my daughter. I did not want her to know how I really felt. I did not see her as my daughter. I only...
SY: At least you finally saw her as a person... not a monster.
      If my sister had known, she would have derived comfort just based on this alone.
      And my sister... was not a monster. She was my parents' daughter... my sister.

While initially still retaining traces of denial ("I did not see her as my daughter. I only..."), JS at long last was freed from the shackles of her past to acknowledge what she had clearly shown through her actions that day in the lumber mill but could never bring herself to verbalise, even to herself... that she had, since August 2013, already embraced KHJ, not just as a person, but as her daughter. And finally, after 32 years, she too can begin to heal.

And KHJ's unrealised hopes in the time capsule brought me to tears once more... standing forever at the fringe of what she would never have.

Loose ends:

Spoiler

Was the 2nd time capsule not a time capsule after all, but simply KHJ's storage of all the evidence she gathered? 

Who gave Agasshi his alibi when he was arrested? I cannot believe that it was lumber mill Ahjussi... since he was already insistent on staying on the straight and narrow path. So who was the shadowy accomplice after all?

What became of JS' marriage? Did the divorce take place after all? It was something that remained unexplained though I would conclude that it did not happen, seeing how GH has stepped up to protect his family, including the mother he finally came to understand and sympathise.

The resurrection of Chairman Noh. It was obvious he was drugged and left frantically roaming around in the woods... yet we see him alive and well, on good terms with the man who tried to kill him? Did I miss something along the way?

Are we to conclude that the car accident many years ago, was just that? And the mis-reporting was just some sloppy job on the part of the reporter?

Why were SCG's driver and adoption broker Oh killed? Neither had any knowledge as to the real truth behind KHJ's parentage nor her fate, and would not have presented any threat to SCG and Chairman Noh.

This is not a perfect drama, with its share of inconsistent characterisations, plotholes and uneven delivery. However in the end, it more than redeemed itself in the last 4 episodes, particularly the finale, and I am glad that I persevered all the way through. Certainly, this is one finale that resonates with me from the standpoint of a mother as well as a child, and one that will stay with me on an emotional level for some time to come.

So motherhood is pretty universal afterall.  It has indeed changed JS even if she still felt the trauma of her bad experience.  She has feelings for HJ because she knows it is not HJ's fault but only too afraid to let her know as she could not afford to have HJ coming into her life.   Actually the most pitiful and real victim in this unfortunate event is HJ.....indeed the loneliest.  

This infuriating software has just consigned my translation of and commentary on the sequence between SY and JS in episode 16 to oblivion.

I will reconstruct and repost it once I've cooled down, but I think that will be my final post on soompi unless and until the mega-rich  media company that now owns this site throws some of its advertising revenue at completely overhauling the software so that it's fit for purpose.

Here goes with a second attempt....

As a kind of follow up to my translation of the key dialogue between Ju Hui and Soyun in episode 15, here's my translation of the complete dialogue of the sequence between SY and JS in the jail that begins around 00:13:36 in the final episode.  I think that those two chunks of translation, seen alongside the visuals, ought to help clear up most of the remaining unclarities about the Hye Jin / Ju Suk relationship

===============================================================================

[Foreground scene: in the jail]

SY: I'm told you asked to see me. Why did you do that to my sister?

====
[Intercut to JS's studio]

JH: Hye Jin has found her father.

JS: What?

JH: She says she's going to reveal everything about his crimes. I thought you ought to be aware of that.

====

[Back to foreground situation]

JS:  I thought that once I told her how she came to be born she'd stop harrassing me. But that just made her go looking for her father. Things got even worse.

SY: The thought that your past would come to light... did that scare you?

JS: I wanted to stop her. After all, she'd said she wanted to live. So I thought if I granted her that wish it would stop her. That's why I even said I'd donate her a kidney. But that had exactly the pposite effect.

=====
[Intercut to Gi Hyeon's car]

HJ: I want to go back to Achiara.

GH: What?

JH: To Achiara Lake. That's where I want to go to.

====
[Intercut to the temple]

(Incidentally, this intercut explains why Hye Jin's actual last call, to SJ at the temple, didn't show up on her cellphone records, where her the final item was timesstamped the previous day. She tries to call SJ on her phone, but SJ recognizes the caller id and refuses the call. Guessing what's happened, JS notices that Nam's wife has left her cellphone behind in her haste to get her sick daughter to hospital, so she uses that phone instead. JS recognizes that number and decides it's a call she'd better take)

JS: What is it?

HJ: Just as I thought... you deliberately refused my call.

JS: Who is this? Is that you?

HJ: I got those items you sent me.

JS: Leave the village first, then the issue with the hospital... (the "issue" she's referring to -- and which she initially assumes JH must be phoning about -- is getting a person-to-person transplant permit without revealing to the licensing authority that the donor is her mother, which as I've explained in earlier postings is by no means a straightforward matter, but the transplant co-ordinator JS consulted at the hospital on the card had indicated that a way might be found. However, the issue never arises because of what now ensues as HJ interrupts her.

HJ: I've come to meet that monster. In the place where he lives. I intend to settle everything.

JS: What did you say? You've gone where?

HJ: Either than man will reveal his crimes or I will. Either he'll die or I'll die. Either way, it will all end today.

JS: Get out of there right now! Do you know what sort of place it is you've gone to? Do you really want to die?

HJ: Whether I live or die doesn't matter any more.

JS: Let's meet. Let's meet and talk, okay? But first of all, get out of there! Come and meet me.

HJ: What are you so terrified of?

JS: Hello? Hello? Hello?!

[JS On the highway  back to Achiara, then at the sawmill gates]

[Then back to the present and the prison]

JS: Entering that place brought that man before my eyes again. It was horrible. [I do wish the Viki translators and editors would look up the meaning of the English word 'despicable'. I can think of no context whatever in which it can be an acceptable translation of the 끔찍하다 which is what's on the soundtrack here and at at several other places where "despicable" is in the subs.] But all the same, I had to go in. To fetch that child out and get her away from there.

===
[In the sawmill]

JS: No! Let's get out right now. Once we're out of here, we can talk.

JH: Does bringing the truth to light terrify you so much? Enough to make you rush all the way here?

JS: Just let's get out of here first. We're in danger here. We've got to get out of here fast, before that man shows up, let's go!

JH: No. I'm going to meet that man today. Today, everything's going to be revealed.

JS: What's so important about the damned truth?  You said you'd come because you wanted to live. You begged me to save you, remember?

JH: You admitted you were my mother. I fell to my knees and embraced your legs and begged you to save my life, but you never so much blinked an eye. So why after all that are you saying now you want to rescue me?

JS: I'm doing this for your benefit!

JH: But I know it isn't for my benefit! You think I don't know your hidden motive? Now I've found my father, you're afraid your past will be revealed, that's what terrifies you.

JS: That's right! I'm terrified. Why are you making so much trouble for people living peaceful lives? Please, I'm begging you now. Let's get out of here fast, okay?  Don't you see, I've come here because I want you to live? Let's get out of here, I'm telling you I'll save you.

JH: Do you honestly want to save me? I'm not human, remember. Not in your eyes! I'm nothing but a horrendous monster. You only offered to donate a damned kidney to stop your past coming to light. And that's why you've come running here, isn't it?

JS: Please, just let's get away from here. Then we can talk.

[And now something very important happens. HJ stops addressing SJ in the polite speech she's always used towards her so far. From this point on, she speaks to her in banmal. 당신이 신장 준다고 그러면 내가 좋아할 줄 알았어? Just as there are several subdivisions of polite speech, as I pointed out when trying to describe Yuna's distinctive way of speaking to different elders, there are subdivisions of banmal with very different connotations. I've highlighted the pronoun 당신 as well as the banmal verb ending 았어 in that sentence, because employing 당신 for "you" in conjunction with a sudden shift into banmal marks the speech as deliberately confrontational and offensive or dontemptuous. It is the banmal used between adult brawlers, quite different from the banmal between an adult and an infant -- a difference that's about to hit home like a hammer a few moments later when HJ shifts, just a abruptly as she just did from polite speech into confrontational banmal, into the totally different (though grammatically identical) intimate panmal used between infants and mothers. But for now the tone is overwhelmingly confrontional]

JH: Just because you said you'd donate a kidney, you thought I'd be over the moon? Well I'm not! I'm wretched! I'm not even seen as human, I'm forced to  beg for my life, that makes me utterly wretched. So that's why I'm going to get vengeance on the man who made me into a monster. I don't mean to do you any harm.

As HJ says those last words, SJ flashes back to the rapist saying the exact same words to her "I don't mean to do you any harm" in that place of terror 30 years earlier (though that wasn't the banmal of confrontation but the banmal of an adult cajoling a young person with evil intent) Pivoting on that memory, she suddenly sees her daughter as the rapist and attempts to strangle her, crying out  "That monster's back again! Save you? You have to disappear!" (hence those fractures of the cervical vertebrae found on the corpse, soon to be supplemented by the putative fracture of the skull that the autopsy also brought to light when Nam's wife intervenes)  At this point, HJ just manages to gasp out words that ought to be very familiar to us by now "Mom! Save me!" and just like the first time Yuna heard them and faithfully reproduced them on the church wall, they are in that intimate infant-to-mother species of banmal. For the first and last time, Hye Jin speaks to JS like a child to her mother, and, significantly also for the first and last time, Ji Suk hears her as a mother listening to her child. Horrified, recognizing who it is she was about to kill, she relaxes her grip.

====
[Back in the foreground situation in the prison]

JS: I wanted her to disappear. So it would be as if the whole thing had never happened.

SY: What were you thinking as you hid her body?

====
[In the sawmill]

As the horrified JS watches HJ dying, Nam's wife says to her "You wanted everything buried, too, didn't you? Isn't that why you were killing her?"]
====
[Back in the foreground]

JS: I was thinking that she had to be buried.

SY: (Who of course doesn't know what JS has just recalled) What did you say?

JS: That way, as if nothing had ever happened, it would all be over and forgotten.

@baduy As always, thank you so much for explaining the shifts in speech during the fateful day in the lumber mill... it is subtleties like these, lost on us who do not understand Korean (and not as effectively translated in C-subs), that make the world of difference in understanding the reasons for their reactions and what follows. I would love to hear your interpretation and explanation of JS' final conversation with SY, when she speaks of her real intent. Ultimately, this final episode belongs solely to Shin Eun Kyung and Jang Hee Jin, who brilliantly nailed the nuances of JS and KHJ's tortured psyches. And it is their performances that makes the finale so powerful and emotional for me.

In a drama that is so sparse in background music... the beautifully haunting soundtrack that accompanied this last episode perfectly embodied the pain and loss caused by the web of tragedy that entangled the lives of every single victim, past and present. Despite not holding out much hope, I would love to see its instrumental soundtrack released. Please let it happen.

Archived