Bae Yong Joon 배용준

Admin

20 hours ago, sunny88 said:

@willenette wow ! thanks for the post! That was back in 2007/2008 too.

One thing that was mentioned in one of articles yesterday was that The  Legend didn’t live up to public expectation but I wasn’t sure if it was just based on the author’s view or on some factual data. So I did some research and apparently it was not as much as a hit in Japan based on the view rating for various reasons. I still think it was a very good drama and I usually don’t even like that kind of genre. 

Here is is an article I found that I thought described some of my feelings about it.   Please be warned that the author used  some curse words in his or her writing so I hope no one will be offended. 

https://rainscene.livejournal.com/1477.html

Hi sunny, thanks for sharing the link. I guess if the drama really didn't live up to public expectation, it's the opinion of the author. :lol:

• Like 2

20 hours ago, sunny88 said:

Bae is certainly a smart businessman! For the Keyeast artists, there are certainly advantages in being in a bigger company with more resource and global reach!

I am not sure if being a global strategy advisor will take BYJ even further away from being on screen again but I  continue to hope that  he will return.  In my experience of working for very large global companies, there are a lot of bureaucracies  and usually being an advisor mean you are not in the final decision making seat but have more freedom at the same time. That said, I am not familiar with Korean business practices, so my experience may not apply. 

sunny, I guess by this time there's really a slim chance that we could get to see him back on the screen. Wait & see..... I have lots of K-friends & I heard from them that the decision-making process in a South Korean company is longer than anywhere in the world. It’s a collective process where everyone is expected to participate according to their rank and knowledge. The final decision is made at the top level based on all the input from subordinates. When establishing your business relationship, you can expect questions about your family, education, and rank in your company. Though these questions may seem too personal for a US businessperson at first glance, they generally serve to find out your status according to their idea of hierarchy. First impressions are very important to South Korean business people. :lol:

• Like 2

11 hours ago, willenette said:

sunny, I guess by this time there's really a slim chance that we could get to see him back on the screen. Wait & see..... I have lots of K-friends & I heard from them that the decision-making process in a South Korean company is longer than anywhere in the world. It’s a collective process where everyone is expected to participate according to their rank and knowledge. The final decision is made at the top level based on all the input from subordinates. When establishing your business relationship, you can expect questions about your family, education, and rank in your company. Though these questions may seem too personal for a US businessperson at first glance, they generally serve to find out your status according to their idea of hierarchy. First impressions are very important to South Korean business people. :lol:

Happy Friday!! @willenette  yes I guess you are right about that - but one can always hope? lol 

In reading this forum and other sites, it seems like something happened or some decisions were made between 2012 and 2015 because that was when he seemed to have stopped much of the communication with his fans (as rarely as it was before that, he seemed to have done so with his fan family in a very  warm manner every so often.) There were also news of him reading scripts for a comeback up to that time too.  A manga called “drop of god” was rumored to be one of the possible one to be adapted into a drama for him to star in? 

Don’t mind me - being so late to the party, I just don’t  have all the insights to know our dear Bae’s thinking like you or other long time fan! I am sure you guys miss him even more since you experienced the active time.  

• Like 2

Hi there @sunny88!  You sure are uncovering a lot of information, and I know what kind of hard work that is.  Please don't be sorry about being late to the party, because at one time most of us were latecomers too and had to rely on the old hands here on the forum.  

On 3/16/2018 at 8:03 AM, sunny88 said:

it seems like something happened or some decisions were made between 2012 and 2015 because that was when he seemed to have stopped much of the communication with his fans (as rarely as it was before that, he seemed to have done so with his fan family in a very  warm manner every so often.

Could it have been that injuries that he incurred while on the set for The Legend sidelined him more than fans were led to believe, and just had to stop spending that much time (such as it was) with fans?  He tried so to recover and come back with Dream High, but old injuries put a stop to that, too.  You have also found for us that the injuries are still flaring up and affecting his daily life currently.

One thing too, that was tragic and may have caused some of his reclusiveness and to a hesitation to return,  was what happened with the director of The Legend - Kim Jong-hak.  Have you read any of that story?  Director Kim committed suicide in 2013 after financial failures of his latest two dramas, and judging by some YouTube videos, Bae and Director Kim were close.    By the way, in case you haven't found this either - that "fantastic" salary that BYJ received for The Legend - he deferred all of it until after the drama wrapped.  

That drama based on the manga "Drops of God" was sidelined by a silly (I think it was silly) restriction by the SK government regarding publicizing product brands on television.  Since the drama was about wine, and specific brands, as I remember, Bae and company decided not to go forward.  I am recalling all of this from memory right now, and if anyone has any information to add or subtract, please do let me and the forum know.  Due to recent failure of the USB ports on my main computer, I can't access all my old documents to confirm or corroborate what I have said.  All those things are in storage on a harddrive dock that no longer works!!  I am going crazy trying to fix it and really irked that some valuable information may again be lost.

This news about the sale of KeyEast is VERY interesting!!  Can't wait to see what the future holds. Thanks for all you've done and probably will do in the future to keep us informed.

Edit about 1 hour later:  I found the problem with my USB ports.  I had a Windows 10 update that had not really been updated!  After update, everything works again.  Sunny, if you need some research let me know, but give me a couple of days.  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, MyStars said:

Hi there @sunny88!  You sure are uncovering a lot of information, and I know what kind of hard work that is.  Please don't be sorry about being late to the party, because at one time most of us were latecomers too and had to rely on the old hands here on the forum.  

Could it have been that injuries that he incurred while on the set for The Legend sidelined him more than fans were led to believe, and just had to stop spending that much time (such as it was) with fans?  He tried so to recover and come back with Dream High, but old injuries put a stop to that, too.  You have also found for us that the injuries are still flaring up and affecting his daily life currently.

One thing too, that was tragic and may have caused some of his reclusiveness to return,  was what happened with the director of The Legend - Kim Jong-hak.  Have you read any of that story?  Director Kim committed suicide in 2013 after financial failures of his latest two dramas, and judging by some YouTube videos, Bae and Director Kim were close.    By the way, in case you haven't found this either - that "fantastic" salary that BYJ received for The Legend - he deferred all of it until after the drama wrapped.  

That drama based on the manga "Drops of God" was sidelined by a silly (I think it was silly) restriction by the SK government regarding publicizing product brands on television.  Since the drama was about wine, and specific brands, as I remember, Bae and company decided not to go forward.  I am recalling all of this from memory right now, and if anyone has any information to add or subtract, please do let me and the forum know.  Do to recent failure of the USB ports on my main computer, I can't access all my old documents to confirm or corroborate what I have said.  All those things are in storage on a harddrive dock that no longer works!!  I am going crazy trying to fix it and really irked that some valuable information may again be lost.

This news about the sale of KeyEast is VERY interesting!!  Can't wait to see what the future holds. Thanks for all you've done and probably will do in the future to keep us informed.

@MyStarsI did not know the sad story about Director Kim!   That was terrible what happened and from the news clips  that I read, it seemed that the industry didn't treat him kindly at that time so I can see how that could have contributed to Bae's reclusiveness.   Oh yes, the old injuries from the filming of the Legend probably doesn't help!

On a more positive note, I think Bae did well with the SM / KeyEast deal so I hope it will bring some exciting news soon. I am just a little surprised that there isn't more news after the big announcement but of course I will continue to be on the lookout for them! 

I hope you can recover your hard drive soon!! 

Edit: Yay for everything  to work again!! I know how frustrating it can be when you lost or think you lost data in your computer! Once I thought I lost all my contact information because my laptop crashed.  I am sure you have a ton of great information and thanks in advance for the willingness to share them with a newbie!

Edited by sunny88
Added to comment
  • Like 1

Just finished watching Untold Scandal.  WOW, what a sensuous and spicy film :) 

I watched an interview with the cast on youtube before my DVD finally arrived.  In the interview,  BYJ said his manager didn't want him to take the role because it doesn't fit his imagine but he insisted on it.  Good for him! it really showed the range he has in his acting skill and how he liked to challenge himself.  

I am sure these 2 reviews have been shared way back when but I thought they speak well of the film.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/13/movies/giving-the-timeless-shame-of-gossip-to-a-korean-liaisons.html

http://www.hangulcelluloid.com/untoldscandal.html

Edited by sunny88
added to the comment
  • Like 2

I found the below on a blog called USAmama44  but it is in Japanese.  Google translate isn't that good but I think you can still make some sense of it:

In 14 years since the Korean star star Bae Young Jun started walking along the way of an entrepreneur, he sold the entertainment office key east, which he started large, to SM entertainment in Korea's largest planning office.
On 14th, SM Entertainment acquired 19.45 million 5071 shares (25.12%) of the shares held by Key Yeast's largest shareholder Bae Young Jun as 50 billion won (about 5 billion yen), and the management rights of Key East We announced that it secured.

People in the entertainment industry reported that Bae Young-jung was suffering from successive accusations.
A related official said, "Bae Yong-jun was particularly suffering during the time when allegations of pregnancy prejudice emerged (last year, my wife Park-Sujin)," while he was suffering, "I seem to be tired of both mind and body with repeated accusations, including this" Through Korea Media Union News.

Some estimate that Bae Yong Jun sold the company to SM entertainment seems to be due to deterioration of Key East's management.
Regarding this, Key East's official said, "Key East is a solid company with no debts and many held cash."
The official said, "It is not due to management deterioration, but Mr. Ba was supposed to pursue change as an entrepreneur", he said, "I believe that it is a choice due to market changes."

In 2015, Bae Yong Joon married an actress Park Su-jin belonging to Key East and got the first child in 2016, and now he is refraining from giving birth to the second child.

Bae Yong Jun sold the company to SM and got a market gain of 35 billion won in 12 years established.
The entertainment industry analyzed that "Bae Yong Joon got into a game as an entrepreneur".
Bae Young Jun handed Kee Yeast shares to SM Entertainment and secured SM Entertainment shares at the same time.
Following the first shareholder Lee Suman, the second shareholder national pension, he became the third shareholder.
The status changed from entrepreneur to shareholders of SM entertainment, and they decided to retire from management, but as influence will continue to be demonstrated as the third shareholder.

I found out that SM's acquisition of Key East was advanced in electric shocks in a week recently.
For this reason, adjustments to detailed items will be advanced in the future.
Management and positioning of Key East Subsidiaries and management's position are all subjects.

• Like 2

On 3/18/2018 at 10:05 PM, sunny88 said:

"I seem to be tired of both mind and body with repeated accusations, including this" Through Korea Media Union News.

If this is a correct translation, and if it is a correct assessment of why he sold KeyEast, then good for him.  Protecting his wife and children seems to be one of the main reasons for the selling.  To me this means he won't be back in the public eye.  

Looks like he and Park Soo Jin aren't going to be able to get over the harassment they took for the hospital thing, and for the many years of indifference and Ire he probably incurred from his own countrymen because of being so beloved by his many Japanese fans.  He seems to have carried many more burdens than he needed to throughout his career, and it is good to see that he will be well compensated for KeyEast.  There should be interesting times ahead.  

You're doing so well at finding and posting the important things!  Congrats to you and your drive to get the news out there.  You're kind of like his biographer now!:grin:.  Great job.  . . . . . .

• Like 1

22 hours ago, MyStars said:

If this is a correct translation, and if it is a correct assessment of why he sold KeyEast, then good for him.  Protecting his wife and children seems to be one of the main reasons for the selling.  To me this means he won't be back in the public eye.  

Looks like he and Park Soo Jin aren't going to be able to get over the harassment they took for the hospital thing, and for the many years of indifference and Ire he probably incurred from his own countrymen because of being so beloved by his many Japanese fans.  He seems to have carried many more burdens than he needed to throughout his career, and it is good to see that he will be well compensated for KeyEast.  There should be interesting times ahead.  

You're doing so well at finding and posting the important things!  Congrats to you and your drive to get the news out there.  You're kind of like his biographer now!:grin:.  Great job.  . . . . . .

Hi @MyStars that is quite a compliment! Thank you! :)

I  found some of the reports about the hospital fiasco as well as how the Korean entertainment industry and media not being supportive of Bae because of his popularity in Japan. Can I say that is insane?!!! Shouldn’t they be proud of their country man for driving the K wave and bring in not only recognition but financial gain to S. Korea?! As for the hospital thing, it seems that the media and those complaining families were making a mountain out of a molehill!   I think they complained because it was Bae so they can get attention themselves!  I mean, the entire hospital only had one incubator?! For real?! 

I found an unofficial BYJ fan site that is either no longer active or at least not currently active (last update was in June 2017).   It has some really good update postings since 2007.  Based on the creator’s description, it sounds like it was established to fill the hole of a discontinued site called BYJ Qulit of which I read about here too.  Anyway, there was a posting about an interview with Bae in 2012, I think it was during his promotion of Dream High in Japan, and his answer to staying as an actor was still strong then, but of course I can see how his health, relentless accusations against him and what happened to director Kim can change that over time.

Oh and regarding the cancellation of the Drama “drops of god” due to government restriction on product promotion in drama, I agree that it is silly!!   If the drama is about wine, how can they not mention brands? I don’t really watch k drama, winter sonata is the first one I watched with full attention but I know other dramas like the Legend of blue sea had drove the sales of certain brands because the characters wore them in the drama! I don’t know if the brands were explicitly mentioned but  it served the same purpose! 

Anyway,  I am an optimist so I do hope our dear Bae will return to acting one of these days. Of course I enjoy watching his movies and dramas because of his gorgeous look but I truly think that he is a great actor who is very versatile.  Above all though, I wish for him and his family be happy and safe in whatever way he thinks it’s best!

Oops sorry for the long winded rambling again!!   I can see how it is harder for long time fans to stay active since you guys have been waiting for so long and are already so familiar with all of his work.  I, on the other hand, still have a lot more to discover :) so I will continue to do so!  

• Like 2

*** I'm happy that "Winter Sonata" is still on the game. Congratulations.  :lol:

Industry Experts Name Best Hits In Korean Entertainment

Korean entertainment extends past physical borders and is loved by many worldwide.

For its 10th anniversary, media outlet Sports DongA conducted a survey analyzing Korean entertainment over the years. 100 industry experts voted on several categories, and one of the questions they were asked were what they believed is the greatest hit to come out of Korean entertainment.

Chosen by 26 industry experts, PSY’s “Gangnam Style” was selected as the top hit product in Korean entertainment history. Some of the reasons given are that it is “the biggest worldwide hit among Korean content,” that it “introduced non-mainstream K-pop to the global music market,” and that its music video has “3.1 billion views in a YouTube generation.”

In second place is MBC’s “Infinite Challenge,” which garnered 14 out of 100 votes. Experts who chose the variety program as the best hit in Korean entertainment expressed, “More than just an example of Korean content, it is a cultural icon that represents this generation,” and, “It has been a huge contribution to pop culture as a mirror that reflects the last 13 years.” Another expert stated, “It is a representative piece of intellectual property that utilizes its influence.”

SBS drama “Sandglass,” KBS2 drama “Winter Sonata,” and BTS are tied for third, with six votes each. The experts who selected one of these dramas or the group explained that they picked their choices not because of their popularity, but because of their expandability or how they contributed to a new wave of pop culture.

As the biggest box office hit in all of Korean film history, movie “The Admiral: Roaring Currents” came in at fourth place, while MBC drama “Jewel in the Palace” is in fifth place.

What are some of your personal hits or favorite things from Korean entertainment?

Source (1) / soompi news

• Like 2

9 hours ago, willenette said:

*** I'm happy that "Winter Sonata" is still on the game. Congratulations.  :lol:

Industry Experts Name Best Hits In Korean Entertainment

Korean entertainment extends past physical borders and is loved by many worldwide.

For its 10th anniversary, media outlet Sports DongA conducted a survey analyzing Korean entertainment over the years. 100 industry experts voted on several categories, and one of the questions they were asked were what they believed is the greatest hit to come out of Korean entertainment.

Chosen by 26 industry experts, PSY’s “Gangnam Style” was selected as the top hit product in Korean entertainment history. Some of the reasons given are that it is “the biggest worldwide hit among Korean content,” that it “introduced non-mainstream K-pop to the global music market,” and that its music video has “3.1 billion views in a YouTube generation.”

In second place is MBC’s “Infinite Challenge,” which garnered 14 out of 100 votes. Experts who chose the variety program as the best hit in Korean entertainment expressed, “More than just an example of Korean content, it is a cultural icon that represents this generation,” and, “It has been a huge contribution to pop culture as a mirror that reflects the last 13 years.” Another expert stated, “It is a representative piece of intellectual property that utilizes its influence.”

SBS drama “Sandglass,” KBS2 drama “Winter Sonata,” and BTS are tied for third, with six votes each. The experts who selected one of these dramas or the group explained that they picked their choices not because of their popularity, but because of their expandability or how they contributed to a new wave of pop culture.

As the biggest box office hit in all of Korean film history, movie “The Admiral: Roaring Currents” came in at fourth place, while MBC drama “Jewel in the Palace” is in fifth place.

What are some of your personal hits or favorite things from Korean entertainment?

Source (1) / soompi news

Thank you for the article! My favorite is definitely Winter Sonata!! :) 

WS isn’t the first K drama I watched but it is the first one I watched with full attention! I actually was introduced to k drama when the season series debuted in early 2000s and the autumn one was the one I watched. Well, sort of watched - I thought everyone in it were good looking and I marveled at their great skin but it didn’t hold my attention so I didn’t watch the other seasons after that.  Fast forward to the more recent years, I watched He came from the stars because I wanted to see why it was such a hit. Again, I thought it was  ok and I really like the lead actress. In fact I watched The legend of the blue sea only because of her.

Anyway, then I watched WS and bam! I am smitten! :D

Ok mostly I was smitten  by Bae but I also really like the drama.  It is strange because honestly the plot was somewhat predictable and some parts actually wasn’t logical but I love it! :)   I rewatched it almost immediately!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mstamatoff said:

Dear ladies,

So busy recently, absolutely no time to write here. Just have a look at the posts (wonderful!) from time to time. Found this link:

https://abematimes.com/posts/3882562

As far as I got it, they are going to air Winter Sonata in Japan again.

That is awesome!!

Even though it was filmed in early 2000s, it is one of those rewatchable classic that never gets old!! I think many new fan like me will continue to discover it too! :) 

I now have an offline subscription just so I can rewatch and analyze any episode even when I don’t have WiFi! LOL

I also bought the DVD in case Dramafever loses the right to it like Netflix! I know, I am really hooked! :) 

• Like 2

@mstamatoff Thanks for the link! Here is the article as per google translate (so it is choppy!:D), I skipped the section with the synopsis of the drama ::)

Korean drama "Winter Sonata" who gained much attention as a location again at Pyeongchang Olympics held this year. Cheese Taccarbie has become a big boom centering on young people, and now the third bulletin boom is said to have been welcomed, as the bulletproof boys' group and TWICE are also very popular in the K - POP world, but the first boom It was definitely a Korean-style drama's monument "Winter Sonata" that made the chance of.

"Winter Sonata" was broadcasted in Japan for the first time in NHK-BS in 2003. The broadcast calls more than expected expectations, and in terrestrial broadcasting it broadcasts from NHK in April 2004. Recorded an unusual high viewing rate in the time zone overseas drama was the mainstream time period, Bae Yong Joon, starring, picked up many hearts of Japanese women with the nickname of "Young Mr.", related book books also continued, further location "Fuyu Sonna" boom was reported in many media, such as the fans who visit the site are constantly following. As well as the charm of the two stars starring Bae Yong Joon and Choi Ji Woo, the evaluation of the drama itself is also very high, and has won numerous awards, including the KBS acting awards in 2002 and the 38th hundred artistic awards. Especially at the 2002 KBS Performance Awards, Bae Young Joon and Choi Ji Woo received the popular award and the best acting prize. The director is Yoon Suk-ho said to be a famous "video magician" because he originally takes a beautiful picture. The second of the four season series which retired KBS and became freelance first, is "Winter Sonata".

The hidden memories and facts become apparent, and the gears of destiny go mad. Those who thoughtfully remembered "nostalgic!", Those who did not have the opportunity to see it even though it became a social phenomenon, Abema TV [Korean wave · Hua Hua channel] broadcast one broadcast in March 25 We will start broadcasting from 12 o'clock in the day (Sunday) and 3 episodes every Sunday as the 2nd anniversary project, so why do not you watch it at the timing of this one broadcasting all by all means?

• Like 2

On 16/03/2018 at 2:03 PM, sunny88 said:

In reading this forum and other sites, it seems like something happened or some decisions were made between 2012 and 2015 because that was when he seemed to have stopped much of the communication with his fans (as rarely as it was before that, he seemed to have done so with his fan family in a very  warm manner every so often.) There were also news of him reading scripts for a comeback up to that time too.  A manga called “drop of god” was rumored to be one of the possible one to be adapted into a drama for him to star in? 

@sunny88 If you find on YouTube Bae's interview for a Chinese TV channel, you will hear his words: "I am not the same man I used to be." (if I cite him correctly). The interview is made after The Legend. I remember how these words struck me and filled me with despair.

• Like 1

On 3/24/2018 at 3:00 PM, mstamatoff said:

@sunny88 If you find on YouTube Bae's interview for a Chinese TV channel, you will hear his words: "I am not the same man I used to be." (if I cite him correctly). The interview is made after The Legend. I remember how these words struck me and filled me with despair.

@mstamatoffHi! I watched the interview and from the subtitle, he did say something to that effect in response to the interviewer's comment about how he looks just as good as did in his dramas (I think the literate translation is something more like full of life and high spirited  according to my friend who understand Mandarin).  I am going to ask my k. friend about his response too.  But I did notice the large cushion behind his back which may be was there to make him feel more comfortable.

In any event, he definitely has shifted his mind about going back to acting sometimes between that period.  Likely due to  a combination of health, impact of director Kim's death like Mystars mentioned, and other personal reasons that we may not know about.  

There was one interview I read where he said that he wants to return but his manager is not giving him any work. I think that was some times in late 2011 or 2012.

In another interview he did in Japan when promoting Dream High in 2011, he also seemed to be keen about coming back:

Q: For ‘Dream High’ you joined not only as an actor but also as a producer, how did you find it?

A: It was my first attempt, which put me in a different position from acting. I think I could see the parts which I had missed while I was working only as an actor. Also about the drama I could acquire the broader understanding and which was very helpful for acting. What I had no chance to see as only an actor , this time from a viewpoint of a production company I was able to see, and that is for example how the direction was and how the staff were working.

Actors tend to be quite selfish on the set inevitably. For them, acting is above everything else and building up character’s emotions is very important. So actors really don’t notice other things. Now I can look over such parts, but this doesn’t mean I don’t focus on my character or acting. I had no idea how much it costs to produce a drama, however now I understand how much we need.

Q: If you have an another chance, would you like to work as a producer again?

A: If I do so, my family might say something to me (laughs). For the time being, I will be a full-time actor; however as for ‘Dream High 2’, I wish to be involved in the project at least. 

Then in reading in some brief fans encounters (lucky people! :) ) sometimes during 2012 to 1013?, he told them that he will return to acting soon when the question was asked. 

Also, found this in his 2013 appearance in Japan to receive an award:

Source: Nikkan Sports
2013/10/19 21:36
Japanese to English by tomato99@LoveBaeYongJoon

Korean actor, Bae Yong Joon (41) attended event, “Korean Entertainment 10th Anniversary Awards in Japan” which took place at Makuhari Messe on 19th.

The event was to commemorate 10th anniversary of Korean Entertainment starting from drama “Winter Sonata,” which Yonsama starred came to Japan.
Yonsama won grand prix for male actors category, which was chosen by fan votes.

He thanked fans for supporting Korean entertainment, “I send my appreciation to my family(fans) who guided me here today, and to everyone who love Korean pop culture.”

Yonsama has no drama appearances since his last drama “Dream High” in 2011, BYJ apologized to fans, “I wanted to meet everyone with new work, I am sorry that I still cannot do that.”
“I will do my best to meet everyone soon with a new project,” 
BYJ received a big applause from fans.

It is two years since his last official visit to Japan, 2,000 fans gathered at Haneda airport in the morning, and showed continued popularity after 10years.

But of course in the 2014 interview with the China TV station, nothing was mentioned so he probably told them not to ask that question since it would be the obvious question to ask! 

Anyway, above all, I wish for him to be happy and healthy to do whatever he feels is best for him and his family. As an optimist, I also continue to hope he will change his mind! :) You never know, right? 

• Like 2

Speaking of the 2014 interview. I found this article from the Lovebaeyongjoon blog. It is a translation of the account from the interviewer (Zhang Chun-hua) Lucky lady! :) 

Zhang Chun-hua Brings you to the Stars #Bae Yong Joon

2.3 billion! This is the keyword in my mind when I think of Bae Yong Joon, that he had brought about an economic effect of 2.3 billion worth to the Korean market. It is no wonder that before the scheduled interview with Bae Yong Joon, all the usually charismatic honchos went to change clothes, freshen up and straighten their ties, and even these high-ranking senior officials were waiting for him with perspiration beads forming on their palms. I was in the waiting area of the interview venue, and suddenly, everyone from the outside all the way to the inside stood up hurriedly. From afar, I could feel a rather unusual aura; it’s not so overwhelmingly strong that it suffocating, it’s gentle! It’s a very strong and powerful gentleness! He’s here!

He exchanged greeting with me, and also with the staff; I could see gentle humility in his eyes. I was originally seated on the left, Boss Bae made one round and was getting his microphone wired up after that round. Then I saw all six cameramen standing up and changing positions at the cafe (where the interview was held), ahhh… so Boss Bae preferred his left profile!

After wiring up the microphone, he stood before me. He doesn’t understand Mandarin, so he was just standing in front of me, meeting my eyes all the time. Some 60 seconds later, he asked faintly, “May I sit down?” Oh my gosh, so cute I could die!!

We had already gone through the script (with his agency) before the interview, and the agency asked repeatedly that we adhered strictly to the script that all had agreed upon. But the atmosphere during the recording was good and I could not help myself and asked a few more questions. The staff had intended to cut me short, but he said, “It’s all right, relax; can I trouble the translator seonsaeng-sim to help translate this question for me?” It was then that I heaved a breath of relief.

I wanna say, the biggest ever star in my heart is undoubtedly and definitely Bae Yong Joon!

• Like 2

On 3/23/2018 at 8:36 PM, sunny88 said:

Thank you for the article! My favorite is definitely Winter Sonata!! :) 

WS isn’t the first K drama I watched but it is the first one I watched with full attention! I actually was introduced to k drama when the season series debuted in early 2000s and the autumn one was the one I watched. Well, sort of watched - I thought everyone in it were good looking and I marveled at their great skin but it didn’t hold my attention so I didn’t watch the other seasons after that.  Fast forward to the more recent years, I watched He came from the stars because I wanted to see why it was such a hit. Again, I thought it was  ok and I really like the lead actress. In fact I watched The legend of the blue sea only because of her.

Anyway, then I watched WS and bam! I am smitten! :D

Ok mostly I was smitten  by Bae but I also really like the drama.  It is strange because honestly the plot was somewhat predictable and some parts actually wasn’t logical but I love it! :)   I rewatched it almost immediately!

Hi sunny I find the ending of Winter Sonata the MOST exquisite ending. You want to open a new box of tissues before you get to the end... hahaha - what a tear-jerker! It is one of the best Korean dramas I have ever watched. This is really a very good drama. The scenery with the snow is just...beautiful. I thoroughly enjoyed this series. There are so many worse Korean soaps out there--at least this one's decent. This is the reason why this drama succeeds outside the Korean peninsula.  The drama allowed other Asians to see another part of Korean culture. The story line is easy to follow as there are primarily four major characters. I also re-watched this 2x.....

The 1st K-drama I watched was "Save the Last Dance for Me" starring Ji Sung. He was the reason why I was into K-pop.:tongue:

• Like 2

On 3/23/2018 at 3:43 PM, mstamatoff said:

Dear ladies,

So busy recently, absolutely no time to write here. Just have a look at the posts (wonderful!) from time to time. Found this link:

https://abematimes.com/posts/3882562

As far as I got it, they are going to air Winter Sonata in Japan again.

That is awesome!!

Even though it was filmed in early 2000s, it is one of those rewatchable classic that never gets old!! I think many new fan like me will continue to discover it too! :) 

I now have an offline subscription just so I can rewatch and analyze any episode even when I don’t have WiFi! LOL

I also bought the DVD in case Dramafever loses the right to it like Netflix! I know, I am really hooked! :) 

• Like 2

Just started reading “The Journey in search of Korea’s Beauty”.  Very delightful so far and I think his writing gives you a better sense of his inner self which is unusual given how private he is. :) 

• Like 2