Study Abroad In Korea?

little mixed girl

Guest wildcard.

wildcard. said: Anyone applied for the KGSP (Korean Government Scholarship Program) 2013 program for Grad studies? There are 3 selection processes and I have thus far gotten through the 1st Selection. Now waiting on word from the 2nd selection which will come out end of this month so I'm pretty much freeeeeeeeeaking out. I just wanted to know if someone here has applied for that program as well and which schools you picked. Who knows, we may end up at the same place! I'll be doing Biotechnology btw.

• Replies 952
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest sbelle

i studied in Korea for a summer, the one thing that is greatly emphasized to me (sometimes over-emphasized) is the appearance MATTERS! This point is especially repeated by my two Korean teachers and my host mother. The good thing is now I have learned to look prettier. TIP; if you look/dress pretty, you will receive better treatments and even more free products!

Guest wengie1430292450

xingg said: kozykat said: Ohhh yay! I didn't bother doing the placement test..I just asked them to place me in the first level for students who know to write/read the alphabet haha. When I asked them, they didn't have any dorms for the summer session, did you decide where you're gonna stay??
xingg said: kozykat said: Hey! I actually applied to Sogang University for the 20hr/week Korean language program this coming summer 2013 (the one that lasts 10 weeks); all I have to do is to transfer the tuition. I'm just wondering if there are any other people who applied and who are planning to go? It would be really nice to know some people beforehand since I don't know anyone in Seoul lol..

Guest my_yong

wildcard. said: wildcard. said: Anyone applied for the KGSP (Korean Government Scholarship Program) 2013 program for Grad studies? There are 3 selection processes and I have thus far gotten through the 1st Selection. Now waiting on word from the 2nd selection which will come out end of this month so I'm pretty much freeeeeeeeeaking out. I just wanted to know if someone here has applied for that program as well and which schools you picked. Who knows, we may end up at the same place! I'll be doing Biotechnology btw.

Guest xDAZE

Hi all!
I'm interested in the Sogang KIP programme and am going to sign up for it!
The only thing that I am worried about now is the accommodation... I have seen that Sogang provides double room dormitories but I would prefer having a private space of my own (with no curfew ). Therefore, I was considering staying in a hasukjib or goshiwon nearby the University. However, I read online that it's always better to check out the place on your own before you book your stay as some rooms could be really bad (e.g. no windows...).
Therefore, here's my main concern: I might only be able to go over to Korea 1-2 weeks before the programme starts but what's the probability of finding a -not-fully-booked- goshiwon/hasuk at that time? Will it be safe for me to just book 1-2 nights at a hostel while I find for a goshiwon/hasuk to accomodate me for the rest of the days?
P.S. Who else is going for the KIP programme??? =pp
Thank you! =D

Guest wildcard.

my_yong said: wildcard. said: wildcard. said: Anyone applied for the KGSP (Korean Government Scholarship Program) 2013 program for Grad studies? There are 3 selection processes and I have thus far gotten through the 1st Selection. Now waiting on word from the 2nd selection which will come out end of this month so I'm pretty much freeeeeeeeeaking out. I just wanted to know if someone here has applied for that program as well and which schools you picked. Who knows, we may end up at the same place! I'll be doing Biotechnology btw.

Guest nshin

Im going to Korea next month and decided to take the 3 week korean intensive program at Ehwa,
Wondering if anyone else is going and knows what to expect at the program! :)

Guest Meimiko

Anyone going to Yonsei this fall or planning to go next spring? I was recently accepted as an exchange student for the academic year.

Guest irees

Hey, everyone. I've studied abroad in Yonsei before for Spring 2012. If you have any questions, you can message me here on soompi or even tweet me. I will also shamelessly plug in my blog, which I'm trying to get together from my study abroad. I loved studying abroad in Korea, and I love talking about it, especially to ones contemplating or planning to do it. If you're also planning to go to Ewha or Yeungnam, I have some info on those, too. And just in general about Korean language study, I would recommend Sogang for beginners and Yonsei for intermediate and up. Sogang focuses a lot on speaking at first, and Yonsei focuses on writing and grammar, but it's very beneficial for speaking for intermediates as Yonsei's KLI program is done in all Korean from the teachers.

Guest Anri Lin

Going to Hanyang U for exchange in Sept-Dec 2013! Anyone going?? I'm also going to be at Ewha U for their Intensive program in December 2013 - Feb 2014! I was going to go for the Summer 2013 session, but cancelled cuz of too much rushing and summer school. But September'13 to March'14 is confirmed :D

Guest Heeom

Does anyone have information about Ewha's Transfer process? I'm looking into it for the next year or so, and I know I will be required to pass the TOPIK amongst other things, but if anyone has any info on their Translation graduates studies, I'd love that too! ^^

• 2 weeks later...
Guest kiiin1234

Hi all,

I am going to Yonsei summer school this coming few weeks, and wonder how do students keep their money. Are we allowed to open a bank account even if we don;t have a student visa? Cause i don't want to keep the money in the hostel.

And does anyone know if it will be cheaper toget a sumsung phone there, cause my phone is old and planning to get a new one

BTw is there anyway to learn some korean on our own before going there, since i am a non-korean, and can't speak korean though i watched alot of korean drams. hahas, thanks for the help in advance!!

Guest travisd

Heeom said: Does anyone have information about Ewha's Transfer process? I'm looking into it for the next year or so, and I know I will be required to pass the TOPIK amongst other things, but if anyone has any info on their Translation graduates studies, I'd love that too! ^^

Guest Meimiko

kiiin1234 said:

Hi all,

I am going to Yonsei summer school this coming few weeks, and wonder how do students keep their money. Are we allowed to open a bank account even if we don;t have a student visa? Cause i don't want to keep the money in the hostel.

And does anyone know if it will be cheaper toget a sumsung phone there, cause my phone is old and planning to get a new one

BTw is there anyway to learn some korean on our own before going there, since i am a non-korean, and can't speak korean though i watched alot of korean drams. hahas, thanks for the help in advance!!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest rox711

I'm from Singapore, going to yonsei for the 2013 fall language program. It'll be great to meet some of u guys who will be there as well! :))