Study Abroad In Korea?

little mixed girl

Guest xoeulaile

I see that a lot of people are going there over the summer, sounds like fun! Is anyone applying as an exchange/visiting student  for the fall or spring semester of 2013?
What are you guys writing in your motivation letter/statement of purpose? Is it necessary to still introduce yourelf ('My name is..') or not?

• Replies 952
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest forkeeps

I have been accepted to Dankook University for the summer program! I will be tutouring English for two weeks or so, and taking one or two classes (haven't decided yet). I'm actually going a week early to get a cell phone plan, and my boyfriend is going with me and we will stay with his parents. 
Anyone else going this summer? I'm not planning to spend much time with other international students (my advisor told me not to, as she wants us to meet Korean nationals), but it'd be nice to have a couple people to spend some time with and we can all talk about experiences there. 
Plus, I think it'd be fun to travel around with some fellow foreigners, too! 
If anyone else is going early, maybe we could go up to Dankook together. I'm going to be in an apartment on the far east side of Seoul, so I won't be able to meet up with you easily. But, it's worth a shot?

Guest justlisten

It seems to be that a lot of people are posting about Yonsei University's summer program, which I also got into. I was pretty excited about it until I recently read about how North Korea is declaring a state of War on South Korea. Is anyone else having second thoughts about going after hearing about this? I was really looking forward to going, but now I'm not sure if I should still go anymore. Anyone have any advice or opinions on the issue?

Guest kozykat

justlisten said: It seems to be that a lot of people are posting about Yonsei University's summer program, which I also got into. I was pretty excited about it until I recently read about how North Korea is declaring a state of War on South Korea. Is anyone else having second thoughts about going after hearing about this? I was really looking forward to going, but now I'm not sure if I should still go anymore. Anyone have any advice or opinions on the issue?

Guest my_yong

kozykat said: justlisten said: It seems to be that a lot of people are posting about Yonsei University's summer program, which I also got into. I was pretty excited about it until I recently read about how North Korea is declaring a state of War on South Korea. Is anyone else having second thoughts about going after hearing about this? I was really looking forward to going, but now I'm not sure if I should still go anymore. Anyone have any advice or opinions on the issue?

Guest kozykat

my_yong said: kozykat said: justlisten said: It seems to be that a lot of people are posting about Yonsei University's summer program, which I also got into. I was pretty excited about it until I recently read about how North Korea is declaring a state of War on South Korea. Is anyone else having second thoughts about going after hearing about this? I was really looking forward to going, but now I'm not sure if I should still go anymore. Anyone have any advice or opinions on the issue?

Guest forkeeps

I wouldn't be overly concerned with North Korea right at this point. You need to consider the fact there's just been a leadership change after a long period of time - the current leader is (and this is according to news I get translated to me from my Korean friends) basically putting on a power show right now. You also need to consider the fact that the new leader is young, and likely also must prove himself to higher members of the North Korean military, too. Does this mean they won't actually go into action? No, it doesn't. But right now nothing else has been done other than to dissolve the agreement North and South Korea had. Their agreement was NEVER peace, and the two Koreas have technically been at war for several decades now, anyway. 
I have also done a lot of planning for my trip abroad. Yeah, it would suck if we can't go. But what if Korea really does go to war? It's kind of selfish of us to sit here and whine about our failed plans abroad if they go to war. There are bigger problems than missing out on some university student tourists. 
But my South Korean friends and their parents aren't overly concerned right now.They say North Korea knows any actual motion of war would be stupid. BBC news didn't seem overly concerned right now. I suggest doing what every country is doing right now - continue on with your plans, while facing the slight possibility that North Korea could do something stupid. 
What I would be concerned with is the fact that the South Korean president just said South Korea is going into action if North Korea threatens them again. 

Guest timetakesforever

I went to Yonsei University for a summer program 4 years ago and it was a lot of fun. The only thing though is that my Korean didn't get spectacularly better... Any recommendations on intensive language summer programs in Seoul?

Guest wengie1430292450

jaechung253 said: my_yong said: jaechung253 said: i plan on learning korean this 2013 summer and the sogang program really interests me (due to their emphasis on developing verbal skills). but man, the thought of going to another country alone and not really knowing the language seems pretty intimidating (i gots the korean blood but im raised in canada). im kinda scared to take the plunge and im wondering if anyone else is going through this process?

also what is your input on the 10 week KLEC program vs the 5 week KIP program? i really like the KIP due to its inclusion of cultural immersion activities (doubt you will be bored during the 5 weeks) but i think 5 weeks is way too short. can i really improve hangul in just 5 weeks?

the KLEC program focuses strictly on teaching korean and is 10 weeks long, but doesnt include anything else... i feel like i will find myself more bored than i would in the KIP.

im horrible with decisions and it would be really nice to hear anyones input on this topic, whether you experienced it or not. so yeah thanks!

kozykat said: Hey! I actually applied to Sogang University for the 20hr/week Korean language program this coming summer 2013 (the one that lasts 10 weeks); all I have to do is to transfer the tuition. I'm just wondering if there are any other people who applied and who are planning to go? It would be really nice to know some people beforehand since I don't know anyone in Seoul lol..

Guest kozykat

Ohhh yay! I didn't bother doing the placement test..I just asked them to place me in the first level for students who know to write/read the alphabet haha. When I asked them, they didn't have any dorms for the summer session, did you decide where you're gonna stay??
xingg said: kozykat said: Hey! I actually applied to Sogang University for the 20hr/week Korean language program this coming summer 2013 (the one that lasts 10 weeks); all I have to do is to transfer the tuition. I'm just wondering if there are any other people who applied and who are planning to go? It would be really nice to know some people beforehand since I don't know anyone in Seoul lol..

kozykat said: Ohhh yay! I didn't bother doing the placement test..I just asked them to place me in the first level for students who know to write/read the alphabet haha. When I asked them, they didn't have any dorms for the summer session, did you decide where you're gonna stay??
xingg said: kozykat said: Hey! I actually applied to Sogang University for the 20hr/week Korean language program this coming summer 2013 (the one that lasts 10 weeks); all I have to do is to transfer the tuition. I'm just wondering if there are any other people who applied and who are planning to go? It would be really nice to know some people beforehand since I don't know anyone in Seoul lol..

Guest wildcard.

Anyone applied for the KGSP (Korean Government Scholarship Program) 2013 program for Grad studies? There are 3 selection processes and I have thus far gotten through the 1st Selection. Now waiting on word from the 2nd selection which will come out end of this month so I'm pretty much freeeeeeeeeaking out. I just wanted to know if someone here has applied for that program as well and which schools you picked. Who knows, we may end up at the same place! I'll be doing Biotechnology btw.

Guest wolfie2013

I did an exchange program at Korea University just last semester. Great program! Only issues I saw was that they accepted too many students for certain majors, and when registration rolled around, most students in popular majors got left out in the dust and had to scramble to register for b.s. courses. Luckily I had a small major so I managed to register for my classes without any worry. Some students however, were extremely upset about how the school did that, and I feel for them. 
They have a buddy program but I stopped interacting with the other internationals after meeting a few snobbish ones. 

Guest natgnobej

Is Daegu University a good one? :) I know it might not be on par with Sogang, Yonsei or SNU but is it a nice university?