Lee Seo Jin 이서진 (3MAD Guest)

Admin

Grandpas Over Flowers (Greece) (ep1): Highlights
Whee, the halbaes are back after a year-long hiatus for another trip. This time to Greece, Land of the Fabled Greek Gods…and with not one, but two porters in tow.

1. The pre-trip preparations
As usual, Na PD gathers the crew, the halbaes and Seo-jinnie for a work lunch, to brief them on the upcoming trip. Although the location has yet to be disclosed, Shin-gu halbae makes a really calculated guess for Greece as their next destination. Bingo. With a stopover in Dubai, much to the halbaes’ delight. (Seo-jinnie as usual, looks baleful)
But what is even more spine tingling is Baek Il-sub halbae’s off the cuff comment that Na PD “must have invited someone else” on this trip; based on experience, there’s “always a surprise” before the start of each trip. (flashbacks to the France’s trip, with Lee Seo-jin‘s “surprise” job as menial labourer, Taiwan trip, with Sunny Lee as Seo-jinnie’s surprise, Spain trip with the nasty cheat-the-old-man-of-his-hard-earned-money trick on Lee Soon-jae halbae)

Even Na PD is thrown off by Il-sub halbae’s comment — cos a week earlier, he had juz met with Choi Ji-woo. She is to be the surprise guest for the Greece trip. Ji-woo unnie is rather game for the trip, priding herself on her organisation skills, her athletic abilities…generally, she sees the trip as not a “working trip” but a rather “fun” one. And cue the editing crew to show us snippets of future scenes where the exact opposite happens. I hope Ji-woo unnie doesn’t regret tagging along when she returns.

As homework, Ji-woo unnie gets to book the hotel stay in Dubai…and given that it’s Dubai (read: extremely expensive place to stay), it’s really difficult to book a nice hotel for the 3 nights they are staying there. But she manages to get a rather reasonably priced hotel, near the airport and very near the metro. (but…is a good deal really that good?)
2. Ms. Choi Mi-hyang
And so everyone packs for the trip, and Seo-jinnie gives up halfway throwing stuff into his luggage. (lol, poor chap) Ji-woo unnie…erm, kinda overpacked? Anyway, D-Day rolls around and everyone meets at the airport. Na PD pretends to pass Seo-jinnie the boarding passes for distribution…and Seo-jinnie ends up with an extra ticket, for a Ms. Choi Mi-hyang. He looks puzzled for a while and Na PD explains it’s their “Dubai tour guide”.
 imageAt the same time, our “Dubai tour guide” arrives at Incheon Airport, and sneaks up to the halbaes. Yep, Choi Mi-hyang = Choi Ji-woo. The former is her registered name, the latter, her stage name. And I don’t need to emphasise how happy the halbaes and in particular, our Original Porterboy (aka Seo-jinnie) are, with the new (and very beautiful) helper.

On the plane, Ji-woo unnie passes around Kao’s Megu-rhythem hot steam eye masks (offhand: they are really nice to use, i swear by them) for the halbaes to ease their fatigue for the 10h flight to Dubai. See, having a woman in the group is so different. While the men zzz, Ji-woo unnie polishes up her English, and memorises the entire route from airport to hotel.

read full: https://nekosdrama.wordpress.com/2015/04/02/grandpas-over-flowers-greece-ep1-highlights/

• Like 2

April 2, 2015
Star producer Na Young-seok reveals secrets to his successMan behind ‘3 Meals’ also spills what goes on behind the scenes
BY JEONG A-RAM [estyle@joongang.co.kr] INSIDE Korea JoongAng Daily

02072001.jpg
Na Young-seok, one of the hottest and most successful entertainment show producers, says he has never been trendy. Instead, as someone who grew up in the countryside, he says he is attracted to things that have rural and analogue elements. By Kim Gyeong-bin
Viewers were bewildered when producer Na Young-seok first appeared in a cameo role on KBS reality TV program “One Night, Two Days.”
At the time, celebrities dominated these types of shows, but the producer won the audience over with his personality, as well as the innovative ideas he came up with to make the program more exciting. 
After transferring to entertainment company CJ E&M, Na has come up with a series of hits such as “Grandpas Over Flowers,” in which four actors in their 70s are followed backpacking in different countries, and “Three Meals a Day,” where celebrities must fend for themselves in a rural setting. 
The programs captivated viewers with their simple yet emotional concepts. 
02072023.jpg
“One Night, Two Days” on KBS
Star producer Na found a moment to talk about his programs with the JoongAng Ilbo, an affiliate of the Korea JoongAng Daily.
Q. It was interesting how Cha Seung-won, Yoo Hae-jin and Son Ho-jun seem to fit into specific roles in “Three Meals a Day.” Did you plan this?
A. I never plan ahead and did not intend for this to happen. I just focused on showing the original personalities of the cast. 
Actor Cha’s cooking has become the talk of the town, so much so that some people don’t believe he has no help from the show’s crew. Is this true?
The show’s backdrop is a fishing hamlet, and even the fishermen don’t know what they will catch. Cha had to cook what he could with the prepared ingredients. He cooked 70 percent of the dishes on the show. We sometimes ask him to make unexpected food such as bread or fish cakes. When he baked the bread it really surprised me. 
02072217.jpg The spinoff of “Three Meals a Day,” set in a fishing village

Humorous subtitles seem to have been another key to making the show such a huge success. Do you agree?
Five to six junior directors on my team come up with the subtitles. Of course, I edit them after they finish, but their popularity is down to the directors. If viewers like the background music and subtitles, it’s all because of them.
What do you think are other factors that contribute to its popularity? 
There are rest times in the show. I tried to show the stars at night and make viewers listen to raindrops on a rainy day. There were even scenes shown from the point of view of a dog. One day, director Lee Jin-ju asked me to film the town through a camera on the dog’s neck. I could tell it actually had their own life and world from this experience. 
The program is appealing because it’s unique. Was it inspired by your personality?
I’m not a geek who has a special uniqueness, yet my background growing up in Cheongju, North Chungcheong, might have given me a chance to develop this. 
The village where I grew up was surrounded by farmland, and I assume it makes me like the ambience of country scenery. I’m the perfect opposite of trendy and sophisticated people. 
So you think having grown up in the countryside affects your work? 
Of course it has influenced a lot of my work. When I planned the reality show “Grandpas Over Flowers,” many rising stars were discussed to take the leading roles, but my heart told me to work with the elder actors. They look old and have this audacity, but their warm hearts fascinated me. 
02072057.jpg“Three Meals a Day” on tvN
What is your strength as a producer? 
I have specialized in reality shows, which enables me to take a story from anyone. For instance, I can make any story from the reporters and cameramen if I spend three to four days doing it. Everyone has their own personality and their view on life, which naturally creates stories when they are put together with other people. 
Do you have any preference when you choose people for your shows? 
I like grown-ups who have years of life experience. I especially respect people who have a solid point of view on the world and act straightforwardly. 
I don’t like people who try to manipulate themselves into something they are not to appeal to viewers. Some celebrities think about how he or she will appear on screen and act how they want to come across rather than as who they actually are. This adds up to nothing. 
Who has inspired you the most on all your shows? 
Every single cast member has a virtue I can learn from, but Yoo Hae-jin was the one I wanted to take after the most. He always considers others. Inside he is very strong, which makes him keep to his own way. I want to be like him when I get old.
Ok Taec-yeon and Son Ho-jun are younger than your usual stars. Why did you include them in your shows?
Although Ok is a member of a K-pop group and is young, he has his own personality and shows this instead of acting the way he thinks the public wants him to act. Son is a person who persistently works hard, which has been proven in “Three Meals a Day.” He created a balance between Cha and Yoo, who have their own marked individuality. 
02072041.jpg “Grandpas Over Flowers” on tvN

The episode of “Grandpas Over Flowers” set in Greece premiered on March 27. What should the viewers know before they watch the show? 
There is not a big difference between the new show and the previous series except that actress Choi Ji-woo will appear in it. The fact that nothing changes could make the audience bored since the same traveling concept keeps being repeated, but I did not want to make any changes to the show. The role of Choi as a porter definitely switched up the atmosphere, though. 
Aren’t you anxious about it being successful?
The viewer ratings can always decline. I don’t want to make a fancy reality show where I just think about the ratings. I want to keep my tone when I make a reality show. 

• Like 2

April 2, 2015
Hit Travel Reality Series 'Grandpas Over Flowers' Takes On Greece, premiering Top Rated with Addition of Choi Ji-woo
Source: Hancinema.net photo580643.jpg
CJ E&M's primetime travel reality has returned for a fourth season, with a title 'Grandpas over Flowers in Greece'. Premiered on March 27 in Korea, the program took the night's top ratings, reaching an average viewership of 10% with the highest at 12.5%. In this installment, the usual quartet of seasoned actors travels around Greece with actor Lee Seo-jin who gets some help this time from actress Choi Ji-woo, who is most well-known throughout Asia for her work in television drama Winter Sonata. The first episode features beautiful scenery of Dubai, the UAE, a stop-over to Greece, and the two helpers' cute squabble over budget.
photo580642.jpg
At a press conference, held in southern Seoul on March 24, Choi Ji-woo noted, "Lee Seo-jin nagged about my spending during our trip. I strongly disagree and hope to hear from viewers what they think after watching the show (laugh)". Initially aired in 2013, Grandpas over Flowers is a travel-themed reality show, starring veteran actors in their 70's who visit various destinations, accompanied by a popular young Korean actor. The show has received stellar reviews from fans and critics alike for its amusing portrayals of inter-generational interaction and the new kind of leisure being explored by many adventurous elderly. Grandpas over Flowers in Greece airs on tvN, Fridays at 9:30 PM (KST).

• Like 2

While waiting for ep.2 of GOF Greece, I watched Running Man (the Jan. 2015 ep.) when Seo Jinnie was one of the guests with Lee Seung Gi and Moon Chae Won. I couldn't help but laughing when the RM team and Seung Gi were trying to get him to do things that he didn't want to do and he resisted. I like the fact that he is true to himself and has no problem showing it. He doesn't try to hide his feeling and pretend to be nice. I also like when he tells it as it is. When he likes or dislikes something, he would let you know without beating around the bush. As grumpy as most people say and they nickname him, I think he is a soft person in a way, judging from how loving he is towards his neice Ellie. I guess this was one of the reasons Na PD cast him for 3 Meals a Day and GOFs since Na PD himself said he likes real people. So when he smiled and showed off his dimples during the Greece trip must've meant he was having a good time and enjoyed spending time with his beautiful assistant. That's a good sign. I do hope we will get to see him (and possibly with CJW) a little while longer since they get along so well. A drama of these 2 would be nice too but I like to see them as themselves more.

• Like 2

April 3, 2015
Grandpas Over Flowers in Greece: Episode 1
by javabeans | Dramabeans.com
greece1-00466a.jpg
javabeans: The halbaes are back! It feels like we’ve been off the Na PD train for a while, but really, it was just the one show (Three Meals a Day).

girlfriday: And even that show, we watched most of. It was just less interesting to recap on an episode-by-episode basis.
javabeans: So we open with a teaser introducing our main players, all of whom have been given Greek-sounding nicknames, like leader halbae Lee Soon-jae as Soon-zeus, Shin Gu as Gu-seidon, Park Geun-hyung as Geun-pollo, and Baek Il-sub as Heracles-sub.
girlfriday: And this time, joining Original Luggage Boy Lee Seo-jin is actress Choi Ji-woo, nicknamed Ji-woo-phrodite. We know what to expect now from the halbaes, but it’s the luggage duo that makes me excited for this new season.
javabeans: You and all of Korea. I’m pretty sure the entire nation is on this matchmaking train.
girlfriday: With the halbaes driving that train! And we all know that the halbaes get what they want.
javabeans: At least that’s what I’m hopin’!

Read the rest of GOF recap at DB coffee5.gif

• Like 2

Just finished reading the recap of ep.1 from DBDimple man: You're such a sweet man towards the lady (CJW). You tried to calm her down when she was upset with the hotel reservation even though you were thinking that she misread the fees. You bit your tongue and tried to make her feel better. Second, you put a lot of efforts into looking for a restaurant so that the halbaes and the lady could have a nice dinner and a good view to the fountain show. Third, you're smart, smooth and charming that you got the Dubai prince to arrange for a free observation deck visit at the Burj Khalifa. Good Job Dimple Man !! I am anxiously waiting to read the ep. 2 recap from DB.
p.s. The lady was just too sweet to be mad at, huh ?!? I got cha !! That's why your dimples were flying all over Dubai and soon Greece ... aigoo ... !!

• Like 2

April 3, 2015
‘Grandpas Over Flowers’ grandpas and Lee Seo Jin went desert ‘All different’
Source: Innolife.com
13919_1.jpg
‘Grandpas Over Flowers’ H4 Lee Soon-Jae, Shin-Gu, Park Geun-Hyung, Baek Il-Sub, and ‘Porters’ Lee Seo-Jin and Choi Ji-Woo went desert tour in Dubai. 
At the Greece episode of tvN ‘Grandpas Over Flowers’ which was aired on 3rd, there were H4 and two porters having the second days in Dubai. 
Baek Il-Sub was overly chatty after the desert race, and Lee Soon-Jae fell into the history lecture at sandy hill. Shin Gu concentrated on sand play alone, and Park Gun-Hyung romantically called his wife, watching the sunset of desert.
Lee Seo-Jin only worried about meals and schedules, without looking scenes of desert, and Choi Ji-Woo always smiled, guiding them to shooting point.
Especially at this broadcast, there was a war of nerve between Lee Seo-Jin, who thinks the cheap lodging is the best, and Choi Ji-Woo, who thinks the most important thing is lodging. 
Meanwhile ‘Grandpas Over Flowers’ Greece episode will be aired on every Friday at 9:45. [Photo=tvN]

• Like 2

April 4, 2015
‘Grandpas over Flower’ Lee Seo Jin laughs with Choi Ji Woo “Why”
Source: Innolife.com
13930_1.jpg
Lee Seo-Jin and grandpas are into the charms of Choi Ji-Woo in ‘Grandpas over Flower’. On tvN backpack trip project ‘Grandpas over Flower - Greece’ episode 2 broadcast on April 3rd, there was the trip of 2nd day including the Dubai desert tour and how they entered Greece.

Including visiting the mosque that you can feel the hidden beauty of Dubai and gold market, grandpas and two porters visiting the desert for the first time of their lives were broadcast. Choi Ji-Woo worked as a good travel guide with her bright smile and energy. She gave them the travel information she’s prepared, and she made Lee Seo-Jin and grandpas smile with snacks in between. When Lee Seo-Jin was lost in Greece, she overcame the crisis by asking the road herself.
‘Grandpas over Flower’ episode 2 ranked top within cable and newly joined programs with 9.3% of national viewer’s rating. [Photo=tvN ‘Grandpas over Flower’ Greece]

• Like 2

I went back and read the recap of 3 Meals ep.1 and 2 and also GOF Spain from DB. The more I read about Seo Jinnie, the more I find him an interesting person. Apart from being blunt and grumpy at times, he is quite a smart person. He can measure up to Na PD's expectation. They are quite competitive when it comes to exercising their brain and conning each other. He wouldn't let Na PD get away with it. He tries to get it back every time. I think Na PD finds him challenging and vice versa and that's why they're still doing shows together. I'm not surprised that he was also given a name "Seo-Genius". I can also see that he is gentle and caring if/when he wants to and to whom he wants to. He doesn't just do it frivolously which makes it precious when he really cares for someone. So if he really likes someone, the person should know it because he couldn't lie to himself, that's what I think ... correct me if I'm wrong !

• Like 2

@tilac

That's also what I love about him! It's true that he's grumpy, but he always says what's in his mind rather than giving a sweet talk to appease others. Also, even if he's grumpy, his perfectionist trait makes him put 500% effort to everything that he need to do (that 45 minutes spent to look for a perfect dinner place in Dubai, I'm still in awe)

And yes, his dimples and caring gesture can't hide his true feeling. That's why it's so OBVIOUS to us viewers that he likes Jiwoo hahaha :big grin:

• Like 2

@tannik I can't agree with you more. He is serious when it comes to the task that he is assigned to and he will put a lot of efforts to execute it the best he can. I still remember GOF Spain (I think), he said he would travel with Soon Jae halbae anywhere in the world which I think he meant what he said. He always makes sure Soon Jae halbae is taken care of. I don't mean that he doesn't care about other halbaes but he has this father-son thing with Soon Jae halbae and they both don't talk much but they enjoy each other's company. Whereas Jiwoo, her bubbly personality and aegyo just couldn't stop him from smiling. She compliments what he lacks (bubbly sense of humor, his is dry but Jiwoo's is bubbly) and for that he enjoys being with her. He won't be bored with Jiwoo !!

• Like 2