Ji Chang Wook 지창욱 - Upcoming Dramas: "The Queen Woo" (우씨왕후) (TVING) / "Bulk" (벌크) (JTBC) / Upcoming Movie "Revolver" (리볼버)

cherkell

Drama 'Queen Woo' embroiled in controversy for historical inaccuracies

76fa629a-36c0-4825-a20e-8e809b593d89.jpg

By Park Jin-hai

Tving's upcoming drama "Queen Woo," set in the Goguryeo Kingdom (37 B.C. – A.D. 668), has been embroiled in a controversy related to the issue of historical accuracy.

Slated for release on Aug. 29, the drama tells the story of a queen of Goguryeo who fights to secure the throne after her husband passes away unexpectedly.

However, the teaser videos and promotional stills have ignited debates online, with many saying the costumes and hairstyles of the characters appear to be heavily influenced by Chinese styles rather than accurately representing the Goguryeo period.

The main point of contention was the styling of key characters, including Eulpaso (Kim Mu-yeol), the highest-ranking official of Goguryeo; Go bal-gi (Lee Soo-hyuk), the vicious third prince and heir to the throne; and Go Nam-mu (Ji Chang-wook), the king.

Internet users claimed the middle-part hairstyle of the characters with topknots, hats and costumes are reminiscent of Chinese historical dramas set during the Warring States period or Qin Dynasty.

Criticism has been particularly sharp regarding the portrayal of Eulpaso, a well-known historical figure who served as the prime minister of Goguryeo in the second century. One online commenter pointed out that Eulpaso’s appearance closely resembles a character from the Chinese drama "The Qin Empire," set during the late Warring States period.

Another said, "For a drama set in Goguryeo, we should have seen 'jougwan' (a headdress or topknot crowned with a pair of feathers) and gilt-bronze crowns. That's what sets it apart from China. Even if 100 percent accuracy is difficult, they should have tried their best to get it as close as possible."

The distinctive jougwan is featured in various Goguryeo artifacts including tombs and murals. This style of headdress was also prevalent among the people of the other Three Kingdoms of Korea states, Silla and Baekje. Gilt-bronze crowns served as a key distinguishing element of Goguryeo attire, setting it apart from Chinese clothing of the time.

Additionally, there has been criticism over the fact that Eulpaso's clothing was fastened on the right side, which is Chinese style, whereas Goguryeo people traditionally fastened their clothing on the left side.

24ac0d6f-6a6a-4756-bf14-6359c312b78e.jpg

The drama has caused further anger for many in Korea, especially at a time when a cultural feud between Korea and China is intensifying over the origins of kimchi and hanbok among other things. People expressed concerns the drama could inadvertently strengthen China's efforts to distort history such as through the so-called Northeast Project.

In fact, after the release of the teaser and stills, some Chinese netizens have made mocking comments on Douban, a Chinese social networking service, such as, "The costume and props feel like they were copied from Hengdian (China's Hollywood)," and "Koreans love to copy Chinese culture."

In response to the backlash, Tving has stated that while "Queen Woo" is inspired by historical figures and events, it is ultimately a work of fiction.

"We received advice from experts based on verifiable related historical documents and records and we created the drama based on imagination to portray the part for which there are no records,” the company said.

This is not the first time a Korean period drama has faced such a backlash over inaccurate portrayals, with one drama even having to stop filming in the middle of broadcasting after the controversy over historical distortion grew and advertisers stopped supporting the drama.

SBS' 2021 historical-supernatural series "Joseon Exorcist" was canceled after airing two episodes due to the backlash from many viewers for the historical inaccuracies and Chinese props including the Chinese traditional baked good known as mooncake and a shaman's Chinese-style costume shown in the series.

TvN's 2022 period drama series "Under the Queen's Umbrella" faced controversy for falsely portraying Korean history when it came to royal customs and using modern simplified Chinese characters in scenes.

cd0a1b36-645d-4fd4-8db1-811ca7b4f112.jpg

credit : Korea Times

https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/art/2024/08/688_380240.html

*** During an event for his new project, Ji Chang Wook went around the audience to interact with fans. In a clip that has over 17,000 likes, he was filmed signing a notebook for a fan. Hilariously, instead of handing back the signed notebook as he was called to leave, he gave the pen to the fan and made his way to the front, holding the book. - hahaha - He seemingly realized that he had taken the notebook but after calling out for the person to get it back, Ji Chang Wook realized that the owner of the signed book wasn’t in that theater. Luckily, in the end, the OP shared the video showing that the fan got her signed notebook back as Ji Chang Wook had seemingly passed it onto someone who was able to give this back to the owner.    :Megalol:   :kicks:

*** PH fans reunite and create wonderful “Moments with Ji Chang Wook” at his BENCH fan meeting in Manila! The fan meeting initially started by showing behind-the-scenes of his latest photoshoot with Bench. Ji Chang Wook shared that it was a fun shoot and the post-production of this shoot was beautiful so he was satisfied with the outcome of it and said that he had mixed emotions about this video as well. About the fit and design of Bench, he mentioned that it fits perfectly with his lifestyle since he is an active person and he likes wearing casual styles of clothing. Ji Chang Wook said, “Because of Bench, I was able to meet my Filipino fans as well that’s why I am very grateful for Bench.” When Sam Oh, the host of the event, asked him what he missed about his fans he answered, “Everything about the Filipino fans. I feel very grateful that there are fans in the Philippines who warmly welcome me and the fans that I can meet whenever I go here. I am grateful that I have the opportunity as well to come to the Philippines.” Lucky fans got the chance to interact with him through various segments. In the segment called “Welcome to the Philippines,” fans will have the chance to do the aegyo pose with Ji Chang Wook and complete a heart sign pose on camera. Through this segment, we heard him say some Filipino phrases. Lastly, three lucky fans had the opportunity to reenact some scenes from Lovestruck in the City, The Worst of Evil, and Welcome to Samdal-ri with Ji Chang Wook on stage. He delivered his final message and said, “I am very happy that it was a fun fan meeting. I think I gained a lot of strength because you guys loved it also.  I also realized that I would really love to have more opportunities as well to come back to the Philippines and meet you more often. I hope you look forward to my shows as well. I love you and thank you so much.” Ji Chang Wook wrapped up the fan meeting by performing the song, Even Though I Loved You and I’ll Protect You. He has such a sweet and lovely voice!   :coolshades:

What-a-night-of-K-lig-excitement-and-hea

photogrid_plus_1722766816586375590183440

photogrid_plus_1723043556334793955558179

Escape to Korea's beautiful coasts: Popular K-dramas set in the Picturesque Seaside

Far from the bustling city lights of Seoul, many K-dramas are set in picturesque seaside places where the gentle breeze and ocean waves bring a sense of peace and happiness, soothing our hearts. The serene beaches, dramatic cliffs, and tranquil ocean views create a picturesque backdrop that uniquely charm the storylines.

If you need Vitamin Sea this summer, dive into these popular K-dramas set on the coastal seaside. These dramas not only tell compelling stories but also showcase the natural beauty of Korea's coastlines, adding an extra layer of depth and visual appeal.

Welcome to Samdal-ri

Set in the beautiful picturesque seaside of Jeju Island, “Welcome to Samdal-ri” is about two childhood friends turned former lovers who reunite in their hometown and discover that their love for each other has never faded. The series vividly captures the essence of seaside life, highlighting the roles of Haenyeo, the meteorological administration, and a dolphin protection group.

source : https://www.allkpop.com/article/2024/08/escape-to-koreas-beautiful-coasts-popular-k-dramas-set-in-the-picturesque-seaside

9 best shows

4.  Suspicious Partners 

Cast: Ji Chang Wook, Nam Ji Hyun, Kwon Nara, Choi Tae Joon

IMDB Rating: 7.8 

Release year: 2017

Genre: Romantic comedy, legal, crime

Where to watch: Netflix, Rakuten Viki

Suspicious Partners is one of the most fun and romantic Korean dramas with a base story full of legal twists, crime, and comedy. Noh Ji Wook, a famous prosecutor whose first meeting with Eun Bong Hee is one to remember as she was a murder suspect who he proved innocent.

Soon Bong Hee becomes a trainee under Ji Wook, who together try to catch a serial killer and on the way end up growing feelings for each other. But as things start unraveling it is revealed they might be connected to each other long before they realize. 

source : https://www.pinkvilla.com/entertainment/9-shows-like-whats-wrong-with-secretary-kim-1337344

*** Ji Chang Wook will only have a cameo in "Queen Woo".  The Queen loses him to war. He perishes on the battlefield. I legit got shivers watching the teaser. It's a a dark and intense pre-Joseon sageuk. For me, JUMONG is among the very best of the pre-Joseon sageuks I've watched although, I don't really dig sageuks. Queen Woo will release Part 1 of its narrative on August 29, with Part 2 coming September 12. If it is in two parts does that mean it will stream on Netflix? Why did they have to release this in two parts when it only has 8 episodes?    :cutekitty:

*** On August 12th, Ji Changwook and Lim Jiyeon appeared on Shin Dongyeop's YouTube show to promote their movie 'Revolver'. Lim Jiyeon shared, "When I first saw Ji Changwook, I thought, 'Wow, he's really handsome.'" She then asked, "Do you ever get tired of hearing you're handsome, or do you feel that way when you look in the mirror?" Ji Changwook replied, "I don't actually think I'm that handsome. I’m not tired of hearing it, but compliments make me shy; I don’t know how to react. My self-esteem is actually quite low."   :emmm:

20240813_022204_577_ok%20yt2.jpg

source : Gstarlive

Ji Chang Wook Admits to Feeling Awkward When Praised for His Looks

0003257680_001_20240812192311589.jpg?typ

In the August 12th episode of the YouTube show “Zzanbro” (EP. 54), the stars of the upcoming film RevolverLim Ji Yeon, Ji Chang Wook, Kim Jun Han, and Kim Jong Soo—shared candid moments over drinks.

During the episode, Lim Ji Yeon asked Ji Chang Wook, “People often tell you that you’re handsome. Do you ever look in the mirror and think, ‘Wow, I’m really good-looking’?” To which Ji Chang Wook responded, “I don’t really think that way as much as people might expect.”

When asked by Lim Ji Yeon if he ever gets tired of hearing compliments about his looks, Ji Chang Wook confessed, “It’s not that I get tired of it; it’s more that I feel embarrassed. I don’t know how to react. I have low self-esteem.”

Lim Ji Yeon then shared that she had once asked Song Hye Kyo the same question, and Song had replied that she never gets tired of hearing it. Lim Ji Yeon also playfully admitted, “When someone tells me I’m pretty, I feel a lot more affection toward that person.”

source : https://m.entertain.naver.com/article/108/0003257680

*** Also, during the cast promo of the film 'Revolver', on 'Zzan Bro', the YouTube show, Im Ji Yeon brought up Ji Chang Wook's romantic history. During the episode, the host, comedian Shin Dong-yeob, subtly asked Ji Chang Wook about his dating history. "I like how you keep your relationships private. You've not once been caught dating anyone." Ji Chang Wook replied, "I prefer to keep things quiet when it comes to my dating life, whether it's dating or going through a breakup." Im Ji Yeon, who has been playfully bickering with Ji Chang Wook throughout the show, pointed at him and said, "I know it all (about Ji Chang Wook's dating history)." But, I chose not to ask him about it because of our jobs. As you know, he's an actor, and I'm an actor. So I'm like, 'Okay.', and move on.", she revealed, leaving Ji Chang Wook taken aback. "What do you even know?!", Ji Chang Wook protested, but Im Ji Yeon continued. "I know everything, but I respect his privacy. I respect his dating life. I mean, look at his face. Women won't leave him alone! It would be a surprise if he hadn't been dating anyone."   :cheers:

201972212_700.webp

201972213_700.webp

source : SBS Star

Ji Chang Wook, Dex, Hong Jin Kyung, And Gabee Take On New Identities In “My Name Is Gabriel” Posters

Ji Chang Wook, Dex, Hong Jin Kyung, And Gabee Take On New Identities In “My Name Is Gabriel” Posters

JTBC’s variety program “My Name is Gabriel” has unveiled new character posters!

Produced by PD Kim Tae Ho known for the hit MBC program “Infinite Challenge,” “My Name is Gabriel” is a new variety show which involves the cast experiencing the lives of others abroad for 72 hours.

The new character posters highlight fresh names for the four main characters. Hong Jin Kyung is now known as Kellia, Ji Chang Wook as Felipe, Dex as Rati, and Gabee as Usiel. These new names hint at the 72-hour experiences of others that the show will feature.

As excitement builds for the new lives of the cast, the posters reveal scenes from their new roles. Hong Jin Kyung is featured as Kellia, an aspiring model in Kigali, Rwanda, while Ji Chang Wook is seen as Felipe, a wealthy son-in-law and agave farmer in Guadalajara, Mexico. These glimpses into their new personas are generating interest and enthusiasm.

Spoiler

my-name-is-gabriel-hong-jin-kyung.jpg

my-name-is-gabriel-ji-chang-wook.jpg

One poster shows Dex adjusting to rural life as Rati, a wine jar maker in Tbilisi, Georgia. Another poster features Gabee as Usiel, a street musician in Mexico City, generating excitement. Each poster offers hints and clues about the 72-hour experiences of the characters.

Spoiler

my-name-is-gabriel-dex.jpg

Spoiler

my-name-is-gabriel-gabee.jpg

The next episode of “My Name is Gabriel” airs on August 16 at 10:30 p.m. KST.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1680945wpp/ji-chang-wook-dex-hong-jin-kyung-and-gabee-take-on-new-identities-in-my-name-is-gabriel-posters

[Box office] Movies in theaters this week

20240808050814_0.jpg

“Revolver”

(South Korea)

Opened Aug. 7

Crime

Directed by Oh Seung-wook

Former detective Soo-young (Jeon Do-yeon) is released from prison after being convicted of crimes she did not commit. With one goal in her mind -- getting her some 700 million won back -- she visits the people who owe her one by one.

credit : Korea Herald

https://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20240816050070

*** According to figures released by the Korean Film Council on August 17th, "Revolver" is the clear loser of the summer box office. While films like "Pilot" in its third week and Alien: Romulus in its first week are in fierce competition for first place, "Revolver" has fallen all the way down to thirteenth place. Negative online reviews from users were likewise unimpressed, causing a rapid drop-off for "Revolver" having only at best managing to go as high as third place.   :piggie:

credit : William Schwartz

4 Reasons To Look Forward To New Historical Action Drama

4 Reasons To Look Forward To New Historical Action Drama "Queen Woo"

TVING’s upcoming historical drama “Queen Woo” has shared key reasons to look forward to its premiere!

“Queen Woo” is a historical action drama that follows the story of Queen Woo, who becomes the target of five tribes seeking to gain authority and princes who are after the throne following the sudden passing of the king.

Here are four reasons to tune in to the new drama:

Dramatic transformations by Jeon Jong Seo, Kim Moo Yeol, Jung Yu Mi, Lee Soo Hyuk, Park Ji Hwan, and Ji Chang Wook

“Queen Woo” has been garnering attention for its star-studded cast lineup. Jeon Jong Seo, who is starring in her first historical drama, plays Queen Woo Hee, while Kim Moo Yeol stars as Eul Pa So, the skilled and resourceful prime minister of Goguryeo. Jung Yu Mi plays Woo Hee’s ambitious and two-faced older sister Woo Sun, while Lee Soo Hyuk adds tension to the battle for the throne as Go Bal Gi. Park Ji Hwan brings charisma to his role as the dependable warrior Moo Gol, and Ji Chang Wook plays the benevolent yet courageous King Go Nam Moo. Together, these actors promise a powerful synergy.

Director Jung Se Kyo shared, “I was eager to see how the actors would bring their characters to life within the drama. It was important to have thorough discussions beforehand and let them explore their roles within the given situations to fully develop their characters.” He added, “As you watch the show, I hope you’ll appreciate the thought and effort the actors put into shaping their characters.”

Queen Woo Hee’s remarriage

“Queen Woo” centers around Queen Woo Hee’s decision to follow the tradition of “chisuhon” (levirate marriage), in which a widow marries her deceased husband’s brother in order to remain queen. After the king’s death, Queen Woo leaves the palace to personally select and crown the next king, ensuring she retains her title. The drama highlights the intense 24 hours she spends defending her position, portraying her as a strong and independent woman.

Director Jung Se Kyo explained, “I found it fascinating when I read about Queen Woo, who didn’t just stay within the palace but went out to choose her own future. I wanted to bring this story to life in a drama.” He continued, “I want to show a queen who selects the king with her own hands and crowns him—something we’ve never seen before.”

A gripping, suspenseful historical drama with intense chase and action scenes

“Queen Woo” is an action drama that follows Queen Woo Hee as she searches for a new king after the previous one’s death, all while being pursued by various tribes and princes vying for the throne. Set within a tight 24-hour window, the drama promises fast-paced storytelling and thrilling chase scenes.

Director Jung Se Kyo commented, “We used quick editing to create a sense of urgency and paid special attention to the music and sound mixing. Each tribe has its unique tone and style, which will enhance the visual experience for viewers.” He added, “There are action scenes unlike any that have been seen before in our country, so I hope you look forward to them.”

The intense battle for the throne

In the drama, Queen Woo Hee decides to marry her late husband’s brother to protect what matters most to her after the sudden death of King Go Nam Moo throws the nation into turmoil. She becomes embroiled in the battle for the throne and faces off against the king’s four brothers, including the ruthless third prince Go Bal Gi. With the future of her family and the nation at stake, making the right choice is more critical than ever. The drama focuses on whether Woo Hee can successfully elude the tribes chasing her, find the next king, and continue the line of power during that fateful night.

Director Jung Se Kyo teased, “Please focus on two main aspects: the investigation into the king’s death within the palace and whether Woo Hee can safely return to the palace after marrying the king’s brother outside the palace.”

“Queen Woo” is set to premiere on August 29.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1683154wpp/4-reasons-to-look-forward-to-new-historical-action-drama-queen-woo

*** Filipino K-drama fans can look forward to the highly anticipated historical drama "Queen Woo," set to air on tvN Asia. tvN Asia, available on Cignal TV, will air the first four episodes of the eight-part "Queen Woo" on Aug. 29 at 10:30 p.m. The remaining episodes will be broadcast on Sept. 12.   :glee:

1724307749698Queen-Woo_main-poster_TX_tv

Beginner-friendly K-drama pack

Dive into the impressive world of K-dramas with these top picks perfect for newcomers. From heartwarming romances to thrilling adventures, there’s something for everyone!

Are you new to the impressive world of K-dramas? Don't worry, you're in for a treat! K-dramas offer a unique blend of romance, drama, and amazing storytelling that has impressed audiences worldwide. To help you dive into this exciting genre, we've curated a list of 10 beginner-friendly K-dramas that will introduce you to the magic of Korean storytelling. 

Whether you're a fan of heartwarming romances, thrilling mysteries, or coming-of-age tales, this curated list has something for everyone. From classic favorites to modern hits, these K-dramas will leave you wanting more. So, grab your snacks, get cozy, and start on a journey through the enchanting world of K-dramas!

5. Healer

In Healer, a skilled night courier named Seo Jung Hoo, known as Healer gets caught up in a conspiracy involving a determined reporter and a hidden past. As they uncover secrets, their journey is filled with thrilling action, romance, and mystery. This drama is perfect for K-drama fans who love a mix of excitement and heartfelt moments.

1724334593_copy-of-in-line-image-templat

source : https://www.pinkvilla.com/entertainment/beginner-friendly-k-drama-pack-10-shows-like-reply-1988-crash-landing-on-you-and-more-to-start-your-hallyu-journey-with-1341780

10 most popular K-drama male actors leading the game right now

From romantic heroes to action stars, these male leads lead the K-drama games.

K-dramas have taken the world by storm, and a big part of their charm lies in their unforgettable male leads. These characters, with their charisma, depth, and often heartwarming stories, have captured the hearts of fans everywhere. 

Whether the tender hero, the charming and witty CEO, or the loyal and protective friend, each male lead brings something unique to the screen. 

In this article, we’ll explore the 10 most popular K-drama male leads who have left a lasting impression on viewers. From their iconic roles to the actors’ stellar performances, these characters have become household names and continue to be adored by fans. So, get ready to swoon as we dive into the world of K-dramas' most impressive male leads!

6. Ji Chang Wook

Ji Chang Wook, known for his role in Healer, is a beloved actor among K-drama fans. He's good at doing action scenes and is very charming. In Healer, he plays a fast and strong runner who can fight really well. 

He's really good at this role and makes people like him a lot. Ji Chang Wook can play different kinds of roles and is very cool, so many people are fans of his. He's one of the most popular actors in K-dramas!

https://www.instagram.com/p/C9B-ajbRrKm/?utm_source=ig_embed&ig_rid=0d0e1bfb-25c1-4fe4-9226-5ee4992da78a

source : https://www.pinkvilla.com/entertainment/10-most-popular-k-drama-male-actors-leading-the-game-right-now-byeon-woo-seok-kim-soo-hyun-lee-min-ho-and-more-1342500

*** Upcoming Queen Woo launches next week on August 29, followed by Part 2 on September 12. I won't be tuning in for Queen Woo. I have no reason to watch it because of Ji Chang Wook's cameo role. It looks like a good production, though.   :partyblob: 

*** Ji Chang Wook recently took a great challenge when he he had a role reversal and lived like someone else for a few days in the variety show My Name is Gabriel. In the newest episodes, Ji Chang Wook’s role reversal as father and husband earned a lot of wild reactions from fans around the world while many even wished that the actor soon takes on a father role.  Ji Chang Wook managed to steal millions of hearts as he tried to settle into his new role of being a husband and a father to a small baby girl.  Ji Chang Wook was chosen by the special AI called Gabriel to live life in Mexico as his new identity Luis Felipe for 72 hours. Some scenes from the new episode especially where Ji Chang Wook can be seen warmingly playing with a baby girl. He's “adorable”.   :kaching3:

186907534_my-name-is-gabriel-ji-chang-wo