[Drama 2015] Hwajung 화정

ChelseaS

"Splendid Politics" VS "Heard It Through the Grapevine" 0.2% difference

2015/05/18 | 3 views | 0 Comments | Permalink | Source

MBC "Splendid Politics" and SBS "Heard It Through the Grapevine" are competing with the smallest gap.

According to Nielson Korea, "Splendid Politics" recorded 10.6% which is 0.5% more than the previous episode.

"Heard It Through the Grapevine" recorded 0.3% more than the previous, resulting in 10.4%. It created only a 0.2% gap between itself and "Splendid Politics".

KBS 2TV "Who Are You - School 2015" only managed 6.0%.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For those who want to review Ep 9 & 10 while waiting for the sub on Ep 11 to come out, this is the recap by the Talking Cupboard. Enjoy.

Splendid Politics (Hwajung) Ep 9_10

SPLENDID POLITICS (HWAJUNG) : EPISODES 9 & 10

I am happy to report that the last weeks’ episodes had me giggling and crying, and I realize that this drama has truly made me fall for it! 10 episodes have aired to date and the story is getting more interesting, now that most of the characters are in the same place that is the capital of Joseon. I am impatient to see the future developments but at the same time, I don’t want it to end too quickly!

[Episode 9]

Hwajung.E09.150511.HDTV.XviD-LIMO.avi_20150518_224202.354 Hwajung.E09.150511.HDTV.XviD-LIMO.avi_20150518_224213.169

Gae-si, the walking birth control

She was not even a beloved consort of the king, yet she was the one who played an important role in ensuring that there would be no other siblings rivalry between Gwanghae’s kids. Having witnessed how hard it was for Gwanghae to claim his rightful position before he eventually succeed, Lady Kim took it upon herself that it was her duty to ensure that history won’t repeat itself with the current Crown Prince. Even the Queen knew about it but she couldn’t do anything because Lady Kim was taking the necessary steps, even if her methods were not that clean.

Oh, I love how she had started to wear the evil eyeliners and that her hanbok had gotten darker and more impressive.

Hwajung.E09.150511.HDTV.XviD-LIMO.avi_20150518_224350.606 Hwajung.E09.150511.HDTV.XviD-LIMO.avi_20150518_224321.308

The pact

Joo-won found out that Hwa-yi/ Jungmyung worked with a sulfur mine and asked for her help to arrange a meeting with a sulfur dealer. Of course, Hwa-yi wasted no time to help him, with the hope to make Joo-won her ticket to return to Joseon. I guess Maruno still had his humanistic side to him because he was aware of Hwa-yi’s real intention of helping the Joseon envoy, yet he let her took the risk of meeting the dealer if that could bring her back to Joseon.

Hwajung.E09.150511.HDTV.XviD-LIMO.avi_20150518_224417.290 Hwajung.E09.150511.HDTV.XviD-LIMO.avi_20150518_224453.702

Deal and sight-seeing

Joo-won dressed up as a Japanese man for the meeting and Hwa-yi accompanied him there. I gotta give the credit to Hwa-yi because if not because of her, the deal might not go through, but Joo-won was still the upright man he was since childhood and chided her for risking Joseon’s safety. Ah, this might be where the misunderstanding started between them, since Joo-won seemed to be a Gwanghae loyalist from Hwa-yi’s point of view.

Hwajung.E09.150511.HDTV.XviD-LIMO.avi_20150518_224510.602 Hwajung.E09.150511.HDTV.XviD-LIMO.avi_20150518_224751.361

I really enjoy the sight-seeing scene because Joo-won and Jungmyung met during the complicated moment of her life, hence they didn’t get to have sweet scenes during the childhood portions. Heh, Hwa-yi was having a great time teasing the rigid Joo-won and he was totally trolled during the bathhouse scene! Still, he was a man through and through, and found it hard to resist the temptation of a brothel. Kekeke! I love the budding friendship between these two!

Hwajung.E09.150511.HDTV.XviD-LIMO.avi_20150518_224825.458 Hwajung.E09.150511.HDTV.XviD-LIMO.avi_20150518_224908.063

Gwanghae’s night activities

Gwanghae had joined a trip to the Ming border to Yi-cheom’s suspicion, but he was not the same Gwanghae anymore; he did not hesitate to put down Yi-cheom’s constant enquiry and made a point that he could do what he wanted without reporting everything to Yi-cheom. He actually planned something beforehand with his old acquaintances from the war times  and sneaked out from the camp to meet them. His plan was indeed dangerous, because Gwanghae soon attacked the Ming soldiers stationed at the border to retrieve his spy Heo Gyun, together with a book.

Hwajung.E09.150511.HDTV.XviD-LIMO.avi_20150518_225024.066 Hwajung.E09.150511.HDTV.XviD-LIMO.avi_20150518_225154.367

An act of betrayal?

The exchange scheduled between Joo-won and the smuggler’s side turned awry when the authorities were alerted by no other than Minister Kang. Hwa-yi sacrificed herself by turning herself in, with the hope that Joo-won would save her, but he had another pressing issue he had to deal with: he learned that the trip was not for the sulfur. Gwanghae was only using him as a bait for Minister Kang, and sulfur was just his excuse to lure Minister Kang out of his hiding place. Ooh, that must had hurt Joo-won despite his constant dispute with Gwanghae because he was only carrying his duties, only to have his hard work trampled by the person who asked for his help. 

[Episode 10]

Hwajung.E10.150512.HDTV.XviD-LIMO.avi_20150518_225413.777 Hwajung.E10.150512.HDTV.XviD-LIMO.avi_20150518_225320.498

Save the Princess

Hwa-yi put her faith in Joo-won, because she still remembered his promise to protect her. Ah, she was taking a big risk there, but Joo-won was already planning for her rescue, joined by Ja-kyung. Ja-kyung went to save Hwa-yi and Joo-won was going to join him afterwards, but the everything didn’t go as planned since the ship was  about to sail. Joo-won chose to board the ship first, while Hwa-yi was on the run with Ja-kyung.

Hwajung.E10.150512.HDTV.XviD-LIMO.avi_20150518_225504.915

Ja-kyung decided to stay behind and face the guards chasing after them while Hwa-yi leave first to catch the ship. This felt like a repetition of what she experienced with Lady Choi back then, only for her attendant to die in the explosion to protect her. It was nice to know that Ja-kyung believed that she was indeed a princess, and he promised to follow after her to Joseon. I hope he would keep his promise and return unscathed!

Hwajung.E10.150512.HDTV.XviD-LIMO.avi_20150518_225518.556 Hwajung.E10.150512.HDTV.XviD-LIMO.avi_20150518_225534.914

Hwa-yi was too late when she reached the port as the ship had sailed, and her hope was shattered at that moment…but her hope returned with the return of Joo-won on a small boat to fetch her. Awww, he was so concerned about her, but Hwa-yi was still bitter about abandoning Ja-kyung because of Joo-won’s plan.

Hwajung.E10.150512.HDTV.XviD-LIMO.avi_20150518_225558.968 Hwajung.E10.150512.HDTV.XviD-LIMO.avi_20150518_225611.091

Joo-won ordered his bodyguard to stop the ship so that Hwa-yi and him could catch up with and board the ship, and he was really lucky to escape the scrutinizing Minister Kang’s eyes! He was less than lucky when it came to Hwa-yi/Jungmyung, because she was under the impression that Joo-won was loyal to Gwanghae.

Hwajung.E10.150512.HDTV.XviD-LIMO.avi_20150518_225650.042 Hwajung.E10.150512.HDTV.XviD-LIMO.avi_20150518_230320.636

Touchdown: Joseon

Yeah, everyone’s breathing the same Joseon air at that moment! They reached the country and Hwa-yi/ Jungmyung cursed because she could not tell where she lived before she went to Japan. Hahaha! Joo-won seized the chance to tease her but he was still protective of her, telling Hwa-yi to stay home instead of wandering around the city since she did not have any identification plate with her.

Hwajung.E10.150512.HDTV.XviD-LIMO.avi_20150518_225946.451

This cap was hilarious on its own, simply because of their expressions. HAAAA~

Hwajung.E10.150512.HDTV.XviD-LIMO.avi_20150518_225821.896 Hwajung.E10.150512.HDTV.XviD-LIMO.avi_20150518_225845.583

Grooming the young man, Gwanghae’s style

Gwanghae and Joo-won continued their passive-aggressive interaction. The king was well aware of how angry the young man must had been, but Joo-won kept his cool throughout the audience despite Gwanghae’s continuous attempt to challenge him. Gwanghae then gave an advice to Joo-won, telling the officer to practive being void of emotions after proving his ability to suppress his anger. Was he going to make Joo-won a carbon copy of himself? Gwanghae admitted that he saw someone in Joo-won, and his view was supported by Heo Gyun, who saw Deok-hyung in Joo-won. Awwww that would be the best compliment for him!

Hwajung.E10.150512.HDTV.XviD-LIMO.avi_20150518_230049.097

Hwa-yi, back to Jungmyung

Jungmyung managed to find out where Queen Inmok was staying after asking few people who were reluctant to talk about the matter. She went to catch a glimpse of her mother but found the place heavily guarded. However, she saw Deok-hyung’s friends paying a visit there and she thought that they might be able to help her.

Hwajung.E10.150512.HDTV.XviD-LIMO.avi_20150518_230117.677 Hwajung.E10.150512.HDTV.XviD-LIMO.avi_20150518_230243.487

And then…In-woo appeared at Joo-won’s house searching for his friend but Hwa-yi thought he was an intruder she saw before that. Well…it was just a matter of seconds for In-woo to give a dirty eye at Joo-won, because his upright friend was hiding a lady in his house while pointing at Hwa-yi! Oops, the cat’s out of the bag, but I wouldn’t mind it if they don’t drag it for too long! It’s better for Joo-won to find out sooner ;)

Guest ororomunroe

[spoilers] Hwajung Ep 11

d5.jpg

tv Report - Naver: 'Hwajung' Cha Seung Won becomes 'a proper monarch' who wants to save his people

1. [+235, -8] Cha Seung Won's the reason why I'm staying. The politics part and his scenes are the best things in this drama

2. [+128, -11] Kwanghae is amazing. Congrats on taking the top spot in ratings^^ Looking forward to today's episode.

3. [+16, -1] I always concentrate during Kwanghae's scenes ㅋㅋㅋㅋHis acting never disappoints

Mydaily - Nate

4. [+226, -20] You can just feel Lee Yeon Hee's sucky acting by those photos

5. [+137, -4] I watched ep 1, then forced myself to watch ep 2. That's when I knew that it's a drama I won't be continuing to watch. Compared to KBS 'Jung Do Jeon' and 'Jingbirok', this one is low quality. The acting isn't the biggest turnoff but the plot buildup isn't smooth at all. It's boring.

6. [+28, -8]....Ah Lee Yeon Hee. Seriously.

7. [+20, -1] So this will be the first Cha Seung Won drama I won't ever finish. A waste of his acting talent

8. [+14, -4] Cha Seung Won is so handsome

Cr: kkuljaem

Guest tulipw

MBC 화정- Hwajung's BTS 8- Han Joo Wan & Lee Yoon Hee, Seo Kang Joon 

MBC 화정- Hwajung's BTS 7- Seo Kang Joon & Lee Yoon Hee 

cre IMBC, reup by me

@cedarwood

In further to the discussion of the pulse reading for gender...in Oriental medicine..Men are generally stronger on the left wrist & Women are generally stronger on the right....therefore you can denote when you are holding to a person wrist, left or right

Most common Oriental Medicine practitioner will usually take the pulse at the radial artery pulse on the wrist...The pulse is taken to identify the inner workings of the body, which is unique to each person.  This allows us to better diagnose any conditions.  Through working on a constitutional basis with each person, treatment is often more effective.  The change in the pulse indicates a progression of a condition, and by taking the pulse, Oriental medicine acupuncturists & practitioners are able to follow the disease course by following its progression, thus they are able to predict the outcome of the disease

Is there a differences between Male & Female pulse...yes...female pulses are often weaker, thinner & slightly more rapid than male pulses.  Male pulses are generally stronger in the distal position and weaker in the proximal position and for women, it is the opposite

From the preview of episode 12, it seems that the princess sabotage the weapons department and if she really did that, I wonder how betrayed Hong Joo-Won would be by her actions when her identity is revealed in the future as although he hates the king, he was telling someone in the preview at the drinking parlour that Gwanghae is the king the country needs. 

@cedarwood

In further to the discussion of the pulse reading for gender...in Oriental medicine..Men are generally stronger on the left wrist & Women are generally stronger on the right....therefore you can denote when you are holding to a person wrist, left or right

Most common Oriental Medicine practitioner will usually take the pulse at the radial artery pulse on the wrist...The pulse is taken to identify the inner workings of the body, which is unique to each person.  This allows us to better diagnose any conditions.  Through working on a constitutional basis with each person, treatment is often more effective.  The change in the pulse indicates a progression of a condition, and by taking the pulse, Oriental medicine acupuncturists & practitioners are able to follow the disease course by following its progression, thus they are able to predict the outcome of the disease

Is there a differences between Male & Female pulse...yes...female pulses are often weaker, thinner & slightly more rapid than male pulses.  Male pulses are generally stronger in the distal position and weaker in the proximal position and for women, it is the opposite

​Yep, that's how Deokman was found out in Great Queen Seondeok!

End of Episode 12

It look like Joseon Dynasty accidentally discover sulphur mustards or most commonly know as mustard gas...looking at the animated creepy yellow fog

​Still didnt' help them against the Yuan. 

@cedarwood

​WOW! It's amazing that you know so much, thanks! I really appreciate your sharing knowledge. I would never guess that it's about pulse, I thought more like "lady's wrists" (which is impossible after so many years in mine) and would never find anything better. Now, after 11th episode with the final 10th ep. scene retold it seems obvious. I paid extra attention to look how In Woo wook Hwa Yi's hand. You're right - he could easily take her pulse.

Then he said about her being obvious with that pretty face so it's understandable WHY he took her pulse. :)

Btw In Woo's story is going to be fascinating. Those few scenes in ep. 11th show that he's not a person that is easy to classified. He's complicated and it seems his life is not easy.

For now he's great friend but if he ever change his mind my heart is going to be broken. I really liked In Woo and Joo Won's friendship. Bah! Or maybe I'm wrong and thinking about bad things that only MAY happen in the drama but not necessary. :)

Okay, netizens are clearly super-pressed re Lee Yeon Hee.  But I still haven't seen her act worse than anyone on Gossip Girl. 

​On... where? :blink:

I don't know what's wrong is with Lee Yeon Hee. She's not the best actress ever but I've seen worse and besides she's at least okay. For now she has to play "the adventure" part and she's doing fine. 

Still have one episode to watch but I need english subs for that. Oh, the waiting!

Ep 11  RECAP

By Kihui Kim

Splendid Politics Hwajung episode episode 11 review recap Cha Seung Won Gwanghae Yi ICheom Jung Woong In Lee Yeon Hee Jungmyung Hawi Seo Kang Joon Hong Joo Won Kang In Woo Han Joo Wan Kim Gae Shi Kim Yeo Jin Yi Ja kyung Gong Myeong Kang Joo Sun Jo Sung Ha Hawgidogam Queen Inmok Shin Eun Jung Heo Gyun Ahn Nae Sang Choi Moo Sun

Splendid Politics Hwajung episode episode 11 review recap Cha Seung Won Gwanghae Yi ICheom Jung Woong In Lee Yeon Hee Jungmyung Hawi Seo Kang Joon Hong Joo Won Kang In Woo Han Joo Wan Kim Gae Shi Kim Yeo Jin Yi Ja kyung Gong Myeong Kang Joo Sun Jo Sung Ha Hawgidogam Queen Inmok Shin Eun Jung Heo Gyun Ahn Nae Sang Choi Moo Sun

Hong Joo Won (Seo Kang Joon) is at a total loss for words as Hawi (Lee Yeon Hee) finally confesses that she has been attired as man. He speaks from his heart to his best friend Kang In Woo (Han Joo Wan) and vents his anger about the woman who has deceived by not telling the truth. 
After Hwai left with Joo Won to have an honest talk, In Woo finds a man intruder in his friend's house. In Woo took of his mask is totally surprised at his father's man.

im Gae Shi (Kim Yeo Jin) investigated Doha, a faithful servant to Kang Joo Sun (Jo Sung Ha), in secret advises Gwanghae (Cha Seung Won) to keep eyes on Joo Sun saying sometimes an enemy lies hidden in the likeness of a friend. 

Splendid Politics Hwajung episode episode 11 review recap Cha Seung Won Gwanghae Yi ICheom Jung Woong In Lee Yeon Hee Jungmyung Hawi Seo Kang Joon Hong Joo Won Kang In Woo Han Joo Wan Kim Gae Shi Kim Yeo Jin Yi Ja kyung Gong Myeong Kang Joo Sun Jo Sung Ha Hawgidogam Queen Inmok Shin Eun Jung Heo Gyun Ahn Nae Sang Choi Moo SunSplendid Politics Hwajung episode episode 11 review recap Cha Seung Won Gwanghae Yi ICheom Jung Woong In Lee Yeon Hee Jungmyung Hawi Seo Kang Joon Hong Joo Won Kang In Woo Han Joo Wan Kim Gae Shi Kim Yeo Jin Yi Ja kyung Gong Myeong Kang Joo Sun Jo Sung Ha Hawgidogam Queen Inmok Shin Eun Jung Heo Gyun Ahn Nae Sang Choi Moo Sun

Joo Sun invited Yi Icheom (Jung Woong In) to his house hosts King's right-hand man with devotion and care. Icheom is dubious about the unexpectedly profuse hospitality.
In Woo gets to know his father's man stole into the friend's house because of Hawgidogam.
"I am not interested in having power you said, but I will build up my own power if you try to break my best friend." he warns him.
He meets his mother on the way out and she eyes him with contempt because he is the child of a low-class concubine. He clenches his teeth.

Splendid Politics Hwajung episode episode 11 review recap Cha Seung Won Gwanghae Yi ICheom Jung Woong In Lee Yeon Hee Jungmyung Hawi Seo Kang Joon Hong Joo Won Kang In Woo Han Joo Wan Kim Gae Shi Kim Yeo Jin Yi Ja kyung Gong Myeong Kang Joo Sun Jo Sung Ha Hawgidogam Queen Inmok Shin Eun Jung Heo Gyun Ahn Nae Sang Choi Moo SunSplendid Politics Hwajung episode episode 11 review recap Cha Seung Won Gwanghae Yi ICheom Jung Woong In Lee Yeon Hee Jungmyung Hawi Seo Kang Joon Hong Joo Won Kang In Woo Han Joo Wan Kim Gae Shi Kim Yeo Jin Yi Ja kyung Gong Myeong Kang Joo Sun Jo Sung Ha Hawgidogam Queen Inmok Shin Eun Jung Heo Gyun Ahn Nae Sang Choi Moo Sun

Princess Jeongmyeong makes a polite apology for not telling the truth demanding herself like a man to put Joo Won's mind at ease, but he seems to be a little restless. 
In a room at the same tavern, Heo Gyun (Ahn Nae Sang) drinks with Doha to reveal the force behind him. Doha walks out on Joo Won and Hawi. He harbors suspicion about the young worker in a sulfur mine in Japan standing next Hong. 
On their way home, Hwai asks him to keep the promise for her to work in Hawgidogam. He refuses resolutely at first, but staggers at her words that she knows a method of smelting sulfur with steam.

Crown prince attends at Manggweolrye (A ritual of celebrating the birth of Emperor Ming) on the King's behalf who caused a stomachache all of a sudden. But Gwanghae is idly leafing through a book drinking tea. 
Senior statesmen complain about the King's inappropriate behavior, but Gwanghae even speaks with finality that he will not dispatch soldiers to Ming to seek utilitarianism. Joo Sun urges the King to meet the needs of Ming saying the nation of poor power can't stand alone without Ming's help. 
"I have been waiting for someone saying like that. Today the door of Hawgidogam will open until has been shut tight. Let's go together." Gwanghae says decisively.

Jeongmyeong's face clouds over when she hears the news that the King is coming. The visitor watches the stepbrother from a distance with eyes brimming with tears. 
Joo Sun is totally disconcerted by the tremendous amount of sulfur will be supplied from Japan and he recalls Joo Won's dripping gown in the returned ship from Japan. Gwanghae shows Choi Moo Sun's stolen book about manufacturing methods of gunpowder which Heo Gyun had regained strenuously insisting that Joseon has to build up its power to stand on its own feet without Ming's help. The senior statesmen so surprised they just stand there with his mouth gaping.

Gwanghae sincerely expresses his thanks to Joo Won about the new start. The young retainer appears a little confused at the unfamiliar attitude. After the King left, he is lost in deep thought.
Meanwhile Joo Win confirms success of Hawi's steam refining method. 

Hawi caught by guards of the organization because she doesn't have pass and doesn't know secret code bumps into Gwanghae about to leave. She stares at the King and he looks closely at the young man in wonder.

Archived