[Drama 2014- 2015] FAMILY SECRETS 가족의 비밀 TVN 9:40 KST

valsava

@jadecloud ....thank you for imformation.
TS went against his mother in order to marry JY yet cheats on her?! Why did he go through all that trouble if he was going to cause problems in the marriage and break her heart. Wow...the man is something else. He barely does anything to stop his family from bullying her and carries on with an affair. *smh*

• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FS ep 1 screencaps and brief recap...
Ep 1 begins with Jung Yeon driving to meet her missing daughter, Eun Byeol's kidnapper. Simultaneously, matriarch Joo Ran and her clan is at the grave site of dead grandson, Jung Yeon and Tae Sung's youngest son, and Eun Byeol's dongsaeng. 
Matriarch Joo Ran has a perculiar and eerie view of a mother's existence on earth. It speaks volumes of her hatred for daughter-in-law Jung Yeon because in the matriarch's eyes, she was the one who should have died instead of the only future heir, the only grandson. Joo Ran's hatred and bitterness made her restrict Jung Yeon from joining the family when they visit the grave site.

cnSuQjq.jpg
KfslTrm.jpg
JR: As a mother...
Rt5SoOj.jpg
JR: As long as it is for your child...
h2augO0.jpg
JR: Because God cannot be everywhere, all the time, so a mother existence is created... 
ofsCGkL.jpg
JR: (A mother is meant) To die in the place of her/his child...
N4zz6aS.jpg
JR: That's the reason for a mother's existence.

From the above perculiar views (about a mother's worth on earth, sent by GOD for an eerie reason) of matriarch Joo Ran...this is the prelude to ep 1... showing the antagonistic relationship between MIL Joo Ran and DIL Jung Yeon. This hatred and bitterness that lies in the matriarch's heart is probably the main premise for the plot as it unfolds.
0STOoZh.jpgUZ6wqkk.jpgp8isuVo.jpgJR: How dare...
NWqR0jy.jpgJR: You come here...
xoqemrr.jpgJR: You are the one who ought to be dead...
oO17HLG.jpgJR: How can you let my child die?
c9r0CXs.jpgOWAbifV.jpg
AZN0s0t.jpgseDNtSP.jpg

FS ep 1 screencaps and brief recap..
Jung Yeon arrives at the meeting place... lugging a luggage full of cash, at the site where her daughter, Eun Byeol's kidnapper has demanded to be given the ransom. She hears the phone ringing in the deserted house...and answers it...then looks at the newspaper and daughter's photo on the table...begins to cry...And the flashback begins.
8tjBiSG.jpg

72Au2EN.jpg

jibzcUQ.jpg

cAPUhDf.jpg

tJt7gHY.jpg
Muffled voice of kidnapper: You will not be able to see your daughter forever... (phone went dead)
rZzz3cx.jpg
Newspaper Caption: Jin Wang Conglomerate grand-daughter, Go Eun Byeol, unknown if dead or alive.
KiXoQjK.jpg

xf1rmTS.jpg

Flashback begins...Eun Byeol returns home from overseas. Her fiance Min Hoo picks her up from the airport. Mom Jung Yeon and dad Tae Sung have prepared a BBQ dinner to celebrate daughter's home-coming. 
0At9oKv.jpgKIgGb6s.jpg

From dad Tae Sung's conversation with Min Hoo,.. it seems Min Hoo's dad is a powerful figure about to become more powerful. Perhaps the reason why Eun Byeol is being betrothed to Min Hoo, since we are later shown Eun Byeol does not actually love Min Hoo but has someone whom she loves, and whom her halmoni is aware of.

sFfeEyl.jpg
TS: From now on, the one responsible for you is no longer dad, but is Prosecutor Seo. 
N3Cb0IW.jpg
TS to MH: How is Chief Prosecutor? (i.e. Min Hoo's dad) 
7A4jLbH.jpg
TS: I heard he's soon to become Head Of Prosecution...
vbY9fba.jpg
MH: It's all thanks to matriarch Jin.

Flashback continues...At the opening of Jin Wang Art Gallery, matriarch Jin Joo Ran made a surprising announcement.
SWc68VQ.jpg
BuV2j2I.jpg
JR: Today, the opening ceremony is for a new venture... 
Tk5aX6t.jpg
JR: Ah...I almost forgot...
iFwsXws.jpg
JR: The one who will inherit and oversee Jin Wang Scholarship Foundation...  
E9V7zZC.jpg
JR: The one who will inherit and oversee Jin Wang Scholarship Foundation...  

zeH0Xb4.jpg
JR: And manage the business of Jin Wang Art Gallery, as Jin Wang Art Gallery's 5th generation gallery head...
P5cROXW.jpg
JR: Also rep Go Tae Sung's wife...
phiFTRB.jpgJR: Also Jin Joo Ran's daughter-in-law whom I am proud of...
1xPEZid.jpgJR: Han Jung Yeol.
L4hNefD.jpg
RL6LkbM.jpg
6F3g70W.jpg
(Everyone in the family, esp. Jung Yeol herself, was stunned by her appointment to manage Jin Wang Art Gallery and Jin Wang Schoarship Foundation. It was openly known that Jung Yeol's sister-in-law Tae Hee has been eyeing these managerial roles.) 

Flashback continues...Eun Byeol was late for the opening ceremony of Jin Wang Art Gallery. The mystery person who shows up and is seen to send her to the gallery, who rides a motorbike, who has a 'Star of David' tattoo on his left hand, and the one who apparently Eun Byeol loves...Who is he??? How did Eun Byeol and he meet and fall in love? Does the tattoo have any meaning to it? 
And later, we see Eun Byeol begging halmoni to cancel her engagement to Min Hoo because she loves this mystery person whom halmoni seems to know.

K3NKcvI.jpg
TqgqFig.jpg
XoJ1bz9.jpg
j99RzZd.jpg
W8cNrit.jpg
EB: Pabul! (Stupid!)

Flashback continues...Eun Byeol begs halmoni to cancel the engagement. She tells halmoni she loves that 'man'. Halmoni cautions Eun Byeol that what she is doing now is dangerous. And halmoni agrees to cancel the engagement but Eun Byeol has to pay a price!
Few questions - what is Eun Byeol doing that is dangerous? what price does halmoni want Eun Byeol to pay for canceling her engagement? The 'price' seems worrisome cos Eun Byeol was seen to be disturbed by what she has to do in accordance to halmoni's orders. Who is that 'man' whom Eun Byeol loves and whom is known to halmoni? Hmmm...

UZrWrwf.jpg
JR: Aiyo...my grand-daughter's hands are awesome...
73qu10W.jpg
EB: I said I'm sorry I was wrong, halmoni
4OsrXwa.jpg
EB: Halmoni, will you agree to whatever I will ask for, no matter what that may be?
ukAf03y.jpg
JR: So long as it's what my baby wants. Whatever it is I will agree.
0ZhHOv9.jpg
EB: Then, please don't have me be engaged, halmoni
E8MFkFb.jpg
JR: Halmoni can see far ahead just sitting down.
S6ggZRd.jpg
JR: Don't you know what you are doing now is very dangerous?
ZHYDk47.jpg
EB: I love that man, halmoni...
uy5Th95.jpg
JR: Jin Wang's future rests on your shoulders.
8vY0ZnY.jpg
EB: But the future I want is not the same (as yours), Halmoni
7BTMjmh.jpg
EB: I want to cancel my engagement.

kytlW1T.jpg
EB: How can I force myself to get engaged?
mkqIbwy.jpg
EB: It's the most important thing in my life.
eerYYTk.jpg
JR: If you don't want to get engaged, then don't.

rUndoSy.jpg
EB: I knew you'd understand me, halmoni
QalbQjh.jpg
JR: But you need to pay a price...
xNQFwn9.jpg
EB: Pay a price?

Flashback continues...Third anniversary of Joo Ran's grandson, Eun Yu's death. The family prepares to head out to the grave site. Tae Sung wants Jung Yeol to visit together, but matriarch Joo Ran is still not agreeable to it, asking Jung Yeol to prepare fish soup instead. The bitterness and hatred fester on in Joo Ran's heart.
sbONFyT.jpg
4PaINdd.jpg
xb27t8M.jpg
dYYbS6u.jpg
WAM0ejO.jpg
TS: From this year on, Eun Byeol's mom will go with us together
vMFElQc.jpg
JR: I'd like to eat fish soup tonight
MP8ganD.jpg
JY: Yes, I got it.
z3dNNEz.jpg
EB: Halmoni...
lFGwnkQ.jpg
JR: Eun Byeol, you sit in front of me.
MRTBjHd.jpg
hAXvX4K.jpg
n1MVrVA.jpg

Flashback continues...As Jung Yeol goes back into the house, she sees her late son, Eun Yu's photos, and thinks of that fateful day when the accident happened. Someone has tampered with the brake on her car, she couldn't stop her car as she sees the traffic light turning from amber then red, and got into a deadly accident with a truck at the red-light junction. 
YEBp1nl.jpg
3QlJgdN.jpg
GBxoWE2.jpg
EY: This flower is beautiful, just like mom.
GWXLuyK.jpg
UwYeQDu.jpg
JZbUCKk.jpg

qVAHfwo.jpg
Web8q7B.jpg
a3RULCY.jpg
mXceA0K.jpg
VFIdjEJ.jpg
JrN2316.jpg
GsVn4s3.jpg
WfKjpHC.jpg
dRtWqJ3.jpg
H8gWbFw.jpg
libXnAC.jpg
7Q2WBwK.jpg
jmQYKsT.jpg
k8vigjv.jpg

Flashback continues...At Eun Yu's grave site, as the family is paying their respect, matriarch Joo Ran has a flashback to the last moments of her precious - future heir to Jin Wang Conglomerate - grandson's life. Matriarch Joo Ran continues to talk about her perculiar views of a mother's existence. Eun Byeol tells halmoni it's been 3 years and to let it go for Eun Yu's sake. But halmoni says she's unable to forgive Jung Yeol forever. As the family prepares to head home, Jung Yeol shows up at the grave site, with a plea in her eyes (to let her see her late son) as she looks at MIL...
hRbvnly.jpg
wypKqj2.jpg
gURpJoB.jpg
jFWa0Te.jpg
BsOyc7E.jpg
JuCpde0.jpg
teHktl8.jpg
xzlkP0X.jpg
yVicPnH.jpg
OazKGAn.jpg
HSSuSeD.jpg
OeKrGIr.jpg
JR: That's the purpose of a mother's existence.
guANrfr.jpg
JR: But what has your mom done for Eun Yu?
C4Xz1lw.jpg
EB: It has been 3 years, halmoni...
b1xtXK0.jpg
EB: For Eun Yu's sake, you should stop (this bitterness and hatred)...
gie9mZj.jpg
JR: Though it's been 3 years...
GRNEz4o.jpg
JR: Even if 30 years 300 years have passed...
VUjcoLD.jpg
JR: Halmoni will still not be able to forgive your mom
0dy9fsN.jpg
hWutg8H.jpg
bKF0Jbp.jpg
x0RDBSV.jpg
7T2EJSj.jpg

-----End of Ep 1-------

FS Ep 2 Preview screencaps...
Joo Ran still blames Jung Yeol for grandson's death...Tae Sung cheats on his wife, with Hong Joo, whom his wife Jung Yeol considers to be close like sisters...Min Hoo proposes to Eun Byeol...Eun Byeol probably breaking off her engagement with Min Hoo...Eun Byeol witnesses her dad cheating on mom, with Hong Joo...Eun Byeol asks mom to leave and go somewhere with her together...Jun Hyuk is introduced. An old flame of Jung Yeol?

svVeWaG.jpgJR: How can you kill my child? How can you?
bZ9VmGK.jpg

ji7eJvm.jpg
TS: Why do you want to obtain Jin Wang Construction at his time?
Vw1xBXB.jpg
sAzi0kb.jpg
TS: Are you belittling me, Go Tae Sung?
i9LMOW4.jpg
EB: Let's both leave this place ok...
GAnqLIN.jpg
JY: Do you think mom is unfortunate?
Baj51yv.jpg
(EB witnesses dad Tae Sung cheating on her mom)
uSGJsyM.jpg
EB: How can you betray my mom?
946WBek.jpg
JR: Just throw that away
vvWGWPU.jpg
TS: What lies (are you talking about)?
gzQptBV.jpg
pV26RjG.jpg
JY: When I called you yesterday, didn't you say you were in the office?
4z9dOxp.jpg
(Min Hoo proposes to Eun Byeol)
qtAtl9Q.jpg
MH: Perhaps, it may be tiring...
Vrui86V.jpg
EB: You will hate me...
gXqiyXp.jpg
gn9YJPA.jpg
av96GdM.jpg
ziCGA9k.jpg

@jadecloud ...... You are the best!! ^:)^ ^:)^

It's rather sad that JY was banned from visiting her own son's gravesite and ridiculous that her husband stood by and did nothing to put a stop to that. He could have somehow forced his mother to allow it especially after the first year. TS neither respects his wife nor cares about her mental state. It's evident when he stays quiet as JY is repeatedly insulted by his mother and sister, barely comforts her and keeps a mistress on the side(her close friend!).
What does the halmoni mean when she says it would be dangerous for EB not to marry MH? Could it be that the she is involved in some illegal activities and was forced to make some sort of deal with MH's father(a very powerful prosecutor) with EB as a bargaining chip? It wouldn't surprise me if TS is aware of such a deal and had no choice but to go along with it. MH always seemed so confident EB would marry him whether she liked it or not, as if she had no choice but to do so. 

@jadecloud,
Thank you for the translations. 
A thought came to me with JR's statement how dare you kill my child. . JR probably is the one who was trying to kill JY but the son died instead. The brakes being tampered with were to kill JY but instead her beloved grandson she thought would become her child died. 

Archived