Genre: Action - Thriller - Drama
Director: Lee Jeong Bum
Producer: King Sung Woo
Release Date: 06/04/2014
Distributor: CJ Entertainment
Language: Korean

CAST

SYNOPSIS

After immigrating to America and being abandoned by his own mother, Gon is raised to become a hit man. One day during a job, Gon accidentally kills a young girl and is plagued by guilt over killing an innocent child. His boss gives the despondent hit man a new job -- to kill the young girl's mother. His new target works as a risk manager at an investment firm. The grief-stricken mother buries herself in her work without knowing that she is in the heart of a dangerous conspiracy. © hancinema

VIDEOS

NEWS & INFORMATION

Jang Dong Gun Looks Chilling Yet Charismatic in "No Tears for the Dead" Stills
"No Tears for the Dead" Starring Jang Dong Gun and Kim Min Hee to Play in North American Theaters
Jang Dong Gun Delivers a Stellar Performance in 'No Tears for the Dead'
[Interview] Jang Dong Gun Was Glad to Act Opposite Kim Min Hee in 'Crying Man'
Top 2 Action Scenes of 'No Tears for the Dead' Revealed
Unlikely Hitman, After String of Disastrous Films, Heartthrob Jang Dong Gun is Back
Jang Rejects Copycat Claims Over New Film
Snapshot of Jang Dong Dun, Kim Min Hee in Film Revealed

Credits: HanCinema

Jang Dong Gun Delivers A Stellar Performance In ‘No Tears for the Dead’

Korean pop vocalist lee michelle provides the track for “smooth operator” which sets a series of tragic events into motion. His strength is then tested even.

Jang Dong Gun Delivers A Stellar Performance In 'No Tears for the Dead' Jang Dong Gun is the ruthless yet morally conflicted Gon in “No Tears for the Dead”.

International K-Drama fans have become familiar with Jang Dong Gun after his iconic performance Kim Do Jin in “A Gentleman”s Dignity”.

However, Jang Dong Gun has had a long running career which began with his television debut in 1992.Since his debut, he has starred in over seventeen films and twelve dramas.

Jang Dong Gun sheds his wholesome image to appear as Gon, a conflicted assassin with mommy issues.

Gon is the product of an abusive mother who abandoned him in the desert, after succumbing to her inner demons.Born in Korea, Gon is brought to the United States by his mother, who repeatedly admonishes him for holding on to his native culture.

The otherness of the American landscape becomes a crucial part of his development into a coldblooded killer.

Gon becomes morally conflicted after accidentally murdering an innocent child in the midst of an assassination job. His strength is then tested even further when he is given the assignment of killing the mother of the dead child.

Jang Dong Gun Delivers A Stellar Performance In 'No Tears for the Dead' Kim Min Hee delivers a heartbreaking performance as Mogyeong.

Kim Min Hee portrays Mogyeong, a hedge fund manager who is on the edge of destruction following the murder of her husband and daughter in the United States.

Mogyeong struggles to hold on to her sanity as she attempts to piece together the horrific events which led to the untimely death of her daughter.Her limits are also tested by her mother who lies in a state of confusion due to the onset of dementia.

Brian Tee rounds out the main cast as Chaoz, a suave career criminal whose deplorable personality elevates Gon to likability.

“No Tears for the Dead” is directed by critically acclaimed director Lee Jeong Beom, whose is best known for the hyper violent thriller “Man From Nowhere”.

“No Tears for the Dead” opens within the eery landscape of an American jazz bar.

Korean pop vocalist Lee Michelle provides the track for “Smooth Operator” which sets a series of tragic events into motion.Gon creates a paper crane for a nearby child while appearing to listen to the music, even though he is mentally preparing for a take down.

The scene in which Gon inadvertently murders the child is visually arresting.Lee Jeong Beom frames the scene in such an alarming way that viewers are immediately conflicted about Gon.

Jang Dong Gun Delivers A Stellar Performance In 'No Tears for the Dead' Jang Dong Gun is anti-hero in the film.

From the start of “No Tears for the Dead” it becomes apparent that Gon is not a heroic figure that can be easily cheered on.

Mogyeong is as much of antihero as Gon.On the surface, she is a mother who allowed her only child to venue thousands of miles away with her criminally reckless husband.

As the film progresses, viewers develop more compassion for Mogyeong, who is a victim of her own circumstances.

“No Tears for the Dead” brilliantly pits corporate wonk Mogyeong against the seemingly amoral Gon.

Lee Jeong Beom repeatedly utilizes the juxtaposition of a barren American desert landscape verses the urbanization of Korea.

“No Tears for the Dead” is consistent with Korean film noir in that there is no clear cut sense of justice. While it may not be a feel good film, “No Tears for the Dead” challenges audiences and presents Jang Dong Gun in one of his best roles to date.

“No Tears for the Dead” is not rated, but parental guidance should be used for younger audiences due to violence and profanity.

“No Tears for the Dead” will open in select U.S. theaters on June 20.

Rating:Not Rated Run Time:116 minutes

Source: www.kdramastars.com

May 31, 2014
[interview] Jang Dong Gun was Glad to Act Opposite Kim Min Hee in ‘Crying Man’
Newsen Jo Yeon Kyung  Translation Credit : Yeawon Jung
Jang Dong Gun expressed his satisfaction in acting opposite Kim Min Hee.
Waiting for his movie Crying Man to premiere, Jang Dong Gun attended an interview held on May 26 at a café in Samcheong-dong. 
Bringing up the fact that he praised Kim Min Hee during the movie’s press conference and showcase, Jang Dong Gun was asked if he was that satisfied with the actress. He coolly answered, “It was to the point where I was relieved when I heard that Kim Min Hee was going to do it.”
66913002.jpg

Jang Dong Gun said, “I was cast first while the scenario was being planned and I saw how important the character of ‘Mo Kyung’ was to me. There is only one scene where we meet in the movie but my character goes through a change as he watches ‘Mo Kyung’ and her reactions. I was very curious to see who would be cast as ‘Mo Kyung.’”
He continued, “Then I heard Kim Min Hee was cast for the role and was relieved, because she has been showing good acting in her recent projects. I had my trust in her acting ability. As I filmed with her, I saw how much she had changed since when she was young. I had many thoughts as an actor as I saw how much she has matured up.”
Jang Dong Gun said, “During my 20 year acting career, I acted along with many actresses and one thing I felt is that there is a moment when an actress changes completely. There is even a time where an actress becomes a totally different person overnight. To be honest, that’s very rare among actors. Actors who are good in the beginning continue to be good and those who were bad can either get better little by little, or just stay the same.”
He added, “Of course, it depends on the situation for actresses too but Kim Min Hee is an actress who showed change all of a sudden. I could feel that from her. Although we encounter each other once in the movie I was able to watch her act during filming. I could tell that she has changed and advanced and was amazed by it.”
Meanwhile, Crying Man will premiere on June 4.
Photo credit: Newsen

May 31, 2014
Top 2 actions scenes of 'No Tears For The Dead' revealed
Source: STARN News 20140530192919_53885d7f6d262_1.jpg
Director Lee Jung Bum is going to present action scenes of another level through 'No Tears For The Dead'.
On May 30th, director Lee Jung Bum revealed the top 2 action scenes of his new film, 'No Tears For The Dead', to keep attention on.
The first scene is a daylight gunfight scene, which gets called as'The Rose Battle' among staffs. Director Lee Jung Bum spent a long time while thinking about how he should make an unseen outdoor action scene, and he came up with an idea of a gunfight in an apartment.
The shooting was held at an apartment in Busan, and it involved fabulous wire actions and explosion scenes. The staffs put a lot of efforts in sound and mixing design as well so that viewers can experience the most realistic gun fight scene.
Another major action scene takes place at Mo Kyung(Kim Min Hee)'s work, 'Ventura Holdings'. The last battle of Gon(Jang Dong Gun), Mo Kyung, and most of the other characters have their final battle there, and it includes a great number of different actions.
The scene will show Gon fighting against professional killers, who were sent from America, and all of the actions that professional killers would do were included in this sequence.
The scene was recorded over 31 days. Jang Dong Gun got a major injury on his shoulder, and Kim Min Hee also shot a lot of physically challenging scenes.
Meanwhile, ‘No Tears For The Dead’ is a movie about a cold-blooded killer named ‘Gon,’ who had to give up everything after making one critical mistake. He carries out the final mission of killing a target named ‘Mo Kyung,’ but falls into a dilemma between his identity as a killer and a sense of guilt.
/Reporting by Lee Mi-Ji en@starnnews.com

June 3, 2014
Unlikely hitmanAfter string of disastrous films, heartthrob Jang Dong-gun is back
By Baek Byung-yeul The Korea Times
14-01(201).jpg
Known for his smooth good looks, Jang Dong-gun is going for a new image in the upcoming action film "No Tears for the Dead" as a professional killer. / Courtesy of CJ E&M
After two years away, Jang Dong-gun is back as a professional hit man in the new action movie, "No Tears for the Dead." 
Since his TV debut with the 1990 MBC drama "Our Paradise," the 42-year-old has been a respected actor for more than two decades. But it has been a long time since he made a compelling mark on the big screen. 
His biggest film success was 10 years ago, with the 2004 "TaeGukGi: Brotherhood of War," which drew a domestic audience of more than 11.7 million to this tragic tale of two brothers during the Korean War (1950-1953). Since then, he has suffered a bad streak with "Typhoon" (2005), "The Warrior's Way" (2010), "My Way" (2011) and "Dangerous Liaisons" (2012), all of which were box office disasters. 
Jang expressed eagerness to make his next movie a hit during a press conference last Friday. "Some of the films I turned down became huge successes. There must be an uncontrollable force to make a hit film," Jang said. 
To prove that he is still capable of being a bankable A-list star, he teamed up with director Lee Jeong-beom, best known for his previous action flick, "The Man from Nowhere." 
The 2010 action film, which was the his second directional film, followed by 2006 debut film, "Cruel Winter Blues," become a sensational hit — it garnered more than 6.1 millions, the highest box-office record in that year, and helped lift Won Bin, who took the leading role of former special agent, to the very top of Korean cinema. 
In Lee's upcoming film, Jang is a Korean-born American killer Gon, a tragic figure who repents for killing a young girl by mistake and is later assigned to remove her mother in Korea as well. 
Jang trained at an film action school in Seoul for four months to step into the role of a killer. 
Playing a bilingual role was new territory for him. "I had to act most parts of my scenes in English, (as I am a non-native English speaker) and I just tried to concentrate on delivering my lines as best as I could," he added. 
While Jang depicts the conflicted hit man Gon well, his co-star Kim Min-hee is also brilliant as the female lead Mo-kyung. 
"It definitely can be categorized as an action film. But I wanted to visualize a killer who experiences inner conflict," the director told reporters at a premiere with the press on Friday. 
To put some distance from his successful previous work, "The Man from Nowhere," the director said he paid special attention in strengthening narrative structure. 
"I cannot deny that I can be here without huge success of ‘The Man. ' But, I am certain that ‘No Tears' has its distinction from existing Korean action-noirs including my own," Lee added. 
The director interviewed special force troops in Korea and the U.S. to learn their reality and incorporate it into his work. 
"No Tears for the Dead" will be on screens nationwide from Wednesday. Rated 18 and over. Runs 116 minutes. In Korean. 

June 12, 2014
Jang rejects copycat claims over new film
BY LEE EUN-SUN [estyle@joongang.co.kr] INSIDE Korea JoongAng Daily
11203351.jpg

Jang Dong-gun’s latest noir film “No Tears for the Dead” debuted at No. 5 in the local box office last weekend, but many filmgoers have commented on its striking resemblance to the 2010 thriller “A Man from Nowhere.” 
But Jang, a 42-year-old veteran actor, asserts that his film has a “totally different style,” though both movies were directed by Lee Jeong-beom. 
In the 116-minute story, Jang plays a killer named Gon who is traumatized because his mother left him when he was a child. When he accidentally kills a young girl, his boss forces him to murder her mother, Mo-gyung (Kim Min-hee), as well. 
To mark the release of Jang’s first new film in three years, the JoongAng Ilbo sat down with the actor to talk about his 20 years of experience in the film industry.
Q. Many people are comparing your latest work to actor Won Bin’s 2010 thriller “A Man from Nowhere.” What do you think about that?
A. Well, the two stories definitely share similar sentiments, but you can still note the difference between them. While Won Bin’s 2010 story focuses on the dynamic action throughout the film, my latest movie deals with how an individual redeems himself after going through so many tragic events in his life. My character in “No Tears” is more desperate than Won’s role. 
Some people say it seems like you are following the path of Won Bin, who debuted far later than you. Do you agree?
I don’t think it’s necessary to think about those things as long as the story is appealing. 
“No Tears” revolves around action, so viewers can’t check out how good an actor you are.
I don’t choose to join a film in order to prove my acting skills. I just trusted the director, who has established his own identity in the noir film genre over the decade. 
What are Gon’s true feelings toward Mo-gyung?
One of the most important themes that penetrates the story is motherhood. That’s why the director used the name Mo-kyung [“Mo” means mother in Chinese character]. Gon, who was abandoned by his own mother when he was a young kid, never believed in maternal love, but as he falls for Mo-gyung something inside of him changes. I think the feeling is greater than just a typical romance between a man and a woman. 
Your filmography is filled with a lot of action films. Why is that?
I don’t necessarily concentrate on doing action films, but I just think I like macho films, like Al Pacino’s “The Godfather” series [1972 to 1990]. Robert De Niro’s “Once Upon a Time in America” was my favorite story while I was growing up. 
Is there a type of movie you want to take part in?
I’ve been reading a cartoon adaptation of the Annals of the Joseon Dynasty, the royal records of the Joseon era [1392-1910], so I’ve been thinking of combining historical facts and noir.
What kind of actor do you want to be remembered as?
James Dean once said, “To grasp the full significance of life is the actor’s duty; to interpret it his problem; and to express it his dedication.” Just like Dean, I want to be someone who can have some positive influence. 

June 12, 2014
Snap shot of Jang Dong-gun, Kim Min-hee in film revealed
Source: The Korea Herald 
Snapshots of the shooting of Korean film “No Tears for the Dead” were revealed Thursday. 20140612000979_0.jpg
(CJ E&M)
Jang Dong-gun, wearing a parka and earmuffs, takes a rest while working on the film. 
Kim Min-hee shows off various looks in the film. 
20140612001021_0.jpg
(CJ E&M)
Wearing a modern style coat, Kim looks chic and elegant. 
20140612001023_0.jpg
(CJ E&M)
Her red dress also highlighted her sexy style. 20140612001022_0.jpg
(CJ E&M)
On the other hand, the comfortable look with a knit cardigan went well with her film character who lost her family and remained in despair. 
One snapshot also showed film staff celebrating Kim’s birthday. 
The movie, released last week, tells the story of the love between a cold-blooded hitman and his next target.
(khnews@heraldcorp.com)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest adikkeluangman

FLY TO THE SKY (플라이 투 더 스카이) - 십년이지나도 (Years Apart) MVhttp://youtu.be/3zSko7Dwx_I Their voice and the movie scene blend so well. It so awesome. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest adikkeluangman

[behind The Scene] Child actors Ko Woo Rim as young Gun and Kang Ji Woo (I think she is the daughter of Kang Min Hee in this movie) on the set. They also took picture with director Lee Jeong-Beom and I think some of the pictures at the movie wrap up party.10444630_320941548060314_890255079387084

Archived