[Drama 2014] God's Gift - 14 Days/신의 선물 - 14일

SongMira

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest buticut

Ha, @autumn93, you beat me to it. Just wanted to share the great news :P. It's wonderful that the DVD release is a certainty, but blu ray would be the icing on the cake. I want to see my knight in glorious 1080p on the TV screen :D.

It's been almost 2 weeks after GG has ending its airings, and after the disappointment with the ending from watching it live, it is still a great drama to watch.
Especially the last episode where most commented on the open ended ending, which its not sure whether Dong Chan has died. Basically it was my first impression too after I finished watching it live. But after all disappointment and angry about the ending and all the unanswered questions, I started to watch the episode with subtitles, which gave me a lot more understanding to why the writer choose to end it the way it is.
1) The writer has succeeded in getting viewers to speculate, deduce, play investigator from Episode 3 onward until the last episode. Even after its airings, we are still thinking of whether DC is alive or dead. That I think the writer has done a good job, in fact, there's no one k-drama at the moment who succeeded in keeping audience in suspense until the last episode. Almost of their endings are so predictable, and mostly change to please the viewers due to the ship.For this I give my respect to the writer who did not change her script to please the viewers, unlike LBY's previous drama, which changed the story half way to please the viewers. She stick to what she started with, that is the opening ending on DC. It may not be what the viewers wanted, since most would want a sure answer, and answers to some of the questions, but at least she stood firm.
2) Why I thought the open ended ending is beneficial to all: Well, for those who believe that DC is alive, there's ways to think that he is not dead, eg, the 3rd person standing next to YG when DH got out of jail. As for those who choose to believe DC is dead, then the sound of water and the prophecy would have well explained that. I felt that the ferry tragedy too, affected the ending, since its related to water, and its pretty insensitive if they choose to be explicit with the ending during this grieving period. For those who believe, like some who mentioned earlier that we can't win destiny, then, they would believe that DC has an ill-fated destiny. For those who believed that we are able to overcome destiny, then, somehow are rather, we will find ways to prove that DC is still alive. I am wondering if the extended version of the episode that showed DC with WJ catching the bad guy, is that a proof that WJ has recovered, and DC is alived, and both are back in the police force doing their job.
3) As to some of the unanswered questions, I guessed the writer has already dropped some hints or give a one sentence answer to some of them.a) Did SH still end up with HJH - I think the answer is quite clear that they will eventually divorce, since HJH has told SH that he will give her a divorce, and asked SH to stay in the house as he doesn't like SB to live outside their home. Unless, later, SH would take SB into consideration before divorcing HJH.B) HJH and MA's affair: I reckon the writer thought she didn't need to answer that since SH would divorce HJH, and knowing the reasons would be insignificant.c)Did HJH has the jewels with him prior to the time travel: I don't think so because SH told DC that as much as HJH maybe a jerk, but he would never risk his daughter's life for the jewels. Furthermore, Cha Bong Suk was killed in an accident when he tried to cross the road to run after the Airport bus, he was not murdered as deduced by DC. Furthermore, Cha left the very next morning after killing the 3rd victim, so he was in a rush to leave the country and I don't think he had the time to hand them to HJH. Afterall, the jewels were only found by SH and DC in their search of Cha's apartment. d)Why was DC targeted by Lee Myung Han, and why too it has to be SB? As I have mentioned before, HJH's family was targeted probably when Theo's brother approached HJH to disclose the truth of the murder. Since HJH has to closed the case initially due to lack of evidence as ordered by LMH, and subsequently has to turn a blind eyes after Theo's brother was murdered due to lack of evidence too, he could have been targeted and watched by LMH since then. To LMH, HJH would be his first time bomb. As for why DC was targeted, it was more due to Chairman Choo. If he had not appeared in front of DC, he would not have arouse LMH's attention on DC. LMH obviously has been watching Chairman Choo and the other 2 families, would immediately see the red light. He feared Chairman Choo would disclose the truth of DC - otherwise, how else would Chairman Choo wanted to do to be close to DC. That gave him the plan to get rid of both of his time bombd - DC and HJH using SB. As he told the president's wife, he would wedge wars between DC and HJH by making DC kills SB. So like in timeline 1, HJH took matters into his own hands by getting the gangster boss' men to throw DC into the water. But his plan went awry in timeline2. SB was saved and DC committed suicide?????? e)The only one question that needed some explanation but was not answered would be how did SB avoid being kidnap during timeline1, and what actually happened. While some maybe parallel to timeline2, but how different would it be. Maybe due to time constraints, they are not able to give details on this questions.
But on the whole, although the last episode could be better, however, I don't think it was bad at all. I guess its more of our expectations of what we want of the ending, like I was when I finished watching it live. But after much thought on tying those loose ends, I felt much better. Afterall, I feel that as compared to a lot of k-dramas, this drama is full of suspense and has make quite a few of us losing sleep thinking of the plots. It is indeed a lot more refreshing than the other dramas. I would say, a first in k-drama.
Thank you writer, director, JSW and LBY for their excellent acting, and to the entire cast and crew for giving us a great drama.... something very different from the rest, something so unpredictable.

buticut said:  Ha, @autumn93, you beat me to it. Just wanted to share the great news :P. It's wonderful that the DVD release is a certainty, but blu ray would be the icing on the cake. I want to see my knight in glorious 1080p on the TV screen :D.

But I think the price for the Director's cut would be very expensive as well. It would be about USD160 per set for a 16episode drama, and ususally they don't come with subtitles as well. Opps sorry for the wet blanket.

Guest reeneesie

Its first time to post here but i certainly follow u guys from the earlier time..btw,i'm still not watch the last 2 ep as i'm scared that my little heart cannot stand the impact(actuallyihaveexam)haha

But when i watched the timeline 1,isn't grandpa suppose to be dead because of heart attack??or it just a scenario to cover up from the evil minister??

Sorry,if someone had answered the question already...it still a great drama to watch even with open ending

seoyounglby said: buticut said:  Ha, @autumn93, you beat me to it. Just wanted to share the great news :P. It's wonderful that the DVD release is a certainty, but blu ray would be the icing on the cake. I want to see my knight in glorious 1080p on the TV screen :D.

But I think the price for the Director's cut would be very expensive as well. It would be about USD160 per set for a 16episode drama, and ususally they don't come with subtitles as well. Opps sorry for the wet blanket.

reeneesie said: Its first time to post here but i certainly follow u guys from the earlier time..btw,i'm still not watch the last 2 ep as i'm scared that my little heart cannot stand the impact(actuallyihaveexam)haha But when i watched the timeline 1,isn't grandpa suppose to be dead because of heart attack??or it just a scenario to cover up from the evil minister?? Sorry,if someone had answered the question already...it still a great drama to watch even with open ending

autumn93 said: seoyounglby said: buticut said:  Ha, @autumn93, you beat me to it. Just wanted to share the great news :P. It's wonderful that the DVD release is a certainty, but blu ray would be the icing on the cake. I want to see my knight in glorious 1080p on the TV screen :D.

Just finished watching God's Gift - 14 Days Later and the SP episode really makes me feel more appreciative towards all the hard work the crews and actors had being through to bring to us such a wonderful drama. The director's cut alternate ending was shown in the episode and it really made more sense. It wasn't as rushed as the previous ending and while it was still implied that Dong Chan died, his death was more justified. However his brother's release was missing from this version? I was also surprise that the underwater scenes weren't actual shot underwater! Because it simply looked so real. They must have gone through a lot of experiments and trail and error to achieve such visual precision. I'm now really impressed by the dedication of all those who involved. I already know that the actors worked hard, but was completely unaware that there more than just actors and camera crews behind this drama; there's also the CG artist and the stunt double. This drama definitely deserve a director's cut in bluray; I think it will make a huuuuge difference to see this epic drama in 1080p. 
I'm dying for it's full OST too! Any chance it will release soon? ;(

Guest Tribute12

OMO..I miss you guys..This detectives family .. I try to forget this thread, move on and develop new interest to new upcoming drama thread but still no mood to fully involved yet. here is like home....How could some of you watch several dramas at the same time? Should give me a tip. ... yeah, loyal is loyal.. Hopeful and optimistic fan too @autumn93 ...But if the estimation of Director's cut is precisely as what @seoyounglby has estimated, then sayonara Director's cut.. I need to cut my own neck to buy your cut..  
I live my life exactly as Ki Dong Chan now.. No great house yet, no stable job to be proud, can sleep anywhere I want but somehow having magic luxurious car. :P .. anyeong Bluray ssi because i'm ki Dong Chan..not han ji hoon or Woo Jin X_X ..
But this great drama really deserved the Director's cut version. .. but if they released the full OST, that one is in Ki Dong Chan's budget..the benefit, it could be used in the magic car.. :)) .. currently crazy with the OST that being sung by Kim Jo Hoon (remember) - Spring blossom after it was played on ep 16 at the ending when SH and family visit the lake for inspiration/mourning/fishing/selfie/whatever there before the credit.

So I've been meaning to write about the special episode but it took me a lot longer than expected. I think it's because by writing about the special means that now I really have to let go of this drama and the characters that I've become so attached to! :(( Unless SBS surprises us with more bts or clips from filming I guess this will be my last entry regarding GG14D! :((  (but definitely not about the actors involved :D )
So here it is: http://dramapenchant.wordpress.com/2014/05/03/highlights-from-gods-gift-14-days-special-episode/
@Tribute12 Haha I hear you! I was going to watch A New Leaf this week, since its one of the few dramas that premiered but I've just lacked the motivation to start it. Still can't get over GG14D and move beyond this thread!...Hopefully the new batch of dramas next week will help! And director's cuts are truly expensive that I'm not sure if I'll be able to buy it as well, I did put my name down just so that they would reach the required number so that the DVDs would get green lighted for fans who did want to buy it :D 

Read what this seoulbeats writer had to say about the ending. Basically what we all thought! Glad she didn't dismiss the rest of the show :D and gave credit where it was due! :140315_seoulbeats_godsgift

God’s Gift – 14 Days, Episodes 13-16: The Disappointing Twist

WRITTEN BY JOYCE ON MAY 2, 2014http://seoulbeats.com/2014/05/gods-gift-14-days-episodes-13-16-disappointing-twist/

Guest Tribute12

@autumn93 If your last review regarding GG special episode defined as you ready to let go of this drama   :((   ,
then here is my last comic works based on GG too.. I planned to stop making this sh**t last time but without a proper ending, it becomes so pitiful.. This is a tribute to GG that so special in my heart....
Urghh ..Will never make this kind of crazy sh**t on other drama..
Sound like a stupid alumni of a school now..    :)>-  
This is quite long than usual.. and I promised I've reduced the joke to 0...  Wah. so tired by making this..Glad it has ended..

MDSB part 8 (last) - Fate has strangled us together !!

HiRJsBo.jpg

I think the heroin in my comic finally is SB.. yeaah bcoz the title is SB..I tried to make SH and DC to be happened, but just don't know how! Woo Jin never exist from part 1-8.. Oppa mian hae!

Omo!!!!!! I was checking JSW news just now & there's an interview with GG14D writer Choi Ran. I mostly skipped the whole interview except the last part when she said:
"In the beginning of the synopsis, I meant to let Ki Dong Chan died. But after the story was progressing, JSW & I had a talk the possibility about making a Season 2 of GG14D. Therefore I wrote the open ending in a way that there would be a room left for the story could be developed, just in case. Will there be a production for Season 2? It would be great if it does happen."
Can you believe it guys?? I feel 50-50 about this. I'm happy of course if this Season 2 she talked about will answer all the loopholes in the story. But just imagine it will turn out worse than the first one?  #-o But I bet SBS won't be interested that much since the drama didn't give them highest rating. What do you think?
Source: http://www.hani.co.kr/arti/culture/entertainment/635800.html

@hiedi Any chance to watch JSW on screen will be embraced with open arms! Especially when he's playing smart (ignore the last episode) and sexy detective KDC?!? Hell yeah! And I'd love to watch SH and DC finally get together and then solve crimes together without the threat of SB or DH's life on the line!! :x Happy family time!!! :D But I highly doubt a 2nd season will be happening...I feel like writers and producers say whatever they want (especially when the ending was dissed that badly) 
Also, what was the article talking about here? I google translated it and it seemed like there were a lot of scenes cut and some funny things that happened as a result of the live shoot? 

그런데 드라마는 생방처럼 흘러갔다. 소품 등 장면마다 공을 들여야 해 촬영이 보통 드라마의 갑절이었다. 촉박한 일정에 대본대로 촬영하지 못한 부분이 많았고, 편집과정에서 중요한 장면들이 많이 잘려 나갔다. 복선이 되는 장면이 빠져버리면 다음회 대본을 흔들어야 했다. 김수현(이보영)이 지하주차장에서 화장실을 가겠다며 혼자 뛰어가는 샛별을 그대로 두는 장면도 대본에서는 집 현관 앞이었다. “다른 곳으로 이동할 시간이 없었대요.(웃음)” 시청자들이 ‘이해가 안 된다’며 비판한 장면 대부분이 이 때문이다. 드라마 마지막 장면도 대본에는 수현이 기동찬(조승우)을 발견하지 못하는 걸로 돼있다. “빠진 장면들이 너무 아까워 대본집을 따로 내고 싶어요. 장르드라마는 정말로 사전제작을 해야 해요.”

And a little random, but it was funny to see how long @Tribute12 's comment was going to be all by its lonesome self on this page 258 lol :)

Archived