credit : https://www.kobis.or.kr/kobis/business/main/main.do

Films Release date Week-end Total
1 "Five Nights at Freddy's"   232 839 340 626
2 "The Marvels"   91 207 630 820
3 "The Boy and the Heron" (君たちはどう生きるか)   88 398 1 880 514
4 "The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes"   81 708 120 489
5 "Love Reset" (30일) 2023/10/03 33 638 2 141 276
6 "The Boys" (소년들) 2023/11/01 33 226 452 303
7 "Even if This Love Disappears from the World Tonight" (今夜、世界からこの恋が消えても)   26 397 1 137 377
8 "My Fairy Troublemaker" (Meine Chaosfee & ich)   19 698 20 713
9 "The Dark Knight"   18 452 4 266 806
10 "The Wild" (더 와일드) 2023/11/15 15 831 27 303

*** I'm excited for "Squid Game 2". But, so far, I know a little about this upcoming drama because not much is known about the plot for Squid Game season 2, so I'm just basing what I have read on where season 1 left off. As of writing, there hasn't been an announcement on the release date set for "Squid Game season 2." The first table read took place in June, and Netflix confirmed that production has been ongoing since July, which they expect to last at least ten months. so it's likely that we'll have to wait until the end of 2024 (at the earliest!) to watch more of the *thrilling* show.    :coolshades:

Korean Box Office for the Weekend 2023.11.24 ~ 2023.11.26

credit : https://www.kobis.or.kr/kobis/business/main/main.do

Films Release date Week-end Total
1 "12.12: The Day" (서울의 봄) 2023/11/22 1 494 076 1 892 610
2 "Five Nights at Freddy's"   158 569 560 870
3 "Arctic Dogs"   35 479 44 674
4 "The Boy and the Heron" (君たちはどう生きるか)   34 151 1 950 003
5 "The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes"   17 808 168 875
6 "The Marvels"   17 760 678 698
7 "My Fairy Troublemaker" (Meine Chaosfee & ich)   15 378 41 309
8 "Even if This Love Disappears from the World Tonight" (今夜、世界からこの恋が消えても)   14 412 1 160 771
9 "Usury Academy" (사채소년) 2023/11/22 7 172 15 545
10 "Love Reset" (30일) 2023/10/03 6 744 2 161 133

• 2 weeks later...

*** "Squid Game" director has said that the Netflix's global smash hit series will return for a second season with new  games aside from new characters. He said this while meeting with reporters at a filming location in central Chungcheong Province on Thursday. Journalists were given opportunities to look around Season 2's two filming sets. "We have been shooting Season 2 since July" he said. The filming for Season 2 will continue until next year, and the release date has yet to be announced.    :cutekitty:

AEN20231207008300315_01_i_P4.jpg

A filming set of "Squid Game" Season 2 is seen in this photo provided by Netflix on Dec. 7, 2023. (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

credit : Yonhap News

*** On a recent variety show aired on December 12th, Yang Donggeun appeared as a guest and mentioned the extremely thorough security of 'Squid Game 2'. Yang Donggeun explained, "Security is thorough on the set of 'Squid Game 2'. We sign a confidentiality agreement every day during each shoot. Security tapes are even attached to our phone cameras. We shoot in a very strict atmosphere. We are currently filming. It's not certain, but it seems like it will be released around next year."  :Fist1:

*** The Korean Film Producers Association (KFPA) successfully hosted its 10th annual awards ceremony. Held on December 15th, the event was emceed by actress Lee Hye Eun, presenting a total of 17 awards across various categories including Best Film, Best Direction, Best Actor, Best Actress and more. Kang Ha Neul, who won the Best Actor for "Love Reset", shared his thoughts with a touch of humor, “I won’t work just for awards in the future, but I promise to be a comfortable and cooperative actor who the people here can approach with scripts. More than being a good actor, I aim to be a good person first.,” He received a warm response from the audience.   :kisslevel:

Below is the full list of winners:

Best Director: Kim Jee Woon (Cobweb)
Best Screenplay: Hyun Gyu Ri, Ahn Tae Jin (The Night Owl)
Best Leading Actress: Jung Yu Mi (Sleep)
Best Leading Actor: Kang Ha Neul (Love Reset)
Best Supporting Actor: Kim Jong Soo (Smugglers)
Best Supporting Actress: Go Min Si (Smugglers)
Best New Director: Jason Yu (Sleep)
Best New Actor: Kim Si Eun (Next Sohee)
Special Contribution Award: Chung Ji Young (The Boys)
Best Cinematography: Kim Ji Yong (Cobweb)
Best Art Direction: Jung Yi Jin (Cobweb)
Best Music: Mowg (Cobweb)
Best Lighting: Hwang Soon Wook (The Moon)
Best Editing: Kim Sun Min (The Night Owl)
Best Sound: Park Yong Ki (The Night Owl)
Best Technical Achievement: Eun Jae Hyun (Concrete Utopia)

13_still01-1536x864.jpg

13_still04-1536x960.jpg

Source: Korean Film Producers Association

• 2 weeks later...

***  Exciting small screen content is set to hit screens this year including the return of "Squid Game. This show is highly anticipated series. I believe that it's set to arrive this year. I heard that it's to come out in the latter half of the year.     :heart3:

*** “Love Reset” is now available to watch internationally! Soompi interviewed Kang Ha Neul and Jung So Min about their film, fun facts about the actors themselves, and more.

Read the full interview below:

What was the most difficult part of portraying your “Love Reset” character?

Kang Ha Neul: There were no aspects that were particularly difficult compared to other projects. I put in most effort into setting the tone while providing sympathy or justification so that the audience can follow [the story] while understanding the character even if it’s a comedy film.

Jung So Min: It’s not that this character was particularly difficult, but meeting a character that is different from myself always feels like an exciting yet difficult process to understand.

What do you think is the greatest charm of each other’s character?

Jung So Min: His simple mindset.

Kang Ha Neul: I think it would be her contrasting charms. I think her greatest charm is that although she doesn’t appear to be like that all, she doesn’t clean or can be quite weird, short-tempered, and strange.

love-reset-2.jpeg

What do you think is the MBTI of your “Love Reset” character?

Kang Ha Neul: I think Jung Yeol is I…SFJ? I don’t know MBTI very well, but I feel like this would be it.

Jung So Min: ESTP.

What do you pay greatest attention to when it comes to comedic acting?

Kang Ha Neul: I think I focused most on relatability for comedic acting because ultimately the audience should be able to laugh while watching. The audience has to relate in order for them to laugh comfortably. Facial expressions and gestures are part of the acting to achieve this relatability, but it is not the only aspect I focused on.

Jung So Min: I think I try to better understand the traits of the character and situations written in the script.

What was a memorable part of the film’s promotional period?

Kang Ha Neul: I think I became closer to So Min while promoting the film and doing stage greetings than when we were filming. As we went to stage greetings together at quite a lot of theaters, we became closer while talking about this and that!

Jung So Min: I always felt some pressure about appearing on variety shows because I’m not used to it, but I was amazed that I was comfortable and enjoyed promotions for “Love Reset” because I was with my co-stars.

love-reset-2-1.jpeg

The two of you previously worked together in the film “Twenty.” Is there anything new you learned about each other while working together again through “Love Reset”?

Kang Ha Neul: I liked that I could feel So Min’s composure and depth to the point that I wanted to learn from her.

Jung So Min: I didn’t realize this when we were filming “Twenty,” but Ha Neul that I saw on set is a person who can sleep anywhere as long as he can rest his head somewhere. I think this is probably a skill that many people would envy.

What was the most delicious or memorable food you ate on set of “Love Reset”?

Kang Han Neul: Out of all the food I ate on set, I enjoyed Mother’s Hand Pie cookies the most. I enjoyed eating them!

Jung So Min: Jin Man, who starred as Director Nam in the film, came to set on a cold winter day when he didn’t have filming and personally made fishcakes for us, and I remember feeling so grateful and warm. Of course, it was also tasty.

love-reset-1-1.jpeg

In “Love Reset,” there are many aspects that your characters cannot stand about each other after marriage. If you actually get married in the future, what is an aspect that you think that you won’t be able to stand personally? 

Kang Ha Neul: Hmm…. I think even if they don’t enjoy just being at home, they can’t hate it as I tend to be the type to recharge by staying at home while doing nothing.

Jung So Min: Rather than a specific action, I think their mindset is most important. I think it will be great if we don’t lose our gratitude and respect for one another.

What do you think is the most important aspect when it comes to marriage and relationships?

Kang Ha Neul: As mentioned in my previous answer, I think it’s about life values. I think it’s one’s attitude toward life and their way of living.

Jung So Min: It’s knowing how to accept each other’s differences well.

What are three of your previous projects that you want to recommend to those who become fans after watching “Love Reset”?

Kang Ha Neul: Three of my projects? It’s too difficult…it would be great if the Soompi editors could choose for me! On another note, if I recommend other great films, I want to recommend “Notting Hill,” “Love Actually,” and “About Time.”

(Editors’ Note: Kang Ha Neul is amazing in every project, but if we were to pick just three, we recommend “Twenty,” “Midnight Runners,” and “Curtain Call“!)

Jung So Min: All my past projects are valuable to me, so it is really difficult to pick just three. I think everyone has different tastes, so it would be best if you watch according to your preference in genre.

(Editors’ Note: Watch “Playful Kiss” for a classic rom-com, “The Smile Has Left Your Eyes” for a tearjerking romance, and “Monthly Magazine Home” for another hilarious comedy like “Love Reset”!)

Spoiler

kang-ha-neul.-.jpg

What do you usually drink when you go to a cafe? 

Kang Ha Neul: Iced Americano no matter what.

Jung So Min: Vanilla Cream Cold Brew.

What have you enjoyed watching on YouTube recently? 

Kang Ha Neul: I enjoy watching science YouTube channels. I watch science videos and gaming videos.

Jung So Min: I always watch a lot of videos with cute animals.

0918_30%EC%9D%BC_%EC%A0%95%EC%86%8C%EB%A

Please share any TMI about yourself for fans!

Kang Ha Neul: I’m currently writing the answers to these questions while squatting down on a filming set.

Jung So Min: I always talk to myself before I go to sleep and when I wake up.

Please share a word for international fans tuning into “Love Reset”!

Kang Ha Neul: Thank you for showing love and interest for “Love Reset.” I will definitely greet everyone again with a new project that won’t waste your time.

Jung So Min: I sincerely want to thank everyone for watching “Love Reset” even from far away. I hope you can set aside life’s worries and laugh to your heart’s content even for a brief moment while watching our film.

love-reset-3.jpeg

Watch “Love Reset” below:

Watch Now

credit : soompi news

• 3 weeks later...

10 K-Dramas to Watch for Motivation in 2024

As we're just a few weeks into 2024, K-dramas are more than just a source of entertainment; they are a source of motivation for those who want to grow personally and make positive changes in their lives. More than just captivating storylines and stories of love, the world of Korean dramas can serve as an insight into people's lives, highlighting our common route of self-improvement and the determination it takes to welcome change. 

We explore a selection of K-dramas in this list, highlighting stories that encourage viewers to overcome obstacles, face their deepest worries, and embark on a path of self-discovery. These stories, revolving around how we conquer personal obstacles, pursue aspirations, or find comfort in unlikely places, serve as a reminder that our own lives are full of opportunities for development and change. Prepare yourself for a voyage through the world of K-dramas, and take a page from their stories.

When the Camellia Blooms (2019)

"When the Camellia Blooms" revolves around the life of Dong Baek (Gong Hyo Jin), a single mother who runs a small bar in a rural town. Dong Baek, known for her resilience and kindness, becomes the target of judgment and gossip in the conservative community. The arrival of Hwang Yong-sik (Kang Ha Neul), a quirky and optimistic police officer, brings a new dynamic to Dong Baek's life. As their relationship develops, the drama explores themes of love, judgment, and the complexities of human connections. Dong Baek's past, marked by struggles and societal expectations, becomes a focal point as the narrative weaves through different timelines, revealing the layers of her character and the impact of her choices on those around her.

Dong Baek's journey, shaped by societal pressures and personal challenges, resonates with viewers facing their own struggles. The drama's exploration of the story reinforces the idea that personal growth often requires navigating societal expectations. Through the lens of Dong Baek's character, the drama encourages viewers to embrace their authentic selves, despite imperfections.

Within the ever-growing realm of K-dramas, these stories not only provide entertainment but also act as huge catalysts for inspiration, encouraging viewers to consider their own paths toward personal growth. Which of these dramas or other dramas, and even characters, has empowered or inspired you to take step into your own life and apply them beyond the screen?

source : https://www.allkpop.com/article/2024/01/10-k-dramas-to-watch-for-motivation-in-2024

*** According to foreign media outlets such as Deadline on Jan 24th (Korean time), Netflix announced through its investor letter after its financials that "Squid Game Season 2" will be released at the end of this year. Netflix stated, “Looking ahead, despite last year’s strikes pushing back the launch of some titles, we have a big, bold slate for 2024. ‘Squid Game Season 2’ will debut alongside the second seasons of The Diplomat and Empress as well as the third season of Bridgerton.”     :piggie:

source : https://news.nate.com/view/20240124n04148?mid=n1008

*** I've watched his latest movie "Love Reset/30 Days".  Kang Ha-neul and Jung So-min's chemistry is strong. The film is more focused on the comedic aspects, which it captures excellently. It takes ‘Love Reset’ a full half-hour before it’s premise sinks in. Kang Ha Neul and Jung So Min play it up so well that you can’t stop laughing at how they can’t stand each other. Going together through laughing and yelling, through romance and fighting make for the best partnership and this movie shows it.   :Megalol:

Love-Reset.jpg

Netflix to release 'Squid Game' season two in 2024

A scene from the second season of Netflix original series ″Squid Game,″ starring actor Lee Jung-jae reprising his role as Gi-hun [NETFLIX]

A scene from the second season of Netflix original series ″Squid Game,″ starring actor Lee Jung-jae reprising his role as Gi-hun [NETFLIX]

The highly anticipated follow-up to the megahit Netflix original series “Squid Game” (2021) will be released later this year, Netflix announced Friday.

Netflix also released never-before-seen scenes from the second season of “Squid Game” but did not specify the date of the premiere.

credit : JoongAngDaily

https://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/news/2024-02-02/entertainment/television/Netflix-to-release-Squid-Game-season-two-in-2024/1972918

8 Underrated K-Dramas That Didn’t Get The Attention They Deserved

Viewers happily shared their favorite “hidden gems.”

With so many K-Dramas being released yearly, it’s easy for some to fall under the radar. Here are eight underrated ones that viewers wanted to receive more recognition.

8. Curtain Call (2022)

When a grandmother is separated from her son and grandson when fleeing North Korea, her dying wish is to see them one last time. But after learning her grandson is now a criminal, a trusted family employee hires an actor (Kang Ha Neul) to impersonate him instead.

24zeU3T5RRWvx8r---sfBznR9gVDx2MjJWxzU3mdKGfpV8YQzRHiBXoVIXjtqX-cp0CkXneY3_d4ycyQEbwRYPy0ygwkSuYvUOS4s6P7RbuFRA=w960-nu-rj-l80-e365

First Look at Lee Jung Jae, Lee Byung Hyun, Gong Yoo and More in ‘Squid Game 2’

Netflix has confirmed the 2024 release of Squid Game Season 2 and unveiled the first look through “NEXT ON NETFLIX 2024: The Series & Films Preview” on YouTube.

Squid Game tells the story of people who participate in a mysterious survival game with a 45.6 billion won prize money, risking their lives to become the ultimate winner. Season 2 picks up where the first season left off, with Gi Hun (played by Lee Jung Jae) returning to the game after receiving a mysterious phone call at the airport.

The four stills released pique curiosity about what exciting story Squid Game will unfold in Season 2. While the intense images of the actors who have received much love since Season 1, such as Gi Hun (Lee Jung Jae), Front Man (Lee Byung Hun), and Salesman (Gong Yoo), capture attention, interest is also focused on the character of Park Kyu Young, who will make her first appearance in the new season.

Season 2 of Squid Game is once again directed, written, and produced by Hwang Dong Hyuk, who became the first Asian to win the Emmy Award at the 74th Primetime Emmy Awards. In addition to Lee Jung Jae, Lee Byung Hun, Wi Ha Jun and Gong Yoo, who returned from Season 1

Source: Netflix

*** The long wait is over as Netflix drops a sneak peek of the highly-anticipated sequel, "Squid Game" Season 2! With the huge craze it created in 2021, the K-drama is set to return this year. The director previously told The Hollywood Reporter about the changes for the upcoming season. The upcoming season featured a mix of new and returning characters.   :heart3:

squid-games.png?w=820

Netflix reveals 2024 content lineup

With K-dramas like Squid Game Season 2 and Sweet Home Season 3 on the horizon, Netflix has finally unveiled the much-anticipated release window for the upcoming 2024 K-dramas. The streaming giant has dropped an exciting trailer showcasing its upcoming lineup, including the highly awaited third season of Sweet Home, Squid Game season 2, A Killer Paradox, and more. Each year, Netflix releases a trailer that ignites excitement among K-drama fans, giving them a glimpse of what's to come.

This year's lineup promises a captivating array of shows with compelling plots that are sure to captivate viewers. Featured in the preview of Netflix's 2024 K-drama lineup trailer are renowned actors like Lee Jung Jae, Lee Byung Hun, Song Kang, Choi Woo Shik, Koo Kyo Hwan, and many more, adding to the anticipation surrounding these upcoming dramas.

Squid Game 2

Squid Game, the highly anticipated K-drama, has dominated Netflix charts as one of the most-watched non-English series. Its upcoming second season boasts a star-studded cast, including Lee Jung Jae, Lee Byung Hun, Wi Ha Jun, Im Siwan, Kang Ha Neul, Park Gyu Young, and many more. The series portrays the gripping tale of 456 players who enter a life-threatening game, where only one person emerges alive, winning a staggering 45.6 billion won.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C2zr3ZDudd4/?utm_source=ig_embed&ig_rid=9a4d3fdc-2806-49d8-8235-7890c0bcde68

source : https://www.pinkvilla.com/entertainment/squid-game-2-sweet-home-3-to-gyeongseong-creature-2-netflix-reveals-2024-content-lineup-1275815

*** Netflix is gearing up for a thrilling year in 2024, with an impressive lineup of Korean and global content set to captivate audiences around the world. The streaming giant recently announced its 'Next On Netflix' lineup for the year, featuring an array of highly anticipated shows and movies. Among the highlights of the 2024 lineup is 'Squid Game' season 2.  They're offering a diverse range of content to cater to various tastes. They will also bring to us some beloved movies with distinct qualities.  'Squid Game' Season 2 is highly anticipated. Netflix's Korean entertainment shows, which achieved significant success last year are set to continue their winning streak in 2024. This year, a variety of rich stories that can only be found on Netflix are about to be released. Netflix works that will bring fun, emotion, and thrill to everyone who loves entertainment will continue to come to our screens.    :Twerkdatbutt:

• 2 weeks later...

Top Korean Shows and Movies to Look Forward to on Netflix in 2024

Over the years, Korean movies and TV shows have become extremely popular in the West. This is because of their high production quality and compelling storylines. Since Netflix is one of the world's leading streaming sites, it has recognized this trend and is actively acquiring and producing shows to keep audiences engaged.

With that being said, 2024 is going to be an exciting year for fans who love Korean movies and TV shows. Whether you like action-packed adventures, psychological thrillers, or K-dramas, there are films and series coming to Netflix that will pique your interest. Here are the top Korean shows you can expect to see this year.

"Squid Game - Season 2"

"Squid Game" is a thriller TV series that was released in 2021. The show follows a group of people looking for a way to get out of their financial troubles. They then receive a mysterious invitation to join a game show that offers contestants a large sum of money to complete a series of tasks. But what they don't realize is that the stakes are deadly.

In 2024, fans can expect "Squid Game - Season 2" with new faces and a storyline that explores the aftermath of the characters' lives from the first season. Fans can expect the release of the new season later this year, which promises a fresh dose of action and survival.

source : Hancinema