[Drama 2013 - 2014] Prime Minister and I 총리와 나

StaRix

akhenaten said: Anyway, what do PM&I lovers recommend I watch after this? I need to get over the shock. And to think I decided to give PM&I a try coz I was just so disappointed with the awful writing of "When A Man Loves". Would you recommend "Sweet 18"? A friend told me "You're Beautiful" is also good. I'm also curious about "King 2 Hearts". What about the ongoing dramas?

• Replies 10.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm having a serious case of PM&I withdrawal and frustration syndrome.  I'm starting to rewatch from episode 1 using a different version of the english subs from the one I used when I first watched the series.  And I also watched that infamous last scene again to see if I missed something.  Uhm, well at least you could see some sparkle and hint of a promise in Da Jeong's eyes, especially when she held out her hand, like she had some sort of surprise for Yul.  And it was good that Yul picked up on her hint coz his smile widened into a grin.  But it was still too much of a play-it-safe scene for me.  And way too subtle for this couple, given all those sexual innuendos from the beginning of their relationship, despite their denials then.    
I read a fan's comment in another forum about why the wedding ring Da Jeong took with her was never used in the end and I thought that would've been a great idea.  If Da Jeong had been wearing the ring when she held out her hand to Yul, then the story would have been less open-ended.  That ring alone being on her finger would have been more than enough for Yul (and everyone else) to know that she's truly come back to him for good.  And she should have offered her hand differently, not like a formal handshake, but more like a lady offering her hand to be kissed, the way she did when Yul took her hand the last time.
And then Yul should have pulled her to him and kissed her senseless. 8->

I have decided to pick up my courage and shattered heart to watch PM&I last episode. Tbh, yes I do feel that the last 2 episode felt somewhat disjointed and basically what most of you guys have already mentioned - tone, mood, lack of family. The part where grandpa passed away was really heartbreaking, and though I didn't tear up, but the scenes somehow triggered my sympathy and empathy for DJ. Despite the fact that she had a so called 'personality transplant'. But having a change of personality, does not come off as shocking. Well first of all she had no experience of love and she probably do not know how to approach the matter of dead wife coming back and all. She became withdrawn and somewhat indecisive, and not being able to communicate properly because of fear - She probably fear the idea of getting hurt emotionally. She felt inferior when she compared herself to NY. NY is Yul's first love and mother of his children. So by stepping back and leaving the kwon household is a defense mechanism. Though Yul have proven many times that he chose her, she is still unable to accept it initially because she might have the idea that Yul is still in shock over dead wife being alive. DJ might think that Yul has not thought through about his decision carefully, therefore there is the push and pull between these 2.  
Well, IMHO, I feel that the ending scene is somewhat not what we wanted, but like @Orion have said when a series started off with great episodes and somewhat ended with a lukewarm conclusion it is natural for us to feel disappointed. Well symbolically handshake represent a new start without any baggage attached between these two. And since this series ended off in this way...well I feel somewhat appeased. At least we know they are tgth. 
Well I would like to thank for being here with me during these 2 months of watching together PM&I. I enjoy every moment here with you guys, reading all of your insightful posts. I love all of them. Well I shall take an official bow out of this thread. If there is fate, I will hope to meet you in a new thread.    =))
Edited: just to add on, DJ took time with understanding herself more and taking the time to mature as a grown up. You see in the beginning of this drama, she seems somewhat unsure and indecisive of what she wants to achieve. Hence jumping on the contract marriage wagon with KY impulsively. I guess at the end of this drama. KY also took the year to settle his marital status and his personal issues with NY.  Both of them are able to begin a more stable relationship without obstacles blocking their way. 

hi everyone , can you help me lol I still havent watched last episode subbed, I want to but something is holding me back I mean I'm really hurt. the ending wasnt what I expected from the writers :(
I just want to say that they should have kept it a rom com after all. Na young's appearence didnt make any sense. they could have just let her be where she was. that way da jung would have stayed with pm and been his kids caring step mom. in my opinion they should have made Su Ho heal and tell his brother and na young's brother the truth that way they will know that pm had no hands in her death.
at some point the writers need to make things go the way nobody wants. the break up point should have been based on the sixth month contract, or let the kids know or somthing I don't know.
I really liked the show, really really enjoyed it but the ending just didnt make sense with all the hints we got in the previous episodes.
so na young's appearence was the worst twist and a stupid move from the writers.
anyway i'm sure when i'm depressed someday i'll go bach and watch it subbed and cry my heart out.
thank you all for your posts, and thank u show, you made me laugh, cry and love yoona even more.
have a nice day everyone

I know I already said my goodbyes, but

I just had to say perhaps SM C&C wanted to convince the free-to-air viewers that they're trying to produce much more better dramas (not just idol-advertising) so they didn't take it to cable. But now the upcoming drama

Secret Love Affair which is pretty much like a reverse gender story with similar age gap as PM&I is gonna be on cable. I wonder how that one will go. It's suddenly sparked my interest to watch these big-age-gap-between-main-chars dramas.

Can We Love? has really nice kissing scenes, just coz it's on cable. Kinda jealous coz I wish PM&I had better romancing D:<

Annyeong chingus! Finally i was able to watch the last two episode of PMAI with eng sub.

Here's my two cent about the ending:

When i first hear that the ending was bad, i thought that it really is that bad. But when i watched it, i felt a sense of happiness with the ending. I remember Da Jung telling KW to take that destination even if he needs to go back to the beginning and i guess it is the hint that they really have to start over again from the beginning.

I appears to me that through this kind of ending, they have corrected their past endeavors (having false relationship before falling inlove) into to meeting first, becoming friends before moving on to the next level. And that hand shake in the end was a very powerful representation of having a sincere beginning between the two of them.

I'm quite satisfied with the ending. All got their happy endings albeit i really want to ship Joon Ki and Hye Joo. Hahaha. I want to see Chae Jung Ahn to finally end with the man she loves in the next drama that she'll be in. This is two times in a row already *cough* when a man loves *cough* hahaha.

I will surely miss the thread. :-( :-)

Guest dainz81

hello all... wow.. u guy are still here...
i decided to re-watch the whole series again...
for me PMAI iz a good series.. imagine them to make a finishing episode into a movie. to conclude our OTP relationship. it will be nice.. but reality suck its not a trend in korea 
so guy i wish you guy all the best n keep enjoying a good drama n share it love with all
may u guys have happiness n prosperity ....muahh

ohoheli said: I appears to me that through this kind of ending, they have corrected their past endeavors (having false relationship before falling inlove) into to meeting first, becoming friends before moving on to the next level. And that hand shake in the end was a very powerful representation of having a sincere beginning between the two of them.

Hi guys!

I didn't posted before but It was a pleasure to follow this forum.

This drama was great thanks to Yoona she did an amazing job and I look forward her next project....

AND ANYONE KNOW ABOUT THE BACKGROUND SONG IN EPISODE 15 WHEN DA JUNG TELLS ABOUT THE LEGEND OF BABY BREATH THING??

this song can't get out of my mind and it's not among the various artist in the full ost it drives me crazy..... THANKS

Jae In said: Hi guys!

I didn't posted before but It was a pleasure to follow this forum.

This drama was great thanks to Yoona she did an amazing job and I look forward her next project....

AND ANYONE KNOW ABOUT THE BACKGROUND SONG IN EPISODE 15 WHEN DA JUNG TELLS ABOUT THE LEGEND OF BABY BREATH THING??

this song can't get out of my mind and it's not among the various artist in the full ost it drives me crazy..... THANKS

UPDATE: Fanfiction.net has added PMAI as a category under TV shows! So I moved my fanfic under that category. My story and the category is showing up now, so you should be able to find it by name or by category.
Thanks, guys, and I hope the writer fans in here submit some stories there!
I plan on writing three fanfics with three different endings. If interested, I just posted two chapters of my first fanfic here: http://bit.ly/1cgZ4Ln
Thanks, all!

C5eY9oD.png

'Prime Minister & I' Yoona “Thank you for helping my lacking self”
2. [+237,-59] It was because her drama was up against ‘Empress Ki’ that the ratings were low, but it was really fun and I can’t complain about anything about the drama. You worked hard!!

8. [+110,-28] So pretty. Good job, Nam Dajung~ Really when I think of Nam Dajung, I think of Yoona now that’s how good you were. You worked hard Yoona

9. [+104,-25] Not just Yoona, but Lee Bumsoo Yoon Siyoon, Chae Jungahn, Ryujin all worked hard. See you again in another great project~

source: original article; translated comments by netiz9n tumblr

[HanCinema's Drama Review] "The Prime Minister and I" Wrap-up
photo399878.jpg

Every once in a while, and thankfully more and more often, a drama will come out which tries a progressive approach to the themes it handles and/or the very formula of Korean drama. In bigger or smaller ways, be it through their plot, their message, their characters or premise, they go for something new, even in the confines of a very limiting industry like the Korean drama one. 'The Prime Minister and I' went all out in being fresh, mature and endearing. Unfortunately and despite all its efforts and virtues, it eventually became a reminder that this industry rarely welcomes deviations and that drama writing is far from a polished art.
Nam Da-jeong (Yoona) is a determined and brave scandal news reporter trying to make a living and care for her father (played by Lee Han-wi), who suffers from Alzheimer's Disease. Kwon Yool (Lee Beom-soo) is the country's youngest Prime Minister candidate, who is good at his job, but struggles to raise his three children alone, after having lost his wife in a car accident 7 years ago. When Da Jeong tries to get a scoop about his life, a compromising photo of theirs is taken and twisted into a dating scandal. Eventually, the two agree to a contract marriage to save Yool's career and fulfill Da Jeong's dying father's last wish to walk her down the aisle.
Right off the bat, the premise of a new type of family being formed through a lie and the age gap between the characters, but also actors, were big topics to take on. Along with that, the political struggles of Yool and danger of their contract being exposed gave the series a very fast-paced and satisfyingly full progression. Even after certain twists later on and during its more melodramatic parts, it is not a work to keep one bored and for the most part, it delivered on the things it set out to do.
Read more here: HanCinemaWritten by: Orion from 'Orion's Ramblings'

chrmftcotl said: UPDATE: Fanfiction.net has added PMAI as a category under TV shows! So I moved my fanfic under that category. My story and the category is showing up now, so you should be able to find it by name or by category.
Thanks, guys, and I hope the writer fans in here submit some stories there!
I plan on writing three fanfics with three different endings. If interested, I just posted two chapters of my first fanfic here: http://bit.ly/1cgZ4Ln
Thanks, all!

As @StaRix kindly posted, here is my Hancinema review of this. I can finally lay it to rest. :))

If I could tell the cast and crew how great they did, I would. And if I could find those who messed it up and happened to discover they did it on purpose, I would give them the biggest shame-on-you speech I can manage and hoo boy, would it last a while.

I hope they all get a good rest regardless. Except for the wicked. :P

Orion said:

ohoheli said:

I appears to me that through this kind of ending, they have corrected their past endeavors (having false relationship before falling inlove) into to meeting first, becoming friends before moving on to the next level. And that hand shake in the end was a very powerful representation of having a sincere beginning between the two of them.

akhenaten said: Unless the writers were really trying to emphasize the nobility of her self-sacrificing act?  If they were, couldn't they have at least let Da Jeong say so to Yul, out of respect for him and the way he felt towards her?           

victorb said: akhenaten said: Anyway, what do PM&I lovers recommend I watch after this? I need to get over the shock. And to think I decided to give PM&I a try coz I was just so disappointed with the awful writing of "When A Man Loves". Would you recommend "Sweet 18"? A friend told me "You're Beautiful" is also good. I'm also curious about "King 2 Hearts". What about the ongoing dramas?

Archived