[Movie 2014] SEA FOG 해무 ♥ KimYunSeok ♥ ParkYuChun (First trailer on p18)

vzmeiin

Haemoo is one of 5 chosen Korean movies to be broadcasted in LFF 2015 [via @Boscopnh]
Haemoo, #OdetoMyFather, #NewWorld, #HillofFreedom & #HanGongjuat the Korea-LAC(Latin America&the Caribbean)Film Fest [via @MickyMong6002]http://m.busan.go.kr/index.do?menuCd=DOM_000000113003000000&command=view&idx=7671&year=2015&month=2&schWord=&eventCode=&cPage=3&

CAguT-DU8AAxRjP.jpg:large

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply

class="yt watch-title-container" style="margin: 0px 0px 13px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; display: table-cell; vertical-align: top; color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; overflow: hidden; background: rgb(255, 255, 255);"[TRAILER] SEA FOG (Les Clandestins) Bande-annonce VOST
In theaters on 1st April..

BLUEstage @MickyMong6002 ND/NF Interview: Shim Sung-bo Talks About Taking The Helm On HAEMOO & Mentioned Park Yoochun http://twitchfilm.com/2015/03/ndnf-shim-sung-bo-talks-about-taking-the-helm-on-haemoo.html 
Embedded image permalink

class="headline" itemprop="name" ND/NF Interview: Shim Sung-bo Talks About Taking The Helm On HAEMOO Diva Vélez

Hmoo_1shTwitch-thumb-300xauto-54432.jpg

A box office hit in its native Korea, Shim Sung-bo's directorial debut, HAEMOO {Sea Fog} made its New York premiere at Lincoln Center's New Directors/New Films Festival.  Regarded for his screenwriting collaboration with Bong Joon-ho on the now-classic, Memories of Murder, Shim spoke with us about what it took to direct this first feature, having Bong as his producer, and casting one of Korea's top idols.

The Lady Miz Diva:  When you spoke of Bong Joon-ho before we began our interview, you called him your boss.  What is it like to work with him as the producer of HAEMOO, since you have been writing partners for so long?

Shim Sung-bo: 
It was like a big umbrella for me, definitely.  For example, the character of Chang-wook would not have been possible if Bong Joon-ho had not been present.  So, that's just one of a lot of examples.

LMD:  Was he supportive and encouraging when you decided to direct your first feature?

SSb:
  There really is not a defined line in Korea between an assistant director and a screenwriter.  So, one way of becoming a director is going through the position of scriptwriter.  It's just that in my case it took a little longer than some others, but that's also how complicated the development the Korean movie industry is right now.  Like there was this one script that I worked on for really long time that did not get made into a movie, and that was a love story between a man and a woman, and Bong read all the different versions of that script.  And I believe that my working on or making that type of a love story would serve me well in directing this type of movie in HAEMOO; I think that's why he recommended that I do this.

LMD:  Was the actual experience of directing different than what you had imagined before taking on this film?

SSb: 
It couldn't be more different.  Even when you try to be as detailed and specific in your script, when you actually got to the scene on the set, there would be so many holes, and those holes were mostly filled by the wonderful cast.

LMD:  Speaking of the wonderful cast, there's a rather famous pop music idol in your film...

SSb:
  Ah, {Park} Yoochun?

LMD:  Yes.  While he has done television dramas, I believe he only made a cameo appearance as himself in a movie years ago, so this is really his first feature acting role.  What was it about him that made you feel that this person was going to be my romantic lead?

SSb:
  I think he was kind of fearless, that was one reason.  He really projected this image of a good person, of goodness, and also I got really good vibes from him.  And it's not that we have a lot of male actors who are well into their 20s, and Yoochun really wanted to do this role.  And you know how if you're an idol, it's extremely difficult for an idol to feel fondness for this type of character.  

So, what we believed was, because he would be surrounded by the rest of the cast who are all veterans and amazingly experienced actors; we felt that as long as he could leave his schedule open, so he would have days to shoot together and work with the actors, they would be able to really fill in - that he would really be able to identify and kind of melt into the rest of the actors and be able to do his part just fine.  And he was really so into this movie, that except for a few little schedules that he had to do, he really was able to concentrate on this movie.  And from the level of his management company, that was a very difficult decision to make.

LMD:  The film goes to some very dark places at times, and as Yoochun is such a famous idol, I wonder if there was any pushback or hesitation from himself or his management about portraying some of the darker aspects of the film?

SSb:
  Not at all.

LMD:  Can you talk about working with Mr. Kim Yoon-seok on the role of the captain?  He's like a great mixture of Robert Shaw in JAWS and Captain Ahab from MOBY richard simmonsThe captain is always a seething, bubbling cauldron of emotions, but you never know how he's going to blow. What kind of notes did you give Mr. Kim regarding playing this character?

SSb:
  He and I talked a lot about the scenario.  So, after I met him and he signed on, I actually rewrote the script before we began to shoot, and in the rewrite, the keyword was pathos, or pathetic love.  And before the rewrite, the version before that actually had the captain becoming almost one with the sea fog and kind of attacking Dong-sik and Hong-mae almost like he was going to eat them up.  But during the rewrite, I decided to identify him with the boat - couple him with the boat.

LMD:  How does the Captain justify the things he does? Was he just going crazy? Is this the true essence of what it means to be evil? Thinking of that reminded me of MEMORIES OF MURDER, and I wondered if as a writer, you are fascinated by what drives people to the edge of sanity or morality?

SSb:
  I don't think there is any fully evil person in this movie.  We really never talked about it.  It was never spoken when we prepared this movie that we would be portraying any evilness.
The responsibility of a captain is to make the most realistic decisions and determinations.  It's just that it just happens that each of his choices sort of drove not only him, but other people into this kind of valley, into the swamp of tragedy, like a spiral.

LMD:  Watching this film, I couldn't help but be reminded of some similarities - perhaps in the morality of the crew, or the way certain things were handled on the ship with regard to the passengers - to the reports of the terrible Sewol ferry tragedy last year.  I wondered if there was any mention of that from the Korean media?

SSb: 
You know, I didn't even pay any attention to it.

LMD:  Now having wet your feet as a director, has it encouraged you to make more films?  Would you consider directing a screenplay you didn't write?

SSb: 
You know, what I really feel is that I do not have the ability to create something from absolutely nothing; so I really believe that I need to meet a great story first.  But I would like to do the adaptation myself, and I would like to direct that adaptation myself, as well.

LMD:  Do you have anything planned?

SSb:
  I can't disclose that because we are still getting the rights.

LMD:  What do you wish for HAEMOO to bring to international audiences?

SSb: 
You know, this movie is slated to open in some big markets, and there are some big markets for which this movie has yet to be decided when and whether it will open, but I think just overall, I'm just so encouraged and gratified by the positive reaction.  And what really makes me sort of happy and empowers me, is the fact that something that I really like, something that I really feel passionately about, is something that can be identified with. Something that is felt by other people, as well.  Especially internationally, and that is just an amazing feeling to know.

This interview is cross-posted on my own site, The Diva Review. Please enjoy additional content, including exclusive photos there.

Read more: http://twitchfilm.com/2015/03/ndnf-shim-sung-bo-talks-about-taking-the-helm-on-haemoo.html#ixzz3VNCz2pon

• 1 month later...

Movie Review – Haemoo (2014)

For a movie that got itself invited to many foreign film festivals, Haemoo certainly did not fail in the intensity and scale in terms of issues it wanted to present, namely social stratas and human nature in adversity. What it did fail, as mention in most of the review articles out there, is the depth of characters. At 111min long, the story had to build up the reason why the owner of the fishing ship decided to dabble in human trafficking, the squabbles that happened onboard, how and why calamity striked, the crew’s approach to the problem at hand, as well as resolving the possibly unnecessary love story that became important in the last act. There was simply too much on the plate, to give depth to the main characters, and most of them ended up to be one dimensional.

movie-haiwu-by-sung-bo-shim-s1-mask9.jpg

Read more on The Cat that Watches TV

• 2 weeks later...

Park Yuchun at Baeksang Awards 2015
5/26/15

Inside the venue...Receiving awards

JJYCJS JYJ 

CF7uVoDVAAAmt7O.jpg 
Congratulated by Choi MinSik, Lee JungJae, and Park SungWoong (CJeS family in one table)
2015052621424204100.jpeg
Shook hands  with Han YeRi on way to receive the award.
CF7xHNkUIAQR2Rk.jpg 
CF7xHNiUoAATpTU.jpg 
해무의 박유천. 26일 박유천이 제51회 백상예술상에서 영화 부문 남자 신인상을 수상했다./JTBC방송캡처

Arriving at the ceremony...

Xiah kkyu 

Embedded image permalink 

Embedded image permalink 
Embedded image permalink
 Embedded image permalink 
201505262208775870_556470a73a687.jpg 

Embedded image permalink

[포토]박유천 `단정한 턱시도 자태`

Pics as tagged

Much more here: JYJ CAFFEINE: Park Yuchun at 51st Baeksang Awards (5/26/15) http://jyjcaffeine.blogspot.com/2015/05/park-yuchun-at-51st-baeksang-awards.html?spref=tw

• 2 weeks later...

Korean Film Festival: "Haemoo"

Korean Film Festival: "Haemoo"

DateFriday, June 5, 2015, 7 pm
VenueFreer Gallery of Art
Event LocationMeyer Auditorium
CostFree.

Details
Watch the trailer.
Produced and cowritten by the internationally renowned Bong Joon-ho (director of Snowpiercer and The Host), Haemoo is based on a popular play that was itself inspired by true events. After a disappointing catch, the crew of a rundown fishing boat agrees to transport 30 illegal Chinese immigrants. A shocking and tragic accident occurs, and the crew must decide just how much their cargo’s lives are worth—and how far they’ll go to protect themselves from prosecution.
The title, which translates to “sea fog,” refers to a nautical phenomenon that can trap ships at sea; here, it serves as a metaphor for the moral fog in which its characters find themselves. “It's a gripping ride … with powerful imagery, a simple and accessible story and a stellar performance from Kim Yoon-seok (the star of The Yellow Sea and The Thieves, no less) as a captain slowly spiraling towards madness” (Clarence Tsui, The Hollywood Reporter). (Dir.: Shim Sung-ho, Korea, 2014, 110 min., DCP, Korean with English subtitles)

Korean Film Festival: "Haemoo": Friday, June 5, 2015, 7 pm:  http://www.asia.si.edu/events/allevents.asp?trumbaEmbed=view%3Devent%26eventid%3D114171880

• 2 weeks later...
[TRANS] 150615 Kim Yoon-seok mentions Yuchun in his interview
htm_20150615083122839.jpg~original
– Do you have a friend who will come through? out of the junior actors.
“I don’t know about the friends I’ve never met but among the friends I’ve met, it is (Park) Yuchun. Yuchunnie has a really good mind toward acting and his works. I think he can be a good actor.”
Source: IS Plus  
Translated by: rilanna of JYJ3  
Shared by: JYJ3

[TRANS] 150613 Kim Yoon-seok mentions Yuchun in his interview

photo 20150612212857311226.jpg

On June 12, Kim Yoon-seok said, “Although my name is up on my past works like ‘Hwayi: The Boy Who Swallowed A Monster[/A Monster Boy]'(2013) and ‘Haemoo/Sea Fog'(2014) as a lead role, I think I am the supporting lead actually”.

“To say clearly, Yeo Jin-goo in ‘Hwayi’ and Park Yuchun in ‘Sea Fog’ are the main leads. I should be the key supporting lead. I’ve seen how it makes no sense to complain about ‘Why does my name appear after?’ in the position of a senior. Rather, we should freely, with a flexible position, let the juniors grow greater.”

Source: No Cut News
Translated by: rilanna of JYJ3
Shared by: JYJ3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Sea Fog at SLIFF 2015: A Gritty Korean Tragedy on the High Seas

by Andrew Wyatt

November 10, 2015

Sea%20Fog.jpg?cb=58ad1e99c5e04d631e96c06

Korean director Sung bo-Shim's outstanding debut feature Sea Fog begins prosaically enough, with the small, toughened crew of a fishing trawler. Their captain, Kang Chul-joo (Yun-seok Kim) is a no-nonsense, superstitious salt who is protective of his vessel, the Junjin, despite the fact that it is owned by local seafood merchants. They are unhappy with his meager catches and threatening to sell, driving Kang to a local smuggler. The captain agrees to illicitly transport several dozen ethnically Korean immigrants from China, a scheme to which the crew reluctantly ascents due to the hefty payout. Naturally, once at sea, nothing is as simple as it seemed back in port. After a fiasco of a rendezvous in the fogbound open ocean, the men of the Junjin are soon struggling to keep the restless refugees hidden from coast guard patrols. Meanwhile, green crew member Dong-sik (Yoo-chun Park) becomes infatuated with Hong Mae (Ye-ri Han), and attempts to conceal the young immigrant woman within the comparatively warm engine room.

Sea Fog contains elements of a maritime thriller and a romantic drama, but it is fundamentally a tragedy worthy of Sophocles, one in which poor decisions and pure bad luck devilishly collude to unravel the characters' efforts. Sung's screenplay—co-written with acclaimed director Joon-ho Bong—is replete with unexpected and often devastating narrative swerves. Around the midpoint of the film, a shocking catastrophe suddenly drives Sea Fog into the borderlands of Coen brothers territory. Bloody misdeeds pile up like colliding cars on the freeway, while Dong-sik and Hong Mae fight not just to survive, but to resist the corruption and delusion that descend on the rest of the crew. It's stellar, gripping filmmaking of the grimmest sort, where even a seemingly happy ending can dissolve into forlorn uncertainty.

Sea Fog screens November 11 at 9:10 p.m. and November 12 at 2:20 p.m. Both screenings are at the Landmark Plaza Frontenac Cinema. For tickets or additional information, visit the Cinema St. Louis website.

Full Disclosure: Andrew Wyatt is serving as a juror for the New Filmmakers Forum's (NFF) Emerging Director Award at the Whitaker St. Louis International Film Festival.

Sea Fog[Haemoo] at SLIFF 2015: A Gritty Korean Tragedy on the High Seas http://www.stlmag.com/arts/movie-reviews/sea-fog-at-sliff-2015-a-gritty-korean-tragedy-on-the-high-se/ 

Embedded image permalink

More JYJ News here: JYJ CAFFEINE: JYJ News Week of 11/09-11/15/2015 http://jyjcaffeine.blogspot.com/2015/11/jyj-news-week-of-1109-11152015.html?spref=tw

• 9 months later...

Archived