walk and pose?

Can you do something else

Like modeling AND acting?

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jaxije22

I always believe that there are equal chances for everyone as long as you are talented. It's true that SM prefers Asians but they've also accepted white people as well. Even though you're African American, you should still give auditioning a try, I think they might station you in Japan instead because African Americans are more marketable there.

Thanks! I actually have a sister who is living in Japan so it would be a dream come true to get stationed there. I'll let you know if they give me any feedback. I'm auditioning soon and I'm sooo excited! :)

*Because there are so many people telling "white" lies that richard simmons me off, I'm just going to say the truth. I'm sorry if I offend anyone with my ranting. But I think it's better to tell the truth than lie to someone and get them all excited for nothing.*

o-o" As far as I know, SM only has korean, chinese, and japanese trainees so far. Koreans making up at LEAST 85% of them. I'm not really sure where you heard that SM accepted a white person, but if it's true, they won't debut in Korea. SM is not only known for their artists being uljjangs, they're also known for living up to the crowd's expectations, if not over them. And korean netizens can either make or break an artist's success. I'm sure anyone figured that out by now. Like I said in another thread before, entertainment companies look for people that can make them money. And to make money, you have to appeal to the crowd. Koreans want to see asians (korean, chinese, or japanese) debuting in Korea. Not an american or an african american. It's like an asian debuting in America. Not likely they will get far. (WG don't count since they already had fans overseas. But BoA is a perfect example. Although she's major popular in Asia, not a lot of people even KNEW her in America.) Korean entertainment companies just recently opened up to chinese people debuting in Korea alongside koreans. I HIGHLY doubt they will start accepting white people anytime soon. Let alone african americans. I hate to say it, but there's little to no chance that someone who is NOT asian will make it. Not even filipinos are being seriously considered. I'm not going to be like the hundreds of people that say that entertainment companies consider everyone. Because they don't. Even on SM's posters, they state that all ASIANS can audition. During the weekly ones, they say anyone can audition. But do you honestly think they mean it? America moved on from racism and segregation a while ago. But some countries in Europe and Asia still have great pride in their culture. And that includes Korea. Sorry if it's harsh. I hate being mean. But being told the truth is better than being lied to, getting your hopes up, them being crushed by that lie, Beleive me, I've been through all that. Anyone CAN audition. But remember, America has american and african american artists while asia has asian artists. And it's like that for a reason. if you really love music and want to be a singer not because you want to be famous, them I suggest you try for the american market. It's better anyways. If you just want to be famous, then for all means, go for it. Audition for SM, JYP, YG, etc. But I won't say that you'll make it far if you aren't asian.

Once again, I'm sorry if I offended anyone. Please don't take this as a "Oh she's just mad so she's taking it out on us." It's not. I'm being honest and telling the truth. And most of the time, the truth hurts.

I understand your take on it! I've already considered their history. I'm going to audition for the experience and so that I don't look back and wish I had. Thanks.

Guest Natsune619

You spoke my mind, thank you ^^

It's so true too...I don't like how some people on these forums get all excited because honestly, in my own opinion, if (and seriously, dont be offended k) I saw a white/black guy in a new idol group, yea, they stand out, but not in the good way. I'd first be thinking : uh what's a white/black/brown/etc guy doing in an ASIAN group. It'll just be super weird and unpleasant. Japan might work. But def not korea.

Um.. actually, I kind of doubt that Japan would accept a non-asian in an asian group. They like halfs, but only half JAPANESE people. Japan is a pretty homogenous country (not as much as Korea though)

however, there are a few exceptions (eg Monkey Majik, Leah Dizon) but the chances are 0.0000000001%, and only if you are super super lucky/ super pretty/ super talented- at least one of these.

As Munchkins said, it's like a Asian debuting in America.. almost impossible.

Not trying to be mean here, but people shouldn't have high expectations..

Guest something-like

Um.. actually, I kind of doubt that Japan would accept a non-asian in an asian group. They like halfs, but only half JAPANESE people. Japan is a pretty homogenous country (not as much as Korea though)

however, there are a few exceptions (eg Monkey Majik, Leah Dizon) but the chances are 0.0000000001%, and only if you are super super lucky/ super pretty/ super talented- at least one of these.

As Munchkins said, it's like a Asian debuting in America.. almost impossible.

Not trying to be mean here, but people shouldn't have high expectations..

Oh haha. I have no idea about japan =,= just blurting out what i heard somewhere LOL

Guest SMDreamer

*Because there are so many people telling "white" lies that richard simmons me off, I'm just going to say the truth. I'm sorry if I offend anyone with my ranting. But I think it's better to tell the truth than lie to someone and get them all excited for nothing.*

o-o" As far as I know, SM only has korean, chinese, and japanese trainees so far. Koreans making up at LEAST 85% of them. I'm not really sure where you heard that SM accepted a white person, but if it's true, they won't debut in Korea. SM is not only known for their artists being uljjangs, they're also known for living up to the crowd's expectations, if not over them. And korean netizens can either make or break an artist's success. I'm sure anyone figured that out by now. Like I said in another thread before, entertainment companies look for people that can make them money. And to make money, you have to appeal to the crowd. Koreans want to see asians (korean, chinese, or japanese) debuting in Korea. Not an american or an african american. It's like an asian debuting in America. Not likely they will get far. (WG don't count since they already had fans overseas. But BoA is a perfect example. Although she's major popular in Asia, not a lot of people even KNEW her in America.) Korean entertainment companies just recently opened up to chinese people debuting in Korea alongside koreans. I HIGHLY doubt they will start accepting white people anytime soon. Let alone african americans. I hate to say it, but there's little to no chance that someone who is NOT asian will make it. Not even filipinos are being seriously considered. I'm not going to be like the hundreds of people that say that entertainment companies consider everyone. Because they don't. Even on SM's posters, they state that all ASIANS can audition. During the weekly ones, they say anyone can audition. But do you honestly think they mean it? America moved on from racism and segregation a while ago. But some countries in Europe and Asia still have great pride in their culture. And that includes Korea. Sorry if it's harsh. I hate being mean. But being told the truth is better than being lied to, getting your hopes up, them being crushed by that lie, Beleive me, I've been through all that. Anyone CAN audition. But remember, America has american and african american artists while asia has asian artists. And it's like that for a reason. if you really love music and want to be a singer not because you want to be famous, them I suggest you try for the american market. It's better anyways. If you just want to be famous, then for all means, go for it. Audition for SM, JYP, YG, etc. But I won't say that you'll make it far if you aren't asian.

Once again, I'm sorry if I offended anyone. Please don't take this as a "Oh she's just mad so she's taking it out on us." It's not. I'm being honest and telling the truth. And most of the time, the truth hurts.

.......... Well that makes me incredibly freakin nervous then..

I'm not Korean, Chinese or Japanese.. But I'm asian. I've also been mistaken for being Korean a few times.

Are my chances just as low because of ethnicity??

Guest Munchkins

.......... Well that makes me incredibly freakin nervous then..

I'm not Korean, Chinese or Japanese.. But I'm asian. I've also been mistaken for being Korean a few times.

Are my chances just as low because of ethnicity??

If you look Korean, I don't really see why not.

BUT you have to remember that a lot of people can dig up your history in a matter of seconds.

Even if the company lies and states that you're Korean, some Koreans actually check. o-o" I know, scary.

Companies, especially the big ones, don't like to take that risk.

If you take that into account, your chances of getting accepted are still slightly higher than a non-asian, but still a lot lower than an actual 100% Korean or Chinese person. If I were you, I would still go for it. But don't expect too much.

Guest SMDreamer

If you look Korean, I don't really see why not.

BUT you have to remember that a lot of people can dig up your history in a matter of seconds.

Even if the company lies and states that you're Korean, some Koreans actually check. o-o" I know, scary.

Companies, especially the big ones, don't like to take that risk.

If you take that into account, your chances of getting accepted are still slightly higher than a non-asian, but still a lot lower than an actual 100% Korean or Chinese person. If I were you, I would still go for it. But don't expect too much.

Thanks. I'll just keep trying til I make it. :D

Guest hahahahahh

Okay so, I'm am an African American female! I really love jpop n kpop. I can sing and dance. What do you think are my chances of getting into SM training considering I'm far from Asian. If your answer is no, please be kind!!!! I am going to audition anyway, I just want to know...

that's what i've been told. but i guess it can also be used to imply youth.

u should always try

except

dont be 2 dissapointed if u get rejected

its hrd for azns to debut in the american mainstream

and just as hard for ppl who could make it in america

to debut in asia

they r looking for more azns

Does SM like female rappers?

yes

but take into condisderation

if u like hip hop

yg or jyp is the way to go

sm always debuts their artists in pop

if they make it

they tweak

i wear glasses.

should i wear them when i audition or should i take them off?

because i think i look much better without them on.

dont wrry

theyll ask u to take it off

though wat they really want

is beauty

with or with it off

Guest Ellush

What should I do? I wanna audition but The thing is that I am latin-european. And sure, My eyes arent really asiatic (well they look asiatic when put on mascara or brown eyeliner) and My skin isnt so clear. Its like honey-coloured. I’ve heard sm only wants beautiful people (palewhite skin, black big eyes and thin). I am 1.62m (162cm) and I am very thin (I weight 44 kg) and I am 14 years old.I know 4 languages : french, swedish, spanish, english. Im learning japanese and korean. I’ve performed since I was 6 years old. I play the piano,flute,sing,dance. Do I have à chance in the auditions? How do I make My emailaudition? Am I too short or too old to audition? I am not asian… can I audition?

Guest something-like

What should I do? I wanna audition but The thing is that I am latin-european. And sure, My eyes arent really asiatic (well they look asiatic when put on mascara or brown eyeliner) and My skin isnt so clear. Its like honey-coloured. I’ve heard sm only wants beautiful people (palewhite skin, black big eyes and thin). I am 1.62m (162cm) and I am very thin (I weight 44 kg) and I am 14 years old.I know 4 languages : french, swedish, spanish, english. Im learning japanese and korean. I’ve performed since I was 6 years old. I play the piano,flute,sing,dance. Do I have à chance in the auditions? How do I make My emailaudition? Am I too short or too old to audition? I am not asian… can I audition?

You gotta stop spamming that...I've seen you post that about at least 3 times in this or another thread...

Like everyone says. Go audition if you want to, ANYONE can audition. Though the harsh reality is that they prefer asians (korean, chinese, japanese) and it's incredibly hard for a non-asian to make it, I'd say the chances are about 1% no exaggeration (Just think, have you seen any asians debut in america and make it big? No, right? So it's up to you if you want to try.)

Now please stop spamming that ...

Guest betterday55

for people who sent mail/email audition demo tapes to SM in LA, how long does it take for them to respond? And do u get a confirmation email from them?

Guest Munchkins

Uhm... Would it be alright if I audition with my own composition?

That's perfectly fine.

for people who sent mail/email audition demo tapes to SM in LA, how long does it take for them to respond? And do u get a confirmation email from them?

For e-mail, it takes as short as 2 days to as long as 3 months. But the response is usually an automated message telling you that they recieved your e-mail and that it will be evaluated or something like that. Not really sure about mail though.

Guest LimeGreen

for the sm weekly audition right, do i head over to sm ent. building first or just head to everysing? kinda confusing for me ):

Guest Yai!

for the sm weekly audition right, do i head over to sm ent. building first or just head to everysing? kinda confusing for me ):

on the website it says that the audition is held at everysing so I'm assuming that you would have to head straight over and Ive heard from other people saying that they auditioned at everysing, so yeeeaahh, lol. When are you auditioning?

Guest Ellush

You gotta stop spamming that...I've seen you post that about at least 3 times in this or another thread...

Like everyone says. Go audition if you want to, ANYONE can audition. Though the harsh reality is that they prefer asians (korean, chinese, japanese) and it's incredibly hard for a non-asian to make it, I'd say the chances are about 1% no exaggeration (Just think, have you seen any asians debut in america and make it big? No, right? So it's up to you if you want to try.)

Now please stop spamming that ...

srry its just That no one really responded My question and Im that kind of person who wants to be sure about everything before I do somethin'. So can anyone just please Tell me everything so that I can stop asking all the time?

Look, many say that if you look asian, then there is no problem, other say if you arent asian by blood then you're out. And well, My father has some japanese blood on his side (far ancestors)- but bearly nothing. And c'mon, look at JoKwon from Beast (or w/e his name is). It is so obvious that he is not korean, yet he is very Famous. And all his fans think he is korean. Cant see how they can possibly think that (I mean he has a FAT english accent and look at his face-hallo? Anyone see korean eyes or face??)

Guest sheva88

srry its just That no one really responded My question and Im that kind of person who wants to be sure about everything before I do somethin'. So can anyone just please Tell me everything so that I can stop asking all the time?

Look, many say that if you look asian, then there is no problem, other say if you arent asian by blood then you're out. And well, My father has some japanese blood on his side (far ancestors)- but bearly nothing. And c'mon, look at JoKwon from Beast (or w/e his name is). It is so obvious that he is not korean, yet he is very Famous. And all his fans think he is korean. Cant see how they can possibly think that (I mean he has a FAT english accent and look at his face-hallo? Anyone see korean eyes or face??)

Isn't Jokwon from 2AM?? He's Korean. And if you're talking about a Beast member, they all look korean to me. Unless you're talking about Mir from MBLAQ, he's philippino but he passes off as a korean real easily. As long as you look korean it's fine. Unless you're black or obviously white-ish then it's gonna be tough. SM Entertainment took in Isak, a half white and korean, but she's passes off well as a korean but she's pretty annoying IMO. But ok that's nt the point. If you wanna look for a benchmark for white artists in SM Entertainment, Isak can be your benchmark - that's when it's the days she first debut, not what she looks like now. And she was wayyyy gorgeous back then. So that can be your benchmark I guess. No lesser then how Isak looks.

Guest something-like

Ok seriously, are you stupid? Jo Kwon is 100% korean. Hello, fat english accent because KOREAN IS HIS NATIVE LANGUAGE? And hello, Jo is a korean last name, and Kwon as well? And he's from 2AM, lol did you just blurt out some random name or something...you've no idea what you're talking about

Lol if you really want an answer here's the brutal reality k? They like asians , preferably chinese or korean. Period. If you're any other colour, 99% chance they'll just skip you.

Does that answer you?

Guest theJAPANties

^I think he was talking about B2ST's Dongwoon, who to me looks foreign. >_>; sorry if I'm mistaken.

Guest Storytime

Isn't Jokwon from 2AM?? He's Korean. And if you're talking about a Beast member, they all look korean to me. Unless you're talking about Mir from MBLAQ, he's philippino but he passes off as a korean real easily. As long as you look korean it's fine. Unless you're black or obviously white-ish then it's gonna be tough. SM Entertainment took in Isak, a half white and korean, but she's passes off well as a korean but she's pretty annoying IMO. But ok that's nt the point. If you wanna look for a benchmark for white artists in SM Entertainment, Isak can be your benchmark - that's when it's the days she first debut, not what she looks like now. And she was wayyyy gorgeous back then. So that can be your benchmark I guess. No lesser then how Isak looks.

Since when was Mir philippino? He's Korean. So is his actress sister, Bang HyoJin aka Go Eun Ah.

But @Ellush - Chances are if you look/pass for an asian or even half, it's acceptable. On a side note, everybody from BEAST IS korean.