[Drama 2013] The End of the World 세계의 끝

Guest YunRa1430270238

No, the cut of episodes had nothing to do with anything, except money:

APRIL 11, 2013

As if Ahn Pan-Seok’s 세계의 끝 (The End of the World) wasn’t revolutionary enough, here’s another little page of history written by this amazing show: starting from this week’s episode 9, we’ll move from the traditional two episode per week format to just one (which will air on Sundays). Industry insiders have been asking the Big 3 to move to this format for years (Korea is one of the few countries that broadcast two episodes of a drama in one week, which is one of the reasons behind the rampant live shoot plague) to no avail, but since this production was never geared towards ratings and it’s scoring pretty bad on that front anyway (I don’t have recent nationwide average ratings from AGB but I’m hearing it’s in the 0.3 to 0.4% range), might as well focus all your efforts on making the best possible drama. But I wish this happened for better reasons: the decision wasn’t something Ahn necessarily wished for, because it was imposed on him along with a curtailment of no less than 8 episodes (so down from the original 20 to 12), exactly because of disappointing ratings. This is not the first time jTBC does this to a show — 청담동 살아요 (I Live in Cheongdam-Dong) was shortened from 200 to 170 episodes — but on such a scale it pretty much kills any chances the show will fully fulfill its incredible potential, since they’re essentially forcing the writer to conflate 2nd and 3rd act (of a script that was already completed before the drama even started airing) into a meager four episodes. I would blame the 99.7% of the mainstream that is ignoring this piece of K-drama history, but sadly such decisions don’t really depend on them. The hybrids aren’t selling ads, they’re bleeding money left and right, and if you have ratings that bad, the bottom line always comes up. See it this way: HBO cut Treme short, and AMC canned Rubicon as well. It sure sucks to be non-mainstream viewers who actually want their TV to stimulate their brains. [Press Release]
Credit: http://vaultofdoom.wordpress.com/2012/12/07/k-drama-newsdesk-updated-12-07/

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest guccigal

Now watching this.
It took me 3 days to finish the first episode (yawn). It's all talk with long subtitles to boot.
I thought it was going to be an action drama with catastrophe at a massive scale.
Now on episode 3, which focuses more on the 'carrier of the virus'.  Still boring and wordy.  Fell asleep twice.
I think I'm going to stop. (:

Guest pixelsprite

The lack of mainstream appeal is reflected in the low ratings that this drama has, which in turn led to its drastic reduction. Quite an unfortunate situation for everyone working on it, but having seen the final episode, it seems to me like they managed to wrap it up just fine.

The subject matter is depressing, scary, and real (infectious diseases), the tone is mostly sombre, and it generally revolves around the mundane day-to-day. All of that is just a backdrop though, and it's more about selfish human nature, and relationships with others. The mundanity actually makes everything feel natural, believable, and compelling.

It's understandable this drama won't suit everybody's tastes though. I wasn't totally drawn in after watching the first few episodes either, but I stuck with it and I must say it sure does taste sweet. These characters will definitely stay with me for a long time to come. The writing is wonderful too. I'll have to look into the writer's body of work :)

• 11 months later...
Guest ichah

hey guys, do you know how to watch this drama? seems like this drama is harder to find than other Ahn Pan Suk's drama in jtbc (SLA is the easiest one, thanks to the popularity of Yoo Ah In. AWC, well atleast i got the RAWs dan subtitles, although its subtitles' quality isn't as good as SLA's subs in viki) . my local drama download site even don't have this drama's thread and RAWs. anyone can help??

Archived