[Movie 2013] The New World 신세계

Guest jjsweeter0211

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest jjsweeter0211

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhEWgRTfBqYhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsoVEkFqv0whttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtXp277rJ-s

Guest jjsweeter0211

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4owfgi9Z1ghttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbwajRd0RsAhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29a3MdJLriYhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otDEEt4OaWc

Guest jjsweeter0211

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFexE--Z1d4http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngTwaeyS0-Mhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xr77t0NDeRwhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCQEU_2BnIQ

January 7, 2013
NEW WORLD Is a New Kind of Korean Crime Drama Top Korean Actors Set to Thrill in Explosive Ensemble by Kim Hyun-min KOFIC
Lee Jung-jae, Choi Min-shik and Hwang Jung-min’s New World has confirmed its release date as February 21st. Just by looking at the cast, this movie is grabbing people's attention as the most anticipated film of early 2013. Lee Jung-jae, who has shown a remarkable range of acting through The Housemaid and The Thieves, an unrivalled performer in Nameless Gangster: Rules of the Time’s Choi Min-shik, and Hwang Jung-min, who has time and again shown off his pwerful bravado from Bloody Tie and The Unjust have joined for this film. There are to portray a tense relationship through this film. New World is about an undercover cop who has snuck into Korea’s biggest mafia, it is a drama about conspiracy, fidelity and betrayal. A detective (Choi Min-shik) who has constructed an undercover operation, a cop (Lee Jung-jae) who has snuck into the mafia as ordered by the detective, and the second top person in the mafia (Hwang Jung-min) who has no idea who he is but takes care of him. The relationship between these three is drawn into a tense drama. Park Hoon-jung in the director's chair wrote the scripts for The Unjust, and I Saw the Devil. Following on from his debut The Showdown he has written and director his sophomore feature the New World.

January 17, 2013
Top actors collaborate for crime thriller
Choi Min-sik, Lee Jung-jae and Hwang Jeong-min co-star in ‘New World’
By Claire Lee The Korea Herald
Three heavyweight actors are co-starring in one of the most anticipated films of the first half of the year.
Choi Min-sik (“Oldboy,” “I Saw the Devil”), Lee Jung-jae (“The Thieves,” “The Housemaid”), and Hwang Jeong-min (“The Unjust,” “You Are My Sunshine”) are returning to the big screen next month in a crime thriller directed by Park Hun-jeong.
The thriller tells the story of police detective Ja-seong (Lee Jung-jae), who is assigned by his boss Park (Choi Min-sik) to do an undercover investigation into “Gold Moon,” one of the biggest crime organizations in the country. Ja-seong disguises himself as one of the gang’s members. 
20130117000668_0.jpgA scene from upcoming film “New World” (NEW)
The investigation goes on for eight years, and Ja-seong finds himself caught between the gang’s second-in-command Jeong Cheong (Hwang Jeong-min), who “trusts him with his life,” and his senior detective Park, who uses Ja-seong for his own success. The film deals with the themes of betrayal and loyalty, as well as conspiracy.
Park was one of the writers for Kim Ji-woon’s 2010 film “I Saw the Devil,” which starred Choi Min-sik as a serial killer. 
The two met during the production phase of the film, and Park told Choi about some of the scripts he was working on at the time, including the “New World.” Choi was impressed and promised to star in the films. 
“I felt like this guy had something,” Choi said through the promoters. “All of the scripts sounded interesting. But it seemed like ‘New World’ would attract the investors the most.”
It was also Choi who brought actor Lee Jung-jae into the project.
“It was actually Choi who called me and asked me to read over the script,” said Lee. “He sounded almost as if he were producing this film. Of course, I was really excited to work with someone as great as Choi.”
Meanwhile, Hwang had to learn Chinese for his role as Jeong Cheong, who is a descendent of Chinese migrants who settled in Korea’s Jeolla provinces. 
“The role required me to speak in Chinese for a number of scenes,” Jeong said. “Learning Chinese was certainly more challenging than mastering the Jeolla accent.”
“New World” opens in local theaters on Feb. 21. 

January 21, 2013
3 actors to show off talent in 'Sinsegae'
By Rachel Lee The Korea Times
01-22-14-02.jpg
The casting of the three mega stars Choi Min-sik, Lee Jung-jae and Hwang Jung-min doesn’t happen often. But the three have come together for the first time for director Park Hoon-jeong’s second film.
Choi, Lee and Hwang are ready to show off their impeccable acting talent once again to viewers in their new film titled “Sinsegae,” which is to be released next month.
“I honestly didn’t expect to have such big names cast in my second work. I was extremely surprised when they accepted my offer,” said Park Wednesday at the press conference held in Apgujeong-dong, southern Seoul. The award-winning director is known for his first movie “Hyultu” (2010) and screenplays including “The Unjust” (2010) and “I Saw the Devil” (2010). 
“Sinsegae,” meaning “a new world” in English, is a story about fidelity and betrayal between two police detectives and the number two man of a local gang. Undercover police officer Ja-sung (Lee) infiltrates the gang “Gold Moon” to investigate them under the command of his superior Kang (Choi). After eight years, Ja-sung becomes the right-hand man to the ring’s second-in-command Jung Chung (Hwang), who holds the real power. 
“The film is basically about gangsters who engage in politics,” said Hwang at the press conference. The 42-year-old actor previously appeared in box office hits including “You Are My Sunshine” (2005), “A Bittersweet Life” (2005) and “Five Senses of Eros” (2009). 
“It felt like I was running a straight and easy road throughout the whole shooting period. It means it was considerably easier for me to understand the story itself since it’s about a man’s world,” added Hwang. 
Veteran actor Choi, who is best known for his critically acclaimed role in “Old Boy” (2003), described the film as one that “focuses on something very specific.” “I took this role as a police officer for the first time in over 20 years of my acting career and I am genuinely happy that it raised my social status in films as I took roles as brutal criminals many times,” said the 50-year-old star, recipient of several awards both at home and abroad. 
During the press conference, Choi showed special interest in the new film, saying that he was the one who decided to cast Lee as Ja-sung.
“I always wanted to work with Lee Jung-jae, not only because he is my junior in university but also I was so sure he is capable of playing perfectly the role as a young undercover police officer,” said Choi.
Asked how Lee felt when he got a phone call from Choi, Lee said he was “pretty shocked that Choi tried to cast me directly.” “I was in the middle of filming a movie at that time, but I was more than happy to accept his offer and start working with such a big senior. I am grateful to him indeed,” the 39-year-old actor added. 
The three actors told reporters their views about where they wish to be in the future. 
“For me, it’s theaters. Everything happens there and I spend most of my time there. So my new world, or the new world for directors and actors like me, will be theaters,” said Choi.
Hwang and Lee said they wish to continue their acting career as long as they can.
“Ultimately, what I want in my new world is to work with talented actors, actresses and the production crew for years to come,” said Lee.
“Sinsegae” is to be released on Feb. 21 in theaters nationwide. For more information about the movie, visit www.sinsegae2013.co.kr or call (02) 543-1917.

February 7, 2013
Three macho guys find a balance in Park Hoon-jung’s latest thriller
By Park Eun-jee Korea JoongAng Daily
2013020801000455300036291.jpg
Park Hoon-jung’s upcoming “A New World” (working English title) is the latest in a string of dark crime thrillers, this time presenting a modern day crime ring that operates like a big corporation. 
The film revolves around undercover police officer Ja-sung (Lee Jung-jae) who infiltrates Gold Moon, the biggest crime organization in Korea.
He poses as a loyal member in an attempt to investigate the group under the command of his superior Kang (Choi Min-sik). After eight years, Ja-sung becomes the right-hand man to the ring’s second-in-command, Jung Chung (Hwang Jung-min). 
When the mob boss dies and Gold Moon threatens to fall apart in a power struggle, Ja-sung is forced to confront demands from both bosses. Caught between Jung who trusts him with his life, and Kang, who thinks of him only as bait, Ja-sung feels torn apart.
As the crime thriller features three high-profile actors, the director said that his primary focus was to keep balance among them. 
Park has significant experience with this genre, having written the screenplays for dark thrillers “I Saw The Devil” (2010) and “The Unjust”(2010). He also directed “The Showdown”(2010). 
“The three actors are very energetic and have a strong presence. So I was a little worried about their interactions,” Park said. “But the three of them were very skilled at adjusting and creating a balance between them.” 
Lee Jung-jae, the youngest among the actors, expressed his own concerns about working with such talented colleagues. 
“When I heard that my co-stars would be Choi Min-sik and Hwang Jung-min, I thought my acting career could have been put in jeopardy,” he said. 
Choi, by now an expert at violent gangster movies, also touched upon his interactions with co-stars. But for him, there seemed to be too little rather than too much. 
“The two-hour running time was little short to portray all the complex characters and the tensions between them,” he said. “I think three or four hours might have been better.” 
He also said jokingly that he is fed up with the genre. 
“What I want is to live in a world without blood.” he said.
“A New World” is slated for release on Feb. 21.

Thanks for the 'New World' movie thread, good to see it. Reposting previous related articles from HJM/LJJ threads to share.. though really nothing much from what's already been posted here. Thanks again.
Btw.. thread link have been added to the directory, hope more new threads will be reported as well.

Guest jjsweeter0211

class="date-header" style="margin-top: 1.5em; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0.5em; margin-left: 0px; font: normal normal normal 78%/normal 'Trebuchet MS', Trebuchet, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif; line-height: 1.4em; text-transform: uppercase; letter-spacing: 0.2em; color: rgb(153, 153, 153); text-align: center; "FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 8, 2013

Song Ji Hyo Wears Philipp Plein To 'The New World' VIP Premiere

8454075660_393f866b9f_z.jpg

South Korean actress, Song Ji Hyo (송지효) attended the VIP premiere of 'The New World (신세계) held at COEX Megabox in Gangnam, South Korea on February 6, 2013.

The actress wore a white Philipp Plein lace dress with cut-out details and studs from Spring/Summer 2013 collection. Her look was accessorized with a pair of simple black pumps.

Song Ji Hyo (송지효) wore the dress in a more feminine and girly style as compared to the rock and edgy look on the runway. Lovely dress, shame about those boring pumps.
http://www.eiffelinseoul.com/2013/02/song-ji-hyo-wears-philipp-plein-to-new.html

Guest jjsweeter0211

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYUeSyZp0_0http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7RAtcefUIMhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_UGUCkqs_M

February 11, 2013
'New World' a well-made noir with superb acting
By Claire Lee The Korea Herald
08105334.jpg
Noted screenwriter Park Hoon-jung’s second feature film was finally unveiled to the press last week, featuring three heavyweight actors ― Choi Min-sik, Hwang Jeong-min and Lee Jung-jae ― in the lead.
What the film deals with is nothing new, at least in Korean cinema: a criminal organization, its gangsters and the cops who try to chase them down. However, Park, who is best known for his screenplays for Kim Ji-woon’s “I Saw the Devil” and Ryu Seung-wan’s “The Unjust,” managed to create a heartless and entertaining flick about power, greed and betrayal.
“New World” is, in Park’s own words, “a film about gangsters doing politics, in suits and ties.” While doing exactly that, Park skillfully blurs the boundary between the police and gangsters, as well as the good and the bad. The police headquarters abuse their low-ranking officers while trying to do the righteous thing ― arresting the criminals. Some of the gangsters, on the other hand, share genuine camaraderie with each other ― while committing all kinds of illegal deeds.
20130211000236_0.jpgA scene from director Park Hoon-jung’s upcoming film “New World” (NEW)
The thriller tells the story of police detective Ja-seong (Lee Jung-jae), who is assigned by his manipulative boss Kang (Choi Min-sik) to an undercover investigation into “Gold Moon” ― one of the biggest crime organizations in the country. 
Kang asks Ja-seong to spy on the gang’s second-in-command Jeong Cheong (Hwang Jeong-min), after finding out both Ja-seong and the gangster are ethnic Chinese, on top of sharing the same hometown of Yeosu, South Jeolla Province.
Ja-seong’s investigation goes on for eight years, and he eventually finds himself caught between Jeong, who calls him a “brother” and “trusts him with his life,” and his senior detective Park, who only uses him and never gives him the recognition he deserves. 
The film gets even more dramatic as the mob boss is suddenly killed in a car accident, and the group’s two opposing factions, one led by Jeong and the other by ruthless and vengeful member Lee (Park Seong-woong), vie for power. Detective Kang comes up with a cunning and dangerous plan to come between Jeong and Lee ― using Ja-seong’s trusted position in Jeong’s faction ― to break up the Gold Moon. Kang knows his project puts Ja-seong’s life at risk, but makes no plan to protect him if Ja-seong hits dire straits. 
Hwang Jeong-min (“The Unjust,” “You Are My Sunshine,”) is impressive as Jeong Cheong, who is arguably the most likable character in the film. The gangster is a lot of things ― he is an ethnic minority, a caring boss and a competent, thorough individual. During the press conference, Hwang said he only remembers “having fun” while playing Jeong, whom he described as a “chameleon.” 
“Jeong Cheong is really something,” he said. “He’s very versatile and has many different qualities and characteristics that make him unique.”
Respected veteran actor Choi Min-sik (“I Saw the Devil,” “Oldboy”) is also convincing as the manipulative villain, while Lee Jung-jae (“The Thieves,” “The Housemaid”) presents a credible portrayal of a victim who is conflicted between two different worlds, against his own will. 
“Ja-seong doesn’t really start nor do anything by his own will,” Lee said. “He just gets caught up in things. He is not allowed to show his emotions, while required to tell lies all the time. I somehow had to deliver his real emotions in spite of his difficult situation, and that was the biggest challenge while playing this character.”
Actor Park Seong-woong is also a presence in the film, as the charismatic, ruthless gangster who meets an unfortunate end. 
“New World” is an engaging noir with resounding acting and a highly entertaining narrative. Ultimately, it is a film about power and how it blinds those in authority, and those who strive for it. 
A New Entertainment World release, “New World” opens in local theaters on Feb. 21. 

Archived