Ideas: improving the forum quality and its activity

Guest knockblock

Guest knockblock

Apparently the forum activity has been declining for quite a while now. My purpose here is for us all to give our proposals to improve the activity and experience of the forums. We're going to see what ideas everyone has, and agree on which ones are good. We'll discuss everything we can/want.

The times have changed. Technology has become advanced (in fact, I explained about what those certain things are in another thread). Adapting to change is a way to taking steps. Find out what is within the realm of possibility. I think we could all pretty much agree the forum needs to have improvement. I hope this helps give ideas on bringing Soompi back the excitement it once had. I believe Soompi should do all it can to be the best place it can be.

Guest knockblock

Here are my proposals. Just to let you know, I have experience on other forums to get a sense of what can and can't be done. Anyway, these are the ideas I come up with.

1. Makeover of the forums

An overhaul of some sort. We have to start somewhere. Firstly, there are a lot of threads with way too many pages. I think they should be cleaned up. Make the place look and feel more fresh. There should be a wasteland section where threads people no longer care for go to. Especially threads that contain dozen of pages. Something I think forum members can discuss and decide on together. When a thread goes on for so many pages people are less compelled to post in them. Secondly, I think a thread should have a limit on how many pages it goes to. That way things don't overload and clog up chunks of forum space. Thirdly, there are threads that lead to too many pages that I think they could have an entire section by themselves (see below).

2. Topics should carry some measure or form of intelligence to them

People have posted threads that aggravate others which puts members off from the forums. I think the forum needs to discourage nonsense. Too many times people have gotten away with it. If a thread goes in such direction, a mod should see to it right away and lock it. Like if a thread gets very silly or turn things unintelligent, it needs to get made an example of. I also think people need to consider if what they are writing is important or relevant to others. Because there seems to be people who just post whatever they want knowing authority is weak. Also, if a post doesn't contribute to a thread then the person should not post it.

3. Post detailed answers to questions and claims

I believe this must be a rule to implement. For good reason, lists and one-liners do not contribute. What my thinking is is to make people put more effort. No more laziness from posters on the forums. I think listing and one-lining should be prohibited as doing these do not form discussion. When someone claims something they have to say why. For instance; someone says they like a something, the poster must explain and give a reason. You can post a list, but make sure to follow it up with explanation. Otherwise there isn't any detail. If a poster doesn't comply with this a moderator should remind them and take action on it if they fail to do so in a given amount of time. Certain sections require detail; most of the Kpop sections, health & fitness, food, tech, cars, sports, anime/manga & games, tv/movies & books, other music, general discussion, the real world (20+ ONLY). Those are the sections that need to have the rule.

4. Eliminate less active sections and form other sections more useful

There are sections that could be eliminated. Due to the little activity they get. This is also something that members of the forums can make a decision by agreeing on. Then there are sections I think can be made because they'll have more visits. The general discussion section should make sure (with monitoring of the mods) that topics and posts within them form discussion (see number 3). No more "What are you doing?" type of threads or other kind of threads that cause repetitiveness, and posts that don't further discussion. If they don't form discussion, they shouldn't be there. Some of the threads that people have kept doing in the past, they could have a dedicated section of their own. I think a language section should be made. All things language related goes in there. In the older Soompi years there was a 'have a bad day?' section. I would make a section in that vein except with a twist. It would be 'how was your day?', for lack of a better title. In this section people can post if they are happy, angry, sad, or whatever feeling they want to express. Bring back 'philosophy and religion' that the old soompi used to have. The forum would be exciting again with a section that challenges people's mind. I haven't thought of more but these are the sections I thought of.

5. Stronger moderating

Moderators are lacking. The mods don't seem to be doing their job as much anymore. It needs to change. This isn't meant to be a swipe at the moderators, don't mistaken me for taking a jab at anyone in particular. I just think the moderating could improve and the way mods perform their duty. I also believe they need to be strict like in the past. Don't allow people to get away with stuff that they have been able to for a while now. One thing moderators should do is when they lock a thread, give an explanation why they are locking the thread. Tell forum posters so that people can learn from it and that similar things don't follow. Something that has been weak in recent times. Another thing is, mods need to view what is unacceptable on the forums. For instance, behavior that is causing irritation or trying to get a rise out of posters. The mods should also do more to make sure posters don't beat around the rules that are in place. Because people have gotten around with certain rule more than one might think. If there is anything else I think we should do with the moderating, it would be to have at least 3 moderators in each of the sections. Having one or two isn't enough for tight patrol IMO. Most of all, I want to see moderators who are committed to having the forums run well. Those who have it in them to do anything it takes.

Now there you have it. Go ahead and tell me what you think of them. Those are what I decided to get out. I'll think up of more.

In addition to improving the forum so it gains more activity, I urge Soompi to try to bring members who have been inactive back. Everyone who was a part of the Soompi forums past and present. The Soompi staff have stated before that they value their forums members. They would be living up to what they said if they can bring back older members along with an improved forum. Do that, and I can bet good things will come of it.

Archived