[Drama 2013] Jang Ok Jung 장옥정, 사랑에 살다

jerebtang

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest uburoi

I'm guessing the man who "kidnaps" Ok Jung is Jae Hee's character. Perhaps he's trying to sabotage the uncle's plan...

I don't know why but to me, Hong Soo Hyun wouldn't fit in Ok Jung's role. At least not in this version because here Ok Jung is a sweet woman with lots of dreams and hopes and it is what drives her not ambition or things that turn her into the bad guy she is in history books. In couldn't go past the fisrt episode of The Princess'Man because of my allergies to Park Shi Hoo and my lack of interest for Moon Chae Won, so I can't tell about her in this particuliar drama. I did watch and enjoy History of a Salaryman and think she is a solid actress. I do not agree with the people who say that they do not see any improvement in Kim Tae Hee's performance as Ok Jung. I would rather say she can't do deep acting. I see her emotions because she says the lines, she makes the right face but doesn't carry the aura the scene requires, exepted some scenes that I will summarize here:

1- Ok Jung brings the hanbok to one of her customer Lady (Dong Pyung's fiancee) and gets appointed for body measurement on the man she is going to marry. She leaves the woman and hears the maids wonder if she's not worried about Ok Jung seducing the fiance and the woman responds that she doesn't have anything to seduce himm since she's even human. The look of consternation, sadness and resignation on Kim Tae Hee's face was quite believable to me. She must have been so used to hearing that over the years, yet she can't blame them all because it is Joseon's customs that make it that way. Her only reaction is a pause, she stops breathing, looks down, and then looks up because she can't do anything about the fact that she is a salve, at least not in Joseon.

2- Ok Jung confronts her Uncle after she learns from her mother's owner that he had been bribing her so that she can't buy her mother's freedom. He ends up telling her about his revenge plan and asks her help but she refuses. I think Kim Tae Hee is at ease with the actor playing Uncle Jang. He's a veteran actor (Kyu Won's dad lol) and yet she did not get swallowed under the intensity of his acting and it does mean something! She portrayed her mistrust in him, the fact that she has complied with his crap for years when she knows that he isn't that nice to start with. At first she was just trying to resonate with him but when he told her what he had in mind she was just frightened. I liked the exchange for my part.

3-Ok Jung needs to meet with the person who will advance Uncle Jang's position in order to get a loan from him. The meet at a Gisaeng House and Ok Jung is akward at first but soon understands what lied under the man's surface and his words, and tells him they cannot work since he doesn't please her. I think a lot of people forget that in Joseon, talking badly to a high ranked official or even a man was trouble. I liked her change of expressons and the restrained way she had to tell him to richard simmons of!

4-Ok Jung and Soon are exchanging life hopes and dreams when the tone changes and he engages in a D&M. She was pleased at fisrt for someone to ask her what was her view of life but Kim Tae Hee managed to translate very well the look of lost but concern when he started talking about his upcoming arranged marriage.

Is all! I'll come with others when I'm done rewatching all 4 episode for the fifth time xD

About the preview: All I have to say is that I think Ok Jung won't be so innocent in politics anymore. When she says that she will enter the Palace she seems to be well aware of what it does imply...

And I think Lee Soon is feeling bad for In Kyung when he realizes that she's serious about liking him. It is a pity that In Kyung is such a sweet person since meeting her destined man only led her to unhappiness. I do wonder if they will go by history and make them have babies (wich means hanky panky  ). I would hate for the story to take the "pure love without any human rational thoughts" turn, since it was never what the story told us in the previous episodes ...
;)

Guest kimbee

Thanks tons to @Jillia and @NEWMARIO for Preview Ep 5... and i have watched it, even just a short... but make me hurt to watch it.... it seems i have to prepare myself for tonight...first of all don't forget to prepare tissue before live stream JOJ begin tonight.......i think we will dance with tearshun.giflet me give some screencaps gif before JOJ airing...

more pain... more tears.... more intrigue to make OJ give her dream up... Keep it Staying, OJ...!!! 1188059332334.gif

http://sphotos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/305873_116413918557267_1573197059_n.jpg

http://sphotos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/64155_116414595223866_1925534451_n.jpg

Guest kimbee

LS trying to be wise and showing his happiness.... but unfortunately he could not mask his sadness of his eyes... although with a smile....  Looks trouble!!! hope.gif
. http://sphotos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/408583_116409098557749_1651895403_n.jpg
http://sphotos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/387213_116417525223573_1246566876_n.jpg

Guest kimbee

i'm agree with you @uburoi, when i watch to his gesture,  body, hair, and his hand... i think the kidnapper was CS for real.... just my guessing,  1188059832923.gif

http://sphotos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/524636_116419838556675_2035029851_n.jpg

i'm even sadder because in Preview i haven't seen our SoonJeong together... miss 'em, tears.gif

@Jillia

This is what I was talking about, the daughters that didn't live. They could change this aspect of history as well as Soon's age for example, for the sake of preserving some sympathy for the male character xD
I have watched Dong Yi and even though Sukjong was some clueless weakling there, I couldn't help but loathe him in the end. Part of me can't shake the feeling that he probably was either a very cruel and manipulative man, or at least a very big richard simmons.

Omg... No... So much sadness already. I am not cut out to watch these types of dramas live while they are airing. But the curiosity always kills the cat, me being the cat. I can't help it, I can't wait until it finishes airing.

I had to give myself some relief and watch some of my other favorite sageuks. But not dong yi... Lol. I have about 10 tissue boxes. I am ready, but I am really really hoping its not going to be ridiculously painful for the rest of the series a la TPM. So no OTP for awhile but if they don't give me that, they at least have to give us CS-OJ and DP-OJ scenes. Please drama!!! Let LS be sad with all his high nobility women. But at least let OJ have some relief from the constant beat down of the lowly life that she was born into.

What would be funny twist is if OJ wants to seduce the future king but then when she finds out that it's LS and decides not that she doesn't want to just cause it's him (and he has a heartbreaker streak). And then the fine & flirty LS is gonna have to up his game in order to win her over. LS has many women pining over him, at least give him a challenge in the love department. Back to my thought that love takes work, even for a king. :)

Exiting my dream world... Back to reality... I have the tissues on hand. Poor Ok Jung... Her poor mother. Life is so unfair.

Guest kimbee

i love your insight about the OTP @junkietiger14,
let's make LS' heart churn and jealous because of there are many men beside OJ, who can give everything for OJ... and at the end LS will be more obsessed to OJ...... lovey dovey!!! dance_moves.gif

I like this drama because they make IH not evil, and IK with such genuine feeling towards LS. I can easily sympathize with her and think she deserves some love too, so i wouldn't mind if they have babies. It's a wonder how the writer arrived to convince me lol in the end, i just hope they show LS has a heart too.
Maybe like some said, the mysterious guy might be CS who comes to rescue. But again why that method?

@Jillia, @smvd: The way I assess the characters of the central heroes is that I see them strictly in the context of this drama, I try not to compare them with other renditions or put too much weight on their "real" traits that are known from historical sources. The truth is that if you told me few months ago that I would be drooling and psyching myself over a drama about a king with a harem of numerous wives and concubines I would call you crazy 8-} , however, the story is simply told in such an engaging and refreshing way full of emotions and unforgettable characters that I can't help myself. 
About LS being clueless or careless douchebag - He is stripped of choice, even contemplating the possibility of a love match would be delusional and a match with a woman of slave origins sheer madness. So he's basically down to 2 options - either he's going to do as he is told, becoming a puppet in the hand of his future father-in-law or he's going to fight back for his rights and to gain authority over his subjects. Love has never been part of the equation, LS can't afford it nor has any way of obtaining it, not in this status quo, unless he changes the status quo. I think I know where this is going - His father'd rather given up the woman he loved because he couldn't protect her and therefore never got himself a concubine. LS will probaly go the opposite way - he will use the concubine system so he can get the queen he deserves. Isn't that how you use the weapons that were given to you.
About IK - I don't think she is a complete victim in this. Her father would have never decided to go against Minister Min if she didn't tell him she wanted to be a queen, despite the fact that she heard the whole truth about LS wanting to marry her. She got into this loveless marriage herself. I wouldn't call her clueless because she had all the relevant facts making her impulsive decision but painfully naive. I mean, a daughter of the 2nd most powerful minister believing to marry a man who will pick up her handkerchief and fall in love with her at first sight 8-| . Minister Kang doesn't look like the type that would encourage these ideas in her. To get to the end - she is naive and innocent but definitely not clueless, however, it's excatly these people that fall first. This is the 17th century and you won't win just on girlish fantasies about love.

Love is really blind. IK is so naive that i don't have heart to blame her or anything. I can see all she wants is to be with the man of her dream, nothing to do with politic. i doubt she even thinks about if he really likes her back, i bet she's just too happy now to see anything clear. it's the thing when you know what's going to happen to those characters and you can't help but feel bad and pity for them *sighs*Here hoping JOJ would have a clear consciousness of what she's getting into. At this point she doesn't know LS is crown prince, so her decision to enter the palace practically means giving up her happiness to marry someone she loves, and also her dream to become best dressmaker. I can't say her feeling for LS is even that deep yet, but after entering the palace she knows she won't have any choice.

@briseis

I disagree! :D

About Lee Soon, yes dreaming of a slave-born woman becoming his Queen would be crazy but taking her in at last was still craziness, if you aks me! He knew very that everyone in the Palace would be trying to eat these concubines alive but still made his desire for these women a reason for hundreds of executions and made these women who he pretented to love, the target of all jealousy and conspiracy. I think he was well aware of all the dangers he was pushing Jang and Choi through but decide to bypass the laws and customs not even for love but first and foremost because choosing a concubine that didn't go by the faction in place at that time was a way of having the upper hand. To me, love or not, he used these persons as tools for his power play...

About In Kyung, her only mistake here is being in love with the Prince. I don't know if it is only my own interpretation of things but to me In Kyung is a very definite character. She is a very weak girl, physically speaking. She is ill, is very tiny and has a very sweet personality and her father seems to be very caring of her, if you ask me. The simple fact that he knew she must have been dying from nervousness whe the selection took place and that he was willing to make her not attend means that he wasn't even ready to push his daughter into some unfair contest where the loosers would be unable to marry for the rest of their lives. He wasn't quite eager to accept Soon's proposition until his daughter showed up and declared that she wanted to do it out of love. I think In Kyung and In Hyun are put in contrast of each other here.
Therefore I would define her as a victim but I cannot really say that she was fully aware of what she was going for. She did know that Lee Soon wasn't in love with her because well, it couldn't be real, but merely ceased the chance she had to spend her life with her dream man. About the fact that she still dreams about someone who would pick her hanky from the floor, I'm putting it on the fact that she musn't have had a single contact with the opposite sex at all and it's not surprising since it was Joseon.

JoJ Fighting (I love Mondays! xD) :)

Archived