K-POP STAR SEASON 2 AUDITIONS

Guest wynniebear

Guest Min-Jung1999

beguileiota said: I got a phone call yesterday too! Basically they called me to confirm that I was going to the audition (because I didn't reply to the invitation email that I would be attending). So that's why they called me.
I don't think there's an online audition if you're from America, so nope you don't have to send in any more applications. They were probably calling to ask you if you were going to go to the audition. 

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Celestra

I'm not familiar with k-pop star at all, so hopefully someone can enlighten me about this, lol. k-pop star seems more like a singing competition? I don't really watch the show so I dunno, haha. but under eligibility, it says that "anyone who can sing, dance, or has other talents or star quality." What does it mean by other talents? like, can I bring my saxophone there and play, instead of singing/dancing? loool.

Thanks in advance! :D

Guest zhiyong

Hey guys. I just made a soompi just to join the thread. Im a bit worried that they won't entertain my application because my laptop had to change the format of the .doc file into an .odt file. So worried if they haven't sent me a confirmation reply yet due to this. I need to know if anyone has gotten the confirmation letter when sending a differently formatted application,like I did. Also, so annoyed that it just had to be held on the 22nd in London...=_=. I will just be admitted to my Uni in Wales, Aberystwyth on the 21st so it's a bit clashy. GAH.  Here's my video 

Thanks everyone. :)

Guest notyournoona

Hey you guys, so I want to go to the NY audition, right? But thing is, our car's a piece of richard simmons, and we can't afford a plane ticket. Anybody willing to carpool? Please reply.

Guest michiko~

i have a couple questions if anyone's willing to answer ^^
on the overseas application form where it says youtube or video link, do we have to fill that in, or can we leave it blank?
and by korean fluency, if you can say a few basic phrases, would you still tick 'poor'?
oh! and also, what does it mean by family? like how many brothers and sisters you have? ^^"
thanks guys! :3

8->

Guest michiko~

Celestra said: I'm not familiar with k-pop star at all, so hopefully someone can enlighten me about this, lol. k-pop star seems more like a singing competition? I don't really watch the show so I dunno, haha. but under eligibility, it says that "anyone who can sing, dance, or has other talents or star quality." What does it mean by other talents? like, can I bring my saxophone there and play, instead of singing/dancing? loool.

Thanks in advance! :D

michiko~ said: i have a couple questions if anyone's willing to answer ^^
on the overseas application form where it says youtube or video link, do we have to fill that in, or can we leave it blank?
and by korean fluency, if you can say a few basic phrases, would you still tick 'poor'?
oh! and also, what does it mean by family? like how many brothers and sisters you have? ^^"
thanks guys! :3

8->

Guest verygood

Hi, can anyone please give me the new York location? I'm pretty much a last minute person and I've submitted my application yesterday because the site says I can submit it until yesterday. Today's the audition and I still don't know where I'm going.

Guest michiko~

so have sydney people already got their confirmations?
i sent mine but they haven't replied yet..
can you still go if they don't? ^^"
but it doesn't say anywhere on the site what time to be there :s

Guest starzXshinee

For those who went to the New York audition, was it crowded?
And for those who applied for last season, did you get an invitation e-mail for this season?
I got in invitation to the audition one or two months ago but yesterday I decided to apply. Two minutes later I got what I thought was a confirmation e-mail. "Congrats blah blah blah". The content of the e-mail then just talked a but the time, place, and procedures if you are under 18. But that was it.Today I got a phone call from K-Pop Star saying that I had to confirm that I was going. And after that, I got an e-mail saying that I was confirmed to attend the auditions.
My theory is that if the were able to reply to my e-mail so quickly and even bother to call me, they must have a lot of time on their hands which gives me the conclusion that there will not be a lot of people at the audition. But the second e-mail I got never said anything about confirming to go, so how are other people supposed to know??

Guest PrinceOfTennis559

No one has any stories to share? D:
I guess I'll share mine.

So my friend (Peter) and I attended the LA audition today, and we were SOOOOOO unprepared. I didn't print out my application, and Peter didn't fill his out yet, so we went to the public library to finish our applications and print them out. We arrived at the site around 12:00PM and registered. (The earliest was 8:00AM, but that was way too early.) We saw that they had "on-site" registration forms, too, so we didn't have to drive all the way to the library and back. We could have just done it there.

Anyhoo, if you didn't attach a photo to your application, they will ask you to bring out an ID as a profile picture. After that, they give you your number, and you wait for your number to be called. Peter and I were C-077 and C-076, respectively, and we waited for our turn. They split the auditions into three different groups. Group A. Group B. Group C. We met some cool people while we waited. (WHAT'S UP, JODY AND MINJY!? I think I spelled you're name right. Hahahaha!)

Finally... After 3 hours of waiting, we went to the audition rooms. They made us wait outside the audition room and brought us in 4 at a time. While we waited, we saw people coming out with papers from Group A, and apparently, a lot of them made it! We cheered them on, and they did an interview with the people who passed. We asked one of the staff members how many people have made it so far, and he said, "About 20..." (The whole thing started at 8AM and it was 3PM, and so far, only 20 people made it. Crazy.) He also said that one of them was a black girl with red curls who was really good. BUT! This was one of the two rounds that they had to do before getting accepted to go on TV. They still had one more round to go, but on a different day.

When it was our turn to audition, I was second and my friend was third to audition. I went in thinking, "Oh, they're just going to hear us sing and then let us go afterwards," but nope! You had to introduce yourself before you auditioned. So... Yeah... The first to audition was this girl. She told us that she was half-British and half-Korean and she started singing a song from Napoleon Dynamite where he was doing sign-language to a song. Don't know what it was called, but yeah... It was definitely that song. They told her to stop, and they CRITICIZED HER. I looked at Peter, and I was like, "Oh, shiet. I didn't know they were going to do this!" They told her that she needed to work on her upper register and that her pitch was shaky. They were very stern when saying this. They told her that she was not what they were looking for in the competition and thanked her for coming.

When she left, it was my turned... I stepped on to the picture with the shoe prints, and they asked me to wait... This is what happened next...

PA (Production Assistant): Please wait a few minutes before starting.
Me: Okay. -looks at Peter and starts doing the horse riding dance from Oppa Gangnam Style-
Producer: -speaks in Korean-
Peter: He said he doesn't like Psy. Hahaha. He's on a rival network show.
Me: Oh! Hahahahaha! -form an "x" with two arms-
Producer: I joke! -laughs and motions me to start introducing myself and sing-
(I started off great, but forgot the lyrics towards the end. The song was "
그 아픔까지 사랑한거야"
originally sung by
조정현, but I did JaeJoong's version when he auditioned for SM.)
Producer: Gaseum... Ah- Ah-
Me: What? (I had a confused look.) OH!
(He helped me finish the rest of the song.)

When I started singing, I automatically got their attention. The guy producer started mouthing the words, too. I was so nervous because there was a bright light and camera staring at me, and I was doing so well until towards the end!!! GAH. I paused and then the producer helped me out. I finished my song. I was ready for them to just tear into me with their harsh words, but they said some pretty nice things to me. The PA translated what they were saying and told me that I had a nice voice and that I should try working on developing a better falsetto because it was weak. They thanked me for coming to the auditions, but they said I wasn't ready for it. I bowed, told them thank you, left, and then it was my friends turn. (I didn't get to see his audition, but this was how it turned out.)

My friend Peter is Korean and knows how to speak, read, and write it. Before auditioning, he was debating whether or not he should sing or rap because he is a really good rapper, but he knows that the show was a singing competition. He decided to rap anyways. So, he started to rap an original that he wrote and it got the producers chuckling because there was a line where it said "I want to rhyme faster, but my tongue gets tied up" or something along those lines. They liked his flow and said that his rapping was really good. (They caught a little bit of his American accent, too. They were that good at finding his mistakes.) Afterwards, they asked him to sing a song. He was not ready, but he did it anyways. He sang and he told me he choked a little bit. (This was his first time auditioning, and he didn't expect them to ask him to sing.) He was nervous, and in the end, they told him that he had a good voice, too, but that he needed to work on his breathing.

When he came out, he told me all of this, and I was really happy for him because he is 22 (24 in Korean years) and it was his first time doing this! So proud of him! He really enjoyed the experience because of the constructive feedback they gave us.

When we were leaving, he saw that I was a little upset and he told me something about the judges. Apparently, before I started, they were not expecting anything good from me at all since I wasn't Korean, but when I busted out a Korean song, the lady judge looked at me and was happy. (When I was auditioning, I stared at the camera, glanced at the guy judge, and closed my eyes most of the time, so I didn't really know what was going on.) Peter also told me that the guy said that I had a charming voice, not just a good voice, but a CHARMING one. (It made me happier. XD) Peter went on to say that when it came to pronunciation, I was fluent. I had a little accent here and there, but they could understand what I was singing. He said that they were most likely happy that I put in the effort to learn an old Korean song. It showed them that I knew songs other than idol songs.

Peter and I decided that we are going to audition next year because the experience was REALLY fun and different. I've been to one SM audition and one American Idol audition, but my audition for SBS KPop Star 2 will always be the best and memorable experience for me! We really had fun! Even though we didn't make it, we made a pact that we would become better singers and audition again next year. My goal is to learn more Korean and to work on my vocals, and Peter's goal is to improve on his singing since he knows Korean already. But yeah... It was really great to do this!

If you are hesitating, just try it. It's a really good learning experience and it is best to go with a friend, so you can go through this together! :3

Good luck to anybody else who is auditioning for the show!

PrinceOfTennis559 said: No one has any stories to share? D:
I guess I'll share mine.

So my friend (Peter) and I attended the LA audition today, and we were SOOOOOO unprepared. I didn't print out my application, and Peter didn't fill his out yet, so we went to the public library to finish our applications and print them out. We arrived at the site around 12:00PM and registered. (The earliest was 8:00AM, but that was way too early.) We saw that they had "on-site" registration forms, too, so we didn't have to drive all the way to the library and back. We could have just done it there.

Anyhoo, if you didn't attach a photo to your application, they will ask you to bring out an ID as a profile picture. After that, they give you your number, and you wait for your number to be called. Peter and I were C-077 and C-076, respectively, and we waited for our turn. They split the auditions into three different groups. Group A. Group B. Group C. We met some cool people while we waited. (WHAT'S UP, JODY AND MINJY!? I think I spelled you're name right. Hahahaha!)

Finally... After 3 hours of waiting, we went to the audition rooms. They made us wait outside the audition room and brought us in 4 at a time. While we waited, we saw people coming out with papers from Group A, and apparently, a lot of them made it! We cheered them on, and they did an interview with the people who passed. We asked one of the staff members how many people have made it so far, and he said, "About 20..." (The whole thing started at 8AM and it was 3PM, and so far, only 20 people made it. Crazy.) He also said that one of them was a black girl with red curls who was really good. BUT! This was one of the two rounds that they had to do before getting accepted to go on TV. They still had one more round to go, but on a different day.

When it was our turn to audition, I was second and my friend was third to audition. I went in thinking, "Oh, they're just going to hear us sing and then let us go afterwards," but nope! You had to introduce yourself before you auditioned. So... Yeah... The first to audition was this girl. She told us that she was half-British and half-Korean and she started singing a song from Napoleon Dynamite where he was doing sign-language to a song. Don't know what it was called, but yeah... It was definitely that song. They told her to stop, and they CRITICIZED HER. I looked at Peter, and I was like, "Oh, shiet. I didn't know they were going to do this!" They told her that she needed to work on her upper register and that her pitch was shaky. They were very stern when saying this. They told her that she was not what they were looking for in the competition and thanked her for coming.

When she left, it was my turned... I stepped on to the picture with the shoe prints, and they asked me to wait... This is what happened next...

PA (Production Assistant): Please wait a few minutes before starting.
Me: Okay. -looks at Peter and starts doing the horse riding dance from Oppa Gangnam Style-
Producer: -speaks in Korean-
Peter: He said he doesn't like Psy. Hahaha. He's on a rival network show.
Me: Oh! Hahahahaha! -form an "x" with two arms-
Producer: I joke! -laughs and motions me to start introducing myself and sing-
(I started off great, but forgot the lyrics towards the end. The song was "
그 아픔까지 사랑한거야"
originally sung by
조정현, but I did JaeJoong's version when he auditioned for SM.)
Producer: Gaseum... Ah- Ah-
Me: What? (I had a confused look.) OH!
(He helped me finish the rest of the song.)

When I started singing, I automatically got their attention. The guy producer started mouthing the words, too. I was so nervous because there was a bright light and camera staring at me, and I was doing so well until towards the end!!! GAH. I paused and then the producer helped me out. I finished my song. I was ready for them to just tear into me with their harsh words, but they said some pretty nice things to me. The PA translated what they were saying and told me that I had a nice voice and that I should try working on developing a better falsetto because it was weak. They thanked me for coming to the auditions, but they said I wasn't ready for it. I bowed, told them thank you, left, and then it was my friends turn. (I didn't get to see his audition, but this was how it turned out.)

My friend Peter is Korean and knows how to speak, read, and write it. Before auditioning, he was debating whether or not he should sing or rap because he is a really good rapper, but he knows that the show was a singing competition. He decided to rap anyways. So, he started to rap an original that he wrote and it got the producers chuckling because there was a line where it said "I want to rhyme faster, but my tongue gets tied up" or something along those lines. They liked his flow and said that his rapping was really good. (They caught a little bit of his American accent, too. They were that good at finding his mistakes.) Afterwards, they asked him to sing a song. He was not ready, but he did it anyways. He sang and he told me he choked a little bit. (This was his first time auditioning, and he didn't expect them to ask him to sing.) He was nervous, and in the end, they told him that he had a good voice, too, but that he needed to work on his breathing.

When he came out, he told me all of this, and I was really happy for him because he is 22 (24 in Korean years) and it was his first time doing this! So proud of him! He really enjoyed the experience because of the constructive feedback they gave us.

When we were leaving, he saw that I was a little upset and he told me something about the judges. Apparently, before I started, they were not expecting anything good from me at all since I wasn't Korean, but when I busted out a Korean song, the lady judge looked at me and was happy. (When I was auditioning, I stared at the camera, glanced at the guy judge, and closed my eyes most of the time, so I didn't really know what was going on.) Peter also told me that the guy said that I had a charming voice, not just a good voice, but a CHARMING one. (It made me happier. XD) Peter went on to say that when it came to pronunciation, I was fluent. I had a little accent here and there, but they could understand what I was singing. He said that they were most likely happy that I put in the effort to learn an old Korean song. It showed them that I knew songs other than idol songs.

Peter and I decided that we are going to audition next year because the experience was REALLY fun and different. I've been to one SM audition and one American Idol audition, but my audition for SBS KPop Star 2 will always be the best and memorable experience for me! We really had fun! Even though we didn't make it, we made a pact that we would become better singers and audition again next year. My goal is to learn more Korean and to work on my vocals, and Peter's goal is to improve on his singing since he knows Korean already. But yeah... It was really great to do this!

If you are hesitating, just try it. It's a really good learning experience and it is best to go with a friend, so you can go through this together! :3

Good luck to anybody else who is auditioning for the show!

I went to LA audition today as well.

It might be a bit late to give this advice to anyone... but they are looking for a pop voice who can sing top American hits. (Or that was the impression they gave me.) So rehearse plenty of songs! Have multiple songs in your arsenal in case they ask you to sing a different genre and be prepared!

In my group, the girl before me who sang received absolutely no attention from the judges; they looked bored out of their minds.
I felt so bad for her. :( she was really cute.

Anyways so it was my turn to sing and I sang 
나는 어떡하라고, Ailee's version. ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPuocMeEuRg I sang the part from 2:16 - 2:40ish. Including that run)

SO ANYWAYS. After that, they talked to eachother back and forth then asked if I could sing a song that's on American radio that's a top hit at the moment. Being put on the spot like that is not fun, lol. Plus I only rehearsed two korean songs so I couldn't think at the moment what to sing that's an American top hit so I asked if I could sing a B2st song instead since that's on the radio in Korea and they were like Sure!
So I sang B2st, then they whispered back and forth again then they translator told me, "they said you were really good but they are looking for something else... but please come back again next year!"

IN CONCLUSION, I think they are looking for a pop voice they can produce and probably into the American market, not ballad voice (which I have) since last season was all ballad singers.

Was overall fun experience. Besides the 110 degree weather in a school with no AC. 

edit: Room C sucked btw. Everyone who passed was from room A LOL

Guest PrinceOfTennis559

Lust said: I went to LA audition today as well.

It might be a bit late to give this advice to anyone... but they are looking for a pop voice who can sing top American hits. (Or that was the impression they gave me.) So rehearse plenty of songs! Have multiple songs in your arsenal in case they ask you to sing a different genre and be prepared!

In my group, the girl before me who sang received absolutely no attention from the judges; they looked bored out of their minds.
I felt so bad for her. :( she was really cute.

Anyways so it was my turn to sing and I sang 
나는 어떡하라고, Ailee's version. ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPuocMeEuRg I sang the part from 2:16 - 2:40ish. Including that run)

SO ANYWAYS. After that, they talked to eachother back and forth then asked if I could sing a song that's on American radio that's a top hit at the moment. Being put on the spot like that is not fun, lol. Plus I only rehearsed two korean songs so I couldn't think at the moment what to sing that's an American top hit so I asked if I could sing a B2st song instead since that's on the radio in Korea and they were like Sure!
So I sang B2st, then they whispered back and forth again then they translator told me, "they said you were really good but they are looking for something else... but please come back again next year!"

IN CONCLUSION, I think they are looking for a pop voice they can produce and probably into the American market, not ballad voice (which I have) since last season was all ballad singers.

Was overall fun experience. Besides the 110 degree weather in a school with no AC. 

edit: Room C sucked btw. Everyone who passed was from room A LOL

@Princeoftennis559 : Sure hahaha. I'll record it tomorrow since it's late now and everyone's sleeping. Yeah I was in room C and no I'm not korean. Darn those people in room A.. lucky betches.

@Star1987 : don't be nervous! It shows a LOT when you are nervous.... if possible, sing in front of a group before you go audition. it helps calm your nerves! 

Archived