K-POP STAR SEASON 2 AUDITIONS

Guest wynniebear

Lust said: I went to LA audition today as well.

It might be a bit late to give this advice to anyone... but they are looking for a pop voice who can sing top American hits. (Or that was the impression they gave me.) So rehearse plenty of songs! Have multiple songs in your arsenal in case they ask you to sing a different genre and be prepared!

In my group, the girl before me who sang received absolutely no attention from the judges; they looked bored out of their minds.
I felt so bad for her. :( she was really cute.

Anyways so it was my turn to sing and I sang 
나는 어떡하라고, Ailee's version. ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPuocMeEuRg I sang the part from 2:16 - 2:40ish. Including that run)

SO ANYWAYS. After that, they talked to eachother back and forth then asked if I could sing a song that's on American radio that's a top hit at the moment. Being put on the spot like that is not fun, lol. Plus I only rehearsed two korean songs so I couldn't think at the moment what to sing that's an American top hit so I asked if I could sing a B2st song instead since that's on the radio in Korea and they were like Sure!
So I sang B2st, then they whispered back and forth again then they translator told me, "they said you were really good but they are looking for something else... but please come back again next year!"

IN CONCLUSION, I think they are looking for a pop voice they can produce and probably into the American market, not ballad voice (which I have) since last season was all ballad singers.

Was overall fun experience. Besides the 110 degree weather in a school with no AC. 

edit: Room C sucked btw. Everyone who passed was from room A LOL

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest PrinceOfTennis559

Lust said: @Princeoftennis559 : Sure hahaha. I'll record it tomorrow since it's late now and everyone's sleeping. Yeah I was in room C and no I'm not korean. Darn those people in room A.. lucky betches.

^ @Princeoftennis559 : I'm not a guuuurrrlll hahaha. If you remember, when you were sitting outside room C, I was in the group that went before you. The guy with the dress shirt and tie hahaha. Also I am lagging on the recording because of work. c: My bad ;;

@Wongene : that's what I was thinking too but kpop will never make it in America, sorry kolea. 

Guest PrinceOfTennis559

Lust said: ^ @Princeoftennis559 : I'm not a guuuurrrlll hahaha. If you remember, when you were sitting outside room C, I was in the group that went before you. The guy with the dress shirt and tie hahaha. Also I am lagging on the recording because of work. c: My bad ;;

Guest mamaw101

So imma share my experience in the Vancouver auditions... To start, I didn't get in... Not entirely in the mood for the thrill lol... The Vancouver audition was to start at 9:00 so I and my two friends (one was gonna audition and the other wasn't) decided to go in a bit later cuz we didnt want to go in too early. Despite of the intricate planning when to take the bus (I live a city away so the trip would take about an hour to get there) we still arrived early. When we go there before 9am, we saw around 50 people lining up already. We saw staffs giving out posters with the kpopstar logo and a canadian flag at the back. Apparently, they filmed the lining up part. So they asked us to scream as loud as we can as the camera comes down the line. So we did, and this took around a good 15 mins (lol i guess they wanted us to lose our voices even before we go in). A camera man was passing by looking for people to scream "kpopstar fighting!" and he happened to ask us if we wanted to be in the camera, cause apparently my friend was keeping an eye contact for him to come! So we did it... lol at this point I hope to see myself on the broadcast date!! After a few moments we already went in...
Inside the building, just outside the theatre we all signed in filling up consent forms and stuff then we sat in the "sitting room" which happens to be the theatre. While waiting for everyone to get signed up, they were playing kpop videos on the screen! HAZZUH!! There was a bit of deliberation and they showed the clips of last year's top ten. In the deliberation they explained that there were two rounds happening that day: if you pass the 1st round, they will ask you to come back at 5pm for round 2. When you pass round 2, they will send you to Korea to be judged by either BoA, YG or JYP themselves. After deliberation, they asked us again to do loud cheers for the camera (it was a bad way to warm up for an audition lol)! Then, people were called in groups to be led to the rooms where the auditions will take place. There were three rooms with judges from the the top three companies. While waiting for our turn people in the sitting room were practicing. So you'll get a chance to see who you're competing against and get yourself warmed up as well.
My friend's number was 17 and I was 18, luckily we went in together. We were led to a mini hallway where people also waiting for their turn in their respective rooms. I move around a lot to shake away the nerves! So I was touching my chest to feel my heart, when a camera man came near me and started film me! lol i hope I get screen time! So yea my friend went in first and unfortunately she didn't pass, then came my turn...
Walked in the room and stopped to greet them smiles and all...Handed my form to the guy judge. Then stepped onto the marker. They said to introduce myself...Me: Annyeonghasaeyo! Jeoneun ee ship sal (real name) ip ni dathe lady judge nodded and the translated said "show us your presentation".... i thought i heard her ask me to say what i was gonna perform...Me: I'm doing sarang sarang a by davichiGuy Judge: You can startThen I sang messed up a few words... then ended the way I wanted to... i couldnt go for the high notes so i did them in strong falsettos...They asked me if I prepared another song for them then I said yes... Started to sing Celine Dion's Because you love me...Then the guy gave his comments to the translator.Translator : You have a good voice, but your tune is different (i guess i played with the tune so much that i lost the right tune plus i didnt practice the 2nd song at all haha). You need to practice more to pursue professional singing!Then the guy said sorry... so I bowed and walk away with a smile on my face!
Final thoughts : Even though I didn't get through, I'm very satisfied I tried out. Hearing that my voice is good from a professional makes me happy considering this is my first time auditioning for anything! I will definitely try again next year, and give them a mind-blowing audition!! :)
THANK YOU KPOP STAR FOR MY NEW FOUND CONFIDENCE!! ^^

Guest xxsarahhoangerz

^ LOL HI.

I originally didn't plan to post about my experience but seeing that my friend did, I wanna share my perspective as well in case anyone wants to read ;) This was my first audition and I'm 18 years old (turning 19) so I'm getting pretty old and I decided that I could finally gather enough courage to put myself out there and just DO IT! So with the support of my friend, I decided to attend with her. The turnout wasn't anything huge but to me it was a lot of people because it's my first time. All the workers were from Korea I assumed because I asked a lady if she's from Korea she said yes and they all seem to communicate and are close to one another. One of the workers was so cute!! He looked like Kim Soo Hyun, I decided that if I were to pass the first round I would ask him for a picture but I didn't pass so .. hence, no picture! lol.

Anywho, I was extremely nervous, a lot more nervous than I would have expected. They sat everyone in a room first, and then called groups of 4 to go into either A, B, OR C room. I was C17 (wore a jean jacket) if anyone saw me.. probably not lol! Well, I sang my piece which was Timeless by Jang Ri In (zhang li yin) and Junsu (xiah). There were two judges, the main judge was a guy, and I believe the lady next to him was also a judge but she didnt say anything. The guy said some stuff and the girl translated that my voice was kind of shaky and not very stable. I said yeah cause im nervous! and he said Well, sorry. and in my head I was like OH HELL NO!! So I asked "Can I sing another song please?" He didn't hesitate and said Yes please go ahead. So I sang the chorus of Alicia Keys - If I ain't got you. He said a lot in Korean and something about powerful, but the translator just translated it as "Basically still the same problems". -Sigh- Considering this is my first time I would say it's very memorable. As a result I felt terrible inside and I mean rejection is not something that anyone wants to hear. Especially because while I was sitting waiting to go in the audition room, 2 other people passed already within a matter of minutes!! Well, I wish luck to the finalists and I hope to see someone from Vancouver representin'!

Alrighty so I will tell everyone my expierence for my Van audition! I made it into the final van audition~

So I got there around 10am and finally auditioned at 3pm - I was C44, I had my guitar and .... people may have noticed me cause Im a tall blond white chick trolol. Anyways the girl before me was amazing, you could hear her through the door - in C our producer had only let 5 people in and the girl before me, 6. My initial thought was that I was going to fail, but when I went in I walked in and attempted to be me - and consider them as you know people. I introduced myself, tried to be funny then sang a Korean song, Ugly. They then asked me to sing another one, so I sang my own song I composed - then they asked me to sing an English song that was well known, so I sang Stop and stare. It was the scariest moment in my audition expierence... I passed. All he told me was to fix my strumming on guitar... cause I was so nervous my hands were shaking hhahha. After I passed I got my picture taken, an interview and them video taping me singing... xD

Anyways the final audition was the same day, at 5pm - only 23 people made it and I was the last person C had picked. All the finalists were lead down beneath the stage - they were setting up the stage with video cameras, etc. This audition would be in front of all sbs staff and all three producers of jyp, sm and yg... C's producer was Jyp - yeee buddaaahhh. We were all lead down to a dressing room with chairs, where we were told our new numbers and given our new sticker things that said our names. They also brought us pizza and pop and some water for those of us who were hungry... everyone was practicing and bonding was preeee coool. I made a bunch of new friends through it, so im just completely content.

Now when it was my time to go up (they called 5 people up at a time) we again had to introduce ourselves and sing.

Faith:Annyeonghaseyooo, my names Faith - 18 years old, blehbleh - I said something that made my producer man laugh cause I said something like "Pleaaaseee consider me hahah" etc. I again sang ugly - this time I put my all into it, half way through I noticed my producer man was tapping his pen so I copied his tempo throughout, the one thing he asked me to work on. I ... then sang stop and stare maaaaan i forgot my lyrics second sentence in and so I just played guitar for like two minutes trolololoo... They then asked for me to sing without my guitar... so i sang call me maybe for kicks. At the end of the chorus I pointed at them and in a cliche way said "call me maybe" .... at the end my producer dude was smiling and nodding while I was walking to the back of the theatre a mid-aged Korean man started cheering and said I did really well... I thought I sucked because of my mess up... I asked if my mess up was bad - and he said "Don't worry your voice was amazing" - no idea who he was but only sbs staff was aloud in the room - parents and friends were removed before the finals started, but yeee this is my expierence... now im anxiously waiting for my call back. LOOOOL - Crosses finger. >_<

^Good luck, hope the call you get is a good one! :)

I'll share my story too, this is the first time I went to an audition like this! I was in the London auditions. I was B-017 and my group was the first one up to the judges after lunch (about 2:30pm) and at that point only 2 PEOPLE had been put through to the final o_o seems they were being pretty harsh! In the end there were 12 people in the final.

There was a camera set up in the entrance hall where contestants who didn't pass were encouraged to show anything they couldn't show in their audition (to be uploaded on the website) and I heard some amazing singers with huge voices and was like.. how did you NOT pass?! So it was a bit disheartening tbh! It's clear they're looking for something quite specific.

I was really nervous and I couldn't shut the pod door which was embarrassing (xD) and I sang a pretty unknown song, Hope by Younha. They asked for an English song so I did a Leona Lewis song (her OST for Avatar). They liked my voice but said they want something more poppy for the final round! So I was like, oh gawd, what to do xD

I came back having tried to learn BoA's 'Number 1' and told them I'd learned a new poppier song like they'd asked for earlier. It was going okay but I forgot the lyrics in the bridge and was like oh frick! And they asked if I had another song so I just did Taeyeon's 'If' because I won KTO's vocal comp in London in August with that song (got a free trip to Korea for winning ^^) and one of the judges clapped at the end of it so it seems he enjoyed it xD

They asked if I had any other talents I wanted to show, but I'd snapped my belt like 5 min before I had to go on for the final round so I couldn't dance or my jeans would have fallen off (typical xD) so I was like 'nope just singing today ^^;;'. I songwrite and play piano and stuff, it's on the form and they have my YouTube so hopefully they will check it (and see my dance vid as well).

The final was so scary, there were so many more people (where did they come from!?) and a really different layout. I think nerves got to me and I let myself down by forgetting the lyrics but you never know. I'm not Asian so suppose I'm unlikely to be put through for that reason but fingers crossed anyway! ^^ Good luck everyone who's still waiting on callbacks! They said a week so.. should be soon, right? :o

• 1 month later...
Guest baptatamoto

A.Love said: Well, I live in Argentina, so my only way for audition is by youtube. GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE! :)
this is an old video of me singing, can give me so advice :)???

(Obviously this is a bit late lol) But I think you need to put more emotion into it

Archived