Guest Jill4675

I'm still waiting for my dvd :blink: So how was the movie?

Erica, It's quite a good movie, and if you look at the comments on IMDb, they are really, really good (it gets 8.2 stars out of 10 with 55 votes)...All dialogue with the three main characters is in English (I watched with the subtitles, which merely repeat the spoken English under the picture). The Korean parts have embedded English subtitles. There isn't much dialogue, as you might imagine, since JH doesn't speak English!!

I'd say the weakest thing about it is that there are plenty of unresolved questions regarding certain aspects of the plot. But that leaves the viewer to make his/her own decisions and that's fine.

An interesting sidebar: Like Jang Hyuk, Jason Scott Lee trained in Jeet Kune Do. Per IMDb, JSL did so for his role in "Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story."

Lush and rather beautiful musical soundtrack, very nice cinematography. Very much an art house film. It's not at all boring, and JH looks great and is very good as the self-taught dancer. I watched in one sitting even though I hadn't intended to. Wasn't the least bit bored. The movie is about 1 hour 45 mins.

I highly recommend the site wils pointed us to. He's got a ton of movies and they all have English subtitles.

sunglasses2.gif

Guest Jill4675

^ I still want to see that movie... hopefully I can rent it somewhere someday.

lin, You can get it at the link posted by wils... Just dl and enjoy! No need to rent, which might not even ever be possible! ;)

DOTD

sunglasses2.gif

Guest erica1064

Erica, It's quite a good movie, and if you look at the comments on IMDb, they are really, really good (it gets 8.2 stars out of 10 with 55 votes)...All dialogue with the three main characters is in English (I watched with the subtitles, which merely repeat the spoken English under the picture). The Korean parts have embedded English subtitles. There isn't much dialogue, as you might imagine, since JH doesn't speak English!!

I'd say the weakest thing about it is that there are plenty of unresolved questions regarding certain aspects of the plot. But that leaves the viewer to make his/her own decisions and that's fine.

An interesting sidebar: Like Jang Hyuk, Jason Scott Lee trained in Jeet Kune Do. Per IMDb, JSL did so for his role in "Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story."

Lush and rather beautiful musical soundtrack, very nice cinematography. Very much an art house film. It's not at all boring, and JH looks great and is very good as the self-taught dancer. I watched in one sitting even though I hadn't intended to. Wasn't the least bit bored. The movie is about 1 hour 45 mins.

I highly recommend the site wils pointed us to. He's got a ton of movies and they all have English subtitles.

sunglasses2.gif

I finally got my dvd - had to play it in my computer. The quality was very good so if anyone is at all interested in purchasing from http://www.moviexclusive.com/estore/index.php?productID=357

I am happy to recommend it. It's definitely region 3, so you have to have an all region or a region 3 dvd player to watch it.

I liked the movie; mostly because of Jang Hyuk. I thought that the spoken English was quite good - I didn't need to put up subtitles, I was able to understand everyone well.

I agree with you - it is very much an art house film. The storyline unfortunately seemed one dimensional to me - after seeing Tae and Emi dance once Cheng (Jason Scott Lee) is absurdly jealous. Had we had more scenes of Emi teaching Tae and a gradual build up to their attraction to each other I could have bought the jealousy. The Tae and Emi thing had much more potential for development too, than it was given which was unfortunate. There was so much heat between Jang Hyuk and Fann Wong that I would really have enjoyed watching that grow. Would have been nice to give them scenes "after hours" where she's teaching him to refine his gift, we could have got some of her back story from her side.

I came away feeling like the "dare to love" tag line was more about Tae going against his father's wishes in learning to dance than it was about their relationship. Maybe that was supposed to be the point - I don't know.

Jang Hyuk was the stand out as far as I was concerned. Like I said above, his English was good and the guy can emote without any lines; such subtlety in his face. He's a child in front of his father's disappointment, he's full of wonder looking out of the taxi in Singapore, so much determination in his face as he tells Cheng he'll meet his challenge, so focused and intense during the dancing scenes. I would have liked to see him smile more, to blossom in his alleged love for Emi. But alas, the movie was too short and underdeveloped.

Like you said Jill, the cinemetography was gorgeous - lush was a good word - I could almost smell the sweat in the dance house. The soundtrack was beautiful. I really enjoyed it and am glad I bought it.

I'm going to go watch the "making of..." now.

Guest Jill4675

Erica, thanks for your review, with which I totally agree (see my comments about the "plot" ~ in addition to unresolved I could have said underdeveloped, as you did! That, as I mentioned, was the main weakness...)! ;) I'm really glad I was able to see the movie, because I'd kind of become convinced I never would! :lol:

LOL, they should have used us as plot consultants...and that would have improved the end product! Nevertheless, I think any JH fan will really enjoy the film!

sunglasses2.gif

Guest erica1064

Erica, thanks for your review, with which I totally agree (see my comments about the "plot" ~ in addition to unresolved I could have said underdeveloped, as you did! That, as I mentioned, was the main weakness...)! ;) I'm really glad I was able to see the movie, because I'd kind of become convinced I never would! :lol:

LOL, they should have used us as plot consultants...and that would have improved the end product! Nevertheless, I think any JH fan will really enjoy the film!

sunglasses2.gif

Oh, I agree Jill - any JH fan will not come away disappointed! It's another very good effort under JH's belt and I look forward to many more - and to hearing other's thoughts as they see the film. I sincerely hope he gets more opportunities to make better films because he's just that good.

I just read some news today that JH has been cast in a new movie! yaaaayy...finallyyy...

http://www.newscani.com/news/128360

The tentative title for the movie is 오감도 (O Kam Do) ..I think it means Coming and Leaving (need clarification on this lol)

And his co-stars will be Kim Gang Woo, Kim Soo Ro, Bae Jong Ok, Kim Min Seon, Cha Soo Yeon,Cha Hyeon Jeong.

20090131120429_0_5.jpg

Guest Jill4675

I just read some news today that JH has been cast in a new movie! yaaaayy...finallyyy...

The tentative title for the movie is 오감도 (O Kam Do) ..I think it means Coming and Leaving (need clarification on this lol)

And his co-stars will be Kim Gang Woo, Kim Soo Ro, Bae Jong Ok, Kim Min Seon, Cha Soo Yeon,Cha Hyeon Jeong.

:) This is great news for us and great career news for JH...BUT...I hope he will not stop doing dramas because I need more 16 (or 16+ ;)) episode dramas to feed my addiction!!! :lol: A movie is short; dramas go on for hours!!! :sweatingbullets:

BTW, what about Penthouse Elephant...haven't heard anything in AGES... :huh:

o-cha, did you watch DOTD yet? Don't wait too long if you haven't... ;)

As to O Kam Do, I think it means something about the senses....

sunglasses2.gif

Guest erica1064

:) This is great news for us and great career news for JH...BUT...I hope he will not stop doing dramas because I need more 16 (or 16+ ;) ) episode dramas to feed my addiction!!! :lol: A movie is short; dramas go on for hours!!! :sweatingbullets:

BTW, what about Penthouse Elephant...haven't heard anything in AGES... :huh:

o-cha, did you watch DOTD yet? Don't wait too long if you haven't... ;)

As to O Kam Do, I think it means something about the senses....

sunglasses2.gif

I really want to see JH skyrocket in any medium - he is good enough for films, international ones too, as we already know how tremendous he is on television.

I'm looking forward to Penthouse Elephant whenever it becomes available. But I still have Robbers to watch :)

Jill: Alas...I haven't watched DOTD yet....but it's on my to do though...need to finish Tazza first hahahahaha. But yeah..us greedy fans want dramas so we can see more of him hehehe.

lin, You can get it at the link posted by wils... Just dl and enjoy! No need to rent, which might not even ever be possible! ;)

DOTD

sunglasses2.gif

Thank you... when I get my internet back up and running... I'll go search and DL the movie... I miss him...

%7Boption%7Dhttp://www.esportsi.com/bbs/data/ent02/20090131120429_0_5.jpg

Really... Yay! I know he miss us fans... cause he was gone for a long time... he can't hide forever... thanks for the news... I can't wait till this movie comes out... I wonder what it's going to be about???

hello hyukers.. not been here for quitesometime.

thanks thanks for the updates. i want to see him again doing dramas or movies.

some articles

Jang Hyuk And Sung Yuri as Lovers

It was revealed today that Jang Hyuk has been confirmed for the movie Rabbit and Lizard opposite fellow SidusHQ colleague, Sung Yuri (her debut movie) and become a couple. The movie Rabbit and Lizard is about a girl who had left the country when she was little after being adopted by an overseas family and is now back in her home country, in search of her identity. Sung Yuri plays the adopted girl who returns to her home country after 23 years living overseas. She is aided in her search by a cab driver played by Jang Hyuk.

According to the production company, Jang Hyuk's character has a rare heart disease which leaves him being cold/disinterested to anything around him. But in the journey with Sung Yuri's character, he gradually discovers that there's actually hope in life. The movie will be directed by Joo Ji Hong with filming expected to begin anytime soon.

source: coolsmurf

Guest Jill4675

hello hyukers.. not been here for quitesometime.

thanks thanks for the updates. i want to see him again doing dramas or movies.

Hi, cholo! Doesn't the movie sound interesting? I'm looking forward to seeing JH on the screen again...movie, TV, I don't care...I'll just be happy to watch him again! ;)

sunglasses2.gif