Thrifting?

Guest paintyourxtarget

zer0mg

wrote:

»

Two years ago I told my mom I wanted to go check out the thrift store, and she totally freaked out. She said it was dirty and disgusting and couldn't understand why I would want to shop in a secondhand place. Then she brought me to Ross and told me that was the closest I was ever going to get.<br />

<br />

I do wish I could try thrifting one day though, just to see what it's like and <br />

what I could find. The alteration side of DIY fashion doesn't really <br />

appeal to me, but maybe there will be something inspiring.<br />

<br />

<br />

I don't go to thrift stores because tbh there aren't any in my area. I did see one way out somewhere before, but I remember my mom saying how someone she knows got bed bugs from buying something there (???). She doesn't really approve of buying used clothing in particular for sanitary reasons, so I guess she is trying to force me to do the same. I do shop at flea markets though! A lot of vendors sell brand new stuff and at unbeatable prices, like $1 t-shirts, $2 handbags, $4 jeans, $5 jackets, etc. I think they get that stuff from closeouts. Other sellers sell second hand stuff like paintings, antiques, etc.  My whole family is addicted to flea markets, myself included. I guess that counts as thrifting :) 

Guest *miss~malfoy*

<3 <3 <3 thrifting. There are some really good thrift shops in my city, especially as everyone has become more environmentally conscious. Wealthy people who can't be bothered to try and resell things will just donate piles of designer clothes. I like how one can find a different range of items depending on what neighborhood one shops in; they really do reflect each community's unique makeup.

In the past I only picked up things that were in perfect condition, but lately I've started going for fixer-uppers that are fun to work with as well. I found a really nice dark wooden armchair ($5!) that just had some surface scratches, so I've been découpaging it with some of my favorite images and phrases from magazines. Last week I got a large pair of red leather pants for $1 that I'm going to snip the seams of so I can use the material to make braided leather jewelry and maybe some small leather plushies ^-^. Hopefully one of these days I'll find a green leather garment so I can make long stemmed roses!

Guest agentdevil5656

Now I have some questions for you thrifters out there:

1. How often do you shop at a thrift store?

2. Do you go there alone? With other people?

3. What are the conditions of that thrift store? (i.e. Are the merchandise low-quality/high-quality? Is the store in general tidy/organized?)

4. What kind of stuff do you look for? (e.g. clothes, shoes, housewares, etc.)

5. Do you clean your purchases? With more precaution than you do with newer goods?

6. How much time do you usually spend at the store during one trip?

7. How much money do you usually spend during one trip?

8. What do other people around you think when you tell them you go thrifting?

Feel free to answer all the questions, a few, or none at all. I just ask out of curiosity. ヽ(・∀・ )ノ

Guest eeplants

I love shopping on a thrift store, lot of things to buy that doesn't have to be too expensive yet beautiful. To @Endeavor, thanks for the links, will check out their items later and see what could buy.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest chlorine

zer0mg said:1. How often do you shop at a thrift store?
3. What are the conditions of that thrift store? (i.e. Are the merchandise low-quality/high-quality? Is the store in general tidy/organized?)
5. Do you clean your purchases? With more precaution than you do with newer goods?

Feel free to answer all the questions, a few, or none at all. I just ask out of curiosity. ヽ(・∀・ )ノ

1. How often do you shop at a thrift store?

• 1 year later...
Guest jm3ena

I looove thrifting. :) It is fun to shop at your local thrift stores especially if you're with friends who share same passion. I also like to do DIY projects out of the thrifted items that I got. I also follow some blogs about thrifting. Here are the blogs that I heart.:
http://shanaandadam.blogspot.com/2014/03/vintage-swank.html

http://www.twostylishkays.com/

• 3 weeks later...
Guest creamcheeese

I recently started thrift shopping and I can't believe i didn't do it before! My family kinda looks down upon cause we actually have money to get "good" material things and I shouldn't be buying stuff if people actually need it. But I do it anyway cause it's like a treasure chest! I like to get old wooden frames and totally revamp them! I also get pretty cute clothing there too and the quality ain't too bad :) Oh! And I like the small pots and glass jars to hold room decor stuff and just make my room artsy! 

• 1 month later...
Guest glamazon21

I absolutely love thrift shopping, when I was younger (grade 3-7) my parents got a divorce and my mom was left being the sole provider and she bought me used clothes. I used to be ashamed about it and eventually it stopped and I always bought new clothes.
Now I go to thrift stores for fun because I can find really good pieces for really cheap. I bought a jacket that looks like Alicia Silverstone's jacket from Clueless for $7.99 and a really cute floral skirt for $4.99. I also think there are great pieces to decorate my room with, like small plates for my earrings and rings and cool picture frames. I saw an old Polaroid camera once and it was like $8.99, so if you really keep an eye out for things you can get a great deal. Also if you like shopping but don't want to break the bank you can get the "thrill of the hunt" but spend less :P

Guest goodnightkiss

I believe that the area is also very important. I have found some of my absolute favorite cardigans from goodwill, but at other locations there weren't things that had interested me. Furthermore, I know that there are some ma and pa thrift stores that have excellent ranges of selections to choose from. It's also important to have an image of how you'd pair certain clothing with each other because there might be some pieces that aren't that appealing when simply looking at it from a clothes rack, but when paired with your favorite shoes or top, they look amazing!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm so mad that the Goodwill by me is EXPENSIVE!! I just moved to a new city and so far the thrifting scene is disappointing =/
I LOVE LOVE LOVE thrift stores! The trick is to not go into a thrift store with a certain set thing you're looking for...that's what department stores are for! Thrift stores are for hidden treasures!

Hmm... main reason I go is for baggy shirts I can cut up into tanks and for cups/mason jars/ etc

• 4 months later...
Guest RogerSanchez

No I never did shopping from the thrift store, not even I know about the discounts offers and categories of this store. But after knowing about this site I will  definitely buy some thing from here. Please tell me more about this store. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived