• Replies 781
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest atumnrain

electricblue

said: After watching Ugly Alert on Onetvasia I came to know this great actor Im Juhwan totally captivated by him and his acting, do not know Im Juhwan is the lead actor of Tamra Island

Guest ummi74

[iNTERVIEW] IM JOO HWAN, “NICE GUY?” WITH ‘UGLY ALERT’ HE HAS TURNED OVER A NEW LEAF”

note (*) means I’m unsure of translation

—13-12-09—

“<Ugly Alert>’s Gong Joon Soo was a really selfish character.”

SBS’s daily drama <Ugly Alert> ended happily with 133 episodes and the curtain has finally come down. Im Joo Hwan sat down face to face with the reporter whilst carrying a genial smile. Even though the drama ran on a tiring schedule, he appeared with a bright image.

For around 7 months, Im Joo Hwan lived as Gong Joon Soo, the ‘nice guy’. As his nice character was the lead of the drama, it held an unusual meaning for him. To the ending of the drama, he shared his thoughts. “As it ended well, I feel satisfied and happy but there’s also this bitter feeling. I still have things to say and feelings to express such as  “did I miss anything?’ ‘did I lack at anything?” and other feelings.”

“Gong Joon Soo and I are different”

Through ‘Ugly Alert’s’ Gong Joon Soo, he had a chance to play a ‘one-of a kind’ nice guy. The fact is, for this one and only character, he devoted a lot of concentration and hard work. To bring out the character’s detail, he also came up with a lot of ideas, in the end did it pay off? The viewers named Im Joo Hwan as a ‘healing icon’, sending along their praise.

“To a certain extent, there are some parts (of his character) I also shared similar feelings with. I had a lot of realizations. But the writer told me think of Gong Joon Soo as a very selfish character. Because he wanted things to go his way, the people around him had a hard time. Furthermore, he was the one that started the ‘problems’ and he was also the one to ‘resolve’ them. If I were to simply describe him, I would say his character is very selfish and  also a character who pretends to be nice (a hypocrite).”

Guest ummi74

[iNTERVIEW] IM JOO HWAN: “BOTH ‘UGLY ALERT’ AND ‘PRINCESS AURORA’ HAD THEIR OWN STRENGTHS”

—2013-12-09—

Actor Im Joo Hwan chose SBS’s daily drama ‘Ugly Alert’ as his comeback project after getting discharged from the army and as an actor, he gained a significant amount of experience from it. Meanwhile, from not being able to land a lead role, to eventually leading the drama, to filming under the ‘live-shoot’ system compared to a pre filmed production, he was able to safely complete filming.  Shin PD’s continuous support also gave him great strength.

However Im Joo Hwan said “After the show ended, I still couldn’t relax.”

Seeing how he has successfully completed such arduous filming, it seems as if he will be able easily handle any circumstance in his future projects.

On the morning of this month on the 6th, we met up with Im Joo Hwan who shared a lot about ‘Ugly Alert’.

◆ “Although Gong Joon Soo’s character is unrealistic, his charm lies in his sincerity.”

At the time, Im Joo Hwan’s casting was made at the very end. His appearance was all thanks to Shin Yoon Sub PD who never hesitated and pushed for Im Joo Hwan to be the main lead. In the process, most of the production team was against Im Joo Hwan’s casting. The reason they gave was because he was not ‘well-known’.  For the first time, Im Joo Hwan also wondered about his own casting.

“When I received the offer for the casting from the director, I thought “do they have the right person?” I later heard the director say that when he saw me, he somehow had a good feeling. I heard during that time, the director searched for information about me through videos of the projects I’ve been in and things like magazine interviews.  The director that worked with me in MBC’s drama “Tamna the Island” also looked after me and gave me strength. I am really grateful (for them).”

Guest ummi74

[iNTERVIEW] KANG SORA AND I WERE THE ‘MASTERS’ OF MUSHY LOVE SCENES.

2013-12-10

(*) = unsure of translation

—-

Isn’t this person Korea’s “Ivan the Fool?”

In the recently ended SBS drama ‘Ugly Alert, Im Joo Hwan takes on the character of Gong Joon Soo who can be described as someone like ‘Ivan’ in Leo Tolstoy’s short story “Ivan the Fool”.  Amongst the many makjang daily dramas out there, ‘Ugly Alert’ stood out alone as a ‘nice drama’ and the character Gong Joon Soo remained true to himself from start to finish. Like Ivan, in “Ivan the Fool” who is optimistic in everything he does, Joon Soo turned out to be just the same.

"There were many times where I felt quite suffocated about the character Gong Joon Soo."

Like Joon Soo who was always filled with laughter, for my latest interview I met up with Im Joo Hwan who was also filled with that same great atmosphere. Then, is that what ‘Ugly Alert’s’ director Shin Yoon Sub saw in Im Joo Hwan? He personally met with Im Joo Hwan in spite of many people’s objection. It’s not hard to see why director Shin Yoon Sub wanted him to take the lead role. He’s a person with great genuineness, therefore Im Joo Hwan definitely had the qualifications to play Joon Soo.  

“The director gave me a lot of support. Everybody else objected to my participation in ‘Ugly Alert’ and it was only the director that fully supported me. I’m not sure one what made him have so much confidence in me, but he looked at all my previous magazine interviews, and things like my fan-meetings and videos. From me, he found that Joon Soo he was looking for.”

Guest ummi74

[iNTERVIEW] IM JOO HWAN: I GREW UP TOGETHER WITH GONG JOON SOO

2013-12-10

—-

“It feels like I just debuted. People gradually know more about me.

Twenty minutes before the start of the interview, I received a phone-call. It was actor Im Joo Hwan who already arrived at the location we had arranged for. Before meeting him,  the image of a ‘sincere, rising star’ and other pleasant images arose in my mind. Having accepted interview after interview for the whole week he must’ve been tired, but Im Joo Hwan appeared without any signs of tiredness and carried a joyful smile instead.

Appearing at 186cm, he gave off an image of a charming gentleman. The label ‘model-turned actor’ had always followed him around. Although he got to lead in the dramas ‘Tamna the Island’ and ‘What’s Up’ and at the same time displayed his solid acting skills, low ratings and recognition posed as a setback for him. This February, after getting discharged from the army he came back with SBS’s daily drama ‘Ugly Alert, and it was like a new beginning for his acting career.

“Actually, all those concerned at SBS  was against my casting. Only Director Shin Yoon Sub supported me all the way through. From my fan meeting videos to my previous works, he watched all of them and that’s how he determined I should be the one playing ‘Gong Joon Soo’. Besides him, the cinematographer who worked with me in “Tamna the Island” also gave me strength. Regardless of whether the director had the intention of coming to me, I was already destined to be Gong Joon Soo (laughs).”

Archived