• Replies 781
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest ummi74

Im Ju Hwan in Ugly Alert Episode 41 Mountain Scene http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x11zfs1_ugly-alert-episode-41-mountain-scene_people#.UeYTcdI_tV0

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest ummi74

[iNTERVIEW] UGLY ALERT’S IM JOO HWAN, “IGNORANT STYLE”—WHEN YOUR BODY IS TIRED, A ‘HAPPINESS’ EMERGES

Note: (*) meansI may not be right about these translations

Actor Im Joo Hwan talks about his own physical strength/health.

On the morning of December 2nd, Im Joo Hwan received an interview by TV Report and when asked the question “how did you take care of your body?”,he answered with “I consumed a variety of juices.”

On the 29th, SBS daily drama “Ugly Alert” ended on the 133th episode in which Im Joo Hwan who acted as “Gong Joon Soo” gave an enthusiastic performance.

Regarding this, Im Joo Hwan stated, “ Since April, filming for ‘Ugly Alert’ officially began. From the moment I opened my eyes until I shut them, I saw the same people (around me). [edited] In the 7 months of filming, I probably only rested for about a week to 10 days.

Following, he added “(For the sake of maintaining my strength) I drank a wide variety of juices. From onion juice, to red ginseng that fans sent me, I drank many (types).”

Especially, Im Joo Hwan says he feels there is no limit to physical strength. “Actually, in the beginning of the drama there were a lot of running and laborious scenes, but I didn’t feel it was tiring at all. The scene where I was running along side Do Hee’s (Kang Sora) car in a suit, took around 7-8 hours to film. In reality, when it aired, it was probably around 10s. Although in comparison the time was short, I personally think it was worth investing (that amount of time) for the sake of getting the best shot.

“The more running, the more good scenes that will come out, isn’t that right?” he said with a smile.

To add, Im Joo Hwan defined the term ‘Ignorant Style’ in his own view.“Overworking your body slightly is a good thing.  When your body is tired, it seems like a sort of ‘happiness’ emerges. Following, he reveals “ *I heard from the other actors (telling me) “why can’t you think of it in a more ‘clever’ way?”

(I kind of semi-directly translated this, but it still sounds weird. The main point  the other actors were telling him was that his thinking was weird! Haha. It’s true though…because most people would not think that being ‘tired’ is a good thing…hence the title ‘ignorant style’(direct translation) or rather ‘ignorant thinking’ [in a good way, of course] )

Guest ummi74

[iNTERVIEW] ‘UGLY ALERT’ IM JOO HWAN, KANG SORA LOVEY-DOVEY ACTING: “WORKED HARD (TO ACT) CANDIDLY!”

Note(*) means I’m not too sure about the translation.

Note: there was one word “오글거리” that had me scratching my head for the whole day! I searched everywhere to find a good translation and finally settled for ‘mushy’. If anyone knows a better translation…please let me know TT_TT. 

Actor Im Joo Hwan openly shared his thoughts on his and Kang Sora’s ‘lovey-dovey’ couple acting in SBS’s drama ‘Ugly Alert’.

On December 3rd in Asiatoday’s interview Im Joo Hwan said, “there really were quite a lot of *’mushy’ scenes. Me, Sora and the director (PD) all agreed that  it should be ‘mushy’ but at the same time done candidly (openly,sincerely), and with a bit of romantic to it’. * The PD advised me on how to interpret the role with a bit of mischievousness/playfulness to it.”

“The PD had a rich imagination with a lot of ideas. He also was the one to have the ideas for the scenes related to the ‘newly-wed’ experience, and also the foot-washing scene, and others. Sora also thought of ideas for ‘scenes that women would find romantic’.

In ‘Ugly Alert’ Im Joo Hwan and Kang Sora took on the role of Joon Soo and Do Hee respectively, playing compatibly as lovers. From the two back hugging, to the foot-bath, to brushing the other’s teeth, rinsing the mouth, etc., these sweet love scenes were all well-performed. With these two’s perfect chemistry, viewer’s reacted with “if these two were real-life lovers that would be good~” In particular, the way Im Joo Hwan treated his loved one with affection, captured many girl’s hearts. 

In regards to the ‘newly-wed acting (he said), * “Sora read a lot of books (?) so she had a lot of imagination for the love scenes. I’m also at that age where I don’t feel embarrassed, as well because it was near the ending of filming I didn’t feel it was difficult at all.”

“For the last scenes that were filmed on set, the one where I helped brush Sora’s teeth, me and Sora felt at ease while acting. It was all done ad-lib (improvised),” 

In regards to his attitude towards marriage, he said “ I haven’t accomplished much yet, so I don’t have much thoughts about marriage. I still don’t have the thought to raise a family to that extent. I still have a long ways to go in terms of acting.”

"The feeling I have now, feels just like how I felt when I got discharged from the military in February (laughs). After getting discharged, because I took on this drama shortly after, I didn’t have time to date. Because of my profession, I think it is hard and improbable to meet people (to date). It’s not likely that I will easily make the decision to date and then marry (right after)."

Guest ummi74

[iNTERVIEW] IM JOO HWAN “JO IN SUNG HYUNG, SENT ME A TEXT MESSAGE OUT OF THE BLUE”

note: (*) means I’m unsure of translation

Actor Im Joo Hwan revealed his closeness with Jo In Sung.

On the morning of December 2nd, while Im Joo Hwan received an interview from TV Report talking about the recently ended SBS daily drama “Ugly Alert”, he also answered a question about Jo In Sung with a smile.

Previously, Im Joo Hwan mentioned that he once consulted with Jo In Sung about choosing to take part in ‘Ugly Alert’.  From Jo In Sung’s advice, he gained a lot of courage and determination to take part in this drama.

On this day, he started by saying “Jo In Sung Hyung sent me text messages out of the blue saying things like, ‘ (I’m) watching closely ’, ‘Lately, what are you up to?’I was taken by surprise (because) at that time I received the text messages, I was going through a hard time (I think he means a ‘hard time’ deciding’)

“Not a while back, on the phone he said ‘you’re doing good’. There was a scene where Gong Jin Joo (Kang Byul) found out about Joon Soo’s hard past, and then she woke me up while I was asleep and talked to me, and we cried together.  On the phone he said (to me) ‘Good job. I’m also learning from you’ and I appreciated that.”

In particular, Im Joo Hwan revealed his personal thought towards Jo In Sung.

“(Jo) In Sung Hyung’s words can make one feel ‘tense’.Although he may seem like the scary type, I feel he has the ability to see through everything. I don’t see him as ‘Jo In Sung, Korea’s top star’. ***He is a laid-back person who is concerned/interested about my matters (?) To his ‘siblings’ (as in those younger than him…those that call him “Hyung”), he really gives off a warm feel.”

Besides Jo In Sung, Im Joo Hwan also frequently meets up with actors Song Joong Ki, Lee Kwang Soo and others. “Before (Song) Joong Ki entered the military, we met up and talked about one topic for 3 hours. We continuously talked in-depth and exchanged thoughts about acting.

On the other hand, Im Joo Hwan passionately played out the role of Gong Joon Soo in ‘Ugly Alert’. He played the role of a man who made sacrifices for his siblings after his parents remarried.

Guest ummi74

tumblr_mxcl271scJ1rdmp3qo1_500.png

While I was busy studying, I still kept track of the AMAZING AMOUNT of interviews that were coming out from Im Joo Hwan (I counted in total around 13-14?) 

LIKE WOW. that’s gonna take me the whole winter break to translate (maybe not even!)

But I’m so happy he’s getting all this recognition and notice!!!

IM JOO HWAN HWAITING!!!~~~

Source : cookingdramas

Guest ummi74

[iNTERVIEW] IM JOO HWAN,“ WITH JO IN SUNG, SONG JOONG KI, LEE GWANG SOO,WE CAN CHAT AWAY FOR 4 HOURS”

edited:on dec.25/13

Actor Im Joo Hwan discloses he and his close ‘brothers’ Jo In Sung, Song Joong Ki, and Lee Kwang Soo spend their free time chatting away. 

On the 4th, Im Joo Hwan said in his interview with OSEN, “ The four of us, In Sungi hyung, Gwang Soo, Song Joong Ki gather like family. We talk not as ‘professional actors’ but rather as ‘siblings’.”

He talked about what they do in their free time. “ For example, if we start talking about acting or movies, we can talk about one subject for 4 hours straight.”

Furthermore, he talked about his ‘mentor’ Jo In Sung. “When I was filming my drama, In Sungi hyung asked me via text message ‘Is anything wrong?’ (*) At that time, I was physically drained out and he wanted to know in detail if anything was hurting ”

He further added, “ I feel that In Sung hyung is not just monitoring ‘any other’ actor’s work, but is really looking out for his ‘brother’ Im Joo Hwan.”

On the other hand, Im Joo Hwan recently starred as ‘Gong Joon Soo’ in SBS’s daily drama ‘Ugly Alert’ which ended on the 29th.

Guest ummi74

IM JOO HWAN “ AFTER GETTING DISCHARGED FROM THE MILITARY, EVERYONE EXCEPT THE PD (DIRECTOR) WAS AGAINST MY CASTING FOR ‘UGLY ALERT’ (PART 1)

Note: (*) means I’m unsure of translation

Acting as nice guy ‘Gong Joon Soo’ transformed Im Joo Hwan.

Two months after Im Joo Hwan got discharged from the army in February, he made a comeback with SBS’s drama ‘Ugly Alert’. Living as ‘Gong Joon Soo’ for 7-8 months, Im Joo Hwan shared his thoughts on ending the drama. “ (I feel) refreshing, relaxed and bittersweet. To the character Gong Joon Soo, there are regrets that I couldn’t give him more love.  (*) It feels as if I have not finished what I had to say, I could’ve did more.”

After returning back to becoming a ‘normal civilian’, the reason why he came back shortly with the chance to star in ‘Ugly Alert’ was all thanks to Shin Yoon Sub PD. From the beginning, Shin Yoon Sub PD set Im Joo Hwan to be the main lead for this drama. Without discussing anything in particular with Im Joo Hwan,  he was certain that he had to do this drama.

Im Joo Hwan disclosed the back-story to his casting. “I was told to come to SBS to see the director. He didn’t have any other meetings with other actors. When I heard that, I had the reaction of ‘why me?’  This was the first time a director had (personally) asked for me.”

“I heard that if it wasn’t me, no one else would do. There was no other typical casting (process) to determine the main lead. I was the first and ‘last’ to be casted.(*) I was also the last to be notified personally by the director that I was their first choice. There was nothing like some kind of script reading. The director told me I had to take part in this.”

(there was script reading of course for the drama, but he probably means script reading for auditioning or something)

“Besides the director, everyone else was against me (taking on the role). The director pushed for me to do it and convinced me that I was the right person to act ‘Gong Joon Soo’. Because of that, I was quite encouraged.”

After Gong Joon Soo’s parents remarried, he took the blame for his younger brother’s murder and spent 10 years in jail. After getting released from prison, Gong Joon Soo continued unconditionally devoting himself to his family. Because of his love towards his siblings, his family accepted him again. Only until the latter half of the drama, his siblings find out the truth behind the murder case. Gong Joon Soo is truly a one of a kind ‘nice guy’.

“In the drama, because of me all the characters had a hard time,” he laughs. "In the beginning, it was impossible to understand Gong Joon Soo. Perhaps the viewers as well couldn’t believe there would be someone like Gong Joon Soo. I as well, couldn’t understand him at first. (*) It wasn’t the accident that created the incident. It was only until that ‘simple’ accident was made into a murder, that prompted (Gong Joon Soo) to sacrifice himself to protect his brother.”

"There truly is that kind of person that exists now. However, we forget that we know of it in a different sense. It is basic for you to give up for your family. If we don’t see it in the perspective of Gong Joon Soo being a brother, we can see it in terms of being a parent. In order to protect your own children, you will do anything for them. In Joon Soo’s view, because his parents passed away, he had to protect his siblings. In order to not allow his siblings to get hurt, he chose to take the blame for the murder.”

When asked how similar he is compared to the ‘unrealistic Gong Joon Soo’, he replied with “about 30%?” He answered, “ It’s quick to find the differences. Firstly, I absolutely don’t have ‘women phobia’. The similarities are that I am directly engaged in what I’m doing. For me as well, when the acting requires me to be overly excited, then I will really be overly excited. In the scenes where I have to run, I will really be into it.  It’s a type of ‘ignorant acting’ style (when he means ignorant (무식), I think he means in a ‘pure’, ‘immersed’ kind of way) (*)Also, when I think of what work I have to do, I am similar in that I will think of how I can finish it.

Through acting Gong Joon Soo and seeing how he was extremely fond of his family,  has also changed Im Joo Hwan’s attitude towards his own family. “In the past if a drama ended I would go on vacation or go out to have a drink. Last week I went to my parent’s house just as how a normal son would have. I also had a meal with my sibling.”

“Because of Gong Joon Soo I realized I had missed many of the basic things (in life). I have a sister that is one year apart from me. Before, I didn’t act like a brother should have. For over 30 years, I have never given a birthday present to her once, (but) this year for her birthday I gave her a pair of boots. She was also taken back. For myself I had a thought that in our daily lives our families can become tired and weary and we neglect to cherish them, but through ‘Ugly Alert’ I have realized that it shouldn’t be like that.”

———-

Wow, that was a long interview ^^! First of all, I was surprised to hear people were AGAINST him for taking on this role! He never divulged ‘who’ it was (of course) he just said ‘others’ but wow…how could you guys…. xD 

Also, after reading this interview, I’m truly grateful to Shin PD because it seems like he supported Im Joo Hwan all the way! *TT_TT* PD NIM!!!!! THANK YOU!!!

Again, Im Joo Hwan mentions his ‘ignorant’ style of acting and I’m getting the feeling that he means he is the type to be fully immersed in whatever he does. AH, just makes me admire him even more ♥ ~ 

Guest ummi74

[iNTERVIEW] IM JOO HWAN : JO IN SUNG, SONG JOONG KI , LEE KWANG SOO ARE CLOSE FAMILY PART II

I call this Part II because Newsen published one earlier and than this one later so I assumed that they were done on the same day…

Im Joo Hwan talks about Jo In Sung and his other personal connections.

After getting discharged from the army, Im Joo Hwan came back with SBS’s ‘Ugly Alert’ and it was known that at that time he got advice from his close brother Jo In Sung. In Newsen’s interview, he discloses what advice Jo In Sung gave. (*) “It was not ‘advice’ but rather words that cleared away my worries.”

(*) “In Sung hyung knew about my chance to star in the daily drama ‘Ugly Alert’ and came to give me a suggestion. He asked what I was troubled about.  He wanted to let me know, saying ‘after coming out from the army, I think this will be a good project for you.’”

"He said it is a good way to raise your recognition. ‘I don’t know how ambitious you want to be but,(*)  it will give you good experience. You fit the style of a daily drama, and since it can be watched every day, you can build up to give a new feeling, right?’ He said he would be anticipating that.”

He reveals his thoughts of his desire to act after seeing Jo In Sung. “As an actor, Korea’s top star, sunbae and as a close brother, I was filled with gratitude (for his words). While I was still in the army I saw (the drama) ☆‘The Winter, the Wind Blows.’ When I saw In Sung hyung’s appearance, I felt happy. Seeing his acting ignited something inside me. I thought, I also wanted to do that.”

It is known that Im Joo Hwan, Jo In Sung, Song Joong Ki and Lee Gwang Soo cheer on each other by visiting the filming sets and also see each other off when one enlists in the army. Im Joo Hwan discloses how (each of) the star’s relationships are like. “ All four of us get along well. When I enlisted, Joong Ki also came. Joong Ki and Gwang Soo both become close on a variety (show). In Sung hyung, Joong Ki and me became like a family after the movie ‘Frozen Flower.’”

To Im Joo Hwan, it is a happy thing to be ‘promoting’ his close buddies. “Joong Ki participated in “A Deep Rooted Tree’ and ‘Nice Guy’ and I felt quite emotional when I watched it, I also called Writer Lee Kyung Hee (the writer of ‘Nice Guy’) up.  I said to her that I’m really grateful and feel full of pride. Joong Ki was originally really great, but as a ‘brother’ seeing Joong Ki’s cool image and seeing his drama receive so much love, that’s why I felt so proud. I explained because of our close friendship, I as a brother, wanted to express my gratitude.”

————

(☆ The Winter the Wind Blows aired on February 13 and he got discharged on Feb. 16th…)

Again, another article displaying the foursome’s good friendship ^^! Looks like Joo Hwan sshi really takes care and feels pride in his ‘little brother’ Song Joong Ki, hehe ^∇^ ~

Guest ummi74

IM JOO HWAN FANMEET FT. KANG SORA PART I

So, I guess Sora was the 'special guest' and she came in with the cake and all and Joo Hwan seemed surprised as well~ 
Joo Hwan asks her why she's here and she jokes and says she was at Loteria eating a hamburger...and then something about her favourite "Smoothie King" isn't there anymore. LOL. 
So anyway, they sit down and the MC asks her how she's been and she jokes saying that after she finished her schedule (?) she finally had free time and came here~ 
She then says she was joking and didn't have anything in particular to do, and because she learnt so much from this 'good' sunbae, she insisted to come~ *AWWWWW* 
The MC (who is Im Joo Hwan's fancafe moderator apparently) starts the Q&A, but before she does she praises Kang Sora saying that she's really pretty and the MC hasn't seen much 'big' stars before~ hehe 
---- 
Start of the Q&A 
Q: Any scenes that made your heart flutter/ excited? 
SR: I think everyone is thinking of the same points, right? There were a lot..Especially when I saw your (Joo Hwan) ‘masculine’ image, I thought it was quite good~ I never expected it~ (Joo Hwan laughs at the side…) 
Q: Who had the most NG scenes? 
JH: Probably me…NGs for messing up my lines. 
SR: I also had a lot as well.... When I knew my acting was unsatisfactory, I would deliberately NG and then be given another shot at it. 
Everyone: OH~~~~ 
Q: When Joo Hwan made an NG, what reaction/habit would he have? 
SR: When Joo Hwan oppa made an NG, if it wasn’t satisfactory (or to his liking) he would shout. 
the mc asked him to kindly demonstrate and he does…(shout) haha 
JH: When I can’t grasp my part, I felt suffocating so to relax I would take a smoke…and I’d also shout a couple of times 
Q: Then, does Sora have a habit of making NGs? 
JH: She almost doesn’t have any NGs. Really, in this drama, the actresses barely had an NGs. The guys though like me and Tae Joon (Hyun Suk) had quite a lot... 
---- 
Not too sure on this last part, but the fan says the MC said to forgive him because he’s a “훈남” (handsome and kind man) and then something about Sora agreeing then joking saying he was wasting the film …(by making so much NGs) 
Totally confused on the last part, but that’s what I got…

Guest ummi74

IM JOO HWAN FANMEET FT. KANG SORA PART II

Q: When filming on scene, were there any interesting episodes? 
SR: Interesting?....I think it was tiring... 
JH: I’m not sure about ‘interesting’ things that happened, but we were always busy trying to film the next scene. 
SR: The ‘married couple life’ scenes and similar scenarios took 36 hours to film on set. The previous day would take 8 hours, then the next day in the daytime it would take an hour and then we’d finish. 
JH: The hotel room, the ‘married-couple’ room (scenes) from start to finish all required us two. There was no time to rest, we had to keep on going. 
Then Sora says something like “first time in 20 years of MBC’s history?” not sure what she means but everyone laughs...then the MC says the director of SBS might be here(?) and then Sora says she hasn’t done an MBC drama before. 
(This part was quite unclear…) 
Then the MC praises Sora again and Joo Hwan adds “yeah, she’s really easy-going” Then Sora says 98% of her fans are girls. 
JH: yeah, Sunny (I think he means most are her fans after watching Sunny?) 
The MC goes, right of course~ and then says she was quite cool in that movie. She asks her to show her a kick (? ) but then Sora says something about it being inconvenient (something like she slipped on her way here ? *confused*) and then says she’ll promise to show it next fan-meeting…

Guest ummi74

IM JOO HWAN FANMEET FT. KANG SORA PART III

Q: Out of all the locations the drama was shot at, where is the most memorable? 
SR: Dongdaemun 
JH: The rooftop? Besides the rooftop, also inside (dongdaemun) 
Q: Why that place? 
JH: *sighs, thinks for a while* 
SR: (laughs) feels like I have the same feeling... 
JH: The director became some sort of surveyor (person good at measuring stuff) . If it wasn’t a good angle, he wouldn’t take it. There were a lot of scenes (like that). A lot of cuts as well. There were many customers coming in and out and there was a lot of movement. But, the set was narrow and limited. 
SR: I liked shopping but, I didn’t go to (shop) at GwangHee Shopping Mall (at dongdaemun) ...the parking spaces are pretty narrow… 
(MC agrees as well that it’s small, everyone is talking about GwangHee shopping mall…) 
JH: (seems to be replying to the GwangHee shopping mall topic and how small it is) somehow, it was more accommodating towards the end (of filming)... 
(I’m guessing he means that they didn’t have to shoot in the narrow space anymore that’s why…) 
don't know what they're saying at the end... 
(I like how Sora’s so random at times...haha~ : ) Sora knows how to create atmosphere~~~ )

Guest ummi74

[ELLE DEC’13 INTERVIEW] “TO LOOK IN THE EYE AND COMMUNICATE SINCERELY WITH THE HEART”—IM JOO HWAN

-superheros-

The superheros of this era are those who, while do their best at what they’re given,  are also people who silently walk on their own path. In that sense, aren’t our fathers  truly the greatest superheroes then?

-my father-

I have sincerely looked back and thought back many times of my father. For his family, he did all kinds of work and now that it’s time for him to retire, when I look at him I feel thankful and treasure him.  It has made me think of how valuable family is .

-most unforgettable present-

I went to a fan meeting in Japan for the drama “Snow Queen”. I met with a female fan who actually had myasthenia, the sickness Sung Yuri had in the drama.  (She told me) that in the drama I gave her a lot of strength. Thankfully her health had improved and when I talked with her and heard that, I felt even more grateful.

-busy filming schedule-

In between my busy filming schedule, the way I gain my energy is by talking about everyday topics with the staff. Behind the scenes, they work-hard and so although I receive the spotlight, I always hold a thankful heart towards the staff.

-to be happy like this-

Nowadays, the phone is always in one’s hand.  Although the smartphone is many people’s form of communication, to actually meet face to face and look into one’s eyes to talk, that sort of thing has become less common.

Besides for work, I rarely use my phone to talk. These days if you don’t know the directions, you can (easily) find it with a smartphone. I guess that’s why we’re missing out on the ‘basic happiness’ (of life). Although this is just an ‘analog’(IOW: ’analogy’) I think if we start caring and exchange small-talk with one another, it’s a starting point in which we can share our happiness.

-anyone can help-

If I don’t have anything big to do (*as in having to film) at the end of the year when (I see) the Salvation Army kettles, whatever I have in my wallet, I’ll definitely put it all in.

mag scan @ IJH DCGALL

Archived