[Drama 2012] The Moon that Embraces the Sun 해를 품은 달

Guest yeohweping

"The Sun and The Moon" Yeo Jin-goo and Kim Yoo-jeong's romance brings the ratings over 20%

photo217350.jpg

"The Sun and the Moon" broke through 20% after only three episodes.

According to AGB Nielsen Media Research on January 12th, MBC drama "The Sun and the Moon"recorded a viewing percentage of 23.2%.

This is 3.3% more than the previous 19.9%.

Prince Lee Hwon (Yeo Jin-goo) confessed his true identity to Yeon-woo (Kim Yoo-jeong).

Bo-kyeong (Kim So-hyeon) felt jealousy towards Princess Min-hwa (Ji Jin-hee), who only cared for Yeon-woo, and became more and more vicious.

SBS's "Take Care of Us, Captain" and KBS 2's "Wild Romance" rated 9.4% and 6.4% each.

Source : news.nate.com/view/20... ( Korean )

Guest monkeyober1

Leslie, is that YM about to kiss YW? the second picture is definitely YM, but I'm not sure if it's him in the first picture.

Guest ginny_potter

Ahhh jazzer, my heart just broke because of that spoiler you posted. But I suppose it was a fitting closure to the experiences of all the characters from the book. I hope a certain part (and you know what that is, leslie_lei and rainyrainy :wub: ) still makes it to the TV adaptation.

I'm just so happy this drama is doing so well in terms of ratings.

Would you really like to know?

Then...

It depends on what you call a happy ending. For the OTP, yes. Hwon finds out about the conspiracy to kill Yeonwoo, and that his own sister was involved (she did it for selfish reasons; her father refuses to let her marry Yeom (for political reasons - he wants Yeom to gain power and stand by Hwon's side and not be demoted to simply the princess's husband) and she was promised by the Queen Dowager that she would be able to marry Yeom, and she did). While Yeom forgives her - by this time, he loves her - Hwon does not. So Hwon demotes her to slave status (!) and sends her away as punishment. He later forgives her and allows her to return home to Yeom because they have a (precocious) child together.

Hwon takes Yeonwoo/Wol as his queen, and this is possible because Bokyeong commits suicide. Now, in the novel, she is not the evil witch that the drama is making her out to be. She's actually more a casualty in the war caused by her great aunt (Royal Queen Dowager by then) and her father (Lord Yun). When she discovers her father's plot to overthrow Hwon, she commits suicide to atone.

As for Seol... unfortunately (and this is the part of the novel where I cried buckets), she does not love Woon. She loves Yeom through and through. And when there is an assassination attempt on Yeom's life, she stands between him and the assassins and fights until her death. She saves his life. And before she fights, she asks Princess Minhwa (this is before Minhwa is sent off by her brother) and her lady-in-waiting to clean up her body in case she dies so that Yeom will not see her. So Yeom doesn't find out until much, much later that she died to save his life.

Thank you jazzer!

Do you know why Yang Mung died? Also, I don't think I can forgive Princess MinHwa. She can't just sacrifice an innocent person to gain a man. And in this case, said person is the man's beloved sister! How is that love when she knows that the siblings are so close, that Yeom will be hurt if his sister is hurt, and yet still carries out such evil act? She doesn't love Yeom, she loves herself more I'd say!

I just love the kid actors in this drama! I almost feel like I can watch a whole drama with them in it.

The adult cast is amazing, so I'm looking forward to it, but I'm gonna really miss them after episode 6. blush.gif

Thank you jazzer!

Do you know why Yang Mung died? Also, I don't think I can forgive Princess MinHwa. She can't just sacrifice an innocent person to gain a man. And in this case, said person is the man's beloved sister! How is that love when she knows that the siblings are so close, that Yeom will be hurt if his sister is hurt, and yet still carries out such evil act? She doesn't love Yeom, she loves herself more I'd say!

My memory is a little fuzzy, but from what I remember, someone attacks him with a sword or something, and he doesn't parry the attack. He just lets the guy stab him. Something to that effect. And Hwon is there to watch the whole thing. There's a "NOOOOO" moment, but I think everyone was too far to do anything.

As for Minhwa, I think the novel softens the blow a little by making her responsible a little indirectly (something like, she carries the talisman but doesn't plant it herself, or something to that effect). I don't remember if she knew she would be killing Yeonwoo, but the reason a lot of readers hated her is because she doesn't have any conflicted, guilty moments until Hwon finds out. Then she throws herself at his feet, saying, "I'm pregnant!" I hated her then, too. Hopefully, it will be better done in the drama.

Edit:: I just realized you asked why he died and not how. Well, basically, Hwon realizes that there's a conspiracy going on while he's king - Lord Yun and a few others are planning to overthrow him and replace him with YM. At this point, the Royal Queen Dowager has already left the palace in order to escape punishment in the future for her crime against Yeonwoo. So Hwon sends a secret letter to YM, ordering him to provide evidence of who is part of the conspiracy. So YM puts on an act, pretending that he intends to overthrow Hwon, and he gets everyone to sign a book of allegiance. Then on the day that they're storming the castle, he basically rides ahead of the traitors and hands the book to Hwon. Then he fights on Hwon's side. I think he dies near the end of the fight.

So as to why he died, perhaps he felt that he had nothing to live for? I am not sure. I always thought of his death as suicide.

Thank you jazzer!

I'm not finding MW very adorable either. More like spoiled and thoughtless at this point. If the drama plays out her role anything like it is in the book, then I doubt I'll be growing fond of her anytime soon.

I think the OST is beginning to grow on me. There were a couple of times in ep 3 when it gave off a definite SKKS vibe. (I think someone else also mentioned this in an earlier post).

Guest pinkbarron

*quoted image*

Kim Soo Hyun Cast for New Drama "The Moon Embracing the Sun"

Kim Soo Hyun has been cast for the new MBC drama, "The Moon Embracing Sun."

On November 11, it was announced that Kim Soo Hyun will play Lee Hwon, the male lead for "The Moon Embracing Sun," which is a historical fantasy drama. Kim Soo Hyun was apparently the number one pick ever since the drama's production team got together and after much contemplation, Kim Soo Hyun has accepted the offer.

"The Moon Embracing Sun" takes place in the Choseon era and is a romance between Lee Hwon, who is a king, and Wol, who is a female shaman. This drama is based on the novel written by Jung Eun Kwol, who also wrote "Sungkyunkwan Scandal."

Han Ga In has been cast as the female shaman, Wol. The forthcoming onscreen chemistry between Kim Soo Hyun and Han Ga In is already gathering much interest.

Earlier this year, Kim Soo Hyun successfully portrayed the role of Song Sam Dong in "Dream High" and received a lot of love due to his excellent acting skills. There are high expectations for Kim Soo Hyun because he will have to transform into a completely new character for "The Moon Embracing Sun."

Along with Kim Soo Hyun and Han Ga In, other notable stars have been cast for this drama, including Kim Yoo Jung, Yeo Jin Gu, Ji Jin Hee, Lee Min Ho, Seo Ji Hee as well as skilled child actors and actresses. "The Moon Embracing Sun" will succeed "Me Too, Flower" and will air in January of next year. 

source : soompi

Guest ginny_potter

I think they'll tweak some bits with this adaptation, sort of meeting halfway between fan-service and staying true to the author's view on the how the story should play out.

Also, is it just me or does Yeo Jin-goo remind you of a younger Kwon Sang-woo? :rolleyes:

I think they'll tweak some bits with this adaptation, sort of meeting halfway between fan-service and staying true to the author's view on the how the story should play out.

Also, is it just me or does Yeo Jin-goo remind you of a younger Kwon Sang-woo? :rolleyes:

What is amazing way to look forward to is how will the screen writer do the tweaking from the novel version. That is why the interest , i think, from the viewers come from I am a sucker of book adaptations and how they will fair from the original prose interest me more.

I read a comment somewhere about the drama not being based on Joseon history -which is more of a free reign story telling , an opportunity for the writer and director to serve us fans :) . So 3 episodes down , 17 to go !

Regarding the fate of Yang Myung , I don't know how to cope up , TBH , as the series progresses . The Young Yang Myung having that defiant reaction after he talked to the King already tore my heart. I commend Lee Min Ho for such great acting .(And dude, as early as know KINDLY CHANGE YOUR NAME ASAP for kdramaland sake!!! ) By the way, I think he made some mannerisms similar to that cheeky Jung Il Woo 's character from 49days and FBRS.

Thanks jazzer for sharing the spoiler .

Reposting from eNews World

Han Ga In Ready For Romantic Kiss Scene with Kim Soo Hyun

2012-01-12 14:27 l CJ E&M enewsWorld Lee, InKyung

MBC’s The Sun and The Moon has already become a veritable hit, but it′s likely to only get hotter as the adult actors take over.

The drama, which has exceeded 20 percent in viewership ratings with the only third episode, will feature a love triangle among Han Ga In, Kim Soo Hyun and Jung Il Woo starting from its sixth episode. Viewers and insiders of the industry are wondering how Han will change her image through her first traditional drama.

A rep from Han’s agency, J One Plus Entertainment, said, “I think the child actors did good job in romantic scenes, but after adult actors take over, the drama will peak with its romantic feel and excitement. Viewers might feel as if they are reading a teen romance book. I guarantee that viewers will completely sink into Han Ga In and Kim Soo Hyun’s romance.”

The rep continued, “In fact, we were so concerned that, since Han has an age difference with Kim, acting with Kim in romantic scenes could be detrimental to her image, but we are so thankful that people have been showing enthusiastic responses to the drama’s trailer or posters. Han’s been preparing for the show with a sense of strong responsibility.”

102476801u.jpg

The sixth episode will feature Yeon Woo (Han Ga In) who almost dies, and becomes a female shaman with a great speed and tension. Yeon Woo, who loses her memory, will fall back into love with crown prince Hwon.

At this point, there will reportedly be a heart-throbbing kiss scene, which might outrival the so-called ‘candy kiss’ between Lee Byung Hun and Kim Tae Hee in SBS’ IRIS.

A drama insider said, “There is a line that the crown prince says to Yeon Woo, ‘Do my lips have to wait on you?’ to allure Han to kiss him. Just reading the part in the script was thrilling. I can’t wait to see the two leads acting in the scene.”

The rep from Han’s agency said, “The original novel is really compelling but its story is more sped up and melodramatic after it turned into a script. The character Yeon Woo is different from other characters we’ve seen before and is very unique. Please show your support for Han Ga In’s challenge.”

Han has been also cast as the female lead of the movie, An Introduction to Architecture, which is set for release in April.

Photo credit: MBC

Amusing Anachronisms in Kim Soo Hyun’s “The Moon that Embraces the Sun”

by: hotshotlover30 on Jan 11, 2012

MBC’s latest drama, “The Moon that Embraces the Sun,” is off to a hot start, surpassing 20% viewership ratings by the third episode even without the main leads. While viewers were taken away with the charismatic acting by child actors and the strong plot, some keen fans spotted flaws in two scenes in yesterday’s episode.

In an overhead shot where Crown Prince Lee Hwon (Yeo Jin Goo) was playing soccer with his friends, two cameramen and a camera were captured on screen. In another, Huh Yeom (ZE:A’s Siwan) had his padded jacket over his knees. The jacket was an anachronism in the Joseon Dynasty where everyone wore hanbok.

Netizens commented, “I totally missed it, but I can’t believe others saw that,” “It’s a fusion historical drama, so I guess they had state-of-the-art technology back then,” and “I was too focused on the drama to really notice.”

Meanwhile, the drama achieved 23.2% viewership rating, a 3.3% increase from last Thursday. Lee Dong Wook’s “Wild Romance” and Gu Hye Sun’s “Please Take Care of Us Captain” recorded 6.4% and 9.4% respectively.

9c826480c043bac51579d93152cb36f3_large.jpg

credit:Soompi

Guest flowerboyramyunshop_FB

POPULARITY OVERLOAD !

tumblr_lxoaufJ3Yj1r82xs0o1_500.jpg

NEWS] This Week’s Best Sellers : The Sun and The Moon 해를 품은 달 , Thanks to the popularity of TV Drama ! The novel The Moon Embracing The Sun 해를 품은 달 by Jung Eun-Gwol ranked  from number 14 spot to number 1 as Best Selling novel for the second week of January.

According to online book stores, the weekly sales increased four times even right before the drama was aired consisting of 84 % from female buyers.

In particular , the percentage of women from age bracket of 20-30 accounted for 56 % , proving the captivated young readers because of the story .

source: Asia Today via SunNMoon Tumblr

OMG! My heart is already breaking with the ending of episode 3. This love triangle will really kill me. The three-way longing glances between the two princes and YW is really killing me. I hope Woon will not join this love triangle and make it a love square or else my fragile heart cannot take it anymore. I really want all these guys to have a happy ending, they really deserve it. Maybe we can clone YW. :)

Ahhh jazzer, my heart just broke because of that spoiler you posted. But I suppose it was a fitting closure to the experiences of all the characters from the book. I hope a certain part (and you know what that is, leslie_lei and rainyrainy  :wub: ) still makes it to the TV adaptation.

I'm just so happy this drama is doing so well in terms of ratings.

hahaha i was happy too.idk i feel Minhwa's being bratty is justifiable but she's bratty in a not so annoying way. I also love the young Minhwa and Yeom so much so im not thinking yet of any negative things against their love line and what MW did to YW's demise. For me im betting that she was made to believe something else and didnt really know that it was a plot to kill Yeon Woo, also its not a surprise what one can do because of Love or maybe obsession at this point. XD

"The Moon that Embraces the Sun" Episode 4 Preview

im still watching ep 3 under the 47min mark.lol but i have to share this because it's w/ translation of their lines.