@farstrep - I don't remember them going very much into that intervening period; even with his past as the Hitokiri Battousai and with Tomoe, we learnt that through flashbacks, OVAs and so on. What we do know is that Kenshin deliberately kept away from forming any major attachments to people because he knew that they would get hurt if they spent too much time with him. It is only after he met Kaoru and began to live with her (due to her insistence) that he learns to gradually open himself to the possibility of forming lasting relationships again.

• Replies 921
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest farstrep

@dr25: Come join in our conversation!! :-h

iPX4PP2SQ6Dy.gif

I am looking at the last second of this gif. Isn't it difficult to fight an opponent with the sword held like that?

Guest farstrep

EDIT:
@myphim and @Hanjae: Bye! Enjoy yourself and Happy Lunar New Year! :-h

REEDIT:
@dr25: Thanks for your post! Love it! :x :x Thanks for pointing out his walk. I didn't notice that.

I doubt anyone is still here to read this but just finished watching the movie. This is no analysis nor an insight just what I felt like writing..

Key sentences "This scar belongs to a young samurai, the other scar belongs to the wife of a man I killed" Kenshin.
The movie may be taking its own turns here but judging by how true it is to the anime even in the colors Kenshin wore, I venture to say there is more into it.
Those who watched the anime/read the manga know that he got the other scar from his wife Tomoe. He's implying the death of the Batusai whom he metaphorically killed after Tomoe's death by his own hands. (I like what @farstrep said about the sword being buried along with the other dead bodies at that last battle) The young samurai whom he killed is actually Tomu's fiance that's why he didn't want to die; she's the person awaiting for him. (In the movie, they didn't show her face but Kenshin was watching her from afar crying over that young man's body).

About "killing to create a better life "If you open the tv now, listened to a random newsletter, you'll see it's how killing has been justified since Kenshin's time to ours. I think we don't realize it but one way or the other, a lot of what we do goes under this concept"No pain no gain". Hopefully one day this will change; no one should experience any pain nor pass it to others in order for some happiness/achievements to spring.

The live action Kenshin:
Actor-san: I said before if the actor portrays the anime kenshin (the original Kenshin) badly, I'll bash him regardless of his fine looks. Now that he didn't, he deserves a good round of praise. At start I thought it's funny but the way he walked in this scene shows how sick he is from killing people. It's no killer's walk, it's an office worker's who is doing the same thing over and over and over convincing himself that he's contributing to the well-being of his society by that. That's how easy and boring killing was for him.   

The settings: As some noted here, it's both beautiful, and meaningful. I personally never watched a Japanese historical movie. Thus, my fascination by the 19th century Japan through out the whole movie was a given.

Nothing more to say: Thank you Faithlings! thank you @farstrep for making me watch a movie I've put on shelves for a quite long time. 

P.S. :This was written while listening to the movie's ending song " Just give me a reason to keep my heart beating" Aren't we all?

sia3 said: @farstrep
It feeds off the fear of people and gives the ken ki the power for him to use it against the others.
That's why he told Kenshin at the end that either he kills him to destroy his ken ki or Kaoru has to break it herself.

@dr25: have you saved all the gifs?! I had to leave earlier for my reunion, now I'm going back to continue saving them all! So. Epic :))
@Hanjae: you seem to be a manga reader too heh?! ;;) Have you checked out Kaze Hikaru? It's so funny seeing a totally contrast depiction of Saito Hajime :)
Again, thanks @farstrep for organizing this movie night! And double thank you for choosing RS :))Thanks @myphim for all the awesome gifs :xThanks @Hanjae @dr25 @azzurri @sia3 @farstrep @myphim for the interesting and very engaging discussion of my favorite swordsman :))
NY has started out pretty perfectly! Goodnight all! :-h 

dr25 said:
Don't you find it funny how the bad guys in Asian dramas always give the hero tips on how to defeat them  =)) =))

Sorry to disappoint you, though @sia3 did that very good  :)), but the masked guy in the anime looks like this =)) =))

He never had the library fight with Kenshin. The one who had it is Aaoshi. His boss & This handsome guy below. *_*

Here is your Megumi

dr25 said: @myphim I don't recall but he probably didn't / or he did and was super ugly cuz I NEVER forget handsome anime men. Of course beauty is relative and love is blind =)) Feel free to love him =))

farstrep said: @everyone: I might be a tad late with my response to your tagged comments. Sorry.

There's just something about male leads that doesn't sit well with the jailhouse, no matter how drabby or emancipated they look. Love the starking contrast between the dreary cold surroundings and the Zen expression on Kenshin's face. Nothing can touch him at all, not even the jailhouse with its nasty convicts and mean-looking policemen.

jailhouse18_zps752ea02d.jpg

manjailho19_zpsa0110fbb.jpg

Kenshin encountering Saito Hajime, now Fujita Goro, after ten years. Not the best way to meet an old nemesis.

fujitagoro_zpsf8b8755b.jpg

Even the Admiral is in awe of his talents and wants to recruit him but Kenshin doesn't want anything to do with it. Smart boy. Politicians who advocate killing for the sake of "Restoration"... this sounds wrong. So wrong.

kenshinmeetsadmiral42_zpsed654a2e.jpeg

The manner with which Goro constantly scoffs, taunts and challenges Kenshin... he appears more interested in proving his thinking (ie. Kenshin will kill to protect people because that's the only way he knows to protect them) right and not so interested in whether Kenshin can actually protect someone without killing anyone in the process.

The hint of surprise in Goro's eyes is apparent when a wounded Kenshin reiterates his stand that he does not kill anymore. He realizes how serious Kenshin is adhering to his vow and his surprise turns to anger because he does not believe it. He cannot believe it because he does not understand it. For someone who has killed as many people as he has to get the country to where it is today, Goro cannot comprehend how Kenshin can even think of protecting anyone without drawing his sword. His face hardens and for a moment, I thought he wants to inflict more pain on Kenshin to call him out on his foolishness and draw out the "Hitokiri Battousai" in him. The smirk Goro has on his face before he walks away from the fight seems to speak of his confidence and certainty that Kenshin would come round to his thinking soon and realize that his notion is idealistic and impractical. Even if he doesn't, his enemies will make him.

How did they manage to get the raindrops line the top of the sword so beautifully? I love how firmly Kenshin holds steadfast to his vow not to kill even when he is constantly forced to reverse his blade.

raindropsonsword_zpsc7884855.jpg

Goro's quite similar to Kenshin, never bowing down to others and always sticking firmly to his principles. Both fight for justice. Goro is quick to clear any notion that the murders have been committed by the legendary "Hitokiri Battousai" despite his signature mark on the murdered victims. However, that's where their similarities end. While Kenshin is highly adaptable to different situations (he's come a long way, enduring the pain and hurt of his actions along the journey) and advocates non-violent (to the extent of preaching) methods in obtaining peace, Goro seems more rigid in his thinking and never dismisses the idea of resorting to violence when the occasion calls for it in order to obtain peace.

It's quite interesting to note that Kenshin never once advocates for the wrongdoers to get away scot-free, just that they should be dealt with using peaceful means.

Kenshin and Goro's ways of securing peace parallel that of the ending of WW1. Wilson advocated a peace treaty that went easy on Germany (Kenshin) but the 4 nations wanted Germany crippled beyond restoration and imposed a harsh penalty on her so that she could never rise to power again (Goro). And look how that turned out? Of course, I am oversimplifying the issue here but the basic point is this: violence (and unforgiveness) begets more violence (and more unforgiveness?). When, then, will this end?

Goro brings to mind Jack Nicholson's character in "A Few Good Men" and his famous delivery.

"You can't handle the truth! Son, we live in a world that has walls. And those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Santiago and you curse the Marines. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that Santiago's death, while tragic, probably saved lives. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives...You don't want the truth. Because deep down, in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall. You need me on that wall.

We use words like honor, code, loyalty...we use these words as the backbone to a life spent defending something. You use 'em as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it! I'd rather you just said thank you and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you're entitled to!"

Sorry, I can't resist. That was and still is, for me, the most powerful scene I have ever seen in a movie.

Guest farstrep

awesomeduck said: @farstrep - so sorry I missed movie date with the faithlings :(( Was so busy with CNY and now before bed time I'm able to log in. I was really looking forward to watching it live with you guys.Next time *HUGS* >:D<

Archived