eyeliner smudging problem!! (pic inside)

Guest Come.again

Guest nameless

My friend has this problem, but hers is so bad to the point where even waterproof eyeliners smudge D:

But there is only one eyeliner that worked for her, i think it was the GOSH waterproof liquid artliner that thing does. NOT. come off though haha but that is the only reason why it doesn't smudge on her. Hopefully it could help you too.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest darkmist

From the reviews I've seen before, the Maybelline gel liner does seem to sumdge a lot especially if you have oilier lids or there's more rubbing due to the shape of your eyelid folds. I personally use the Stila waterproof liquid liner and it's great! It's one of the cheaper brand name products ($18-20 I think?) and though it doesn't smudge or move at all during the day, it's really easy to remove with makeup remover or lotion. I find the brush a bit stiff for my tastes (I like caligraphy brush tips) but for the price, dark black colour, staying power, and easy access, I still think it's an overall great product

Guest carmenxox86

That's what use to happen to me and then I tried to buy waterproof eyeliner...that worked BUT when it does come off...it flakes off...blech.

I switched and now use Urban Decay Primer Potion and then line it with the loreal liquid liner (any liquid liner should stay better than gel or pencil) and that seems to stay put, however my hands shake when using liquid liner so I swapped to something else that I had bought. Recently I have been using the Make Up Forever Aqua Eyes and that seems to work too. No smudging at all and super easy to remove.

Liners that I have tried that are okay...but smudged on me or is too much hassle to put on:

Maybelline gel liner

Revlon liquid liner

Loreal Liquid liner

Urban Decay 24/7 glide on pencil

bobbi brown gel liner

MAC fluidline

-Carm

Guest r-obotix

My eye shape is very similar to your's, but I have a thicker epicanthal fold. Based on my experience, liquid eyeliners rub off faster than pencil and gel. I definitely recommend using an eyeshadow that is the same color as your eyeliner and apply it onto your eyelids where you're going to draw your eye line. When using drugstore brand, I adore Neutrogena's Nourishing Eyeliner. I've only used this once, but MAC'S cream eyeliners are really great if you're willing to invest in a good eyeliner.

Guest itismooreashley

Hiya, does any one have any recommendations about the best practice to get the "cat eye" appearance using eyeliner?

Hi, re tips on the best way to put-on eyeliner, MAC cosmetics has some neat free pdf files, download them from this webpage http://www.thepdfportal.com/tiffany_creatingthecateye_12.pdf Thanks

Guest Come.again

Hey wanted to pop in and say that I've recently been using maybelline liquid liner. It's the waterproof one with the blue top. I have to make sure that i don't blink or anything before it dries and I try to set it with some powder shadow and I also use an eyeshadow primer so that really helps. I've actually got it to last for a super long time maybe 6+ hours.

I also used Stila smudge pot for a while if you guys like gel liner and that worked wonderfully too.

Hey wanted to pop in and say that I've recently been using maybelline liquid liner. It's the waterproof one with the blue top. I have to make sure that i don't blink or anything before it dries and I try to set it with some powder shadow and I also use an eyeshadow primer so that really helps. I've actually got it to last for a super long time maybe 6+ hours.

I also used Stila smudge pot for a while if you guys like gel liner and that worked wonderfully too.

By maybelline I meant loreal lol

Guest helloitsme93

It is most likely the eyeliner and with your type of eyes, you definitely need a eye primer. I am monolidded and honestly, after trying so many different types of eyeliner, I am not going back to drugstore. Bobbi brown gel eyeliner is good but still smudges on me. The only eyeliner I've found to barely smudge is mac technakohl liner. I would suggest to look at eyeliner ratings and try a better one and use primer.

Guest -forever-

same thing used to happen to me on the outer corners. I suggest wearing a liquid liner like the k-palette 24 hour liner, the tip is extremely thin so it acts somewhat like a pencil and it's liquid so it doesn't smear!

I used to use Milani's Liquify pencil eyeliner and although the color is great and all, it smear's like crazy..this actually happens with most pencil eyeliners on asian eyes and I never really found a way to prevent it. try using a liquid liner, it's much better ;)

Guest ch0psticks

Man I feel your pain, I always thought eyeliner would smudge on my monolids no matter what kind or brand or price I tried.. until my friend introduced me to Milani infinite liquid eyeliner! It never ever smudges or fades on me, ever. I can shower in it and it will still be 100% intact. It's cheap, about 5 to 7 dollars, and can be found in most drugstores. The only downside is that the brush isn't the best and it took me a while to get used to it, but most of the time I use a different brush to line my eyes.

>> http://www.milanicosmetics.com/p-67-infinite-liquid-eye-liner.aspx

Guest bonsaitea

1) prime top and bottom lid with primer

2) set with powder

3) line eyes

4) VERY IMPORTANT: apply MASCARA. The mascara prevents the eyeliner from sliding down your lashes to smudge on the bottom lid.

the rest is trial and error with which products work best for you.

Waterproof doesn't really do much because the oil is smudging the liner, not water.

My friend has this problem, but hers is so bad to the point where even waterproof eyeliners smudge D:

But there is only one eyeliner that worked for her, i think it was the GOSH waterproof liquid artliner that thing does. NOT. come off though haha but that is the only reason why it doesn't smudge on her. Hopefully it could help you too.

My friend also said that this did it for her and nothing else she had ever tried worked.

Personally I find that Bobbi Brown long wearing gel liner AND mac blacktrack both smudge on me...I find that using Japanese liquid liners helps immensely. My Majomajo one works great, and my HERA (korean) one also never smudges.

Guest Sanjou

I use the same Maybelline gel studio liner and had the same problem before.

When I started using Too Faced shadow insurance primer, and made sure the liner dried and then reapplied it, it didn't smudge nearly as much!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Hounsom

I recommend mac chromaline. it's a pro product so you have to go to a pro store or have a membership online OR you can call the 1-800 number. anyone can get it if they order it calling the number. it's larger than their fluidline one and works waay better

Guest tinytimpets

I recommend Dolly Wink Liquid Pen Eyeliner or K-Palettes 24 Hour Tattoo (also a liquid pen eyeliner)~ Both are japanese brands and they are super waterproof! A bit on the expensive side but I think its a good investment (:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest MailovesBubbleTea

Try Dior Eyeliner or Clinique or Clinique Brush-On Cream Liner.

I wear contacts and have problems with smudging all the time. Since I use Clinique I dont have it anymore. Also tried Dior and this is a really good but pricey one. You can sleep and it doesnt smudge at all:)

Guest kfashionplus

You could try setting your primer first before putting on your liner. Try waiting a few minutes before lining your lids. If it still doesn't work. I think its more of a problem of your eye liner. I'm currently using Etude House's Proof 10 eyeliner and it works well with my watery eyes.

I got Kat Von D's Tattoo Liner because of the 4.3/5 rating on MakeUpAlley, but I didn't like it. I'm not sure if it was the particular one I got, but it was too watery and didn't live up to its potential.

Dolly Wink Liquid Eyeliner also has the same rating, but it works great for me! The Kat Von D didn't give me a vivid enough black unlike Dolly Wink.

567_P_1314001238908.jpg

Also, Bobbi Brown Gel Eyeliner is awesome. Never tried Mac Blacktrack. With gel eyeliner, you have to be careful not to use too much gel more than you need for a line because that's the biggest contributor. Use as little product as possible to achieve your intended effect. Also, clean your eyeliner brush often to get the previous gunk off because that adds to eyeliner smudging.

I use Urban Decay All Nighter Long-Lasting Makeup Setting Spray afterwards and I find it helps.

110310-Urban-Decay-400.jpg

I have the same problem. I usually just use powder now but, it'd be nice to get a gel liner that doesn't move around.

Ooo powder for eyeliner? Like, add water to it then apply? I'm interested in this method.

Guest bbfanbells

I suggest trying the Bobbi Brown Gel Liner, OMG that does not smudge on me at all, even after I shower, it'll still be on as long as I don't rub on it a lot.  I agree with one of the post above that it is a hassle to put it on since it's not a pencil.  For me, I use a different eyeliner on my top lid and my bottom lid because the bottom lid kept smearing very easily.  BTW definitely use primer!!

Top Lid: Kat Von D, Taratino

Bottom Lid: Smashbox (it's not as dark though)

Guest iPhets

I have eyes like you, hidden double eyelids. The primer before eyeliner thing works for me.. and I don't even set it with eyeshadow. (I find that with eyeshadow it actually gets worse, nooo idea why)

I would recommend either MAC blacktrack if you like a really black type of black, or Bobbi brown if you want a more natural colour. Personally, I use MAC and its fantastic, its definitely a good investment because I've had mine for the longest time and I'm not even 1/3 through my little pot. I haven't used Bobbi Brown before but theres more than enough good reviews for that too :)

Guest sushixlovesu

I used to have this problem too. You should definitely get Urban Decay's Eyeshadow Primer Potion. It prevents smudging really well. In fact, there was one time I accidentally rubbed my eyes thinking that I didnt have any makeup on.. Nothing really came off LOL. So it doesn't smudge XD

Archived