50 things you can learn from a Korean drama.

Guest heygingersnap

Guest luvelyasian

I was expecting this to be one of those lists you see all the time but its soo unique and so hilariously true

Thanks for the pointed-out humour of it all :D

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Feelings

this was so funny!!! XDDD

i laughed so hard... i totally agree on never wearing the same clothes even if you're poor,

and the thing where you can speak perfect english but people outside the television can't understand a word that you're saying... LOL.

Guest lady_jtl

Hahahaha... I TOTALLY agree with every LAST one of them! Hahahahaha! You are just so funny! Thanks for making me laugh/giggle 50 times!!! <3

Guest cookiemonster1430262540

haha that's all so true!

one thing i've also noticed on korean dramas are their wardrobes especially on the male characters they usually wear black coat and they work on large companies and one more thing even their drivers or the gangsters they look good also on their coats

:D:D:D

• 2 weeks later...

Geez, tt was reali funni......i was wondering abt the wearin diff clothes no matter how poor u r....onli in Full Hse did SHG wear this particualr dress 2x(the one Bi bought for her)...in all the other dramas, poor pple seem to have clothes in abundance..........

N also, it's weird seeing the female's hair being all styled up even tho she's juz at home onli/juz goin to a nearby market??? it's so fake.....how many of us do tt in real life? i noe ther r vain peeps ard bt still.........................................................

Guest 1lyfe2live

Ok, this is too funny, I already posted 10 before, more have popped in my head since watching Korean Drama..Here's the 2nd part to my first list before, please forgive me if they've already been posted by someone else...

1. Aside from "I'm sorry" being Koreans favorite word, their 2nd favorite words to say "Aza Aza Fighting"

2. Everyone sleeps with the lights on

3. In a love triangle, the hero/heroine is always asked by a third party (usually the other part of the triangle who is in love with the hero/heroine) if they love someone...the hero/heroine immediately looks into the eyes of the person they love for 5 minutes and doesnt say a word. The person asking amazingly NEVER has a glue who the hero/heroine is in love with

4. Almost everyone gets slapped at one point in the movie

5. If you're going to take a picture, you have to wave the "peace" sign or draw a heart out of your arms or flash a heart out of your hands

6. Couples are brought together by either a marriage, friendship or siblings contract

7. After a night of drinking and vomiting, it only takes an hour to sober or at least their sober by the time they reach home

Guest fivemagic

Ok, this is too funny, I already posted 10 before, more have popped in my head since watching Korean Drama..Here's the 2nd part to my first list before, please forgive me if they've already been posted by someone else...

1. Aside from "I'm sorry" being Koreans favorite word, their 2nd favorite words to say "Aza Aza Fighting"

3. In a love triangle, the hero/heroine is always asked by a third party (usually the other part of the triangle who is in love with the hero/heroine) if they love someone...the hero/heroine immediately looks into the eyes of the person they love for 5 minutes and doesnt say a word. The person asking amazingly NEVER has a glue who the hero/heroine is in love with

5. If you're going to take a picture, you have to wave the "peace" sign or draw a heart out of your arms or flash a heart out of your hands

6. Couples are brought together by either a marriage, friendship or siblings contract

7. After a night of drinking and vomiting, it only takes an hour to sober or at least their sober by the time they reach home

Thanks for sharing more........you're right, this is absolutely true.

Guest eeyore_08

omg, this is absolutely one of the most funnie listing. Just a thot/qn, how is it that most of the korean stars do not have hair highlights ?

Guest YeeKrfan

Hahahhaha....that's sooooo funny. :w00t:

It's about time that someone come up with a list like that since we have known it all along but we still a sucker for some of those scenes...hehehe! WELLL DONE!

The one where the girl gets pregnant the 1st time - well...since they are always so young it's always very very easy for them mah, even the experts agreed that the younger you are the easier it is and the older you gets the more difficult mah...hehehe!! :phew: eg Only You, Wonderful Life

There is one more to add to the list:

When rich guy want to marry the poor girl, he will be forced to get engaged with the evil rich girl instead. And most probably so that he can walk out of the ceremony in style mah! :phew: eg. Only You, Lovers in Paris, Lovers in Prague, Stairway to Heaven..... ;)

Seems to me the rich in Korea only view marriage as a business transaction and got nothing to do with love. I guess the Chinese proverb of " Wooden door match with wooden door, bamboo door match with bamboo door" still holds true for them.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest kaasbris

This is fun to read, but I think I may give some explanation for all those things as Korean view(yeah, I am Korean, and I suspect I am the only Korean in this forum?):

1) Hot, rich, younger men love fat, older vulgar women.

Perhaps the case of "Kim Sam Sun"? Usual case be opposite in my view. e.g. Bae Yong-Jun with Choi Ji-woo in WInter Sonata, well too many opposite cases to name.

In real life in Korea, well, same as other part of world, hot guy loves hot chcks...That's why Kim Sam Sun became so intereting.

2) If you have a best guy friend, he is in love with you. And secretly you are too.

In real life in Korea, almost yes. I cannot imagine a guy who keep good close friendship with a girl even though he do not have feeling of love. They just have no time to do so. :(

3) You and your boyfriend will always playfully chase each other on an ice rink, at the beach, or in the leaves. And you'll laugh for no reason and your boyfriend will hit you "playfully" but the force of his push will have you flying across the room. But it's okay. Cuz you're still laughing like a crazy person.

In real life in Korea, chase be somewhat yes in very close relationship. For latter part of "push" or "flying", I have no idea of what drama shows that, sorry.

4) Brothers/cousin/uncles-newphews will always love the same girl.

Yeah, that's funny part, even though I've never seen around me...

5) You're allowed to make uturns wherever you want in Korea. And there is never traffic on the side you want to u turn to.

There are many U-turn-spots on the road in Seoul, a taxi driver will make a hundred legal u-turns a day. They are allowed u-turn when light is red, which means opposite direction is always empty.

But it's also true that, on emergency, Koreans will make u-turn illegally - which means not on u-turn spots, however, it is always done while light is red, which means again opposite direction is empty.

6) There is a super quick payment device that allows you to pay a bill quickly enough for a guy to run immediately out of a restaurant after his angry girlfriend storms out.

hehe, but I am sure no one wants to see that. :huh:

7) Everyone has cancer.

Cancer has been 1st reason of death in Korea for over 20 years. Having said that, it might be natural to die of cancer or accident, if He/She have to die in Korea. However, I think there are too many death in kdrama.

8) If you're sick, all you need is an IV to make you feel lots better.

Sorry, but what is IV?

9) There is vomit and urine all over Seoul at nights.

For vomit, person who enjoys nightlife much, will see quite a lot at night in Seoul, practically till morning when cleaned. :sweatingbullets:

For urine, none. But it was common comical situation used a lot in drama, and still used.

10) Fighting at a pojangmacha with a random stranger is merely part of a normal night's event.

This is interesting point. It can really happen all the time in Seoul, if you are drunken and keep bugging stranger next seat or opposite case, it can lead to argue, in rare case, even to real fight.

If exaggerated, atmosphere in pojangmacha maybe similar to that of 19th century western or bar in slum of NYC. B)

11) Soju must cost 10 cents. Everyone drinks it everyday all the time, especially the poor people.

Soju is cheap around 1USD (or 3 USD in restaurant) which Koreans drink a lot, especially poor people/worker loves it. It's so natural to talk over soju when they have problem.(even rich)

12) If you're rich, you're a jerk.

That's soap opera is all about...at least in Korea. Rich don't watch soap opera, and poorer one wants to believe that themselves are good, and rich are jerk. :lol:

13) If you're poor, you're an angel.

Same as 12)

14) Women sleep and wake up with a full set of makeup on.

hehe, this is good point. :sweatingbullets:

15) You're not studying hard enough unless you get a nosebleed.

Ah well, isn't it common sense??? :P Actually koreans believe so.

16) If you have a nosebleed, you most definately have cancer. And you have no money to pay for the surgery that will save your life. And your liver is missing. We're not sure where it went, but it's making your cancer progress faster.

OMG, that's good point, which I don't like...but not sure about "liver"thingy.

17) If you work in a sool jeep, you have massively curly hair and wear flashy colors from the early 90's.

hehe, that's common.

18) You always order orange juice or coffee at a cafe. And you never drink it. EVER.

agreed.

19) You will always call your boyfriend by his job title. Or simply sunbaenim. Never his name. Never. He doesn't have one.

"Calling by name" from girl friend is somewhat rare in real life.

Girls loves to call "oppa" to boyfriend. (meaning "elder brother")

There are only 2 case of calling by name from girl:

a. they are of same age. (or girl is older)

b. their character is quite strict to formality. (thus they call the name with "-ssi")

20) If you TRULY love each other, you must die together in the end. Frozen outside instead of finding shelter like sane people. Just frozen....

hehe, I guess that's what people want :D

21) You go to America you come back miraculously successful. You go to England you come back amazingly fashionable. You stay in Korea the only thing that changes is your hairstyle.

Recent report says going America is not good idea to make money for Koreans.

But "coming back rich" has been dream for all America goers.

Actually if they do not succeed, they will pretend to be so when come back... :wacko:

For drama, yeah, silly.

22) And if you come back with no apparent reason then it's because you have cancer.

Hmmm, actually I believe American health care will cost less :P

23) Everyone always goes to the same hospital no matter where they are.

Especially so when oen of main character works in that hospital.

24) If you stand out in the rain for more than five minutes, you'll end up with a fever and vertigo and people will rush you to the hospital to get some magic IV. And instead of taking an ambulance or driving they'll race you on their back.

Hmmm, this is debatable :P Standing over 5 minuits' raining (without umbrealla) usually cause fever, no??? and again what is IV?

Race on the back is dramatic absolutely :D

25) Even if you're poor and can't eat, you never wear the same clothes twice.

Depends on how poor actually, because Koreans tend to spend much on clothes, poor or not.(also mobile phone)

But if she changes clothes even if she have no food, wow that's hilarious! :blink:

For drama, is it just to keep viewers from changing channel, by providing another eye-candy???

26) If you play a poor kid, you always have dirt on your face and your hair is always messy.

sigh, agreed.

27) If you're saving someone from being hit from a car, you'll push them out of the way and wait for the car to hit you instead. biggrin.gif couldnt be more true, their like a deer in headlights

hehe, so dramatic.

28) Everyone has a long lost sister/brother/twin. Usually one they didn't know about.

Kind of fact. there were 10 million separated family in Korea after Korean war (population of Korea is 45 mil.)

29) If you don't want to answer your phone, you can't just turn it off. The battery

needs to be taken out.

Only Scychologist may prove if they feel better when battery is out than turn it off. :P

Just curious, if caller gets same message in case of turn off and battery out.

30) All korean men can drink hard, smoke long, sing well and play piano. Usually all at the same time. And at the same restaurant that has a piano that they let anyone use.

A kind of korean man stereo-type: drink hard, play hard, work hard, smoke hard, errr singing "hard" :P

Piano is reserved for alternative guy.

Anyone can ask restaurant to use piano if it has one, always accpeted if not taken by other, as it is regarded as very cultured manner for customer to play piano, but it is very rare to find such brave customer.

31) If you're in a relationship, you must at one point leave and have your lover tearfully come RIGHT before you board the plane (vice versa applies as well. You can be the chaser). 60% of the time you see each other, the other 40% you're roaming around in circles and pass each other about six times, but miraculously never see them.

Never tried? it's exciting!!! :lol:

32) If you're getting off a plane, you're ALWAYS wearing sunglasses. ALWAYS.

hehe, decades ago, sunglasses were regarded as symbol of the Rich who arrived at airport.

I guess producers should find out various way.

33) All guys wear hideous tracksuits zipped up to their neck. Even if all they're doing is jumproping.

It's like pajama for Korean men. :P

34) Girls will always storm off because they're mad and the guy will stoically grab them by the arm and swing them back- and by magic, not dislocate their shoulders.

Perhaps girls got used to it, as it happened so often?

Personally I believe Korean girls loves to storm off! :sweatingbullets:

35) Guys always look like they're 6 feet tall, even if they're only 5'10. Thank you camera angles.

But you noticed! :rolleyes:

36) Guys like to wear foundation, eyeliner and sometimes a smudge of lipliner.

In real life, no. But for actors, always yes.

37) You always get stuck in an elevator with someone who makes you feel uncomfortable. Even if there are six different elevators, you'll always be stuck in the same one with that bastard you hate (or just fought with).

hehe, true somewhat. except...if there are 6 elevators in a building of 12-story, 2 for odd-story, 2 for even-story, 1 for basement garage, 1 for freight, which makes the probability to come across antagonist 50% (if each be separated by odd/even), or 100%(if both be odd/even).

38) Unless you're fabulously rich, your in-laws will always hate you.

OMG. That's killer! sad but true. :(

39) So will your sister-in-law.

same as above

40) Your brother-in-law might be pining away for you.

no idea what "pinning away" means. brother-in-laws tend to be kind, though.

41) There are only 2 ways to kiss. You either press your lips against theirs with your mouth completely shut, and just press away for a very long and uncomfortable time. OR you devour the other person and suck out their soul. In both instances, the world spins.

hehe world spins :lol:

42) A guy will always get the right size ring, even if you're never held hands.

He should have asked the size of hand to her friends. :rolleyes:

43) People stare off into space and ponder a lot. They'll just stop in the middle of the road and watch a leaf on a tree for a good three minutes, and just ponder.

it's good ;) try sometime. Girls tend to like it. Anyway, we cannot find stars at night in Seoul, thus when we go outside, tend to watch space or nature ... but not like in drama :lol: (but girls still want it in drama-way)

44) You'll get pregnant the first time you have sex.

:w00t:

45) You'll get pregnant if he kisses you on the forehead.

Kissing forehead has profound meaning: 1) He is really in deep love with her (not asking sex) 2) thus she will be more comportable and relax (thus accept his asking sex) 3) pregnant :w00t: (just joking)

46) Hell- you'll get pregnant if you hold hands.

same as above

47) If you overcome great obstacles to be together, one of you must die. Probably due to cancer.

typical melodrama tragedy, huh?

48) One korean man can kick the butts of 6 gangstas. Especially when they all stand in a circle and attack the guy one by one. Then when each of them get their butts OWNED, they wise up and attack the guy at the same time. Then the guy will get pulverized and bleed out onto the dusty concrete floor of the empty warehouse they've found to fight in. There will be a fire in a trashcan somewhere. And the girl will have watched this the entire time, screaming in horror. Instead of calling 119, she'll just watch and cry. But it's okay. Cuz the next day the guy will be fine with a few random bandages and a few face scars. But never a black eye.

Koreans are heavily influenced by Bruce Lee B) ... in lesser extent, thus only 6.

49) It ain't a real fight unless the gangstas fight dirty with a stick or switchblade.

Koreans are heavily influenced by Bruce Willice B) as well ... in lesser extent, thus only stick, no gun.

50) If you study in the states (perferably Harvard), you are one of the top students and can speak perfect English (as assumed by the reactions of those around you). Why the rest of the world OUTSIDE of the TV can't understand a single word uttered out of your melodramatic mouth is beyond me.

English seems to be such difficult language for Koreans, honestly, especially speaking, especially for Korean-born-actors. After all, Korean producers didn't expect World will watching their products. :lol:

credit: inbi & sexybi

Thanx! this is absolutely fun.

Guest timlaiquakhu

This is true and I want to add something in number 6. They always have a bad impression about each other before the contract/become the couple.

EX: Sweet 18, Full house, Goong, My girl, and MNIKSS

1) If you're rich, you can any information of anyone you want.

Archived