How do I convince my parents to let me audition for SM?

Guest pupball567

Guest pupball567

I need advice.
I'm pretty sure there are similar questions like this online, but I'll feel better if I ask anyway. So I guess it's time to introduce myself...sort of.

I'm 13 years old in 7th grade going to 8th soon. I live in California. Filipino :D. I LOVE singing and dancing. And I want to be singer/dancer/musician in South Korea. (I want to join SM)

Now for the more detailed stuff...(sorry it's so long =,=)

They both know I sing/dance. I've danced a little bit of Lucifer in front of them (the tutting part) and they got big smiles on their faces...which made me want to dance more for them, but at that time that was all I knew. I wanna keep doing that though. I just want to dance and make them smile again! But it's sort of embarrassing.

BUT! I got up the courage and told her about the whole moving to South Korea today. And how SM pays for the school/living expenses, and what the trainees do. But since mom doesn't know ANYTHING about K-pop music and how companies work she doesn't trust SM Entertainment. 

Plus she told me that I won't be able to finish college and that the whole "korean" thing is just an obsession that won't get me anywhere. *big sigh* she's real disappointed (remember we're all Filipino here)....what else can I do to convince her? Should I just try and audition behind her back? Then if I pass try to convince her?(Even though I'll feel real bad)But right now I sort of want to just tell them that I want to go to the Philippines for high school, so over there I'll be able to audition online w/out being discouraged.

I've always been positive about this despite my race/face/and other negative things people said about going down this road and I'm still trying my best to show her. I know this is gonna be a lot of work and that my chances are little, but I REALLY want to do this. So I'm not gonna give up. (Plus she said it MAYBE if we had any relatives there)...she said MAYBE with that exception ^_^ that means she'll be okay as long as there's someone w/ me....at least I think so....but maybe I'm being to hopeful again. lol

Plz give me more advice on what to do!

And I also want to know if I can go to college while doing all this too! Um...one more thing. I'm sorry for making you read all this >,<' It's just something that I don't know how to go about with. Anyways THANK YOU! :D

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Taenew

Just audition, and if you get interest from the company and they want you it'll be a lot easier to convince because your parents would be able to go through the contract and talk directly to the company

Guest starzXshinee

Just audition!

My cousin told me the most parents discourage you from even trying to audition because they do not want you to be sad if you do not pass. I like that reasoning, so base on that, just prove to your parents that you are capable of making it in.

And if you do pass, someone who works in SM can tell your parents more about SM so they know that you are in good hands. [not convince your mum to let join though]

Guest pupball567

Hm...I'll try auditioning. And if I don't pass then I can try again! So there's nothing to lose right? Thanks for taking the time to read all that hehe sweatingbullets.gif sorry. 

Guest something-like

its kind of true...'hallyu' is becoming just an obsession for most people. What are you gonna do after your idol life? And why JUST SM? Ask yourself if you TRULY want to sing/dance...your goal should not just be SM

First can you give me us a video of you singing or something so that the community can actually gauge if you have potential to be able to make it. Sorry but I think its pnly right that you deserve tp know if you have any chqance of making it in or not. If you sontb have vocal taalent you need to know that you don't have a chamce before devoting your entire life. You're still a kid as much as yoh may deny it and you don't realize the full scope of what ur doing

Guest MyNameIs_Luka

I agree with Something-Like...If this is truly your apassion then you should seek other avenues and interests in your field in singing or dancing..And I gotta ask you "Why SM Entertainment?" You are only limiting yourself to only one company and selling yourself short if you are only focusing to get into SM Entertainment. Also have you ever tried to become a singer and dancer in your own community? If this is truly your passion then you should start where you are most familiar within your society.

Guest pupball567

its kind of true...'hallyu' is becoming just an obsession for most people. What are you gonna do after your idol life?  And why JUST SM? Ask yourself if you TRULY want to sing/dance...your goal should not just be SM

Being famous isn't a big thing for me..it isn't really one of my ambitions (even though it looks fun...) I want to dance and sing in front of people, perform basically, but right now I'm uncomfortable doing it on my own so being in a group is the way I want to go. That's why I like how they do entertainment in South Korea (in groups). 

I don't know any other way to do that, except for idol life (sorry I don't know what else to call it), trying to get one of those jobs as an entertainer at a restaurant or other places, and being in those dance groups like the ones that perform around my community (to tell you the truth I want to do that too! but they don't sing....T-T )

But if you mean that I shouldn't just aim for the company SM....I've also wanted to go for JYP, YG, Wooliment, DSP, etc. it's just that I don't have as much information (I don't know how some companies do auditions, what the offer for their trainees, etc.)

And after idol life I plan to do something with kids like becoming a preschool teacher, pediatrician, if not I want to work as a private piano teacher. (I know that those jobs require college, except for the private piano teacher one...at least I think, but I want to go to college during this idol time like one of the members of SHINee. I'm still trying to imagine how hard that will be, but you don't know until you try right?)

Guest pupball567

I agree with Something-Like...If this is truly your apassion then you should seek other avenues and interests in your field in singing or dancing..And I gotta ask you "Why SM Entertainment?" You are only limiting yourself to only one company and selling yourself short if you are only focusing to get into SM Entertainment. Also have you ever tried to become a singer and dancer in your own community? If this is truly your passion then you should start where you are most familiar within your society.

Hm....I'm gonna start and try to find other 'avenues and interests in my field in singing and dancing'. I kind of stopped searching ever since I learned how this k-pop stuff worked.  But I really want to be in a group. (Because I'm not confident enough to be solo...I'm not exactly the most experienced performer there is sweatingbullets.gif) And I don't think there are groups in my community that sing/dance.

And of course I also want to go for other companies, but I don't know much information about them. And I want to be able to tell my mom as much as I can about the company I'm going to audition for.

Guest ShrimpCrackerrr

Being famous isn't a big thing for me..it isn't really one of my ambitions (even though it looks fun...) I want to dance and sing in front of people, perform basically, but right now I'm uncomfortable doing it on my own so being in a group is the way I want to go. That's why I like how they do entertainment in South Korea (in groups). 

I don't know any other way to do that, except for idol life (sorry I don't know what else to call it), trying to get one of those jobs as an entertainer at a restaurant or other places, and being in those dance groups like the ones that perform around my community (to tell you the truth I want to do that too! but they don't sing....T-T )

But if you mean that I shouldn't just aim for the company SM....I've also wanted to go for JYP, YG, Wooliment, DSP, etc. it's just that I don't have as much information (I don't know how some companies do auditions, what the offer for their trainees, etc.)

And after idol life I plan to do something with kids like becoming a preschool teacher, pediatrician, if not I want to work as a private piano teacher. (I know that those jobs require college, except for the private piano teacher one...at least I think, but I want to go to college during this idol time like one of the members of SHINee. I'm still trying to imagine how hard that will be, but you don't know until you try right?)

you def can not study in college and take the required courses required for those careers while you are an idol. you will not have the time.. you'll be in and out of class depending on your idol schedules.. unless you attend college for like 10 years or more.. but that's a waste of money. if you do end up becoming those two jobs and you studied for them WHILE you were an idol.. i would not trust my children with you..

Guest MyNameIs_Luka

Hm....I'm gonna start and try to find other 'avenues and interests in my field in singing and dancing'. I kind of stopped searching ever since I learned how this k-pop stuff worked.  But I really want to be in a group. (Because I'm not confident enough to be solo...I'm not exactly the most experienced performer there is *quoted image*) And I don't think there are groups in my community that sing/dance.

And of course I also want to go for other companies, but I don't know much information about them. And I want to be able to tell my mom as much as I can about the company I'm going to audition for.

First things first you've gotta build your confidence and stage presence...No matter if you are in a group or if you debuting solo, if you have none of these things they can kick you out...Their was a trainee under YG family who was supposed to debut with Big Bang...But his stage presence sucked and you could tell he was really shy on stage, so they had to kick him out. Also don't depend on too much on the company to train you...Ever since the whole DBSK and JYJ lawsuit they had to cut down the training years from 5+ years to only 3 years..It seems to me SM is starting to look for trainees with a bit more edge and who has some form of professional training in their field that they are auditioning for. Since you are young I recommend taking some vocal and dance lessons (professionally) before you audition...That way you are ahead of the other auditionees and you can see ho hard it is to really train for this type of entertainment field.

Guest pupball567

you def can not study in college and take the required courses required for those careers while you are an idol. you will not have the time.. you'll be in and out of class depending on your idol schedules.. unless you attend college for like 10 years or more.. but that's a waste of money. if you do end up becoming those two jobs and you studied for them WHILE you were an idol.. i would not trust my children with you..

So what you're saying is that I can't do this while going to college?

First things first you've gotta build your confidence and stage presence...No matter if you are in a group or if you debuting solo, if you have none of these things they can kick you out...Their was a trainee under YG family who was supposed to debut with Big Bang...But his stage presence sucked and you could tell he was really shy on stage, so they had to kick him out. Also don't depend on too much on the company to train you...Ever since the whole DBSK and JYJ lawsuit they had to cut down the training years from 5+ years to only 3 years..It seems to me SM is starting to look for trainees with a bit more edge and who has some form of professional training in their field that they are auditioning for. Since you are young I recommend taking some vocal and dance lessons (professionally) before you audition...That way you are ahead of the other auditionees and you can see ho hard it is to really train for this type of entertainment field.

Thank you for the advice. I'll try to find ways to get better with my stage presence and become more confident. But some people say that 13 is an old age to audition. Do you think I'll still have a chance as a 15 - 19 year old?

Guest Kei1512

I would say go for it - even if you fail, take it as an experience. If I fail, I'll just continue searching for other opportunites to perform - because it is my passion. If you are passionate about something, then why not? I am currently a theatre intern and a part-time musician, so it isn't one of those, "OMG I WANT TO BE FAMOUS!!!111" kind of moments... it's just something that I like to do, something that I want to do, and if you want it, then really, go for it.

Guest MyNameIs_Luka

Thank you for the advice. I'll try to find ways to get better with my stage presence and become more confident. But some people say that 13 is an old age to audition. Do you think I'll still have a chance as a 15 - 19 year old?

Yeah I think you still have a chance....I've heard that they are really apprehensive to pick really young trainees now...Before they would pick kids as young as 9 years old to become trainees..But after the whole reconfiguration of their trainee contracts, they now have to pick trainees who are of legal age and someone that they don't have to train for long.

Guest ShrimpCrackerrr

you can do this while going to college but you cant pick majors with rigorous coursework like pediatricians and teachers.. most idols who go to college pick majors related to performing arts.. you will need to pick a major that does not require a lot of work and it is okay if you miss a bunch of classes.

Guest pupball567

you can do this while going to college but you cant pick majors with rigorous coursework like pediatricians and teachers.. most idols who go to college pick majors related to performing arts.. you will need to pick a major that does not require a lot of work and it is okay if you miss a bunch of classes.

I see....but in the future I want to have kids around me....and being a private piano teacher doesn't require much...that's what my piano teacher and the people online have said. But my mom wants me to go to college...so I don't know...

I would say go for it - even if you fail, take it as an experience. If I fail, I'll just continue searching for other opportunites to perform - because it is my passion. If you are passionate about something, then why not? I am currently a theatre intern and a part-time musician, so it isn't one of those, "OMG I WANT TO BE FAMOUS!!!111" kind of moments... it's just something that I like to do, something that I want to do, and if you want it, then really, go for it.

I will go for it soon! :) But I need to build my confidence and skills. And I have a question for you. Did you go to college?

Guest Blue.Haneul

OMG this is exactly my mum!!

She's filipino too and my dad is pakistani which makes it worse because of the whole asian thing -.-

I love singing though i'm a little crap at it and because of Taemin i started to dance too. I've got the confidence problem too so yeah.. -.- 

Any ways -i took the guilt trip on them and it went a little like this (learn from your ateh my friend :D)

"Mum what would you do if i were to become famous?"

"I dunno...? Be...happy -.- That goes without saying?"

"What would you do if i bought you a car in the blink of an eye?"

"I'd marry you myself" -.- minus the incest-ness 

"Would you let me go be a celebrity in asia?"

"Why not... do you want to be one?"

"Yes. I mean i've wanted to be one since i was 3"

"I know that but you do know you have to sacrifice a lot...like school. What if you fail at it and you just lose your education with this stupid obsession with korean people?"

"What if i don't? What will you do if some guy from a korean entertainment company comes up to me and says he wants to scout me?"

"Then i'll let you go, so long as you study something else as well as music."

Well that NEVER happened --i got backhanded with a fish -.- She wants me to be a lawyer, so does my dad, they think i have no chance and i will definitely prove them wrong. The fact that YOUR parents KNOWS that you can sing and dance well gives you more hope to convincing them. You just CAN'T give up.

My dad hates me for wanting to move to Philippines in the first place but i always think something is waiting for me there. But i can't reach it in the first place. 

So~ If you want it as bad as i do [probably more] then go behind her back, pass, tell her you passed --you'd have to do another round as well so keep that in mind -- the fact that you've passed makes your parents think you have SOME chance of being a star, if you DO pass the second audition then just study something else WHILST training :)

Hwaiting!! 

Guest Kei1512

Not yet, but I've graduated from high school and I do have a place in college, but as of now, no. I'm not in college yet.

Archived