How do I convince my parents to let me audition for SM?

Guest pupball567

Guest Natasya-Pard

Wait, I don't understand why would you want to be an idol if your career goal is to be a teacher... I mean its understandable if you want to end up being an actress or singer in the end because then you would already have fans you would support you. If you want to end up being a teacher you will need to get your education... And having the idol's life will only get in the way or your education...

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest pupball567

Wait, I don't understand why would you want to be an idol if your career goal is to be a teacher... I mean its understandable if you want to end up being an actress or singer in the end because then you would already have fans you would support you. If you want to end up being a teacher you will need to get your education... And having the idol's life will only get in the way or your education...

Right now I just want to sing and dance in front of people..and being a piano teacher doesn't have any requirements. You just need a piano, experience, and good advertising.

Guest Natasya-Pard

Right now I just want to sing and dance in front of people..and being a piano teacher doesn't have any requirements. You just need a piano, experience, and good advertising.

Nope.. being a good piano teacher you need a grade 8 certificate/diploma from a recognized music academy and experience... If you don't have any of these requirement you won't be able to teach in music academies or will be able to do private tuition with a high salary... And if you want to sing and dance can't you do that in your neighborhood... I mean you are not trying to be an idol for the fame right? It's harder now to get a job without getting adequate education... If you want to be a piano teacher then study and practice hard to get into Berkley college in Boston... and you can also sing and dance for the community...

Guest pupball567

Nope.. being a good piano teacher you need a grade 8 certificate/diploma from a recognized music academy and experience... If you don't have any of these requirement you won't be able to teach in music academies or will be able to do private tuition with a high salary... And if you want to sing and dance can't you do that in your neighborhood... I mean you are not trying to be an idol for the fame right? It's harder now to get a job without getting adequate education... If you want to be a piano teacher then study and practice hard to get into Berkley college in Boston... and you can also sing and dance for the community...

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20061209032024AAvd361

That's where I got my info. But then again they're just random people on the internet I can be wrong. Being a piano teacher is just one of the things I'm considering to do in the future. I'm not all out for it.

And getting a good education is something I want to do for my mom, but I don't think just going to college in America is enough to make me happy. Living life like that is boring. =,= At least I think so...but maybe that's just my thirteen year-oldness speaking out.

I want to go to Korea and I want to sing/play music/ DANCE/ and perform. Nothing else, but that right now is gonna make me happy. I don't have any other interests.

Please don't advise me not to audition.

Thank you for taking your time to read everything.

Guest MyNameIs_Luka

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20061209032024AAvd361

That's where I got my info. But then again they're just random people on the internet I can be wrong. Being a piano teacher is just one of the things I'm considering to do in the future. I'm not all out for it.

And getting a good education is something I want to do for my mom, but I don't think just going to college in America is enough to make me happy. Living life like that is boring. =,= At least I think so...but maybe that's just my thirteen year-oldness speaking out.

I want to go to Korea and I want to sing/play music/ DANCE/ and perform. Nothing else, but that right now is gonna make me happy. I don't have any other interests.

^ It seems to me that you are doing this because you think you have a boring life...That's the impression that I am getting from reading your posts. I am sorry for questioning your motives for pursuing such a career in Kpop entertainment, but that shouldn't be your mindset if you want to get into this. Becoming a Kpop idol is not just a day job but it's a lifestyle that will take everything out of you emotionally, mentally and physically.

Are you pursuing this because you really want this or do you merely want to attain such a lifestyle to escape your old one?

Also Natasya is right about that you have to have some form of license to teach music privately or institutionally..In most states it is considered illegal to teach without a license.

Guest Natasya-Pard

http://answers.yahoo...09032024AAvd361

I'm not telling you to not audition.. I'm just warning you about the consequences.. and I don't like the way your thinking.. of how it's so easy to be a piano teachers.. it's almost as seem as you're degrading the job... as if anyone could be a piano teacher as long as they can play piano... if that was true I would've already been a piano teacher at age 5... I have friends who are competing with a lot of people just to get into Berkeley College... so I'm just telling you that sure if you want to be an idol go ahead but don't think you would get an smooth road ahead if you want to be a piano teacher as well..

Guest pupball567

^ It seems to me that you are doing this because you think you have a boring life...That's the impression that I am getting from reading your posts. I am sorry for questioning your motives for pursuing such a career in Kpop entertainment, but that shouldn't be your mindset if you want to get into this. Becoming a Kpop idol is not just a day job but it's a lifestyle that will take everything out of you emotionally, mentally and physically.

Are you pursuing this because you really want this or do you merely want to attain such a lifestyle to escape your old one?

Also Natasya is right about that you have to have some form of license to teach music privately or institutionally..In most states it is considered illegal to teach without a license.

It's okay..you know for questioning my motives.....everyone else does it =,= .....the original question is being forgotten *sigh*... And I know it's gonna be tiring and hard. I've tried imagining the worst and I heard some trainee stories. But I REALLY want to do this! Even if everything emotionally/mentally/physically is taken out of me. I SERIOUSLY want to do this. I'll go through almost anything to get to that spot of having singing, dancing, performing in almost everyday of my life. In Korea too! (Korea's becoming another big reason why I do this. As I'm trying to learn the language, I'm learning more and more about Korea. And now I want to go there and live there.)

...How am I gonna live happily if I don't do what I want to do? I'm definitely not motivated to take on the job as a piano teacher anymore. And I don't know what else I want to do. I have no interest in anything else than this.

And when I say boring I mean it doesn't interest me. I can see how you saw it like that.

Guest pupball567

I'm not telling you to not audition.. I'm just warning you about the consequences.. and I don't like the way your thinking.. of how it's so easy to be a piano teachers.. it's almost as seem as you're degrading the job... as if anyone could be a piano teacher as long as they can play piano... if that was true I would've already been a piano teacher at age 5... I have friends who are competing with a lot of people just to get into Berkeley College... so I'm just telling you that sure if you want to be an idol go ahead but don't think you would get an smooth road ahead if you want to be a piano teacher as well..

I wasn't all that interested in being a piano teacher in the first place it was just one of the things that was on my list of "realistic jobs". That's why I have so little information about it. And I'm sorry for thinking like that. I didn't know people go through all that to become one. I like playing piano, but not  to the point of me wanting to go through that process to become a teacher.

And I'm aware of the consequences due to the comments on other posts I've made on other websites. I've heard about fainting, water diets, one hour sleep, surgery, and more. I'm sure that at least SOME of them won't happen to me, but I'm trying to get myself mentally prepared for all that. (note the word trying....I'm sure that I'm not completely prepared)

I've even experienced collapsing and fainting due to dancing too much and weird dieting(don't worry I stopped that) But that's just what I've experienced and I'm pretty sure this route is 1000 times worse than what I've experienced (especially because my mom won't be there to help me through those hard times and take care of me, but I've got to be tougher if I want to go for this)

And one more important thing, I'm sorry for making you mad (if you got mad...it sounded like you did) And I'm really sorry for being ignorant.

Again thank you for reading.

Guest Blue.Haneul

Dude listen. If you want to give up almost everything you've got -from social life, to personal life, from family to even eating what you want AND sing and dance in front of everyone then try out. It isn't JUST singing and dancing, it's personality, passion, and your need to be on stage. 

It's like water. You can't last 60 hours [sometimes more] without it. For me I can't last just an hour without listening to music or even half an our without singing unless i have to. You need to be dying to do this but feel so refreshed once you get on stage. It's a hard thing to do and sometimes you'll go into a 'slump' like what other idols talk about. Though i'm not a trainee i had my slump already. Thinking i'm useless, i'm don't need to be in this world, why the hell was music introduced to me in the first place if i can't stand on stage and sing. But play comes after work, or so it's said. If you want something, work hard for it. Right now practise more and more until you feel like you're out of ways to perfect yourself --> in which case you train professionally. That way your parent's have no choice but to let you go to the audition --there will be more in time.

I wasn't all that interested in being a piano teacher in the first place it was just one of the things that was on my list of "realistic jobs". That's why I have so little information about it. And I'm sorry for thinking like that. I didn't know people go through all that to become one. I like playing piano, but not  to the point of me wanting to go through that process to become a teacher.

And I'm aware of the consequences due to the comments on other posts I've made on other websites. I've heard about fainting, water diets, one hour sleep, surgery, and more. I'm sure that at least SOME of them won't happen to me, but I'm trying to get myself mentally prepared for all that. (note the word trying....I'm sure that I'm not completely prepared)

I've even experienced collapsing and fainting due to dancing too much and weird dieting(don't worry I stopped that) But that's just what I've experienced and I'm pretty sure this route is 1000 times worse than what I've experienced (especially because my mom won't be there to help me through those hard times and take care of me, but I've got to be tougher if I want to go for this)

And one more important thing, I'm sorry for making you mad (if you got mad...it sounded like you did) And I'm really sorry for being ignorant.

Again thank you for reading.

I think you don't understand.  You're a little kid.  Who pays for eerytthing you do, supports you with a shelter and a meal in your stomach.  

I really doubt that you understand even the slightest implications of this lifestyle at this young age.  You're like every other youngster who wants the glamorous lifestyle.  That thinks that because of a diet or "trying hard" they know what it's like.  You obviously don't.  

You didn't even probably read my post as you haven't responded to it.  

If you want to convince your parents, and you have to ask us just to be able to think of REASONS, you don't have the passion and drive to do it.'

Harsh, but true.

Guest pupball567

I think you don't understand.  You're a little kid.  Who pays for eerytthing you do, supports you with a shelter and a meal in your stomach.  

I really doubt that you understand even the slightest implications of this lifestyle at this young age.  You're like every other youngster who wants the glamorous lifestyle.  That thinks that because of a diet or "trying hard" they know what it's like.  You obviously don't.  

You didn't even probably read my post as you haven't responded to it.  

If you want to convince your parents, and you have to ask us just to be able to think of REASONS, you don't have the passion and drive to do it.'

Harsh, but true.

I'm just gonna go and try my best to convince them. I doubt that all the people who auditioned knew how hard it was going to be.

Guest MyNameIs_Luka

I'm just gonna go and try my best to convince them. I doubt that all the people who auditioned knew how hard it was going to be.

^ You know your avatar pic of yourself really befitts the attitude of this thread...No offense.

Uh, if you look at YunHo's story... that's kind of a prime example of auditioners KNOWING how hard life would be.  I think you thought wrong... 

Now you may think that I'm trying to depress you or be like every freaking adult out there that's all about practicality.  

NO, that's not true.

I just want you to think about it!  Seriously, just look at your responses, I think I want to do this... I'm not sure yet... Oh, I just got it from this random internet source.

If you're going to be serious about this, even though you're only 13 years old, start acting older because the entertainment business is tough and will force you to show your maximum potential and get real.  YunHo, was getting side jobs at a young age because his parents did not support ANY of his music-related activities.

Please post a vocal sample of at least 30 seconds so I and the rest of the community can realistically gauge your chances of getting into the entertainment industry.

Or dancing, if you're a freak (aka amazing) at dancing please post.

this happened to BoA too, her parents were against her being a singer because they thought education was much more important. However, I think it will be best if you show your parents that you have the potential and that you don't regret making this decision. Show to them that you are responsible for your own actions, I think this is what they want to see.

Guest ShrimpCrackerrr

just audition and if they like you they will accept you and i'm sure your parents will consider it more since you actually have the choice of achieving your dream.

Guest something-like

Uh, if you look at YunHo's story... that's kind of a prime example of auditioners KNOWING how hard life would be.  I think you thought wrong... 

Now you may think that I'm trying to depress you or be like every freaking adult out there that's all about practicality.  

NO, that's not true.

I just want you to think about it!  Seriously, just look at your responses, I think I want to do this... I'm not sure yet... Oh, I just got it from this random internet source.

If you're going to be serious about this, even though you're only 13 years old, start acting older because the entertainment business is tough and will force you to show your maximum potential and get real.  YunHo, was getting side jobs at a young age because his parents did support ANY of his music-related activities.

Please post a vocal sample of at least 30 seconds so I and the rest of the community can realistically gauge your chances of getting into the entertainment industry.

Or dancing, if you're a freak (aka amazing) at dancing please post.

yea please do. This will at least be a first step in showing how serious you really are

• 1 year later...
Guest cathyle101

pupball567 said:

Natasya-Pard

wrote on 21 April 2011 - 09:26 PM:

Archived